ADVERTISEMENT

Which pro sport has the best athletes?

I lean toward the best combination of attributes making the best athlete. And I disagree with Rifle's choice of basketball because I put more weight in the strength element of athleticism, where football factors larger. And again, not just any football player. Punters suck.

I stick with OLBs.

Well, now you’re changing the discussion. The question wasn’t what single position in sports requires the most athleticism. The question was what sport has the best athletes. I think that meant which sport, overall, has the best athletes instead of what single position in any sport requires the most athleticism.

In that regard, there is simply no comparison between the athleticism of an NBA starting five with five offensive lineman, punter/kicker/long snapper, most QBs, and even quite a few tight ends. Sure, RBs/WRs/CBs/OLBs/safeties could match up, but that is only about half of an NFL team’s starters.

You can play many positions in the NFL and not be very athletic. You only have one position and only then in a certain system to be not very athletic and in the NBA.

Well, now you’re changing the discussion. The question wasn’t what single position in sports requires the most athleticism. The question was what sport has the best athletes. I think that meant which sport, overall, has the best athletes instead of what single position in any sport requires the most athleticism.

In that regard, there is simply no comparison between the athleticism of an NBA starting five with five offensive lineman, punter/kicker/long snapper, most QBs, and even quite a few tight ends. Sure, RBs/WRs/CBs/OLBs/safeties could match up, but that is only about half of an NFL team’s starters.

You can play many positions in the NFL and not be very athletic. You only have one position and only then in a certain system to be not very athletic and in the NBA.
That't the problem. Most people are focusing in on position or one event. I am looking at the whole body of work.

My definition of an "athlete" is much different than most of you it seems.

There are athletes with exceptional athleticism and there are athletes who are exceptionally skilled.

Overall, I think football players and basketball (with the slight edge) players are the most athletic athletes in the world. When you see guys like Lebron, Zion, Randy Moss, Saquon Barkley, etc....doing what they're capable of doing, it's absolutely mind blowing.

With that said, I think baseball players and golfers are the most skilled athletes in the world. Hockey and soccer are extremely difficult in their own ways, but I'd prefer to ignore them.

Understand that when I'm ranking these, I'm talking about performing at the highest level.

Could Lebron James pick up a baseball glove/bat today and play first base and hit .320? No... Could you teach him to do it over years, given his natural measurable physical gifts and ATHLETICISM? Probably... Same with hockey, soccer or playing tight end.

You can't teach or train Mike Trout to be 6'9, 250 and throw down windmill dunks... Same with Drew Brees... Same with Connor McDavid... etc.

At the end of the day, the best natural athletes are NBA basketball players.

As far as learned/trained skills, I would rank hockey, baseball and golf all ahead of NBA players.

Reactions: JudgeDD
Here is one that I don't think no one has mentioned Water Polo.
You have to tread water holding a ball while some jackass tries to drown you.
In HS the water polo team needed some players for a match, so they recruited some
Basketball players (which I was one). Holy hell, you need to be in whole body physical
shape to tread and swim the match. Tougher then people may think.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhinoD
Here is one that I don't think no one has mentioned Water Polo.
You have to tread water holding a ball while some jackass tried to drown you.
In HS the water polo team needed some players for a match, so they recruited some
Basketball players (which I was one). Holy hell, you need to be in whole body physical
shape to tread and swim the match. Tougher then people may think.

Totally agree... And if we are throwing out "lesser known" sports... I did a story with a guy who is an Iron Man triathlete. I'd put those guys up against anyone in terms of conditioning/endurance.

Have you guys ever seen Phil at your local bar throw darts? The skill he has to place that thing on the board wherever he wants is an athletic trait I've seen few people have. Let him get 2 orders of wings and 4 drafts into his system and you can forget it. He might not be able to stop a 6'9 250lb athlete like LeBron James, but I'd like to see LeBron try to throw darts with his precision. No way could he do it. Phil is incredible.

Reactions: alphasig1053
Have you guys ever seen Phil at your local bar throw darts? The skill he has to place that thing on the board wherever he wants is an athletic trait I've seen few people have. Let him get 2 orders of wings and 4 drafts into his system and you can forget it. He might not be able to stop a 6'9 250lb athlete like LeBron James, but I'd like to see LeBron try to throw darts with his precision. No way could he do it. Phil is incredible.

I knew a girl who could tie a cherry stem with her tongue. Great skill, but I wouldn't call it very athletic.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Nobody mentioned gymnastics, even though it is not a pro sport. Strength, agility, and endurance are key requirements . Four different events, each one requiring special talent and training.

Reactions: johns1124
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT