ADVERTISEMENT

Will college sports fans be able to keep up?

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
I have never minded the internet broadcasts, since I live in an area with good high-speed coverage and Im young enough to understand how technology works. And I agree that 15-20 years from now the internet will be where we watch everything, as people continue to cut cable/satellite in favor of whatever streaming service is best for them (and as elderly people pass on).

That said, in the current day and age, television and the ability to be seen on it is still important and our current TV deal is pretty awful.

Interesting read from Awful Announcing about rural states and the increasing number of games on the internet.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/college-sports-rural-fans-broadband-demands-streaming-services.html

BTW, if Lyons thinks there are only 400K people in WV without stream capable internet, he is an idiot.

However the main point I get out of this is that the internet is the future of sports TV, and not just for mid-major basketball and G5 football. We are ahead of the curve.

CUSA did do something more forward thinking in going streaming. They've used facebook and the like for it.
Simple minded folks complain about it because 'dem tech folks be too smart so I jes cuss 'n get mad' but it really is how sports and everything is going to be.
It isn't perfect, but CUSA and other conferences are the lab rats for the P5's who'll eventually move over for the same thing.
You can get ESPN+, Disney+, and Hulu I believe for like $12.99 a month.
It wouldn't surprise me if conferences did the same thing with TV package bundles with say ESPN, so they could have the high level production and also getting their own exclusivity as subscriptions are becoming more and more exact in terms of selection.

But...

CUSA and the commish have absolutely FAILED at making the product better or even profitable. You have the whole damn internet to work with and this is the best you can get? I don't know how conference commissioners work, but if there were ever a time to boot that dumb bitch out, it'd be now. CUSA has a chance to tap into a viewer market that you don't have with other conferences. Instead she's cluelessly wandering around the HQ in Texas, just nodding her head in agreement with whatever idiotic AD comes her way with an equally non-forward thinking idea.
Goodness, if CUSA had literally anyone else with a pulse and a set of good ideas, I bet streaming would be a much better experience for everyone, and MU would be better marketed as would the rest of the schools.
But, beyond MU's control, this conference is just happy to exist.

I would agree that the future looks like the internet is the winner. However cable could adapt and add a pay pack where you get a basic lineup of say 15-20 channels.and then pick the rest. I would love that if my Direct TV cost would go down. I would add sports and a few others for the wife. I don't want or need 150 + channels

Those idiots in the SEC, Big 10 and ACC just are slow to react and can't figure it out. hahahahhahaha.

SEC is on SEC Extra, a sub-part of ESPN+ internet.
Big 10 is on btnplus.com, a separate pay extra internet service in partnership with Fox.
ACC is on ACC Extra, a sub-part of ESPN+ internet.

Try to keep up, K?

CUSA did do something more forward thinking in going streaming. They've used facebook and the like for it.
Simple minded folks complain about it because 'dem tech folks be too smart so I jes cuss 'n get mad' but it really is how sports and everything is going to be.
It isn't perfect, but CUSA and other conferences are the lab rats for the P5's who'll eventually move over for the same thing.
You can get ESPN+, Disney+, and Hulu I believe for like $12.99 a month.
It wouldn't surprise me if conferences did the same thing with TV package bundles with say ESPN, so they could have the high level production and also getting their own exclusivity as subscriptions are becoming more and more exact in terms of selection.

But...

CUSA and the commish have absolutely FAILED at making the product better or even profitable. You have the whole damn internet to work with and this is the best you can get? I don't know how conference commissioners work, but if there were ever a time to boot that dumb bitch out, it'd be now. CUSA has a chance to tap into a viewer market that you don't have with other conferences. Instead she's cluelessly wandering around the HQ in Texas, just nodding her head in agreement with whatever idiotic AD comes her way with an equally non-forward thinking idea.
Goodness, if CUSA had literally anyone else with a pulse and a set of good ideas, I bet streaming would be a much better experience for everyone, and MU would be better marketed as would the rest of the schools.
But, beyond MU's control, this conference is just happy to exist.

The words marketing, streaming, and Marshall don't go together. I actually laugh when I think about it.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
The harshest part about streaming is watching a Marshall away football game on Facebook and seeing that there are only about 4,500 streams running concurrently, which spikes to 5,000 in the last half of the 4th quarter when Vegas tunes in.

The announce team during the Charlotte game kept saying UNCC was expecting a sellout before the rain, all the while the number in the corner of my screen says no one south of Beckley is watching.

I would agree that the future looks like the internet is the winner. However cable could adapt and add a pay pack where you get a basic lineup of say 15-20 channels.and then pick the rest. I would love that if my Direct TV cost would go down. I would add sports and a few others for the wife. I don't want or need 150 + channels

Hulu Live - you should check it out.

They just increased their monthly rate from $45 to $55, but I get all of my local channels/local news, the major networks, sports channels like ESPN/ESPN 2/ESPN U/FS1/FS2/CBS Sports Network/SEC/ACC/NBCSC/Big 10 Network/Golf Channel/a few more, all of the major news networks (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, Fox Business, CNN International, CNBC), and dozens more including A&E, Bravo, Discovery, Vice, USA, Tru TV, TNT, TLC, History Channel, HGTV, FX, Disney and its offspring, E!, and many others.

The only channels I don't get that I would possibly want are the music ones: BET, MTV, VH-1.

My televisions other than my projector are all Samsung, so I also get another 100+ channels for free including a ton of music stations and movie stations. With Hulu Live, you also get the regular Hulu which gives you just about every television program that is popular to watch at any time, DVR type capabilities, etc., though I've never used regular Hulu.

I believe Herdman's comment was "tongue in cheek". Try to keep up!

I believe Herdman’s comments were a part of his daily anti-CUSA campaign. He didn’t know that EVERY POWER 5 conference has an internet based element to its video package. WIth more every year. Probably he should refrain from commenting on issues without full information in the future.

Reactions: Herd1972
CUSA and the commish have absolutely FAILED at making the product better or even profitable.

I think we all need to wake up to reality. What more could they have done? Seriously? What can you do to cause a casual football fan to make time to watch UNC-C vs UTSA? We don't even care about these teams and we are in this conference. At some point the product is what it is. Bad. Most of the teams in the is conference don't even have fan bases and the networks know that.

There has been talk of al-a-carte programming for a couple years now. The networks overspent on conference deals and before long all you're going to see on TV are the prime matchups. What the internet feeds are going to be there for is to service other fan bases. Much like back when we were in FCS before the arrival of that ESPN Regional Channel. I forget what they called it. Heck it might have been ESPN+. What did we have before that THN? Keith and Sonny calling the games. About the only people that watched it were Herd fans and people in the region.

College sports has spent itself back in time. Most programs cannot keep pace. Unless the playing field is leveled, college football is going to look a lot like it did in the 80s to early 90s and maybe before that.

The only way Marshall or any team is going to get exposure is to win, make bigger bowls, and not only make but maintain in the top 25.

Last edited:
The harshest part about streaming is watching a Marshall away football game on Facebook and seeing that there are only about 4,500 streams running concurrently, which spikes to 5,000 in the last half of the 4th quarter when Vegas tunes in.

The announce team during the Charlotte game kept saying UNCC was expecting a sellout before the rain, all the while the number in the corner of my screen says no one south of Beckley is watching.

Let's be honest. If it were on ESPN there wouldn't have been much more. That was a bad game featuring bad teams. No one outside of the respective fan bases and football junkies were watching that game.

…….does this not strike anyone else that there is a storm brewing against taking the time & $$ to drive to a home or away (esp) football game? I was texting w/ a friend before the game Saturday. I asked him: "Are you going to the game?" He texted back: "well, it's on espn+, so I'll just watch it that way."
When my parents generation dies off, (sooner rather than later) people born in the 30's and 40's, you're going to see a much bigger drop off in attendance for schools like us. Going to take a lot of talent to be able to drive revenue...…..

I think we all need to wake up to reality. What more could they have done? Seriously? What can you do to cause a casual football fan to make time to watch UNC-C vs UTSA? We don't even care about these teams and we are in this conference. At some point the product is what it is. Bad. Most of the teams in the is conference don't even have fan bases and the networks know that.

There has been talk of al-a-carte programming for a couple years now. The networks overspent on conference deals and before long all you're going to see on TV are the prime matchups. What the internet feeds are going to be there for is to service other fan bases. Much like back when we were in FCS before the arrival of that ESPN Regional Channel. I forget what they called it. Heck it might have been ESPN+. What did we have before that THN? Keith and Sonny calling the games. About the only people that watched it were Herd fans and people in the region.

College sports has spent itself back in time. Most programs cannot keep pace. Unless the playing field is leveled, college football is going to look a lot like it did in the 80s to early 90s and maybe before that.

The only way Marshall or any team is going to get exposure is to win, make bigger bowls, and not only make but maintain in the top 25.

o_O

I believe Herdman’s comments were a part of his daily anti-CUSA campaign. He didn’t know that EVERY POWER 5 conference has an internet based element to its video package. WIth more every year. Probably he should refrain from commenting on issues without full information in the future.

Yehh, Sam, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know the Power 5 have those things. You are so smart.

…….does this not strike anyone else that there is a storm brewing against taking the time & $$ to drive to a home or away (esp) football game? I was texting w/ a friend before the game Saturday. I asked him: "Are you going to the game?" He texted back: "well, it's on espn+, so I'll just watch it that way."
When my parents generation dies off, (sooner rather than later) people born in the 30's and 40's, you're going to see a much bigger drop off in attendance for schools like us. Going to take a lot of talent to be able to drive revenue...…..

That's already been happening...and not even to Marshall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ml...ate-to-start-selling-beer.html?outputType=amp

This one is almost 5 years old.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-concern-students-show-college-football-games

Mike Aresco has managed to distract America, at least ESPN, into thinking a bunch of leftover schools from an often debated "BCS conference" along with several directional schools from an even lesser conference, into something worth a billion dollars.
If he can do that with aging cable...imagine streaming.
Granted, and he knows this, the AAC is still quite far from being anywhere near a P5 conference, but he doesn't care...enough to brand the AAC a "P6" conference.
Again, this is a collective of schools that got rejected by the Big 12, who sought someone to bring in, really any value, that couldn't even top...Iowa State? Not even top, just be on par.

Aresco likely said, "look, you need to spend money, lots of it. We need to 'act' like a P5 conference. We need to believe we're one of them." Which the committed programs have done.
In return, they're all over the place.

I'm not saying CUSA is gonna call itself a P7 conference or anything, but Judy hasn't marketed CUSA having an affiliation with the NFL network that any other commish would. I'd market the hell out of that! I'd put the NFL logo everywhere I legally could during a broadcast. I'd actually talk to FB and ole Zuckerberg and ask about marketing the teams with more exposure. What can FB so, what can we do? Does she even know how FB works?

Most of all, I'd tell every AD they need to step their game up. Get creative, do whatever you do, but make your programs better. Spend money on them, hype them, give students a reason to go to games.

Judy doesn't give the conference a sense of urgency and a need to market itself more. She'll never shake down the AD's to make them actually spend money and get creative in marketing themselves to their own cities/states.
Thats whats killing CUSA, its a boat race with no wind, sails, paddles, or engines...everyone's just sitting there floating to the finish line...and Judy's there, clapping her hands like Jason Garrett.

Reactions: ohio herd
We have talked a lot about attendance on here... and there are really four things that determine whether or not people care enough to show up. And before anyone gets offended, I'm not talking about us 10k or so diehards that come to every game that we possibly can.

I go to a college game almost every single weekend in the fall, between Marshall (when we are home or a nearby away game), Western Carolina (20 mins from my house) and Clemson (my buddies and I pick a game and go to Death Valley once a year). Those three universities are on very different planes of existence between P5, G5 and FCS.

In my observation, here are the four things (in order) that determine whether a relative good crowd shows up.

1. Record/win probability – The old saying "winning cures a lot of ills" is pretty spot on. If the team is bad, or underachieving, people lose interest in a hurry. Nobody wants to see their team lose and by about week six anyone with some level of basic football knowledge knows if the team is going to be worth investing their time and money on the rest of the year.

2. Weather – This one is hard because there is no way for the school to control it. But as we see regularly, if its cold, or raining, people ain't leaving the couch. Especially if the game is on tv/internet and they have the option to stay home, save money, be dry, eat what they want, etc.

3. Opponent – This matters more for Marshall and WCU since we do not have the cache or the alumni base/student body that Clemson has. But that said, even at Clemson, if they are playing a random FCS team the stadium doesn't fill up. Of course they announce a sellout, but there are a lot of empty seats and even more by halftime. At the end of the day, people want to see a competitive game between teams with some name recognition.

4. Fan experience – This is where Marshall is drastically behind the times. Even behind WCU, which is sad to say. Most colleges want people to come out, enjoy themselves, bring the kids and make a day of it. That starts with ticket deals (which Marshall usually has each week, but doesn't promote). Then lets talk concessions (ours suck outside of selling beer now) WCU has Chik-Fil-A, Bojangles, Speedy's Pizza, etc. and at better prices. How about entertainment? – Maybe a halftime show or promotion that isn't our non-marching band? How about a supervised kids zone with a ton of shit to do for kids under 12? How about clean restrooms that work properly and aren't 1/4 inch deep in what you hope is water? WCU has those things, we do not.

If you'd like an example of these four factors, look at our season-ending game against FIU where there might have been 8k people in actual attendance... Underachieving team that just choked away the East Division, awful weather, no-name opponent, no fan experience = Fans not showing up.

We have talked a lot about attendance on here... and there are really four things that determine whether or not people care enough to show up. And before anyone gets offended, I'm not talking about us 10k or so diehards that come to every game that we possibly can.

I go to a college game almost every single weekend in the fall, between Marshall (when we are home or a nearby away game), Western Carolina (20 mins from my house) and Clemson (my buddies and I pick a game and go to Death Valley once a year). Those three universities are on very different planes of existence between P5, G5 and FCS.

In my observation, here are the four things (in order) that determine whether a relative good crowd shows up.

1. Record/win probability – The old saying "winning cures a lot of ills" is pretty spot on. If the team is bad, or underachieving, people lose interest in a hurry. Nobody wants to see their team lose and by about week six anyone with some level of basic football knowledge knows if the team is going to be worth investing their time and money on the rest of the year.

2. Weather – This one is hard because there is no way for the school to control it. But as we see regularly, if its cold, or raining, people ain't leaving the couch. Especially if the game is on tv/internet and they have the option to stay home, save money, be dry, eat what they want, etc.

3. Opponent – This matters more for Marshall and WCU since we do not have the cache or the alumni base/student body that Clemson has. But that said, even at Clemson, if they are playing a random FCS team the stadium doesn't fill up. Of course they announce a sellout, but there are a lot of empty seats and even more by halftime. At the end of the day, people want to see a competitive game between teams with some name recognition.

4. Fan experience – This is where Marshall is drastically behind the times. Even behind WCU, which is sad to say. Most colleges want people to come out, enjoy themselves, bring the kids and make a day of it. That starts with ticket deals (which Marshall usually has each week, but doesn't promote). Then lets talk concessions (ours suck outside of selling beer now) WCU has Chik-Fil-A, Bojangles, Speedy's Pizza, etc. and at better prices. How about entertainment? – Maybe a halftime show or promotion that isn't our non-marching band? How about a supervised kids zone with a ton of shit to do for kids under 12? How about clean restrooms that work properly and aren't 1/4 inch deep in what you hope is water? WCU has those things, we do not.

If you'd like an example of these four factors, look at our season-ending game against FIU where there might have been 8k people in actual attendance... Underachieving team that just choked away the East Division, awful weather, no-name opponent, no fan experience = Fans not showing up.

Well said and spot on in my opinion. Hearing we are behind WCU in game day experience is pretty darn sad. Marshall officials should be ashamed.

How about clean restrooms that work properly and aren't 1/4 inch deep in what you hope is water?

I LOL'd at this. I've been attending Marshall events for a little over two decades, and I always feel like we have a feast-or-famine approach to this stuff.

If a donor steps up and drops a million on MU for new toilets, we'll go out and get Hydro-Lux 3000s with built-in bidets and wi-fi hotspots in the tanks. If not, we'll roll with what we've got until a rust hole opens up in the galvanized steel piss-troughs from 1992, and only replace those when the amount leaking from them exceeds 0.5 cubic feet per second.

Next time you're on campus, be sure to check out the bridge that connects the Henderson Center to the parking garage. The first step on either side is almost entirely rusted through. I'm sure there is a structural framework in place and that the load of the bridge does not rest on these points, but boy if it doesn't make a body nervous.

I LOL'd at this. I've been attending Marshall events for a little over two decades, and I always feel like we have a feast-or-famine approach to this stuff.

If a donor steps up and drops a million on MU for new toilets, we'll go out and get Hydro-Lux 3000s with built-in bidets and wi-fi hotspots in the tanks. If not, we'll roll with what we've got until a rust hole opens up in the galvanized steel piss-troughs from 1992, and only replace those when the amount leaking from them exceeds 0.5 cubic feet per second.

Next time you're on campus, be sure to check out the bridge that connects the Henderson Center to the parking garage. The first step on either side is almost entirely rusted through. I'm sure there is a structural framework in place and that the load of the bridge does not rest on these points, but boy if it doesn't make a body nervous.

This is SOP for Marshall. Receive a private gift, or taxpayer money, build a nice building(or whatever) then let it deteriorate due to lack of maintenance (see money). When yore broke that’s the way you roll. I know I’m painting with a broad brush but there are many examples of this all over campus.

Yes, I noticed the deterioration in the bridge at the last game

Well said and spot on in my opinion. Hearing we are behind WCU in game day experience is pretty darn sad. Marshall officials should be ashamed.

"MU AD's should be ashamed. Let's continue to complain on here and not bring it up at alumni events, hammer Hamrick with questions about it, and not stop until he gives a proper response!"

"MU AD's should be ashamed. Let's continue to complain on here and not bring it up at alumni events, hammer Hamrick with questions about it, and not stop until he gives a proper response!"

Not sure If you are mocking me or being serious. But you’ll never get a response from the AD. Don’t you remember - it’s all the fans fault.

Here's the problem.

The difference between the 3 programs are the fans' outlook on the program itself.
Clemson and WCU fans appear to have an optimistic viewpoint on the actions of their programs. While they'll be critical, they at least say, "yeah, sure, lets try that!"
They don't nitpick and seem naturally inclined to bitch and moan under the pseudo-intellectual guise of "being a realistic fan."

MU makes an effort and spends money on something, literally anything, and the fans complain MU isn't doing it right.
They then begin to show their lack of support further by saying "MU's AD is destined for mediocrity forever! Oh no! Boo-****ing-hoo!"

Seems like WCU could spend the money making their toilets better, painting goal posts, ensuring no red stains are on their bleachers, or making their program better.
Something that if MU had, like a Kids Zone to improve the experience, a major food provider, and better toilets, fans would say, "Why didn't MU use thst to fire Doc and hire someone new?! Oh nooooo!!!!"

Then again, this clashes with the convenient belief that MU should never lose a game in a conference with multiple schools in bigger cities and higher athletic budgets but is also so poor they can't afford to make the toilets cleaner or nicer.

Marshall should be doing more when they lose and isn't doing enough when they win.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Not sure If you are mocking me or being serious. But you’ll never get a response from the AD. Don’t you remember - it’s all the fans fault.

I'm just waiting for one of you to actually get some hard evidence that you legitimately ask him these questions.
You let one statement dictate the rest of your life with MU in a discouraging way then sorry...nothing will help you.

Here's the problem.

The difference between the 3 programs are the fans' outlook on the program itself.
Clemson and WCU fans appear to have an optimistic viewpoint on the actions of their programs. While they'll be critical, they at least say, "yeah, sure, lets try that!"
They don't nitpick and seem naturally inclined to bitch and moan under the pseudo-intellectual guise of "being a realistic fan."

MU makes an effort and spends money on something, literally anything, and the fans complain MU isn't doing it right.
They then begin to show their lack of support further by saying "MU's AD is destined for mediocrity forever! Oh no! Boo-****ing-hoo!"

Seems like WCU could spend the money making their toilets better, painting goal posts, ensuring no red stains are on their bleachers, or making their program better.
Something that if MU had, like a Kids Zone to improve the experience, a major food provider, and better toilets, fans would say, "Why didn't MU use thst to fire Doc and hire someone new?! Oh nooooo!!!!"

Then again, this clashes with the convenient belief that MU should never lose a game in a conference with multiple schools in bigger cities and higher athletic budgets but is also so poor they can't afford to make the toilets cleaner or nicer.

Marshall should be doing more when they lose and isn't doing enough when they win.

Just curious, what has Marshall spent money on in an attempt to get fans in the seats or create interest in attending?
Have I missed a big promotion or advertising blitz?

I'm just waiting for one of you to actually get some hard evidence that you legitimately ask him these questions.
You let one statement dictate the rest of your life with MU in a discouraging way then sorry...nothing will help you.

Well If you don’t realize that even one simple statement such as that can ruin the relationship between the customers and business, then you would be wrong. We are the customers and it’s up to the business to create the want to come and attend.
But you seem attached to Hammy pretty strongly so you can’t see that.

Mikes done a great job with schedules and facilities and I told him as such at the 2018 Fountain ceremony when Reggie Oliver spoke.
I can see both sides and don’t kiss ass.

Well If you don’t realize that even one simple statement such as that can ruin the relationship between the customers and business, then you would be wrong. We are the customers and it’s up to the business to create the want to come and attend.
But you seem attached to Hammy pretty strongly so you can’t see that.

Mikes done a great job with schedules and facilities and I told him as such at the 2018 Fountain ceremony when Reggie Oliver spoke.
I can see both sides and don’t kiss ass.

Nah, I don't allow one statement to justify bashing someone over a decade of great things done.
You are the customers, but don't get a big head thinking you're entitled to everything.

Nah, I don't allow one statement to justify bashing someone over a decade of great things done.
You are the customers, but don't get a big head thinking you're entitled to everything.

I'd say its those in the Schewey who feel entitled and everyone else be damned.

Here's the problem.

I will go out on a linb and say that youve never been to a WCU game, or know anything about their fanbase.

Theyve been trying to pressure a football coaching change for 3 or more years. If the team is bad, they are awful in the stands, on the internet, etc.

The difference in the two programs has nothing to do with the fans, in actuality that is where we are very similar. The difference is in their athletic departments willingness to do all they can to create a positive gameday experience - whether they win or lose.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Why you talking like a black drunk guy?

BTW, if Lyons thinks there are only 400K people in WV without stream capable internet, he is an idiot.

Kansas, a hotbed for college basketball, is the same. Outside of the KCK, Lawrence, Manhattan, and Wichita areas they do not have shit for broadband. The cell data coverage is bad too.

Hulu Live - you should check it out.

That and Sling are both good deals. We share a Sling log-in with my mother, so between our home and hers we each pay $25 a month. I did not know Hulu Live had locals, but we do not need that here as we are five miles from the broadcast towers and have an excellent signal.

I also subscribe to ESPN+, which gets me a good selection of games to watch, and they show a lot of soccer, which my wife likes.

4. Fan experience – This is where Marshall is drastically behind the times.

I have said this time and again. I have posted the food menu for Louisville's AAA baseball team and it is so much better than Herd football. There is also a decent selection of craft beers available there...and liquor too, but I know that won't happen at Herd games. But for fvcks sake, I pay $13 for a baseball ticket and go order pulled pork or chicken and white queso nachos and wash it down with a local craft beer. Shit, they sell turkey legs. It is the best entertainment deal in town...and that is what Herd football needs to be. A crap-ass hot dog no longer cuts it, and a $30 ticket to see an opponent like Pissant State, hahaha.

Reactions: RhinoD
I have said this time and again. I have posted the food menu for Louisville's AAA baseball team and it is so much better than Herd football. There is also a decent selection of craft beers available there...and liquor too, but I know that won't happen at Herd games. But for fvcks sake, I pay $13 for a baseball ticket and go order pulled pork or chicken and white queso nachos and wash it down with a local craft beer. Shit, they sell turkey legs. It is the best entertainment deal in town...and that is what Herd football needs to be. A crap-ass hot dog no longer cuts it, and a $30 ticket to see an opponent like Pissant State, hahaha.

Agreed... But we are much more likely to be playing Pissant International or Directional Pissant than the lofty Pissant State.

There is no reason why a school like WCU, who just canned their AD last week and is pressuring to can their football coach, should have better amenities on gameday than Marshall. None.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT