ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be more than 15k in attendance for G-W?

Sure you have.

False.

who was claiming it was a “model” society?
Well, umm, you.
The fact that parts of Maryland continues to grow and even Tuscaloosa Co has seen significant growth in population the last couple of years points to greater opportunity there currently.
OK? So the secret to growth is to be the suburbs of a bloated government or be near some R1 university. Got it. Thanks.
Again. Quit with your fake outrage at defending WV.
The only fake here is you. You live in NC.
Of course, the countless skeptics in that region will undoubtedly start with “outsider wanting change” bitching.
I didn’t notice CH calling for “change”, just criticizing the town where he is in the top 10 wage earners, and those who make that possible.

False.

Well, umm, you.

OK? So the secret to growth is to be the suburbs of a bloated government or be near some R1 university. Got it. Thanks.

The only fake here is you. You live in NC.

I didn’t notice CH calling for “change”, just criticizing the town where he is in the top 10 wage earners, and those who make that possible.
Don’t see where I claimed they were model areas. Please link me to where I said that.

I at least admit I no longer live in Huntington Sammy, unlike you. Who is actually the “fake” and what does that have to do with my point (than no one seems to be able to fully disagree with) that the Huff family may be having some challenges adjusting there. Are you really dumb enough in thinking a big paycheck fixes that?

No doubt Huff isn’t going to change the place and the culture there. It’s imbedded. Still doesn’t take away from the fact a man uprooted his family for an opportunity and just maybe….maybe he and his family are having issues adjusting to the place. With “fans” like you…frankly it’s easy to see why.

No. The secret to growth is people WANTING to be there. Again. This isn’t hard to understand. Demographic shifts don’t lie.

nah, i guess you missed where I said the subject didn't interest me.
Yet here you are trying to interject in the subject. If you don’t care, why comment? If it doesn’t interest you as to why Huff may have said living in Htgn is tough….why comment?

I have watched that comment and the few minutes surrounding it several times. I have tried to put as good of a spin on it in my head as possible. Raleigh's spin on it is about as good as anyone can do with it. That said, I can't help but feeling I agree with Sam on this one. My wife and I are in professions that could take us anywhere we wanted to go. We live on the southside of Huntington. I love it here. I winced when he said it and it was very disappointing in the context of when it was said.

Even before the way the last two weeks went I didn't assume we'd have much of a crowd given that this was pretty much a throw away game vs a second FCS team. Now add in the fact that we've looked absolutely horrible the last two weeks and it's supposed to be 58 and rainy on Saturday do you think we even get 15k in the seats for this game?
15,000 actual bodies in the seats at the Joan for this game? Nope.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Raleigh's spin on it is about as good as anyone can do with it.
What’s my spin?? Seriously.

Have you ever lived anywhere else? Moved family frequently?? Are you a minority that pulled your kids out of school, left friends, etc to move to a less diverse area? You love Htgn. Good for YOU. Not everyone is going to “love” it and I’m not offended by that.

we don’t know Huffs family situation. Maybe his wife and son are not adjusting. It’s not something to get mad about or tear someone apart for. Spend more time trying to make them feel welcome and less time bitching about a press conference. Htgn isn’t for everyone. If you loved Htgn but your wife didn’t….how “hard” would that be on you?

I’ve known quite a few professionals (non WVians) that up and moved their families from Htgn to other cities because of this. Doctors, executives, etc. Htgn wasn’t for them. Moved back to Atlanta, Lexington. Hell, I even have a family friend who moved away to Alabama with Toyota. He wanted to come back…his wife didn’t. Who do you think won that one despite both being from Htgn??

this entire attitude that suggests…because someone makes a lot of money, coaches their beloved Marshall but may not have strong connective love~ties to a city and state they’ve never lived in before….is absolutely bizarre.

Last edited:
What’s my spin?? Seriously.

Have you ever lived anywhere else? Moved family frequently?? Are you a minority that pulled your kids out of school, left friends, etc to move to a less diverse area? You love Htgn. Good for YOU. Not everyone is going to “love” it and I’m not offended by that.

we don’t know Huffs family situation. Maybe his wife and son are not adjusting. It’s not something to get mad about or tear someone apart for. Spend more time trying to make them feel welcome and less time bitching about a press conference. Htgn isn’t for everyone. If you loved Htgn but your wife didn’t….how “hard” would that be on you?

I’ve known quite a few professionals (non WVians) that up and moved their families from Htgn to other cities because of this. Doctors, executives, etc. Htgn wasn’t for them. Moved back to Atlanta, Lexington. Hell, I even have a family friend who moved away to Alabama with Toyota. He wanted to come back…his wife didn’t. Who do you think won that one despite both being from Htgn??

this entire attitude that suggests…because someone makes a lot of money, coaches their beloved Marshall but may not have strong connective love~ties to a city and state they’ve never lived in before….is absolutely bizarre.
I hate to break it to them, but this is the life of a college coach that both of them should be well aware of. You say they "uprooted" to come here. He was only at Bama for one season. Not to mention Huff has been on the move every 1-2 years.

The way Huff moves I doubt they ever unpack.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I hate to break it to them, but this is the life of a college coach that both of them should be well aware of. You say they "uprooted" to come here. He was only at Bama for one season. Not to mention Huff has been on the move every 1-2 years.

The way Huff moves I doubt they ever unpack.
From the family standpoint alone: Anyone that has kids and moved them, knows…the older your kids get…the harder the constant moving on the family. I’m sure the Huffs know this but at least they have Htgn residents reminding them to suck it up and love them.

After throwing Huntington under the bus last week and throwing his offensive line under the bus this week?! Add to that the two inexplicable losses, rain and 52 degree weather, 10,000 would be if he is lucky.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I’ve sort of lost the thread of what we are talking about. I don’t care if someone doesn’t love huntington or even doesn’t like it. But I sort of view the football coach making $800k in a college town as not just anyone. I don’t hate the man for the comment. I still support Coach Huff. Just hit me wrong coming from Marshall’s coach. Rock on.

Yes and no. He did say it's not easy living in Huntington and the players there chose to play here and live here. I know he wasn't intending to take a shot at Huntington, but no matter how you look at it, it doesn't paint the town in a very good light.
The lack of "a very good light" is More evident by the fact of a loss of 40,000 or so people in the last 50 to 60 years, a loss of many of its major industries and businesses in the same period, an overwhelming drug epidemic that has left the City swimming in a large segment of its population currently addicted to drugs or in various drug recovery/rehab programs, etc., and, of course, it's well publicized "Fat" City image, with obesity in effect being a second "epidemic", that ALL make Huntington and surrounding area hard to live in!! Those factors are a lot bigger problem for the City and area than any "observations" or comments made by the Marshall Football Coach. Those factors were around and a big "problem" long before Coach Huff and his family set foot in Huntington and, unfortunately, they'll still be a big "Negative" long after the Huffs have departed the City!!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Back to OP: 20,000 tix sold
15k butts in seats
6k after 1/2 time regardless of score
Believe the bigger issue tomorrow is the weather. Pretty certain the Herd will win in adverse conditions. My worry is that the weather will be so bad as to perhaps increase the chances of some significant injuries to the players. Hopefully Coach Huff and staff are able to give some of our "back-ups" some important PT. Week and a half after the GW game to regroup and seriously prepare for the Louisiana game on National TV. Nothing left but Conference play after GW, so the Herd Coaches, Players and FANS near to rededicate themselves/ourselves to the remaining 7 games, and hopefully the Leage Championship GAME!!!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yet here you are trying to interject in the subject. If you don’t care, why comment? If it doesn’t interest you as to why Huff may have said living in Htgn is tough….why comment?
Because I can and I wanted to mention your baseless assumptions and baseless speculation as to why coach said what he said. I can do that without having any interest in silly Tuscaloosa to Huntington comparisons.

It’s pouring the rain right now and that’s expected all day. No clue what the announced attendance will be but I’ll be surprised if there are more than 5K in the actual stands.

Because I can and I wanted to mention your baseless assumptions and baseless speculation as to why coach said what he said. I can do that without having any interest in silly Tuscaloosa to Huntington comparisons.
Yet you haven’t given any except to say “nahhh…I don’t have interest”. Very compelling on your part. I’ve at least given support to my opinion. You may want to try…oh wait. You don’t have interest

Yet you haven’t given any except to say “nahhh…I don’t have interest”. Very compelling on your part. I’ve at least given support to my opinion. You may want to try…oh wait. You don’t have interest
Now that wasn't so hard, was it? Good job

That is 100% not true. I was there and it was the smallest crowd I have ever seen in the Joan. Not sure there was even 5000
Tickets sold was 19k (that includes all the season ticket holders, corporate tickets, etc whether they show up or not)... Actual people walking in the gate... Maybe half that to start, about 5K for the second half.

It was so sparse I could pic my mom and dad out in the crowd behind the GW bench because I knew what color there rain coats were.

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT