ADVERTISEMENT

Win or lose, we are worst coached basketball team in D1.

…..and through it all, Dan stands there with his arms crossed. Meanwhile the other coach is completely invested in his team’s effort, cheering, encouraging and calling freaking timeouts when needed…..

Yeah. I was wrong about Trickett. He did suck. But so did the o-line at that point, and the QBs and receivers never got better.

So to sum up - Trickett sucks and Dan sucks. Also our QBs and WRs suck, and #4 has the lowest basketball IQ and defensive ability of any basketball player we've had in 20+ years.

Title of thread and first post pretty much spot on…..and why regardless of padded record why he won’t have the coaching legacy of the top ones in MU history

Reactions: The Real SamC
Yeah. I was wrong about Trickett. He did suck. But so did the o-line at that point, and the QBs and receivers never got better.

So to sum up - Trickett sucks and Dan sucks. Also our QBs and WRs suck, and #4 has the lowest basketball IQ and defensive ability of any basketball player we've had in 20+ years.
Trick daddy must improve and Dan has had his chances to improve.. when your team is down and its time to try and win, you have to draw up something that will gain points or yards.. Trick daddy doesn’t know how neither does Dan.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
That's a fvcking fact.
But Danny D. is ALL ABOUT FUN, 98!! Certainly, HE"S having fun! Drawing a nice salary doing so, I'm sure!! He wants HERD Fans to HAVE FUN, too, watching his team win or lose!! Aren't you having fun, 98? I'm sure the 4900 or so at the CAM had fun tonight! All God's children are having fun! Danny Ball "Forever"!!! (Heck, it just may be the Real Answer for achieving WORLD PEACE!!).

Classic example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It wasn't just coaching that caused the problems. Poor shooting, defensive lapses and playing the game at ULM's pace. And I could care less about the warm-up clothing. They could play stark bollock naked as long as they win.

We’re going to lose Curfman to someone else. We won’t name a coach for months after the season is over and he’ll already be scooped up by a larger program. But there is hope, that I think a solid coach can convince him to stay bc our team is talented… just not disciplined. It should be telling that with 8min left in the game, they had 2 fouls committed and I believe we were already at 8. That’s how it always goes. Our passes are sloppy and we can’t press good without fouling.
Remember the good pressVirginia? They were freaking nasty. We honestly could be almost as good, just because of our length, if we had a coach that could ….coach.

Curfman? Please. He can shoot, but he can’t defend, and he can’t get separation when he is guarded closely (like last night). A lot of more “pressing” concerns for this squad right now…..

Reactions: RhinoD
Last night was pathetic... All the way around... DD looked totally lost (especially in key moments), we still go long stretches where we can't buy a basket followed by long stretches where we can't get a stop. We make no adjustments. The answer is always to jack up the next bad shot, because, hey eventually one has to go in!

But with the plan working to perfection so far (play the worst schedule humanly possible, rack up wins against said terrible teams, hang in there in a mediocre-at-best conference, and pray for a hot 3-day run in the tournament) we will likely get to see DD back looking perplexed as we get worked by sub-500 teams next year too. I can already hear Spears talking about "showing improvement" and "a 20-win season" and "program stability" as he signs DD's extension.

Last night was pathetic... All the way around... DD looked totally lost (especially in key moments), we still go long stretches where we can't buy a basket followed by long stretches where we can't get a stop. We make no adjustments. The answer is always to jack up the next bad shot, because, hey eventually one has to go in!

But with the plan working to perfection so far (play the worst schedule humanly possible, rack up wins against said terrible teams, hang in there in a mediocre-at-best conference, and pray for a hot 3-day run in the tournament) we will likely get to see DD back looking perplexed as we get worked by sub-500 teams next year too. I can already hear Spears talking about "showing improvement" and "a 20-win season" and "program stability" as he signs DD's extension.
I am not anti-Dan and do appreciate what he's done. I do though hope that Spears will look at the big picture when evaluating the program. We as a school and AD have to determine if we want the basketball program to rise up to another level; and commit to that fully, including who is coach and upping the salary. Or keep it as it is and hope for a 2018 like run every decade or so and leave it at that.

I really wonder what role Mike D. plays in all of this. Does he withdrawal support if DD is let go and doesn't go out on his terms? Is that a concern?

I really wonder what role Mike D. plays in all of this. Does he withdrawal support if DD is let go and doesn't go out on his terms? Is that a concern?
I have no clue, but I can't imagine Mike D gives so much money to the program that a coaching change would be insurmountable... I appreciate that Dan took a bad program, hit a home run with Elmore, got us to the tournament, etc, but eventually we are going to need fresh eyes and ideas. As this year has shown, the SBC is not good. There is no reason why we can't be one of the top 2-3 programs every year for the foreseeable future.

I feel like there have been times this season when D'Antoni has coached really well. Defensive switches. Managing fouls. Set plays. Last night was bad. It looks like he knows we cannot rely so heavily on only the starting 5 and he is searching for a bench lineup that works. Looked like we were searching most of the game and then we let them hang around too long and couldn't flip the switch. The last two minutes were just inexplicable bad as everyone has pointed out.

This is a token effort.

False nostalgia for long ago greatness that never really happened.

Tarp over half the seats and proclaim sellouts.

Gimmick offense that only works now and then in one of the bottom leagues of DI.

This is a token effort.

Fire everyone in the building. Run off everyone who can be run off. Get people in here who actually want to and have the ability to win. Or admit what you are doing and quit the pretense.

This is a token effort.

Reading a lot of shock and awe in this thread.

This is nothing new. You've watched this before. It's a Seinfeld rerun. Hillbilly ball. The 304 boys.

Regular season games are for show and fun in a one bid league. What matters most is how you perform those four days in mid-March. 31-0 or 6-25. Doesn't matter. Get hot for four days, acquire the 13/14 seed, and see how you fare against one of the top teams from the ACC, Big XII, B1G, Pac 12, and God forgive, the Big Least V5.

This is a token effort.
It is sad to see crowds thousands smaller than what we used to draw at the old Field House. Half of the present building closed off in a facility that once averaged over 8,000 per game.

I have decided to accept it for what it is. Watch an occasional game and not get overly excited about the program. We will finish about the middle of the pack and going to the tournament is the usual long shot. It is what it is.

It is sad to see crowds thousands smaller than what we used to draw at the old Field House. Half of the present building closed off in a facility that once averaged over 8,000 per game.

I have decided to accept it for what it is. Watch an occasional game and not get overly excited about the program. We will finish about the middle of the pack and going to the tournament is the usual long shot. It is what it is.
Welcome to Huntington, where the population and fan base is shrinking and the drug houses growing.

I have no clue, but I can't imagine Mike D gives so much money to the program that a coaching change would be insurmountable... I appreciate that Dan took a bad program, hit a home run with Elmore, got us to the tournament, etc, but eventually we are going to need fresh eyes and ideas. As this year has shown, the SBC is not good. There is no reason why we can't be one of the top 2-3 programs every year for the foreseeable future.
yea, but you also dont want Mike and Dan mad at the school. Dan has done things for MU basketball that no one has been able to do in decades(maybe ever), so I dont think any changes will be made. Im more inclined to say enjoy the ride.

Know what's not shrinking? The fentanyl supply.
Yeah, but you know what? Any day now, thanks to the City's astute administration and its "Crack" (no pun intended) Legal Team, Huntington is going to end up receiving about a Beejillion Dollars from all those "mean ole" drug manufacturers"!! Just you wait and see! How do I know? Cause Hizzoner Mayor Steve said so!!!

Greengeezer living in the real world.

• Haha
Reactions: horsrman
Yeah, but you know what? Any day now, thanks to the City's astute administration and its "Crack" (no pun intended) Legal Team, Huntington is going to end up receiving about a Beejillion Dollars from all those "mean ole" drug manufacturers"!! Just you wait and see! How do I know? Cause Hizzoner Mayor Steve said so!!!
That's all he worries about, drug money from the companies and grants from the Fed.
This town will be dead in 10 years and Marshall will suffer greatly as a result

That's all he worries about, drug money from the companies and grants from the Fed.
This town will be dead in 10 years and Marshall will suffer greatly as a result
Well, IMO, it's already suffering. Read Metro News where the State is going to spend about two to three hundred million $$$ to widen I-79 and upgrade and/or replace many of its bridges from around Clarksburg to the PA line. Also, a new exit/interchange will be built in the next 5 years or so to accommodate a new huge bottling plant north of Morgantown and a nearby industrial development project expected to result in hundreds of new jobs.

At the same time WVU-Tech and New River Community College in the Beckley region signed a new agreement/arrangement allowing seamless transition for students of the latter to further continue or complete their educations at the former. On the health front WVU Medicine has taken over the major health/medical business in two more counties, Mercer and McDowell. They've practically taken over in Kanawha and the rest of Southern WV with few exceptions. Heck wouldn't be surprised if one of the next moves by WVU would be to strike a similar deal with WV Southern Community College, you know the one that was formed out of the former MARSHALL BRANCHES in Williamson and Logan so they can continue and further education at some WVU location!!! So, while WVU "expansion" under megalomaniac GEE continues unabated, MU and Huntington leaders essentially sit on their hands wondering why neither can grow, and maybe contemplating where their future students, patients, medical referrals, etc., are going to come from!

But, hey, on the other hand, free needle handouts continue "full speed ahead" in the "Jewel" City, and perhaps soon there will be another "Biscuit Shack" opening somewhere in the City. I'm sure that Hizzoner Williams will take advantage of that "major" economic development and will use it as a big photo op to use in his campaign for Governor, etc.!

Considering what happened this year with the OL coach and terrible QB play Trickett made chicken salad(lol rumor has it WVU offered him their OC job). Most people didnt even like he was hired as WR coach. I think with better QB play the offense will be better as well.

Do our QBs and WR voluntarily workout together in the offseason? Or, is it even allowed by the NCAA?

ADVERTISEMENT