ADVERTISEMENT

With COVID 19 on the Rise

I’m thinking the college game doesn’t start the season before end of Sept.
Some schools may not play at all.

As we know most athletes are already in training. I can see them starting without fans in the seats, maybe adding fans in October sometime. I think they will still play unless things get real out of control.

Reactions: ohio herd
Yes there will be football, albeit with necessary precautions in place.

I’ve read that while the total numbers have gone up, the death rate has gone down. There’s been something like 151 deaths nationwide in the birth-24 year old demographic. I know it can be spread to others that can be more severely impacted, but the overwhelming majority of people now seem to be asymptomatic.

I’ve read that while the total numbers have gone up, the death rate has gone down. There’s been something like 151 deaths nationwide in the birth-24 year old demographic. I know it can be spread to others that can be more severely impacted, but the overwhelming majority of people now seem to be asymptomatic.
here is a article with graphs in it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-deaths-united-states-each-day-2020-n1177936

If not for the stupidity of several liberal Gov in NJ, NY,Penn and Ill who put the Covid positive pt in nursing homes the numbers would be way less.

I keep thinking that the saddest part of all this is that people are brushing it off so dismissively. We lucked out, and the first major pandemic to hit the earth since the beginning of persistent international air travel was one that only affected the elderly. That's given us some degree of license to be callous about it, and my fear is we'll shrug this off in a year or two like it never happened. We'll forget this near-miss, and actually feel more emboldened to treat pandemics as a remote possibility.

And then an influenza strain comes along a few years later and shows us what an apocalypse really looks like. Its a different calculus when the caskets are smaller.

here is an interesting article.It claims that BLM riots and protests did not cause a surge in the number of Covid cases. Now I am sure that only going to Trump rallies and church can cause that ( ha ha) . However if this data is true, then there is no way that going to football games in the fall should be a problem IMO.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...sts-did-not-cause-an-uptick-in-covid-19-cases

TBT there has been so much misleading information about this outbreak I say we just do our best as a society to practice being safe and continue to move forward. Go Herd

Reactions: herd66
Speaking strictly for the neutrals out there: your chances of catching COVID at a protest or a political rally are pretty much the same, which is much higher than if you just went about your average daily life, and depends mostly on if the event is outside or inside. Anything inside is bad news, which is why you're seeing so many outbreaks in churches.

The virus has no politics, it just wants to get its freak on. Its us, insufferable humans, who seem incapable of understanding any circumstance or issue without applying our political biases to it.

Cases (of which it is now known that for some people it is so mild they did not even know they had it) = 0.0076% of population.

Deaths = 0.000374% of the population

Deaths, birth to 24 = 0.0000015% of the population.

You have a better chance of becoming an astronaut than catching this disease. You have a better chance of walking on the moon than dying from it.

Play ball.

Reactions: 19MU88
licious you may want to reexamine what you posted. I believe the greater number of cases have increased courtesy of people rushing to get out and go to the beaches which are now being shut down again. Please correct me if I am wrong.

America definitely needs to have college and NFL football in September. I have sensed from several of my friends that the news media is having an effect on opinions about having a football season. Normally they would be gung ho about football, but they seem pessimistic now because all they read is how many football players are testing positive. Even if no fans are in the stands, we can all watch it on television. Television can increase their advertising rates and share the bounty with the colleges/conferences. I agree with comments above about the death rates of young people being so low and feel that should propel schools to forge ahead. Macro statistics should be driving the argument about covid and not headlines.

There will be football... There will not be fans in the stadium in 2020.

Fire up the Facebook and watch the Herd!

Reactions: marshallisqbu
Good article in USA TODAY about college football in the fall. AD’s are really looking at the situation hard and going through multiple scenarios.

Seems like they were saying - Not so fast my friends. Some schools speaking with banks to get loans or lines of credit if the season is not played. Crazy!

licious you may want to reexamine what you posted. I believe the greater number of cases have increased courtesy of people rushing to get out and go to the beaches which are now being shut down again. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You're not wrong, but there's an additional wrinkle to it - my family went to Myrtle Beach the second week of June, and we returned 4/4 uninfected. The reason we were able to do it was because we wore masks in public settings, avoided dining inside restaurants, and followed the CDC's guidelines for social distancing as much as we could.

Around us, however, it was Myrtle Beach as normal for a lot of folks - no masks, no distance, no precautions, hanging out in packed bars and restaurants at 100% capacity, etc. The biggest determinant in how this thing spreads is the individual behaviors of its potential victims.

I walked past the Veterans memorial at the state capitol earlier today and just sort of took a minute to take in all the names from WWI and WWII. All those folks, plucked from their lives and shipped across the planet to fight in a literal incarnation of Hell, and a century later we're so ***damn soft we can't put on facemasks to go to the store.

You're not wrong, but there's an additional wrinkle to it - my family went to Myrtle Beach the second week of June, and we returned 4/4 uninfected. The reason we were able to do it was because we wore masks in public settings, avoided dining inside restaurants, and followed the CDC's guidelines for social distancing as much as we could.

Around us, however, it was Myrtle Beach as normal for a lot of folks - no masks, no distance, no precautions, hanging out in packed bars and restaurants at 100% capacity, etc. The biggest determinant in how this thing spreads is the individual behaviors of its potential victims.

I walked past the Veterans memorial at the state capitol earlier today and just sort of took a minute to take in all the names from WWI and WWII. All those folks, plucked from their lives and shipped across the planet to fight in a literal incarnation of Hell, and a century later we're so ***damn soft we can't put on facemasks to go to the store.
So, we just got back from a 4 night stay in NMB. Didn’t wear a mask, ate 3 meals inside. Beach was packed, mass of humanity. Saw one lady wearing a mask. I’ll let you know in 9 days how we’re doing..I honestly think it’s way overblown! (I guess I just did the equivalent of holding up a 5 iron in a lightning storm)......”Rat fart”!!!!

interesting take on "soft"

Reactions: whf2
Chuck Landon summed up my thoughts. Doubtful of a season especially a Sept through December season

There will be a season in some form or fashion. Just too much at stake for so many not to have one. jmho

interesting take on "soft"
It's hard to imagine that when asking folks to wear a facemask to slow a pandemic, or get a teeny little vaccine shot to help end one, meets this much resistance, that forced conscription to fight a white supremacist death cult on the other side of the planet would get much traction in 2020. We'd be ordering our Starbucks in German.

I believe we will see football in the fall. I can also see only allowing season tickets holders in the stadium so they can properly social distance.

There will be a season in some form or fashion. Just too much at stake for so many not to have one. jmho

I agree. Just the NCAA being as careful as it can be with their guidelines, shows how serious this actually is. They are also one I'd actually find myself giving more credit to than other sources because if the greediest entity on the planet, the NCAA, has to make changes to itself to accomodate the current events, then you know its bad.

Still kinda BS the athletes are asked to play during a pandemic but can't get paid.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Now word is WV HS football has floated the idea of playing in the spring as well.
Sucks for the multiple sport kids.

I do not think college football will be played this year.

If I had to put odds on it right now. I would say:

60% no season
40% yes but a modified season

That is an optimistic evaluation.

I am also diminishing the odds of a college basketball season.

I do not think college football will be played this year.

If I had to put odds on it right now. I would say:

60% no season
40% yes but a modified season

That is an optimistic evaluation.

I am also diminishing the odds of a college basketball season.

Rick Pitino is pushing a plan for college b’ball to start in January or February.

There is politics involved in the discussion of having football as usual in the Fall. The election is not until November, so the high school and college seasons would be almost completed by the time of the election. To delay the seasons or not have them at all would favor the left and hurt the right. That is what is at stake here. The media favors the left, so they will push for suppressing sports activity as long as possible, at least until the election. Politics and the upcoming presidential election controls about 90 percent of what is reported as news today. Sports fans across the country overwhelming will vote for football, even if fans are not allowed in the stands. I agree with a post above that says that season ticket holders could be allowed and a certain number of students. Those who are at risk could give their tickets to those who are not. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Just a guess , if the Democrats win the virus will be magically cured and nobody should worry about it after the election. The media will talk about what a miracle has happened. Republicans win the media will be like OMG stay inside worse than ever.

Vacations to Myrtle Beach for all political discussions...Herd Football spoken here

Doing a search for Huntington WV and Covid testing, I'm still not seeing where they are doing mass testing of the public.

Mass testing students when they come back to campus is easy, now you need to mass test the public as well. Students are not going to stay in campus 100% of the time (Obviously). The city needs to test both sides of the equation. You know shortly after the students get back on campus, everywhere; there will be a spike of infections. Have to be ready for that, panicking and scuttling the year because of it will be a mistake.

And, what impact will our opponents’ virus status have on our chances of playing the games???

Even if this year gets played... With no fans... Under some modified scheduling format... It's always going to have a massive asterisk.

What happens if the season plays out conference games only, we all get to week seven, Bama is playing Tennessee and Auburn back to back and Bama looses their starting QB and RB due to COVID for two weeks? The best team in the country takes two "L's" and misses the playoffs?

Is that a legitimate national championship for whoever wins it?... The timing of positive tests will likely determine the outcome.

Reactions: johns1124
Even if this year gets played... With no fans... Under some modified scheduling format... It's always going to have a massive asterisk.

What happens if the season plays out conference games only, we all get to week seven, Bama is playing Tennessee and Auburn back to back and Bama looses their starting QB and RB due to COVID for two weeks? The best team in the country takes two "L's" and misses the playoffs?

Is that a legitimate national championship for whoever wins it?... The timing of positive tests will likely determine the outcome.
Sure would be a cool time to try that whole 16 team playoff thing, wouldnt it?

And, what impact will our opponents’ virus status have on our chances of playing the games???
That’s kind of what I’m thinking. Not just their upcoming opponent, but their previous opponents over 14 days and then their opponents opponents from the previous 14 days. Do we avoid a risk altogether? Accept some risk? Some sort of risk mitigation? As a UFC fan, they seem to have a pretty good plan in place and get their testing results back rather quickly. Test on a Wednesday, put the teams on lockdown Thursday and Friday...then play on Saturday??

Reactions: 31Herd55
ADVERTISEMENT