ADVERTISEMENT

Wokism, conservative grievance politics, SSDD

Raoul Duke MU

Doctor of Journalism
Excellent opinion piece on the perils of wokism for the Democrats, the GOP's new "dog whistle", and how it really isn't any different from how it has always been.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Discuss

tenor.gif

I skimmed through some of it (busy day at work).

I reallly like John Haidt (quoted in the article) and his book (The Coddling of the American Mind) is awesome.

I'm looking forward to John McWhorters upcoming book, though I think I've read most of the essays within it already.

I am afraid that wokeism and equality of outcome will lead to a dangerous path for this nation. I may be wrong, but people I would regard as centrists (many of them non "deplorable" Trump haters) are very very afraid of it - Sam Harris, John McWhorter, Jesse Singal, Pinker, Taleb...these people often hate each other and can't agree on a lot...but not big fans of wokeism.

I remain amazed that Kendi is considered some sort of visionary. He and his policy suggestions (establishing a government department of anti racism with tons of power...what could possibly go wrong) seem crazy to me.

I am afraid that wokeism and equality of outcome will lead to a dangerous path for this nation. I may be wrong, but people I would regard as centrists (many of them non "deplorable" Trump haters) are very very afraid of it - Sam Harris, John McWhorter, Jesse Singal, Pinker, Taleb...these people often hate each other and can't agree on a lot...but not big fans of wokeism.
One constant through the history of American political culture is the pendulum of social morality.* It will swing back the other way. I am not going to spend time with citations, but there is polling data of a backlash with numbers that defy only pinning it on Trumpism. And I am in complete agreement with Edsall that is the part of the same play that has defined American politics since the 60s.

* The neat thing about a pendulum is the majority of the time it is at neither extreme end. There's a lot of meh with the general psyche. Look at the numbers for support of Black Lives Matter, the meh has arrived on that one.

I hope you’re right but we just marinated generation of kids on campus in wokeism, left them in debt (often with worthless degrees), and sent them with that debt into a country they have been taught is uniquely and irredeemably racist. That seems bad and bigger/unique to 1960.*

Caveat - my wife calls me a “fatalist”

I hope you’re right but we just marinated generation of kids on campus in wokeism, left them in debt (often with worthless degrees), and sent them with that debt into a country they have been taught is uniquely and irredeemably racist. That seems bad and bigger/unique to 1960.*

Caveat - my wife calls me a “fatalist”
I am not sure marinating them matters; many hippies became neocons. Crippling debt could just as well turn them into actual fascists....wait, I was trying to be reassuring :p

In true US fashion, at least people/consultants are taking the DEI platform to maximum profit/grift levels.

It gives me hope that leftists like Yglesias (I kind of like him in the way I think he operates in good faith and not completely ideologically possessed....Ezra Klein not so much) are seeing through this.

In true US fashion, at least people/consultants are taking the DEI platform to maximum profit/grift levels.

It gives me hope that leftists like Yglesias (I kind of like him in the way I think he operates in good faith and not completely ideologically possessed....Ezra Klein not so much) are seeing through this.

I swear I am thinking about getting into this stuff, there is money to be made.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
I swear I am thinking about getting into this stuff, there is money to be made.

Kendi, DiAngelo, Coates make massive speaking fees. A lot of these “work shops” cost major money - though it’s mostly just PR or HR cover from a lawsuit to check the box.

====

Imagine doing this at your “workshop” - the only ones they left out were “Burn Barrel Fires “ and “Loves David Alan Coe”

Kendi, DiAngelo, Coates make massive speaking fees. A lot of these “work shops” cost major money - though it’s mostly just PR or HR cover from a lawsuit to check the box.

====

Imagine doing this at your “workshop” - the only ones they left out were “Burn Barrel Fires “ and “Loves David Alan Coe”

Can't jump :p Glad to see someone took that exercise seriously.

Building up as much hatred against yourself as you can is extremely empowering.

I'm not black, but I admire them for doing this and understand it completely now. I have written books about how much people want my head on a stick. How at this point, I would not accept friends or any positive messages about anything I have or can do.

I'll still do the shit, but I automatically know people hate it, hate me, and will be partying over my casket.
There's something about living that way that seems like you're really doing something. So there is no turning this around. They want the world to hate them and won't accept it even if you don't. I know, because I'm the same damn way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT