ADVERTISEMENT

Wow...

GoHerdMarshallYes

Gold Buffalo
Nov 7, 2018
Marshall beat the #1 overall team in the NCAA tournament and today, beat the defending national champions.
Now they're in the "College Cup"/Final Four.
This team has certainly earned their place with a resume like that.
Its just one of those thoughts that ya gotta let sink in for a moment to really grasp how much of an accomplishment that is.

Where does this run stack up against other MU sports and their glory seasons?
Regardless of how the soccer team finishes, this has got to be up there.

Marshall beat the #1 overall team in the NCAA tournament and today, beat the defending national champions.
Now they're in the "College Cup"/Final Four.
This team has certainly earned their place with a resume like that.
Its just one of those thoughts that ya gotta let sink in for a moment to really grasp how much of an accomplishment that is.

Where does this run stack up against other MU sports and their glory seasons?
Regardless of how the soccer team finishes, this has got to be up there.
Off the top of my head I would say this is up there with football in 92, 96, 99 and 2014, Baseball when they went to the super regionals, mens b'ball NIT run in '67 (?)
Womens tennis doubles to the semis i think several years ago.
That's all I can think of.

I think it's time we give Hamrick the credit he deserves for the current state of the soccer program. He built the facility and hired the coach. I have heard Mike is in Cary. I for one would like to see him get a small extension so he can go out on his own terms. The grass is not always greener and compared to some of our past AD's Mike has done a fantastic job.

I think it's time we give Hamrick the credit he deserves for the current state of the soccer program. He built the facility and hired the coach. I have heard Mike is in Cary. I for one would like to see him get a small extension so he can go out on his own terms. The grass is not always greener and compared to some of our past AD's Mike has done a fantastic job.
i think most are too busy trying to run him out of town so no time for credit.

I think everyone gives him credit for many things, including the soccer complex.
If he has any issues with people, it seems a less than warm relationship with the fan base in general; and his supposed slight of the mens basketball program. Not that those are my personal feelings - just what we see and read on the message boards.

I think he's done a solid job and helped keep our heads above water financially.

Agree with above comments. Although Marshall has a pretty pathetic history in hiring well qualified AD's, Kopp hiring Mike is akin to Mike hiring Grassie imo. Not saying they are equal, but believing that in each instance, the hiring not only righted the respective ship but gave it the possibility to achieve better. Better than before. Better, faster , stronger....duh duh di da....

MH is under appreciated by half the fanbase and some in the Shewey, but if you look at his overall body of work at MU it's been far more wins than losses... As for the overall state of the program, Football is better than when he got here, Mens basketball is better than when he got here, Mens Soccer is far better than when he got here, IPF is built, soccer stadium is built.

If he were to work a miracle and actually get a baseball stadium built before he leaves it would be hard to argue with his legacy.

As to the original question, this soccer season ranks in MU's top 5 regardless of sport... On a national level, we have never been in this position – playing a sport at the highest level, among the top programs in the nation. The I-AA national championships were awesome, but not the highest level, and the year football finished in the top 10 MU still had zero chance to compete for a national championship.

Athletic Directors should be like baseball umpires. You shouldn't even know who they are.

quick tell me the athletic director of Alabama or who hired Nick Saban. There you go.

Now let's be honest of why Hamrick might be in trouble(if he is, I have no idea). The football program. Plain and simple. It is easy to figure out.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Too late. Dan and Jim (along with Jim's MU BoG of "yes" people) are getting him fired.

Athletic Directors should be like baseball umpires. You shouldn't even know who they are.

quick tell me the athletic director of Alabama or who hired Nick Saban. There you go.

Now let's be honest of why Hamrick might be in trouble(if he is, I have no idea). The football program. Plain and simple. It is easy to figure out.

Are you saying you'd support an AD with little to no transparency?
Quick, name me a program with a winning AD that doesn't inform all its donors, where their money is going or whata going on.

When a single issue or action not shared by the AD drives even MU's fanbase into a "Fire Hamrick" frenzy, what do you think would happen to a real program like Texas or ohio state?

Too late. Dan and Jim (along with Jim's MU BoG of "yes" people) are getting him fired.
Yes, but if they would give Mike say a two year extension then that would be going into the last year of Big Jim's second term as Governor. He can't run again in 2024. So, have his BOG lackeys appoint an interim AD, and appoint JJ as the AD in Jan, 2025. He brings his big check book with him to the HERD Athletic Department. Now whether any checks are really written to cover Athletic Department expenses, bills, etc., that are rung up during Jim's tenure as AD is another story altogether!!

Are you saying you'd support an AD with little to no transparency?
Quick, name me a program with a winning AD that doesn't inform all its donors, where their money is going or whata going on.

When a single issue or action not shared by the AD drives even MU's fanbase into a "Fire Hamrick" frenzy, what do you think would happen to a real program like Texas or ohio state?
What I am saying is the AD doesn't need to try to be the biggest ego or swinging Richard in the room. The football coach and basketball coach are the faces of most programs.

Yes, but if they would give Mike say a two year extension then that would be going into the last year of Big Jim's second term as Governor. He can't run again in 2024. So, have his BOG lackeys appoint an interim AD, and appoint JJ as the AD in Jan, 2025. He brings his big check book with him to the HERD Athletic Department. Now whether any checks are really written to cover Athletic Department expenses, bills, etc., that are rung up during Jim's tenure as AD is another story altogether!!
He’d be the next WBB head coach while still coaching his high school team...lol.

Didn’t Karl Hungus hire Saban?

Reactions: i am herdman
What I am saying is the AD doesn't need to try to be the biggest ego or swinging Richard in the room. The football coach and basketball coach are the faces of most programs.
MH hasn't "tried" to do any of that.

He's doing what ANY AD normally does. Fundraises and builds facilities.

Its just MU's AD leadership prior to his, had largely been incompetent and content with the current facilities they had.

Hamrick literally doing something his job description would call for, makes him appear to be what you describe.

If that's the case, well, sorry that Hamrick's you know, doing his job.

MH hasn't "tried" to do any of that.

He's doing what ANY AD normally does. Fundraises and builds facilities.

Its just MU's AD leadership prior to his, had largely been incompetent and content with the current facilities they had.

Hamrick literally doing something his job description would call for, makes him appear to be what you describe.

If that's the case, well, sorry that Hamrick's you know, doing his job.
Frankly, I don't put that much though into who the AD at Marshall is.

I've somewhat grappled with the idea of JJ having a bunch of his goons in MU's BoG. On one hand MU would have someone with enough pull to actually make it less difficult for MU to expand and gain some traction in WV.
On the other hand its a complete idiot running the show with people who are going to be difficult to distinguish between whats best for themselves and best for MU. The former being the reality of it all. Since WV is so poorly run and corrupt to begin with, there won't be any real consequences of theirnactions, they'll take their benefits and run.
Given his leadership lately and that WV hasn't done as much as he's said, I'd be relieved to know he's not in charge of anything MU related.
I know...wishful thinking.

I've somewhat grappled with the idea of JJ having a bunch of his goons in MU's BoG. On one hand MU would have someone with enough pull to actually make it less difficult for MU to expand and gain some traction in WV.
On the other hand its a complete idiot running the show with people who are going to be difficult to distinguish between whats best for themselves and best for MU. The former being the reality of it all. Since WV is so poorly run and corrupt to begin with, there won't be any real consequences of theirnactions, they'll take their benefits and run.
Given his leadership lately and that WV hasn't done as much as he's said, I'd be relieved to know he's not in charge of anything MU related.
I know...wishful thinking.
Political post.

Hamrick has done well. The accomplishment of soccer program is by far the biggest thing to happen to MU since I've been a student/athlete follower and I am 55. Simply the biggest thing to happen to MU sports in history. I loved 99 football but had no chance at national championship. This is HUGE!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT