ADVERTISEMENT

WV trip advice

ThunderCat98

Platinum Buffalo
Jun 23, 2007
Thinking of taking a long weekend trip to WV the weekend of October 21st to take in the fall foliage. Thought about Pocahontas County or Canaan Valley area. Any recommendations of places to stay, things to do, restaurants?

Thinking of taking a long weekend trip to WV the weekend of October 21st to take in the fall foliage. Thought about Pocahontas County or Canaan Valley area. Any recommendations of places to stay, things to do, restaurants?
We have this really nice Italian restaurant called fazolis, or something like that. Local workers. Home grown stuffs. They have croutons and all the fixins for a good meal. You’ll leave fuller than a tick on those bread things shaped like hot dogs

But in all seriousness… bridge day is the 15th and worth it if you can swing that instead.
If not, I like hiking around black water falls, hiking any mountain around Canaan and timberline you may still find fresh blueberries, etc.

There are some decent Bed n Breakfast places in the tourist areas of West by God. Last time I visited Snowshoe we stayed in one nearby that was actually really nice and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.

We have this really nice Italian restaurant called fazolis, or something like that. Local workers. Home grown stuffs. They have croutons and all the fixins for a good meal. You’ll leave fuller than a tick on those bread things shaped like hot dogs
Do you still get the free breadsticks?

canaan valley
blackwater falls
dolly sods
snowshoe mountain is a must if you've never been
seneca rocks . . . the drive from 64 up either 92 or 219, pick one, up through greenbrier and pocahontas counties, through greenbank to circleville and down to seneca rocks is one of the most beautiful fall drives i've ever made.

as the faggit above indicated, b & b's should be easy to find.

harman's cottages in grant co is a great place to stay. they stock brooder trout in their private section of the north fork of south branch river. it's about 10-15 mins from seneca rocks, within 30 mins of dolly sods, and 45 mins from canaan area (from harman's drive the back roads across dolly sods then down through red creek and up to canaan). stay off the driveway across from the entrance to harman's cabin lot right beside their office/store with the sign at the end that says "not the harman's, turn around". 😉

Be sure to check foliage maps before heading to Canaan or Pocahontas, that date may be past peak. When I lived up that way, Oct 1-ish was peak for Canaan. And snow was not out of the question.

If you find yourself in Elkins at breakfast time, go to Scottie's for a diner type breakfast. It beats McDonald's, for sure.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
We looked into lodging in the Canaan area - limited places available. Were gonna do the Potomac Eagle train or the Tygart Valley Express in Elkins, booked solid for the dates we wanted. Try VRBO for Canaan or Snowshoe.

better go with the tygart express unless you just do the trough trip on the potomac eagle. if you ride all the way to petersburg, be extremely careful walking the streets. local rednecks get drunked up and try to see how many tourists they can hit with beer bottles.
Floated the trough in May of this year. Great trip and beautiful part of the state. Stayed in Moorefield, ate at an Italian place downtown - good meal.

Floated the trough in May of this year. Great trip and beautiful part of the state. Stayed in Moorefield, ate at an Italian place downtown - good meal.
that's a pretty damn good italian restaurant. i've only eaten at it a couple times and haven't been dissapointed.

use to run the trough about every year along with smoke hole canyon. both great floats.

as the faggit above indicated, b & b's should be easy to find.
Episode 8 Nbc GIF by Will & Grace

You ever run the Tygart at Arden?
no. only river i've ever really paddled is the smoke hole and north fork, which join just west of petersburg, and the south branch from that point to ridgedale, just north of romney. did a couple rafting trips on the new several years ago. also ran a small stretch on the greenbrier a few years ago at alderson.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
If you enjoy hiking/biking the Greenbrier Rails to Trails is great. All along the Greenbrier river. Several tunnels.

Reactions: WV-FAN
If you enjoy hiking/biking the Greenbrier Rails to Trails is great. All along the Greenbrier river. Several tunnels.
You beat me to it. I love that trail. As you get closer to Marlinton, there is a pizza restaurant right by the trail. I always take a break and eat there.

no. only river i've ever really paddled is the smoke hole and north fork, which join just west of petersburg, and the south branch from that point to ridgedale, just north of romney. did a couple rafting trips on the new several years ago. also ran a small stretch on the greenbrier a few years ago at alderson.
It's a fun run.

You ever do any creeking? Laurel Creek that empties into the Tygart there is a good one too.

It's a fun run.

You ever do any creeking? Laurel Creek that empties into the Tygart there is a good one too.
no, you? i've watched guys in kayaks doing those small creeks while they're up. never thought of trying it when i was a kid and i'm too damn old for that shit now. my version of a good water trip includes a cooler full of beer and fairly calm water with a lot of class I and II rapids so i don't have to paddle much.

i've a friend with a cabin wayyyyy back in the mountains along the greenbrier river close to renick. it's around 10 miles off pavement to get to the cabin in a 4x4. funny thing is that just on the other side of the river is the greenbrier river trail with people hiking and bking all the time. there's a pretty cool tunnel over there, also. we've ridden the ATV's across the river and walked up through it.

Reactions: goherd73
no, you? i've watched guys in kayaks doing those small creeks while they're up. never thought of trying it when i was a kid and i'm too damn old for that shit now. my version of a good water trip includes a cooler full of beer and fairly calm water with a lot of class I and II rapids so i don't have to paddle much.
Oh yeah. Honestly, Laurel Creek is a little more technical but beats you up less than big river water. You ain't too old to try that one, if you can run a III you can do it. Maybe portage Floating Boulder, or at least scout it for logs to be safe, and watch those two undercuts. Some, we are both too old lol. Many of those little creeks are fvcking savage when flowing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT