ADVERTISEMENT

You might be surprised to learn ...

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
this stat tweeted out by Coach Gale:

The Top 5 NCAA FBS Teams In Career Passing Yards Combined (Based Off Top 50 Individual Leaders):

#1 MARSHALL

• 37,428 yds

#2 Houston

• 32,181 yds

#3 Hawaii

• 31,265 yds

#4 Oklahoma

• 31,253 yds

#5 Texas Tech

• 28,222 yds

Reactions: kdbherdon
So we have 3 of the top 50 passers in NCAA history. That in and of itself is awesome and a testament to our success. Add on top that our three combine for most passing yards of any school is awesome!

That's not entirely true. Other schools have three QBs who have combined for more passing yards than Marshall's. It's just that all three of them are not in the top 50, which is why the original statistic is manipulative by only looking at the top 50 passers instead of taking the top two, three, or four from each school.

That's not entirely true. Other schools have three QBs who have combined for more passing yards than Marshall's. It's just that all three of them are not in the top 50, which is why the original statistic is manipulative by only looking at the top 50 passers instead of taking the top two, three, or four from each school.

But our top 3 top everyone else's top 3. That's not nothing.

But our top 3 top everyone else's top 3. That's not nothing.

No, Marshall's top three all time QBs (in terms of passing yards) don't top all other schools' top three all time QBs.

If you only look at the top 50 QBs in terms of passing yards, then your statement would be correct. But limiting it to the top 50 is manipulating the important statistic as we already know.

okay, I get your point so why not provide a few names and 3 QB's that have done better from same team. Not saying they don't exist but you brought it up. What school have 3 that put up more passing yards? Would BYU be on the list?

okay, I get your point so why not provide a few names and 3 QB's that have done better from same team. Not saying they don't exist but you brought it up. What school have 3 that put up more passing yards?

Hawaii, Houston, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech are ahead. If Rypien stays healthy this year, Boise will be ahead. BYU is 11 yards behind.

Reactions: ohio herd
No, Marshall's top three all time QBs (in terms of passing yards) don't top all other schools' top three all time QBs.

If you only look at the top 50 QBs in terms of passing yards, then your statement would be correct. But limiting it to the top 50 is manipulating the important statistic as we already know.

Hey, I'm just going from the OP; I didn't look anything up.

The Top 5 NCAA FBS Teams In Career Passing Yards Combined (Based Off Top 50 Individual Leaders):

#1 MARSHALL

• 37,428 yds

He wrote Based Off Top 50 Individual Leaders. If that list was tallied using the top individual leaders, then what I said has to be right. If the "Top 50" is using some other metric, then the OP stated it wrong.

Hey, I'm just going from the OP; I didn't look anything up.

He wrote Based Off Top 50 Individual Leaders. If that list was tallied using the top individual leaders, then what I said has to be right. If the "Top 50" is using some other metric, then the OP stated it wrong.

Yeah, but based on what you said ("But our top 3 top everyone else's top 3. That's not nothing"), it is incorrect. If you meant only the top 3 out of the top 50, then that's different then what you said.

It's also extremely misleading because nobody else has 3 in the top 50, which is an arbitrary number that was selected to be able to manipulate the statistic in Marshall's favor.

Yeah, but based on what you said ("But our top 3 top everyone else's top 3. That's not nothing"), it is incorrect. If you meant only the top 3 out of the top 50, then that's different then what you said.

It's also extremely misleading because nobody else has 3 in the top 50, which is an arbitrary number that was selected to be able to manipulate the statistic in Marshall's favor.

Agree that it's a manipulative stat. And I really don't want to beat this horse, but again...if the Top 50 individual leaders means the top 50 in passing yards, and the numbers reported by the OP are correct and Marshall leads all schools in passing yards with our top 3, then our top 3 must top any other top 3. That's all I was saying.

Agree that it's a manipulative stat. And I really don't want to beat this horse, but again...if the Top 50 individual leaders means the top 50 in passing yards, and the numbers reported by the OP are correct and Marshall leads all schools in passing yards with our top 3, then our top 3 must top any other top 3. That's all I was saying.

I understand what you were saying, but how you worded it was wrong. Marshall's top three quarterbacks (in terms of career passing yards) is not more than any other school's top three quarterbacks. That's what you said.

Now, if you added "of those quarterbacks in the top 50 career passing yards," it would be correct (and manipulative, as we've gone over).

...if the Top 50 individual leaders means the top 50 in passing yards, and the numbers reported by the OP are correct and Marshall leads all schools in passing yards with our top 3, then our top 3 must top any other top 3.
Some schools only have 1 or 2 in the top 50, so in many cases, you are comparing stat totals from 3 Marshall QBs with only 1 or 2 from other schools. So, as YAGS pointed out, some of those schools have a QB that is not in the top 50, but if you added their total to the other 2, the total would be more than MU's total.

It is impressive that MU has 3 in the top 50, but it does not mean that MU's top 3 have more yards than any other school's top 3.

Reactions: chuck1069
I see what they're saying. To use an absurd example: a school has two QBs with 18,000 career yards, and their third QB all time has 2,000 career yards. That schools top 3 would beat our top 3, but they wouldn't be ahead of us on this list because the QB with 2K yards isn't in the top 50.

I think just saying we have 3 of the Top 50 passers in FBS history and leaving it at that is plenty impressive.

Before you guys go too far down this rabbit hole of debate, its worth noting that Hawaii is way up on this list, and I don't that matters to anybody east of the Pacific. Take this stuff with a grain of salt - neat to think about, but mostly inconsequential, and certainly not worthy of heated debate.

This next ranking came out tonite:
NCAA FBS Single Season Receiving Touchdowns Leaders (Based Off Top 100):

#2 Randy Moss (26)

• PFHOF

#21 Darius Watts (18)

#61 Gator Hoskins (15)

I believe it will be muy more difficult for YAGS to poke a hole in this category! Bring it......

Houston has six, Hawaii has six, Oklahoma State has six, Notre Dame has six, Oklahoma has five, Tulsa has five, Western Michigan has five, Florida has five, Michigan has four, Wyoming also has three, BYU has three, Texas Tech has three . . . oh, and Pacific, which hasn't had a team in 23 years, has two.

Houston has six, Hawaii has six, Oklahoma State has six, Notre Dame has six, Oklahoma has five, Tulsa has five, Western Michigan has five, Florida has five, Michigan has four, Wyoming also has three, BYU has three, Texas Tech has three . . . oh, and Pacific, which hasn't had a team in 23 years, has two.
Well, Coach Gale wasn’t claiming MU had the most! Not sure what point you are trying to make here....

This next ranking came out tonite:
NCAA FBS Single Season Receiving Touchdowns Leaders (Based Off Top 100):

#2 Randy Moss (26)

• PFHOF

#21 Darius Watts (18)

#61 Gator Hoskins (15)

I believe it will be muy more difficult for YAGS to poke a hole in this category! Bring it......
can you post a link for this. I always enjoy looking at stats

Well, Coach Gale wasn’t claiming MU had the most! Not sure what point you are trying to make here....

You won't see any athletic department staff posting the fact that "Marshall has won 10 games against FBS teams over the last two seasons." Why won't you see that? Because it isn't noteworthy, as many other teams have more wins than that, some, having twice as many wins as that.

Likewise, posting the stat about Marshall having three players in that category isn't noteworthy when you consider there are at least a dozen other teams who have as many or more. If in a recruiting battle with Marshall, another P5 school like Hawaii/Western Michigan/Tulsa would retweet that fact, say "here, hold my coffee," and post their players. Then, they'd point out that just last week, you wanted to look at the top 50 in a category. Now, you want to look at the top 100. It's called manipulating stats to make something look different than it really is. And even with that, it still doesn't make it look very good compared with many other schools.

can you post a link for this. I always enjoy looking at stats

Shocker: a deplorable doesn't know how to use Google. I would suggest copying and pasting the title of the statistical category into Google, hitting "return," and you'd be able to find what you're asking somebody else to do for you within about three seconds.

You won't see any athletic department staff posting the fact that "Marshall has won 10 games against FBS teams over the last two seasons." Why won't you see that? Because it isn't noteworthy, as many other teams have more wins than that, some, having twice as many wins as that.

Likewise, posting the stat about Marshall having three players in that category isn't noteworthy when you consider there are at least a dozen other teams who have as many or more. If in a recruiting battle with Marshall, another P5 school like Hawaii/Western Michigan/Tulsa would retweet that fact, say "here, hold my coffee," and post their players. Then, they'd point out that just last week, you wanted to look at the top 50 in a category. Now, you want to look at the top 100. It's called manipulating stats to make something look different than it really is. And even with that, it still doesn't make it look very good compared with many other schools.

..that's simply not true. The rankings are facts. You can't say they aren't and make them so.....doesn't work that way junior.

..that's simply not true. The rankings are facts. You can't say they aren't and make them so.....doesn't work that way junior.

Huh? Where did I say that the rankings aren't facts? What did I say that is untrue?

If you're going to attempt to correct me on something, at least make it be something that I said.

I am going to disprove your assertion that somehow the list presented alluded to "Rank Div 1 football programs in terms of the # of receivers each school has in the Top 100." In no way, shape or form did MU present it that way. You are trying to bring your own experiences into the discussion. This has nothing to do with what you as a player or coach has experienced. It is straight-forward & not hard to comprehend. So why do you have trouble?

I am going to disprove your assertion that somehow the list presented alluded to "Rank Div 1 football programs in terms of the # of receivers each school has in the Top 100."

Buddy, what in the hell are you talking about? This may be the biggest straw man presented in the history of this board.

When did I ever make the claim that you just quoted? I didn't say that was what the ranking was. I didn't infer to that in any way. I didn't claim that Marshall and/or the tweet was trying to say that.

You're trying way, way too hard, and it's making you look foolish.

You did the same thing in the post before your last one.

Oh please - since when did you let your feelings get hurt over someone disagreeing with your opinion? Happens all the time around here. I don’t believe you are the keeper of titles on this platform. We’re all grown ups (except TeenWolfChubby) and what you think about someone’s posts counts no more or less than any other....

ADVERTISEMENT