ADVERTISEMENT

You think we have it bad? Texas sez “Hold our beer”...

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Dan has underperformed in the eyes of many on here. How would you like to be a Longhorn fan this morning? Dude wins an NIT and a pay to play.....goes deep in one (1!!!!) NCAA tourney, gets plucked from VCU to the co-preeminent Big XII school and since getting there (6 seasons now) hasn’t made it out of the 1st round!! 7-8 career record in The Dance. Thoughts?? Sam is typing as I speak!! Is it just a matter of UT NOT demanding excellence??? Discuss.....
p.s. currently earning 3.2 million $ per.....slightly more than Danny, I believe.....😎

Reactions: putnam green
And how many dollars has the underperforming Texas coach brought to the coffers there with his lack of moving on in the tournament(s) and how many has DD brought to MU..........even though there basic overall winning percentages may be close?

$3.2 million vs. $200k. You ponying up the difference?

Maybe not 3.2, but if you can afford it around 2-2.5 mill. Hell yes, you do. Good players WANT to play for Smart. They know Smart. MU was laughed at by the rest of CUSA for hiring DD in the first place.

You are not just paying for the Coach, you are also paying for the name brand.

And yet DD has outperformed any other MU coach since Huck. If CUSA is such a mediocre league why do we care if they laugh at us or not?

I agree we just need to go out and win and I also agree with much of the criticism offered at DD. I also think CUSA is a little better in basketball than some that post here tend to believe. What I don't get is the vitriol for DD. I'd like to see some improvements on the court and let him go out as a winner.

Maybe not 3.2, but if you can afford it around 2-2.5 mill. Hell yes, you do. Good players WANT to play for Smart. They know Smart. MU was laughed at by the rest of CUSA for hiring DD in the first place.

You are not just paying for the Coach, you are also paying for the name brand.
johns - if.......if?? So, let me see if I comprehend what you are suggesting: Marshall, who has just maxed out their VISA card to hire Huff + staff, now is able to pony up at least an extra 1.8 million dollars, + the increased assistant’s salaries, so we will have a better chance at winning CUSA?? Insanity.....

So now its being discussed what is happening at UT, who by all their supporters would firmly establish as a football school. To compare to MU's basketball HC just so a few can feel better about not having to admit DD isn't as good as advertised?
UT is doing what any big conference school is doing, paying money for a HC they think can win. If he doesn't, he's fired. I highly doubt UT fans give much of a care if UT wins in basketball or not.
They'd cut the program in front of Smart and the players and not bat an eye if it meant they could play for national titles in football again.

I highly doubt UT fans give much of a care if UT wins in basketball or not.
I usually try to be pretty polite on this forum but that has got to be one of the most asinine things I have ever seen posted here. Texas consistently has one of the highest athletic budgets year in and year out, almost 10x MU's. They really do play for championships in virtually every sport with NCAA championships in football, baseball, women's basketball, men's golf, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's swimming and diving, women's track and women's cross country. Missing from this list is men's basketball. They are spending $3.2 a year on their head coach who was a hot property when hired. I think they want to win in men's basketball as they do in their other sports or else they wouldn't have a $220 million annual budget.

Last edited:
Texas has three basic problems.

- It has a long history of BAD coaching hires, football and basketball.

- It engineered this Big 2, Little 8 farce. The Big 2 were supposed to dominate, especially in football, and the rest are just filler. Problem? The elite kids want to test themselves to see if they are really great. You don't do that playing the Little 8. You do that in Texas' third problem:

- The Texas A&M University and more broadly the Southeastern Conference generally. The true elite want to see if they are truly elite. It is the same reason kids join the Marines, or take Organic Chemistry. You don't test yourself against the elite in the Little 8.

Texas will never be anything until it gets its coaching hiring house in order, and the next realignment comes and the Little 8 are kicked to the curb.

Reactions: putnam green
I usually try to be pretty polite on this forum but that has got to be one of the most asinine things I have ever seen posted here. Texas consistently has one of the highest athletic budgets year in and year out, almost 10x MU's. They really do play for championships in virtually every sport with NCAA championships in football, baseball, women's basketball, men's golf, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's swimming and diving, women's track and women's cross country. Missing from this list is men's basketball. They are spending $3.2 a year on their head coach who was a hot property when hired. I think they want to win in men's basketball as they do in their other sports or else they wouldn't have a $220 million annual budget.

So you just said UT plays for titles, and then admit you left basketball (the very topic of this thread) off the list?

I'm not saying UT hasn't tried to be better in basketball, I'm saying they'll not try to go to such extreme lengths for a program that takes a backseat to football. They have one of the largest budgets in the NCAA yet seem content with where they are. Granted, the UT team just won the Big 12 conference championship so that minimizes the OP to begin with but whatever.

- It engineered this Big 2, Little 8 farce. The Big 2 were supposed to dominate, especially in football, and the rest are just filler. Problem? The elite kids want to test themselves to see if they are really great. You don't do that playing the Little 8. You do that in Texas' third problem:

- The Texas A&M University and more broadly the Southeastern Conference generally. The true elite want to see if they are truly elite. It is the same reason kids join the Marines, or take Organic Chemistry. You don't test yourself against the elite in the Little 8.

Texas will never be anything until it gets its coaching hiring house in order, and the next realignment comes and the Little 8 are kicked to the curb.

I've wondered why Texas just doesn't go independent. They have their own network, huge budget, large alumni base, and they still have a name brand.
They also can literally control everything they do and Texas likes that more than anything.
They can keep OU on the schedule and even add some former teams like Nebraska on there too.

I've wondered why Texas just doesn't go independent. They have their own network, huge budget, large alumni base, and they still have a name brand.
They also can literally control everything they do and Texas likes that more than anything.
They can keep OU on the schedule and even add some former teams like Nebraska on there too.
The media money the B12 gets is more than enough incentive to stay. They have their cake and eating it to.

Notre Dame did that until it played out and they joined the ACC. While remaining independent in football, they have a contract with the ACC to play several football games with ACC opponents each year. Texas would probably have to do something similar for the other sports. However the NCAA and the P5 have more power and clout than a stand-alone UT so the status quo will probably remain in place for a while.

So you just said UT plays for titles, and then admit you left basketball (the very topic of this thread) off the list?

I'm not saying UT hasn't tried to be better in basketball, I'm saying they'll not try to go to such extreme lengths for a program that takes a backseat to football. They have one of the largest budgets in the NCAA yet seem content with where they are. Granted, the UT team just won the Big 12 conference championship so that minimizes the OP to begin with but whatever.
I didn't leave basketball off of the list - I said they had won NCAA championships in all of those other sports but had not won one in men's basketball.

Though football is king in Texas I think they'd definitely like to have an NCAA championship in men's basketball as well. If memory serves me Rick Barnes took them to the Final Four early in his tenure and had several highly ranked teams though they did seem to underperform at tournament time and never played to their rankings. UT wants to win and win big in ALL sports. That is just the Texas mindset.

Last edited:
I didn't leave basketball off of the list - I said they had won NCAA championships in all of those other sports but had not won one in men's basketball.

Though football is king in Texas I think they'd definitely like to have an NCAA championship in men's basketball as well. If memory serves me Rick Barnes took them to the Final Four early in his tenure and had several highly ranked teams though they did seem to underperform at tournament time and never played to their rankings. UT wants to win and win big in ALL sports. That is just the Texas mindset.
Of course they would. Thing is they aren't going to go beyond what they want to get there. Toss some money at a HC, hope he wins, focus on football.

Not saying about the UT program specifically, but in case you all haven't noticed, the STATE of Texas is doing DAMN well in college basketball generally! Look at how many schools overall from the Lone Star State got into the Big Dance! Six or Seven, I believe, which tells me that college basketball is a pretty hot commodity down deep in the heart of Texas!!!

Shaka Smart to Marquette... Wonder how this will work out and who UT will hire to replace him?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
What you see in Smart, who was pushed out, is a typical Texas coaching hire recently. Media darling, especially among the ESPN/FS1 PC woke talking head sports argument shows. But just not that good a coach.

Time will tell is UT has figured it out and can get someone in there who the fans, and not ESPN, will approve of.

Smart just came up empty in the NCAAs; Never or seldom won a first round game. With what they pay at Texas, that "sheet" ain't going to cut it very long1 Even if Football is the King down in Austin!

Reactions: KyMUfan

Any of the "little 8" are night and day better in every way than anyone in Conference USA. Not sure why you keep telling yourself this or why you care so much but it's just a fact.

The rest of the college athletic world doesn't see those programs as little anything.

Texas has Kansas and now Baylor in basketball (one of the little 8 in the Elite 8) and all the other REGULAR tournament teams to compete against.

In football they have a history anyone outside of a handful of programs would only dream of even current.

You would feel better about yourself if you just stopped worrying about what everyone else is doing and focus on Marshall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT