ADVERTISEMENT

2016 game still open

Getting into the AAC is key for future success, especially if we keep Doc, the defensive staff, and Sinclair

Compare the 2 conference schedules........im doing a million things at work because of the storm in NY the other night

lt - 34 vs utah state - 52
rice - 69 vs colorado state - 65
wku - 80 vs air force - 75
uab - 84 vs nevada - 90
mtsu - 107 vs san diego state - 91
odu - 116 vs fresno state - 111
fiu - 121 vs fresno state - 111
fau - 139 vs wyoming - 126
southern miss - 140 vs new mexico - 132

honestly, the difference in the two are negligible.

If it came down to an 13-0 Boise, 13-0 ECU or UCF, and 13-0 Marshall.....who do you think will get the pick? With a weak MAC school and a FCS opponent we will be the third school. We need UCF just as much as they need us

probably so, but what are the odds of boise and ecu both running the table? per massey's ratings, boise has a 15% chance of winning their four non-conference games this year, we have a 68% chance of winning our four, east carolina has a 3% chance of winning theirs...

lt - 34 vs utah state - 52
rice - 69 vs colorado state - 65
wku - 80 vs air force - 75
uab - 84 vs nevada - 90
mtsu - 107 vs san diego state - 91
odu - 116 vs fresno state - 111
fiu - 121 vs fresno state - 111
fau - 139 vs wyoming - 126
southern miss - 140 vs new mexico - 132

honestly, the difference in the two are negligible.

probably so, but what are the odds of boise and ecu both running the table? per massey's ratings, boise has a 15% chance of winning their four non-conference games this year, we have a 68% chance of winning our four, east carolina has a 3% chance of winning theirs...

We are talking about the 2016 schedule which I am sure Massey hasn't put out the odds for. But odds don't mean shit to me

All I can say fellas, don't bitch and whine when the media pounds us again for playing pussies. Don't say that we get no respect. Enjoy our wins and heading to a bowl against a MAC team more often than not.
Remember, we are in CUSA. With our bowl tie ins unless we go undefeated and get the access spot, our only chance of playing a P5 opponent in a bowl is the Big XII in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. So yes, we will most likely be playing a MAC, SBC or AAC team in a bowl game in Florida. Just a fact.

That isn't the only chance, we can possibly see an ACC team in the Miami Beach bowl and an SEC team in the Independence Bowl is conferences don't fill their bowl participants requirements. The Heart of Dallas bowl is the only definite

That isn't the only chance, we can possibly see an ACC team in the Miami Beach bowl and an SEC team in the Independence Bowl is conferences don't fill their bowl participants requirements. The Heart of Dallas bowl is the only definite
Agreed, but the who we play in the regular season will have nothing to do with that.

No it doesn't and that is why we really need to hit a homerun with our 4th game last year

We are talking about the 2016 schedule which I am sure Massey hasn't put out the odds for. But odds don't mean shit to me

then why are you arguing that boise's 2016 conference schedule is tougher than our conference schedule? there's a good chance it will be, but people would've said the same thing last year and as i showed it wasn't a big difference at all. unless, we are to believe you fail to grasp the basics of grammar and the english language, but are some kind of idiot savant that can predict the future.

playing 3 power 5 schools by adding south carolina or florida to our 2016 schedule does nothing to help us reach our ultimate goal, which is the access bowl spot. our history proves that more often than not we lose to schools of that stature. playing a g5 opponent or fcs opponent at home, generates more revenue for our program and positions us to go undefeated or one-loss and contend for the access bowl spot.

@Chris McLaughlin brought it up, but i have no idea where we picked up our big dick syndrome, we had a nice run of success, several down years, all in all we've managed to win 5-6 games against power 5 opponents, the majority of which were bad or average teams, and all of a sudden we think we'll take all comers and kick their ass?

So playing and possibly beating a third P5 school doesn't but beating some BS 1AA school does?? Im sorry I would rather bring to the Playoff committee that includes 3 P5 schools and a MAC school then 2 P5 schools, a MAC school, and a BS 1AA school. I don't think you really understand that concept. I want a better resume then our closest competitors for the Access Spot. Playing an FCS school doesn't give us that. Especially when ECU is playing 3 teams couple that with their AAC schedule. Our conference schedule give us no room for error when we are playing FIAU, ODU, and UNCC every year. We have the talent, coaching staff and the S&C program to play 3 P5 games. We play and beat 3 P5 teams or even 2 out of the 3, not only will we be ranked and ranked high, we will be in the forefront. Beating a Florida or South Carolina on the road outweighs playing ANY 1AA or lower rung G5 program and nothing you say will change my opinion

Last edited:
Also the majority of games we lost against P5 teams was with terrible football teams that the current Herd would beat the piss out of. So to bring up those losses and to compare it against the current football program is retarded. I firmly believe, we can compete with the majority of the p5 right now. We have a ton of players who had a ton of p5 offers. Unlike teams from 2004-2010

So playing and possibly beating a third P5 school but beating some BS 1AA school does?? Im sorry I would rather bring to the Playoff committee that includes 3 P5 schools and a MAC school then 2 P5 schools, a MAC school, and a BS 1AA school. I don't think you really understand that concept. I want a better resume then our closest competitors for the Access Spot. Playing an FCS school doesn't give us that. Especially when ECU is playing 3 teams couple that with their AAC schedule. Our conference schedule give us no room for error when we are playing FIAU, ODU, and UNCC every year. We have the talent, coaching staff and the S&C program to play 3 P5 games

so you'd rather take a 8-4 or 9-3 record to the committee? that's brilliant. our history, boise's history, etc suggests that the odds of us going 0-3 in those games are significantly better than us going 2-1 in those games.

Also the majority of games we lost against P5 teams was with terrible football teams that the current Herd would beat the piss out of. So to bring up those losses and to compare it against the current football program is retarded. I firmly believe, we can compete with the majority of the p5 right now. We have a ton of players who had a ton of p5 offers. Unlike teams from 2004-2010

those good herd teams beat an absolutely horrendous south carolina team (who won 1 game in 2 years), beat a joke of a program in temple, beat a decent clemson team, and that's it, but yeah, we'd just go around kicking dicks in these days, i mean forget we get beat at home by wku, or struggle with a mediocre uab team, and we've won one conference title in a decade, we're the cock of the walk now, the sec teams cower in fear of the mighty marshall program with a few players that had p5 offers...

so you'd rather take a 8-4 or 9-3 record to the committee? that's brilliant. our history, boise's history, etc suggests that the odds of us going 0-3 in those games are significantly better than us going 2-1 in those games.

those good herd teams beat an absolutely horrendous south carolina team (who won 1 game in 2 years), beat a joke of a program in temple, beat a decent clemson team, and that's it, but yeah, we'd just go around kicking dicks in these days, i mean forget we get beat at home by wku, or struggle with a mediocre uab team, and we've won one conference title in a decade, we're the cock of the walk now, the sec teams cower in fear of the mighty marshall program with a few players that had p5 offers...

What the hell are you talking about? I guess you have no confidence in beating Louisville and NC State?? Both of those teams are MUCH better then Florida right now. This is the same Florida program that was EMBARRASSED by a 4 lose 1AA Georgia Southern team 2 years ago. I don't even think they made the 1AA playoff that year.

See im a glass half-full kind of person and with the talent returning next season, I not only think we can compete with Louisville, NC State, Florida or South Carolina......we can beat them. Now if your talking about one of Mark Snyder's team or Bobby Pruett's 2004 squad then I would say otherwise.

I am not going to go by odds, I am going by what I see with my eyes. Florida almost lost to an average ECU team last year in the bowl game. And nobody is talking like how your talking. I am talking about the level of talent we have in the program and the confidence that we can compete and beat not just show up against the majority of the P5.

What the hell are you talking about? I guess you have no confidence in beating Louisville and NC State?? Both of those teams are MUCH better then Florida right now. This is the same Florida program that was EMBARRASSED by a 4 lose 1AA Georgia Southern team 2 years ago. I don't even think they made the 1AA playoff that year.

See im a glass half-full kind of person and with the talent returning next season, I not only think we can compete with Louisville, NC State, Florida or South Carolina......we can beat them. Now if your talking about one of Mark Snyder's team or Bobby Pruett's 2004 squad then I would say otherwise.

I am not going to go by odds, I am going by what I see with my eyes. Florida almost lost to an average ECU team last year in the bowl game. And nobody is talking like how your talking. I am talking about the level of talent we have in the program and the confidence that we can compete and beat not just show up against the majority of the P5.

lol, you're great my man. if your eyes were better than the odds makers in vegas you wouldn't be living in your momma's basement at 29 years old, or whatever.

we can absolutely compete with those schools, we can absolutely beat those schools, but we can just as easily, if not more easily, lose (this is the correct usage of "lose") to all three of those teams.

but either way, you can live in your fantasy world where those schools would even want to play us because unlike the guy making the schedule you don't have to worry about the real world.

herdit I couldn't disagree with your philosophy more. It has nothing to do with big dick syndrome. Herd fever nor myself are suggesting a schedule of Alabama Ohio state and Oregon. We are suggesting playing P5 teams that we are capable of beating and actually earning national respect. Instead of following a philosophy of playing teams we have a 95% chance of beating and actually beating badly where we garner zero respect.

Did you not see last year. We didn't receive near the respect that we deserved last year due to our horrible schedule. That was a great football team we had last year and nobody gave a crap except Herd fans.

This isn't the BCS era where you can have an inflated record play nobody and get a BCS game ala Hawaii. The committee showed last year that beating inferior teams and running up a gaudy record yet playing nobody meant nothing. You actually have to earn your way into an access bowl.

Also I love the way you automatically assume we will lose all 3 games if we have 3 P5s in the schedule. I personally think Doc has built an excellent program and we could play with and beat the majority of P5 schools out there.

But the good thing is you are going to get you way. We will continue to cream puff through our schedules and we will continue to get no respect but hey at least we won't play anybody we actually have a chance of losing to which seems to be your only scheduling prerequisite.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Did you not see last year. We didn't receive near the respect that we deserved last year due to our horrible schedule. That was a great football team we had last year and nobody gave a crap except Herd fans.

obviously you missed last year when:
  • the team that received the access spot played only one p5 team
  • the team that was in the driver's seat going into the last weekend of the regular season played two p5s, one g5, and one fcs opponent (which is the identical schedule we're likely to play next year)
  • arguably the third place team two p5s, one g5, and one fcs opponent
  • possibly the fourth team played two p5s, one g5, and one fcs opponent

Ok herdit you win schedule cream puffs it's the way to go. Don't actually earn anything. Our scheduling philosophy try to back our way into an access bowl slot if teams who play a tough schedule lose!!

lol, you're great my man. if your eyes were better than the odds makers in vegas you wouldn't be living in your momma's basement at 29 years old, or whatever.

we can absolutely compete with those schools, we can absolutely beat those schools, but we can just as easily, if not more easily, lose (this is the correct usage of "lose") to all three of those teams.

but either way, you can live in your fantasy world where those schools would even want to play us because unlike the guy making the schedule you don't have to worry about the real world.

Like odds Makers are always right. If I was a betting man, do you know how much money I would have made on Marshall with all the low odds they was giving us. But continue to make personal attacks while proving how much of a pussy your personal mentality in life is. I don't back down from challenges, maybe you should learn that

Like odds Makers are always right. If I was a betting man, do you know how much money I would have made on Marshall with all the low odds they was giving us. But continue to make personal attacks while proving how much of a pussy your personal mentality in life is. I don't back down from challenges, maybe you should learn that

maybe you should learn the difference between was/were, or over/offer, or supposibly/supposedly. i have a younger cousin entering middle school this year, he can probably help you with that.

but back on topic, odds makers aren't always right, but they're right way more often than they're wrong. they can back it up, you just post on here and claim you're some expert, they have high-end sports books in vegas, you live in your mom's basement.

anyway, next year's schedule with a seventh home game is a great scenario for us, it's even better if it is a solid g5 at home, but even a fcs opponent we'll generate a good amount of revenue for our program, and position ourselves to run the table and have a solid shot at the cotton bowl.

And like I said before when comparing our key competitors 2016 schedule, AN FCS OPPONENT WILL PUT US BEHIND THE 8BALL VS. SCHOOLS LIKE ECU, BOISE, HOUSTON, and UCF. So why you want to chase after the fast nickel with a home game against an FCS opponent that we maybe might make $700K for. I would rather us go on the road play a Florida or South Carolina get paid $800K be competitive or beat them then be in the drivers seat for a $5M+ payout for the Access slot. But nope like I said and which you last 2 posts proves, your too pussy to step up in competition and take the easy route in life. Plus only a pussy can talk tough and get personal behind a computer. Ill continue to school you in this conversation. Only someone that's getting schooled gets personal. So carry on, its hilarious

Looks like someone here is looking for participation trophies.

Exactly Celt. I am looking to prove without a doubt we are the best G5 program and we aren't scared to play good competition, if we lose, we lose but playing a 1AA school proves NOTHING to me, this fanbase, or to the playoff committee who will be getting stricter and stricter with the G5 school

Reactions: WV_Celt
So playing and possibly beating a third P5 school doesn't but beating some BS 1AA school does?? Im sorry I would rather bring to the Playoff committee that includes 3 P5 schools and a MAC school then 2 P5 schools, a MAC school, and a BS 1AA school. I don't think you really understand that concept. I want a better resume then our closest competitors for the Access Spot. Playing an FCS school doesn't give us that. Especially when ECU is playing 3 teams couple that with their AAC schedule. Our conference schedule give us no room for error when we are playing FIAU, ODU, and UNCC every year. We have the talent, coaching staff and the S&C program to play 3 P5 games. We play and beat 3 P5 teams or even 2 out of the 3, not only will we be ranked and ranked high, we will be in the forefront. Beating a Florida or South Carolina on the road outweighs playing ANY 1AA or lower rung G5 program and nothing you say will change my opinion

WTF, Fever, you are calling Florida in the Swamp, UGA in Athens, OSU in Columbus, twice, Wisconsin in Madison, MSU in Lansing, UT in Knoxville, numerous games vs. VA TECH and WVU, both home and away, . . all these opponents were TERRIBLE teams??? What are you smoking, fella? We lost to a so so UNC game in Chapel Hill, lost to a poorly coached (Shannon) Miami, FL, team, and lost to NC State during Donnan's tenure, on some "home cookin", but these other "power" teams were far from TERRIBLE!!!

so what p5 team do you realistically think would come here in 2016?
None. It's going to be FCS, and everyone just needs to accept that. I don't think Hamrick has said it officially but I remember reading JackB, or maybe Smock or Redd saying it was all but signed just not announced who yet.

One big problem I have noticed in this thread is that a lot of you guys have no idea how this stuff works. This isn't NCAA '15 for PS4. I'd be willing to bet that no one from a P5 school that is in the bottom half of their league would even talk to Hamrick right now. Purdue will not sign another 1-1 with us, Vandy, Wake, UK, Rutgers, Virginia, Maryland, BC, etc. Why would they? They need to schedule as easy as possible to get to 6 wins and playing us isn't going to help that cause.

I LOVE our current scheduling philosophy and I have been calling for it since about 2005. We massively over scheduled for about 8 years and now we even things out a little and no one sees the correlation. Everyone wants to play the toughest schedule and go undefeated. When here in the real world our biggest seasons came when we played a very weak schedule, whether it was Cato or Chad, they both benefited from weak schedules and guess who else benefited? Us!!! We got to watching winning football. Then we joined a stronger conference with the toughest teams we ever faced on the schedule and what happened, losing happened. We are not Bama or Buckeyes. Do you want to be like WVU and play a tough schedule and hope we win 6-8 games or do you want to play weaker schedules and have a shot at undefeated seasons? Those are the only options for a school like us, and if you don't like it then you are either delusional or ignorant.

WTF, Fever, you are calling Florida in the Swamp, UGA in Athens, OSU in Columbus, twice, Wisconsin in Madison, MSU in Lansing, UT in Knoxville, numerous games vs. VA TECH and WVU, both home and away, . . all these opponents were TERRIBLE teams??? What are you smoking, fella? We lost to a so so UNC game in Chapel Hill, lost to a poorly coached (Shannon) Miami, FL, team, and lost to NC State during Donnan's tenure, on some "home cookin", but these other "power" teams were far from TERRIBLE!!!

Reading comprehension, where did I say those teams was terrible?? Link?

Saddest post I've ever read. Wow our fan base is something else. Yeah we played the 128th best schedule in the land and won double digit games we rock we are awesome! No wonder we are made fun of.

Just an FYI over scheduling had nothing to do with our record from 05 on. It was a combination of a horrible coach, poor recruiting and the remnants of being on probation. I would have loved to have had Doc Holiday assembling our talent during that time and played those schedules. With the talent he has brought to Marshall with the horrible years that preceded him being here I can't imagine him being able to recruit when Marshall was still a big daddy of the non power schools. Being able to use randy and Chad and Byron while they were all still in the league, plus the movie, it would have been crazy.

Just an FYI over scheduling had nothing to do with our record from 05 on. It was a combination of a horrible coach, poor recruiting and the remnants of being on probation. I would have loved to have had Doc Holiday assembling our talent during that time and played those schedules. With the talent he has brought to Marshall with the horrible years that preceded him being here I can't imagine him being able to recruit when Marshall was still a big daddy of the non power schools. Being able to use randy and Chad and Byron while they were all still in the league, plus the movie, it would have been crazy.

just fyi, poor coaching, horrible coaching, and probation recovery were large issues in our lack of winning, but you'd have to be a complete dolt to not think our schedule had anything to do with it. from 05-09 we played 28 road games (not counting tulane in mobile, not a true road game). of those 28 road games, 6 were against teams with a losing record that year and 12 were against teams that won 9+ games that season. seriously, in that 5 year span we played twice as many teams that won roughly 75% of their games than we did teams that could manage just a .500 record. also, 3 of those 6 game in 2009 (Memphis, Tulane, and UTEP), so in the span of 05-08, four seasons, we played 3 teams on the road that finished the season with a losing record. three times we played 3 bcs schools in same season.

so, yeah coaching was horrible then, recruiting below par, numbers were still down because of probation, but our schedule absolutely played a factor in our records from those years. in 2007, we went 0-6 on the road, which was atrocious, but when you look at who we played, we played 3 teams on the road that year that won 10+ games, we played at an average (at best) Miami F, lost at 8-5 houston (who had a 6 point loss at alabama, 2 point loss to ecu, 7 point loss to tcu), and lost at 7-5 memphis (who lost by 2 at ole miss, 4 at arkansas state).

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Stop being dumb, herdit.

Everyone knows that all you have to do is call the athletic director of a P5 school and you'll instantly be put on the schedule. It doesn't matter who it is, because we're mother****ing Marshall.

you're just proving my point. I'm saying playing wcu/norfolk state or buffalo/umass in indifferent because we draw really well for september games, no matter who we are playing. If we play a fcs school here and have nice weather we'll draw 27,000 or so. If we play buffalo or umass (or a school like that) and have nice weather we'll draw 27,000 or so. there's no difference in those games in terms of attendance, i was disputing a comment someone made that no one cares about fcs games and we'll have empty seats.
Well then your point wasn't particularly clear, and there was no reason to bring up the late season games to make that point.

IMO we shouldn't play FCS teams anyway simply because of how weak we look doing it, attendance woes or not.

just fyi, poor coaching, horrible coaching, and probation recovery were large issues in our lack of winning, but you'd have to be a complete dolt to not think our schedule had anything to do with it. from 05-09 we played 28 road games (not counting tulane in mobile, not a true road game). of those 28 road games, 6 were against teams with a losing record that year and 12 were against teams that won 9+ games that season. seriously, in that 5 year span we played twice as many teams that won roughly 75% of their games than we did teams that could manage just a .500 record. also, 3 of those 6 game in 2009 (Memphis, Tulane, and UTEP), so in the span of 05-08, four seasons, we played 3 teams on the road that finished the season with a losing record. three times we played 3 bcs schools in same season.

so, yeah coaching was horrible then, recruiting below par, numbers were still down because of probation, but our schedule absolutely played a factor in our records from those years. in 2007, we went 0-6 on the road, which was atrocious, but when you look at who we played, we played 3 teams on the road that year that won 10+ games, we played at an average (at best) Miami F, lost at 8-5 houston (who had a 6 point loss at alabama, 2 point loss to ecu, 7 point loss to tcu), and lost at 7-5 memphis (who lost by 2 at ole miss, 4 at arkansas state).

Recruiting was never an issue for Snyder, it was the off the field issues with the players that Snyder recruited and player development. We are pulling just as much 3 and 4 stars under Doc and Snyder. Doc key is finding the right 3 and 4 star players and developing it. Snyder and his staff couldn't develop talent or develop men off the field.

Now as far as your point about the schedule, Yea maybe playing VT, WVU, and Wisconsin when all was set to win their conference was a bit much in the same year. But once again no body is preaching that. But if the prevailing view that the 65 P5 schools are superior to all the G5 schools then we need to target about 35-40 of those schools and do what we can to get games even if that means if we have to go on the road in a 2 for 1. We have too many openings in the coming years that we can find some 2 for 1 with P5 schools and 1 and 1 with the elite G5 programs.

Also Docs 2013 to 2016 teams would crush ANY Marshall team from 2004-2012. The talent and skill development is there for us to be a perennial Top 25ish team. We need a schedule that match and playing 1AA schools with our poor conference schedule doesn't help

Reactions: JC102
This thread has taught me -

1. We aren't willing to take the chances to truly become the best G5 program
2. We can't come close to saying anytime, anywhere.
3. We are content to play a weak schedule with a few better teams sprinkled in. And truthfully, that's fine with me. But don't dare claim any school is scared to play us. That's pure BS. Just accept our place and enjoy it.
4. Not to open threads about our weak schedule.
5. This and other threads about our schedule will dominate this board until January.

Carry on. Can't we all just get along. ha!

Reactions: JC102
I'm still having trouble understanding the concept of "elite team or FCS." There's plenty of mid-level P5 and top-level G5 teams we can schedule, and bottom-level P5 and any G5 teams are still better than FCS.

At any rate, here in the land of make believe, who would everyone like to play out of those still available, regardless of home/away? I think that KState, UCF, and Army would all be fun games.

But don't dare claim any school is scared to play us. That's pure BS. Just accept our place and enjoy it.
Only Mike Hamrick (and select staff) know the extent to which this statement is true or bogus. We have only Harmick's publicly made comments to go on.

This is an issue that fans should take up with MH. He has repeatedly stated that as long as he is the AD there will not be any two for one's. A write in campaign may change his mind if we let him know what we - the ticket purchasing fans, want to see on our schedule. Get those FCS teams out of here IMO.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I think we should play any Power 5 Team that's willing to come to Huntington in the future as part of the deal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT