ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Season

Jartard

Platinum Buffalo
Oct 29, 2019
After squeaking by a terrible Albany team from the FCS, what guaranteed W’s do you see on our schedule? Will we make a bowl? Move on from Huff if not?

We all were in the same sour mood last year after the CCU game. I am hopeful it was a first game fluke and that we play lights out Saturday.
It's gonna be a barometer for sure on this season and if this staff/program is on the right track. Jmho

For what it is worth here are my thoughts. The defense is still good but they don't seem to be on the same level as last year. That means they aren't going to win games for us this year the offense is going to have to score points if we can expect to have a good season. Second, I am hopeful that Cam has developed some and can actually throw the ball downfield some. The game plan of short passes worked well on Saturday but that will not carry us against the better teams on our schedule. Yes Saturday was painful but I have been going to Marshall football games now for 50 years and I can recall games similar to this one. The Wofford (FCS) win 29-27 in week 11 during the 1998 season comes to mind. I could mention some other games over the years but I will say that I am hopeful that Huff lit a fire under them, I know BP always did when we had a letdown. Our OL did not dominate the line of scrimmage so I am not sure what to make of that either.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
^I'll have whatever this guy's having.

Unless that game ends up as a fluke (believe me, I hope it was) we are in for a long season.

Fancher is mediocre at best. I think he works hard, but so do washing machines, and you don't see them winning football games.

Ok I’m stealing the washing machine jab.

If we don’t play well this coming Saturday… VT is going to wear us out and it’s going to make that qb feel justified in leaving and I honestly cant have him walking out of the Joan with a win. I can’t fathom getting blown out, however, if Saturday was any indication… our QB sitch is in for a long season.

FIrst games can sometimes be ugly. If we get blown out by ECU then I'll be worried. I'm currently watching Clemson, a team many have returning to the CFP, struggling against Duke.

After squeaking by a terrible Albany team from the FCS, what guaranteed W’s do you see on our schedule? Will we make a bowl? Move on from Huff if not?
We moved the ball when Fancher started running some. I think he will run more in games to come and we will score enough points to win if our defense gets a little stronger. I believe that Albany team was better than most people think and their QB was very good . He was very fast and a strong arm.

We moved the ball when Fancher started running some. I think he will run more in games to come and we will score enough points to win if our defense gets a little stronger. I believe that Albany team was better than most people think and their QB was very good . He was very fast and a strong arm.
People wonder why Marshall is no longer a championship program. Because of posts like this.

Too many of you are justifying and rationalizing almost losing to an FCS team. People should be pissed. The players should be pissed. The coaches should be pissed.

No one should be happy about Saturday. We need to get back to expecting Championships.

Instead we have our HC saying this is the best win he's ever had, players saying that game showed how much hard work they put in during the off season, and fans using every rationalization possible to justify taking 3.5 quarters to score against an FCS team that only won 3 games last year and was picked to finish 11 in their conference.

Comparing us narrowly beating a bad FCS program to Clemson losing to a conference foe is such a reach.

Our glory years were two decades ago, not last week or last year. One league title in 20 plus years, one GOOD QB since 2003. We aren't world beaters any more. The game has changed, you need an active offense to win. Scoring points should be a priority. Our QB recruiting and development the last two decades has been atrocious.

Trickett sucks. He's a big problem as well.

Our glory years were two decades ago, not last week or last year. One league title in 20 plus years, one GOOD QB since 2003. We aren't world beaters any more. The game has changed, you need an active offense to win. Scoring points should be a priority. Our QB recruiting and development the last two decades has been atrocious.

Teams are not gonna want to schedule us! All gas, no breaks! 🤣

he may or may not suck, but anyone basing their opinion on this past game is foolish.

what guaranteed W’s do you see on our schedule?
None. There are some equally bad teams in the Sun Belt cellar, but this team is so untalented and so poorly coached, there is no game that can be taken for granted.
Will we make a bowl?
Not a shot.
Move on from Huff if not?
Nope. The powers around here want someone who talks a good game. CH and DD are perfect for them. One upset win and endless rah rah rah stupidity. They are happy. They accept mediocrity.

Reactions: 31Herd55
None. There are some equally bad teams in the Sun Belt cellar, but this team is so untalented and so poorly coached, there is no game that can be taken for granted.

Not a shot.

Nope. The powers around here want someone who talks a good game. CH and DD are perfect for them. One upset win and endless rah rah rah stupidity. They are happy. They accept mediocrity.
Do you promise to go away when all of these ignorant predictions crumble? NM St awaits. You and others like you quit on this team last year. You're a loser Sammy. "Fans" like you, who gladly accepted mediocrity and remained silent for a decade, really are not needed.

Not a shot.

We were mediocre long before Huff got here. Since 2004 basically.

People wonder why Marshall is no longer a championship program. Because of posts like this.

Too many of you are justifying and rationalizing almost losing to an FCS team. People should be pissed. The players should be pissed. The coaches should be pissed.

No one should be happy about Saturday. We need to get back to expecting Championships.

Instead we have our HC saying this is the best win he's ever had, players saying that game showed how much hard work they put in during the off season, and fans using every rationalization possible to justify taking 3.5 quarters to score against an FCS team that only won 3 games last year and was picked to finish 11 in their conference.

Comparing us narrowly beating a bad FCS program to Clemson losing to a conference foe is such a reach.
How do you know the coaches are not pissed? You were in the locker room?

They will not come out and defame a team that has a new, young starting qb. That's a great way to take any confidence away

We were mediocre long before Huff got here. Since 2004 basically.
It's the attitude from leadership. Listen to the coaches and players after the game. They were elated. They should have been pissed. What made us good under Donnan and Pruett was that we expected to win championships. We didn't hope to. We expected it. We were offended by losses and as Doug once said we were offended that the other team thought they could beat us.

Now we rationalize that Albany was actually better than we thought and it's the best win Huff has ever had.

Championship programs expect championships. That's the bar. Anything else is failure. Watch all-time great HCs. They can be up 40 points and losing their mind if a play isn't executed right.

Any all-time great coach or player has one mindset and one mindset only. Talent isn't what separates champions from also-rans. It's mindset and attitude. There are plenty of talented players and teams that never win anything. That's because they're happy to just be there.

We are now an "also ran" because we behave like an "also ran".

How do you know the coaches are not pissed? You were in the locker room?

They will not come out and defame a team that has a new, young starting qb. That's a great way to take any confidence away
Because I have listened to several interviews with the coaches and players. Huff called it the best win he's ever had and sounded like someone that just fought for their life and barely survived. Players were happy saying things like you can really see all the hard work we put in on display during this game.

Not once did anyone sound pissed that they almost had one of the worst losses in stadium history.

Huff sounded exactly like Mark Snyder used to.

It's the attitude from leadership. Listen to the coaches and players after the game. They were elated. They should have been pissed. What made us good under Donnan and Pruett was that we expected to win championships. We didn't hope to. We expected it. We were offended by losses and as Doug once said we were offended that the other team thought they could beat us.

Now we rationalize that Albany was actually better than we thought and it's the best win Huff has ever had.

Championship programs expect championships. That's the bar. Anything else is failure. Watch all-time great HCs. They can be up 40 points and losing their mind if a play isn't executed right.

Any all-time great coach or player has one mindset and one mindset only. Talent isn't what separates champions from also-rans. It's mindset and attitude. There are plenty of talented players and teams that never win anything. That's because they're happy to just be there.

We can't keep living in the past.I agree, we all want that but it was a different time and era. Not sure what the answer is.
Jim Grobe was correct , the MAC let the fox in the henhouse. Now the fox has gotten old and can't catch the chickens. Lol!
I am hoping this is a huge overreaction to a flukish first game.

We'll know either way by Saturday night.

The fan in me does not want to feel hopeless after one game, so I rationalize it. The objective follower of college football essentially agrees with Sam. This team appears to have a heavy offensive line that can't open holes in the run game, a group of WRs that would have been 4th and 5th options in our "glory years" and struggle to create separation down field, and a QB that still feels like an athlete playing out of position. Our defense seems fast, but at times had questionable tackling. Our kicking game appears to be an open ended question again. I am afraid that I see a coach trying to pull a Donnie Jones and build up a quick house of cards for a payday somewhere else, but I am not at all confident that we can actually win enough games for this to work.

I’m reserving judgement. Things to note:

Ali only had 6 1st half carries
Fancher didn’t run at all in the 1st half

My thought is the staff was protecting players in the first half because they thought they could.

We scored 3 TDs in 9 minutes in the second half when Ali got more touches and Fancher had designed runs.

I have heard 3 different players say players didn’t take the game seriously enough and watch enough film. I think that was a bleed over from the coaches planning a vanilla game. If the coaches thought it would be easy, so did the players.

So I’ll let you know if we are any good after this Saturday.

We can't keep living in the past.I agree, we all want that but it was a different time and era. Not sure what the answer is.
Jim Grobe was correct , the MAC let the fox in the henhouse. Now the fox has gotten old and can't catch the chickens. Lol!
I am hoping this is a huge overreaction to a flukish first game.

We'll know either way by Saturday night.
It's not living in the past. It's what the we're willing to accept. Just look at how the athletic department handles Dan and his situation.

Excellence is no longer demanded and expected. Just wins some games here and there and make a bowl and we're good.

Anyone that dares expect better is a bad fan.

I also don't see how it's an overreaction. It's not like we just went out and won the game and let Albany score garbage TDs and won 35-13 or something like that.

No we were dominated for 2.5 quarters and couldn't score. That should concern everyone. Even Doc's terrible teams handled their FCS games. No this looked like a Snyder debacle.

I don't think ECU is any good, but we looked horrible. At least they were playing Michigan.

It's funny we'll see other teams on our schedule struggle with FCS teams and clown on them, but when we do it so many want to ignore the warning signs.

Albany still had a chance to win that game. Not only did we struggle to score we could never put them away.

The other thing no one is talking about is how shaky the kicking game is again.

I don't care if it was a COVID year. Everyone was dealing with it. We have gone from playing for a conference championship to barely beating a bad FCS team in under 3 years and most think it's an overreaction to "one bad game". I can give you several bad game and dumb coaching decisions over the course of Huff's 27 games.

Reactions: Jartard
It's not living in the past. It's what the we're willing to accept. Just look at how the athletic department handles Dan and his situation.

Excellence is no longer demanded and expected. Just wins some games here and there and make a bowl and we're good.

I also don't see how it's an overreaction. It's not like we just went out and won the game and let Albany score garbage TDs and won 35-13 or something like that.

No we were dominated for 2.5 quarters and couldn't score. That should concern everyone. Even Doc's terrible teams handled their FCS games. No this looked like a Snyder debacle.

I don't think ECU is any good, but we looked horrible. At least they were playing Michigan.

It's funny we'll see other teams on our schedule struggle with FCS teams and clown on them, but when we do it so many want to ignore the warning signs.

Albany still had a chance to win that game. Not only did we struggle to score we could never put them away.

I don't care if it was a COVID year. Everyone was dealing with it. We have gone from playing for a conference championship to barely beating a bad FCS team in under 3 years and most think it's an overreaction to "one bad game". I can give you several bad game and dumb coaching decisions over the course of Huff's 27 games.
Doc had more than his fair share of bad games( some of the worst), Snyder, even the great Pruett. It happens. I'll wait until after Saturdays game and go from there. We all want to win, win big, and be dominant in the SB. Easier said than done these days. JMHO.

Do you promise to go away when all of these ignorant predictions crumble? NM St awaits. You and others like you quit on this team last year. You're a loser Sammy. "Fans" like you, who gladly accepted mediocrity and remained silent for a decade, really are not needed.
Way to go Raleigh I dont agree much with you but you are spot on here.

You need to change your nickname Bleeds as you certain dont sound like it here.

One thing I will say is Albany s quarterback is excellent. He was certainly not playing QB like someone at his teams level.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

So here you are complaining about the team not having a championship mentality and needing to be demanding more of itself...but at the same time you're essentially walking out on the team in giving up after one game?

Well, he was wrong about the baseball stadium...every day it is there is another day with a pie on his face.

But of course, he'll attempt to justify his reasoning behind it, "oh, how could I have known?! I was just going on what I saw!"

Or he may just quietly delete his posts and when told he gave up on the team he'll ask, "link?"

Because I have listened to several interviews with the coaches and players. Huff called it the best win he's ever had and sounded like someone that just fought for their life and barely survived. Players were happy saying things like you can really see all the hard work we put in on display during this game.

Not once did anyone sound pissed that they almost had one of the worst losses in stadium history.

Huff sounded exactly like Mark Snyder used to.
Huff will have to get that fixed.

• Haha
Well, he was wrong about the baseball stadium...every day it is there is another day with a pie on his face.

But of course, he'll attempt to justify his reasoning behind it, "oh, how could I have known?! I was just going on what I saw!"

Or he may just quietly delete his posts and when told he gave up on the team he'll ask, "link?"
Sammy calling this team "untalented" is about as dumb a comment as I've ever seen. Are there players I'm concerned about (Fancher)? Hell yes. But calling this team "untalented" is beyond a level of stupid even I didn't think he could reach.

I'm not even sure if Sammy attends games. His question about the existence of Mcd's behind the stadium on here last season sent up a flare. His level of hypocrisy for failing to call out all other previous underperforming seasons is documented here too. He's a loser.

Sammy (sic) calling this team "untalented" is about as dumb a comment as I've ever seen. Are there players I'm concerned about (Fancher)? Hell yes. But calling this team "untalented" is beyond a level of stupid even I didn't think he could reach.
Then it is poorly coached, or just unmotivated? Has to be one of the three to explain the abject failure that was game one.

I have complained as much as anyone about our near loss to Albany. I remember going to the Notre Dame board last year after we beat them in South Bend and their fans were complaining in the same fashion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT