ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any Herd Bball fans on this board?

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Pretty intense game last night where the Herd somehow overcame Wright State 96-88 to earn the 1st of what I believe will be 20+ wins this season!! 6 players in double figures and 10+ players seeing action. Toussant is going to be a nice complement to Milo. Sarenech (sp?) came in and made some plays, esp late with the steal & dunk to give us some cushion. Taylor ran point like we know he can, & Kinsey was solid, esp perfect at the line. We could have folded after Dan got T’d up, but didn’t let them get too far ahead. We didn’t shoot well from outside, but Obina & my man Darius finished 2 put back dunks that were back breakers!
DD has the horses this year to be special. We shall see how this squad develops going forward.
Go HERD!!!
WS

I was watching the soccer game on the tv and the basketball game on the iPad.

I was impressed with their fight to rally back and win a physical game. Interior defense was a struggle until the last few minutes.

Caught the second half... We can score from all 5 spots which is great. The key to improving will be individual, man on man, defense. There were stretches last night where we didn't look real interested in guarding anybody and we can give up 65 point to two guys and expect to be successful very often.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Pretty intense game last night where the Herd somehow overcame Wright State 96-88 to earn the 1st of what I believe will be 20+ wins this season!! 6 players in double figures and 10+ players seeing action. Toussant is going to be a nice complement to Milo. Sarenech (sp?) came in and made some plays, esp late with the steal & dunk to give us some cushion. Taylor ran point like we know he can, & Kinsey was solid, esp perfect at the line. We could have folded after Dan got T’d up, but didn’t let them get too far ahead. We didn’t shoot well from outside, but Obina & my man Darius finished 2 put back dunks that were back breakers!
DD has the horses this year to be special. We shall see how this squad develops going forward.
Go HERD!!!
WS
I agree on Toussant. I think he's going to be good addition to the team.

I thought they looked really good. Not only played 9-10 players but all played pivotal minutes and contributed. Had 6 players in double figures. The freshman looked good. For so many new additions and line ups they played together like the rotations had been set or some time.

Go HERD!!!
WS

WELCOME. Discussing the REGULAR SEASON of basketball, like it MEANS SOMETHING. Analyzing, thinking, reasoning. Learning.

Welcome. The water is fine. We will have a great 4 months. There will be ups, worthy of discussion and pride. And there will be downs, the fact of which that one time we had an 8 day hot streak or that, bluntly, this conference is always going to be a one-bid 13th-ish seed league, are NOT RELEVANT. Just discuss the games, as they come, good and bad.

Welcome. Glad to have you.

As to this game, and your other comments. I had this one penciled in as a loss. Solid performance. 20 wins, should be a lock, given the schedule.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I will say that there is at least atmosphere at a MU basketball game. I've been to more lively funerals than our home FB games.
I was really surprised Friday night. I didn’t go to any games last season and have only been exposed to football.

It really was a good atmosphere, especially considering the crowd was <50% of capacity. The music was loud & clear, the videos & graphics they did looked really nice. They did interactive things with the crowd where you could get on an app and answer questions and they’d announce a winner. There were interesting trivia questions/“Did You Know?” segments during halftime. I believe the Chapmanville girls team was in attendance and they were behind me yelling out the answers/arguing/talking trash to each other. It felt like I was attending a college sporting event in 2021 and it was really cool.

Then the next day you walk into the football game and it was pitiful. There’s seriously a problem with it.

Have you gone to many basketball games while DD has been coach?
Yeah, I had season tickets in Elmore’s freshman & sophomore seasons (attended most games). I had to go through chemo & radiation going into his junior season and stopped season tickets then, so I was sporadic from 2017-2019. I didn’t attend any last season. Got season tickets again this year.

Yeah, I had season tickets in Elmore’s freshman & sophomore seasons (attended most games). I had to go through chemo & radiation going into his junior season and stopped season tickets then, so I was sporadic from 2017-2019. I didn’t attend any last season. Got season tickets again this year.

I've definitely had more fun and enjoyed MU basketball more than football over the last 6 or 7 years. Been disappointed with attendance at both but it seems at least basketball fans have gotten excited and engaged during some games. Can't necessarily say that about football games.

Sorry to hear about your treatments. Hope you are doing well!

I've definitely had more fun and enjoyed MU basketball more than football over the last 6 or 7 years. Been disappointed with attendance at both but it seems at least basketball fans have gotten excited and engaged during some games. Can't necessarily say that about football games.

Sorry to hear about your treatments. Hope you are doing well!
Thanks, man. All seems well.

Yeah, the center-court video boards were a huge upgrade to the Henderson center. But it seems like we knew how to use them to their full capabilities and have really enhanced the experience. The player intros, with the video/phots shots @Keith Albee, with the “Greatest Show in Town!” announcement…it just feels big.

Can’t say the same for football.

Thanks, man. All seems well.

Yeah, the center-court video boards were a huge upgrade to the Henderson center. But it seems like we knew how to use them to their full capabilities and have really enhanced the experience. The player intros, with the video/phots shots @Keith Albee, with the “Greatest Show in Town!” announcement…it just feels big.

Can’t say the same for football.

Good deal.

When did the fan apathy in football hit? I remember taking a couple UK fans to a weeknight game against UCF in 2010 - Doc's first year. They were impressed with the energy and experience, especially compared with UK football. Went to a UK game a few weeks ago and now it has been flipped.

G5 vs. P5 divide?
Doc fatigue?
Weakening of CUSA?
Loss of rivalry games?
Others?

WELCOME. Discussing the REGULAR SEASON of basketball, like it MEANS SOMETHING. Analyzing, thinking, reasoning. Learning.

Welcome. The water is fine. We will have a great 4 months. There will be ups, worthy of discussion and pride. And there will be downs, the fact of which that one time we had an 8 day hot streak or that, bluntly, this conference is always going to be a one-bid 13th-ish seed league, are NOT RELEVANT. Just discuss the games, as they come, good and bad.

Welcome. Glad to have you.

As to this game, and your other comments. I had this one penciled in as a loss. Solid performance. 20 wins, should be a lock, given the schedule.

Sam - color me slobberknockerd! I always smile when you reference the hot steak, since i believe i was the one who originally typed it. I agree - 20 wins minimum. I also believe DD is on the cusp of 2nd most wins in school history........

Reactions: greengeezer
Good deal.

When did the fan apathy in football hit? I remember taking a couple UK fans to a weeknight game against UCF in 2010 - Doc's first year. They were impressed with the energy and experience, especially compared with UK football. Went to a UK game a few weeks ago and now it has been flipped.

G5 vs. P5 divide?
Doc fatigue?
Weakening of CUSA?
Loss of rivalry games?
Others?

KyMU - I wold say that has been one of the most heavily debated topics in the history of this board! All of the above + the modern development of video games, texting, streaming, the weather (of course!), the ability to leave the stadium at the 1/2 & potentially never make it back inside the gates & even though there have been legitimate attempts at improving the game-day fan experience this season, there's just not enough at this point to attract the casual fan. We have 17-20k die hards. After that, it is a tough hill to climb..........imo.........

Reactions: KyMUfan
Good deal.

G5 vs. P5 divide?
Doc fatigue?
Weakening of CUSA?
Loss of rivalry games?
Others?
It’s death by 1,000 paper cuts, IMO. Those issues you listed there are part of it. I think people have been trying to find the answer for some time, but some of the questions don’t have an answer or the answer to one doesn’t help some other issues. So it feels like even when progress is made, there’s no ground being gained. Sadly, it feels helpless. I hope the move to the SBC, with a new administration can at least have a feeling of a “reset” and get rid of some of the ghosts/demons that plague the place.

Sitting in the cold at the football stadium irritated over the 20 million TV timeouts, I was thinking the same thing. Basketball has been immensely more enjoyable over the last 5-10 years than football. It seemed so dead at the football game, and it wasn't just the fans. I noted one third down in the third quarter where the "third down bell" wasn't played before a play on defense. Apparently even the PA/game management staff are falling asleep at the wheel at the Joan now. I feel silly criticizing minimal things that don't really contribute heavily to my enjoyment (kind of like people who get all up in arms over uniforms and colors...I could care less what we look like as long as we are winning), but every single detail seems to be lackluster. Even when the band takes the field for the pregame performance. A couple of years ago, the band would run onto the field from all four corners while fairly exciting dramatic intro music played. Now they play that same exciting music as our teeny tiny little band marches slowly inches their way onto the field in one big caterpillar-speed moving group. Entertainment effort is lacking all the way around on football game day. I too pray that the SBC changes allow us to hit the reset button. It's certainly not the game day experience I grew up loving.

Basketball is played inside in a warm intimate setting. Football is cold and in November and December there aren’t enough fans anymore to block the frigid wind blowing off the Ohio River.

Fans just want MU to exist in 2 areas at the same time which absolutely cannot happen.
In one area, MU can never lose a game, is the best G5 program out there, and it's a crime Alabama hasn't put MU on the schedule for a home and home.
In the other area, MU is a small public university in rural, poor WV. MU couldn't possibly compete with Boise or ucf...no money, no market, no recruits etc.
Do you know how hard it is for ANY program at any level to go undefeated? You get maybe two schools a season, 1 P5 and 1 G5, and that's it. The shock and awe that MU can lose a game, is not entirely out of the realm of realism, as every team experiences it. Get over it, MU will lose games. Everyone drops a game they shouldn't.

Then there are those who will say, "Well, Huff goes 9-3 or 8-4...just being realistic" flip the hell out when he...actually...loses a game or two. Like those fans wanted to be wrong about being realistic??
There's literally a thread questioning Huff's ability to coach, who hasn't underachieved by the pre-season predictions of the majority here and by the ones done by most publications...yet somehow he's in the same conversation with a guy who apparently has destroyed MU beyond all repair with his coaching and record over 11 years.
Makes no sense at all with this crowd.
As for the games themselves:
You want less advertising? Be ready to pay a higher price for a ticket to offset the cost of less advertising. You want to compete with the top level G5 programs? Maybe you'll have to sit through a bad weather game moving at a snail's pace, but your presence will show MU has the support to be a top level G5 program...this includes bad teams coming to town because MU simply can't get the SEC on the schedule every year, settle for someone else and be happy MU has a program.

Funny how some here are completely pessimistic in MU making the atmosphere better, when Huff literally changed how the tailgates happen, in an effort to make things a better overall experience for fans.
As much of a letdown as some games under Huff have been, at least he is trying to make things better, and he hasn't been here a full season. Unlike some who boast having followed the Herd for decades long before Huff was even born and haven't done jack sh*t in that time frame to help or suggest changes.

My question is, and I really am asking, why? When did it become about everything EXCEPT the game's outcome? If DD and the basketball team get crushed at home, I don't know anyone who'd say, "boy, that was exciting!!" It has happened, Dan hasn't exactly shown up consistently when a marquee win was on the table.
Is it the pace of basketball by comparison to football? Is it that everything's more compact and indoors so its easier to follow? The basketball games have tons of advertising in them as well...entire timeouts focus on business' mascots doing weird stuff on the court.
But somehow, its better than football? You're likely also going to have more advertising because they don't get the money football does thus, they need more of it...in a building everyone (even DD) has complained about for years?

Not sure the answer myself, but even with a high powered offense like Bama, Nick Saban even called out the fans for leaving early, so I guess MU and Bama are alike in that sense.

Basketball is played inside in a warm intimate setting. Football is cold and in November and December there aren’t enough fans anymore to block the frigid wind blowing off the Ohio River.
There's more than enough fans to make a decent showing at a football game.
They also sit in trees before the sun comes up for hours drenched in deer urine, for what they hope, will be a buck to arrive.

But a guaranteed football game is somehow less wanted?

It’s death by 1,000 paper cuts, IMO. Those issues you listed there are part of it. I think people have been trying to find the answer for some time, but some of the questions don’t have an answer or the answer to one doesn’t help some other issues. So it feels like even when progress is made, there’s no ground being gained. Sadly, it feels helpless. I hope the move to the SBC, with a new administration can at least have a feeling of a “reset” and get rid of some of the ghosts/demons that plague the place.
Stuck is the word I've used.

While we debate this, the basketball team is in a close game in the 2nd half with and 0-5 NAIA team.

When I posted, Milligan scored the first 9 points in the 2nd and it was a 3 point game.

This is one that should be 110-60. They are even missing some starters.

Wright State picked to win their (Horizon) league. As long as Byers’ touches are limited, we may be ok against Campbell too.

DD moved past Huckabay for 2nd in wins

Last edited:
Wright State picked to win their (Horizon) league. As long as Byers’ touches are limited, we may be ok against Campbell too.

DD moved past Huckabee for 2nd in wins
#1 is like Joe DiMaggio’s 56 game hitting streak, + Marshall building a baseball stadium, combined in the same year. The Old Man, burning cig hanging out of his mouth, sits on top of Mt. Everest. DD just got off the helicopter at base camp (17,000 ft). If Dan was only 43 instead of 73!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT