ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

MUAlum2004

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 9, 2007
Herd had a no hitter broke up in the 6th inning and and was leading 6-0 after 6. Lost 7-6 after giving up 7 runs in the 7th.

• Angry
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Lost second game, 5-1, and thus are swept in "Hotlana"! Have two games mid week with VA Tech, then a home series with JMU. Season runs till Mid-May as far as regular play. Some other tough foes ahead in Conference play, including season ending series at Coastal C. Unless HERD turns it around could easily be looking at a 40 loss season. Right now it appears very doubtful if MU qualifies for the SBC postseason tourney!

I would hope we are giving our newly minted head baseball coach, who has so much more of a proven resume’ at a Power 5 program than any HC we’ve hired, (ever?) a pass this year. afaik - there’s not much of a portal effect in baseball, yet?

Last edited:
Portal is huge in baseball/softball. More than any other sports, truthfully.

It could always be worse. ULM lost 35-8 to Georgia Southern.

Reactions: MUAlum2004
Didn’t he get a late start With his hIrving Pretty close to the start of the season. Let’s see what he does with a year or recruiting.

I would hope we are giving our newly minted head baseball coach, who has so much more of a proven resume’ at a Power 5 program than any HC we’ve hired, (ever?) a pass this year. afaik - there’s not much of a portal effect in baseball, yet?
If I had to guess this year is a wash, and has been from the get go.

He came in what, a month before the season? The staff he has is Waggs' and none of the players are his.

I'd say we'll see the real Beals effect in 2 years.

If I had to guess this year is a wash, and has been from the get go.

He came in what, a month before the season? The staff he has is Waggs' and none of the players are his.

I'd say we'll see the real Beals effect in 2 years.
Exactly. He came in just to manage and get organized this year.
Give him a couple of years to retool the roster and see what he can do.
I don't expect any major shifts until year 3 or so.
He's got the toughest building job since Lengyel in 71.

The men play hard, just (candidly, and no cut on the current players) don't have the pitching to participate at the level of their schedule. Will it come, who knows. But it is what it is for now. Hopefully the gents will keep up their spirits, the worthy ones will stay and give Beals a chance, and the rest will walk into a different future.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The SBC is a major conference in baseball. MU has played without a stadium and forced coaches to either outright lie, or at least have plausible deniability and be "shocked, shocked" when the stadium they promised decades of recruits would be finished in a year or two, never happened.

That aside, even with a stadium, having a good baseball team in the cold states is very hard to do. The 22 CWS had one participant from the north (Notre Dame which has like 100000 resources for every one we have). About the same all the way back. A cold state team wins the national championship about once every 20 years.

A lot of the SBC puts a lot of emphasis on baseball. It is probably the #2 sport for 1/3rd of the conference, over men's basketball. Coastal Carolina and Southern Mississippi, among others, are certainly national powers. In conferences where cold and warm weather states mix, competing from the north is very hard to do.

The best we can hope for in baseball is a representative showing. Not be last every year. Maybe make the SBC tournament (won't this year) every now and then. Maybe have a winning record.

The SBC is a major conference in baseball. MU has played without a stadium and forced coaches to either outright lie, or at least have plausible deniability and be "shocked, shocked" when the stadium they promised decades of recruits would be finished in a year or two, never happened.

That aside, even with a stadium, having a good baseball team in the cold states is very hard to do. The 22 CWS had one participant from the north (Notre Dame which has like 100000 resources for every one we have). About the same all the way back. A cold state team wins the national championship about once every 20 years.

A lot of the SBC puts a lot of emphasis on baseball. It is probably the #2 sport for 1/3rd of the conference, over men's basketball. Coastal Carolina and Southern Mississippi, among others, are certainly national powers. In conferences where cold and warm weather states mix, competing from the north is very hard to do.

The best we can hope for in baseball is a representative showing. Not be last every year. Maybe make the SBC tournament (won't this year) every now and then. Maybe have a winning record.
Compared to where I now live in WV, Huntington IS a warm state. May 1 and it is snowing

This is about the most positive/optimistic thing you have said about baseball and the stadium.

Good analysis!
No, it wasn't. I disproved that same claim multiple times on here about college baseball and the weather.

His argument is that only warm weather schools succeed at a high level, he mentions that only one out of the eight CWS participants in 2022 were from the north, and uses that to claim that Marshall doesn't have a chance at high-level success.

What he fails to realize is that multiple schools in the CWS have very similar monthly weather temperatures to Huntington. Notre Dame's is colder. Arkansas' is arguably colder during the winter months. Both Oklahoma and Stanford are slightly warmer during the winter months but not by much of a margin to impact success in baseball. So half of the eight participants had either colder, about the same, or just slightly better average temperatures in the winter compared to Huntington.

And since he can't see my posts, you should copy-and-paste it so we can see him argue about how Cairo, Egypt has different temperatures, since he will try sullying the argument.

No, it wasn't. I disproved that same claim multiple times on here about college baseball and the weather.

His argument is that only warm weather schools succeed at a high level, he mentions that only one out of the eight CWS participants in 2022 were from the north, and uses that to claim that Marshall doesn't have a chance at high-level success.

What he fails to realize is that multiple schools in the CWS have very similar monthly weather temperatures to Huntington. Notre Dame's is colder. Arkansas' is arguably colder during the winter months. Both Oklahoma and Stanford are slightly warmer during the winter months but not by much of a margin to impact success in baseball. So half of the eight participants had either colder, about the same, or just slightly better average temperatures in the winter compared to Huntington.

And since he can't see my posts, you should copy-and-paste it so we can see him argue about how Cairo, Egypt has different temperatures, since he will try sullying the argument.
Not so sure that I agree with you. I know we agree a lot but, not so sure on this one. If you look at the evidence of the CWS over a decade or more, it seems to be dominated by teams from the South and out West. I would also have to come to the conclusion that youth baseball, high school ball, and travel ball are on another level than up North. The CWS seems to have been dominated by teams from the South and West.

Always seems when there is discussion heating up on this site, along comes someone like herdman armed with a bunch of facts which has the effect of throwing a large bucket of ice water on the entire scenario!! BOO!

Not so sure that I agree with you. I know we agree a lot but, not so sure on this one. If you look at the evidence of the CWS over a decade or more, it seems to be dominated by teams from the South and out West.
You’re arguing something that I’m not. Samantha’s claim was that, due to weather, Marshall can only best expect to “make the conference tournament every now and then.” Again, due to the weather. In reality, there are multiple teams every year with similar weather to Huntington that make the CWS. I just listed half of the field from last year and how Huntington’s weather stacks up against them competitively for baseball.

I would also have to come to the conclusion that youth baseball, high school ball, and travel ball are on another level than up North. .

A couple of things:
1) WV, especially Huntington, isn’t the “north.” When it comes to comparing weather - ya’ know, the topic we were debating - Huntington is much closer to Arkansas’ or Oklahoma’s weather than it is to UConn’s, Oregon State’s or Notre Dame’s weather.
2) Yes, that’s accurate about youths, but Marshall hasn’t recruited primarily locally/from the north for 20+ years.

Samantha claimed that a north/cold weather team wins it about once every 20 years. Oregon State has won three of the last 16 just on their own. Now, compare the difference between winning the national championship and just making it to the conference tournament every once in a while, which is what Samantha argued would be our max.

You’re arguing something that I’m not. Samantha’s claim was that, due to weather, Marshall can only best expect to “make the conference tournament every now and then.” Again, due to the weather. In reality, there are multiple teams every year with similar weather to Huntington that make the CWS. I just listed half of the field from last year and how Huntington’s weather stacks up against them competitively for baseball.

A couple of things:
1) WV, especially Huntington, isn’t the “north.” When it comes to comparing weather - ya’ know, the topic we were debating - Huntington is much closer to Arkansas’ or Oklahoma’s weather than it is to UConn’s, Oregon State’s or Notre Dame’s weather.
2) Yes, that’s accurate about youths, but Marshall hasn’t recruited primarily locally/from the north for 20+ years.

Samantha claimed that a north/cold weather team wins it about once every 20 years. Oregon State has won three of the last 16 just on their own. Now, compare the difference between winning the national championship and just making it to the conference tournament every once in a while, which is what Samantha argued would be our max.
Fair enough. There is a difference between geography and weather.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT