ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Players Entering The Portal

Dec 12, 2023
I see that Cam Crawford and Pete Moe are entering the portal. I wonder if any other players will be leaving? With Dan's recruiting ability or lack of recruiting ability, it is going to be interesting.

Crawford, Curly, Martin, Obinna, Marko, Kam can’t throw it in the ocean, Big G….
am I missing anybody? No worries - plenty of talent in the 304!
Forgot about Voyles…

Last edited:
Crawford, Curly, Martin, Obinna, Marko, Kam can’t throw it in the ocean, Big G….
am I missing anybody? No worries - plenty of talent in the 304!
I get your point, but not one player you mentioned is from the 304. In fact, DD's best teams were led by the 304. The women's basketball team is led by the 304. While you can't have a team of 304 players, they are not what DD's problems are.

Last edited:
Has any team ever had 100 percent turnover?... If we are going to be terrible, we should at least try to be interesting.

Send the returning squad packing for Concord, Bluefield, etc. and find 14 new guys!

Besides OAK and Martin, there is not one other guy on our roster that is a capable player for a mid-major at the D1 level. Glad to see Curfman gone. That dude shot us out of more games than he ever helped us win.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Has any team ever had 100 percent turnover?... If we are going to be terrible, we should at least try to be interesting.

Send the returning squad packing for Concord, Bluefield, etc. and find 14 new guys!
See Utah State this year. Every player that scored for them the previous year moved on, thus an entire new team and won the MWC regular season.

I said on another board - do you really want a player that is dumb enough to come back into this mess? I can forgive new guys, they don’t know, but after seeing it for a year or two a player has to know this can’t be how it’s done.

Tim Hensley is reporting Toussaint and McKey are also entering the Portal. No surprised since they were red shirting this year. Dan has been wasting scholarships and costing Marshall money.
Agree with costing us money… mediocre ball and lack of winning at a cost of 600k+

I know I could do a better job for 600k, 500k would buy me a lot of players and still afford to live in Chesapeake…..

Can you incorporate playing terms in the scholarship agreement? Meaning that, player AB will play 3 years at Marshall with no transfer option? Just curious.

Can you incorporate playing terms in the scholarship agreement? Meaning that, player AB will play 3 years at Marshall with no transfer option? Just curious.
Absolutely not... Scholarship "offers" are not contracts. And the transfer portal has been upheld in court. You can't even put in a clause that says "Player A can transfer at their discretion, but not to schools A, B, or C."

The only way the landscape of college sports can be significantly altered at this point (since there NCAA has been neutered) is if Congress puts in some sort of national "regulations."... One thing that has been floated is giving each player one free transfer as an undergrad, for any reason or no reason at all, and then a second free graduate transfer. Which would eliminate guys going to 4 schools in 5 years chasing an extra NIL dollar or two.

Another idea is putting in a cap number, essentially a salary cap, that each school must abide by -- but that isn't likely to fly because the big dogs of NIL (Bama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, etc) do not want a level playing field with everyone else.

Absolutely not... Scholarship "offers" are not contracts. And the transfer portal has been upheld in court. You can't even put in a clause that says "Player A can transfer at their discretion, but not to schools A, B, or C."

The only way the landscape of college sports can be significantly altered at this point (since there NCAA has been neutered) is if Congress puts in some sort of national "regulations."... One thing that has been floated is giving each player one free transfer as an undergrad, for any reason or no reason at all, and then a second free graduate transfer. Which would eliminate guys going to 4 schools in 5 years chasing an extra NIL dollar or two.

Another idea is putting in a cap number, essentially a salary cap, that each school must abide by -- but that isn't likely to fly because the big dogs of NIL (Bama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, etc) do not want a level playing field with everyone else.
I think the best way to level the playing field is, just do away scholarships all together…

No money offered to any student period, the athletes have pay to play and pay equal amount.. talk about driving down the price of tuition for all students…
If a athlete wants paid skip school and get a job, NFL MLB NBA or Lowes…

Reactions: wvumtk and ru4_mu2
Since scholarships are awarded on an annual basis, I am unclear how funds could be wasted on them. It's important to recognize that universities have the flexibility to adjust or revoke scholarships as needed, based on factors such as performance, team needs, or academic standing. Similarly, student-athletes also have the choice to not return for another year.

I believe all the NCAA would have to do is reinstitute the transfer rule. However instead of always having to sit out you can still freely transfer as long as you do it before the completion of your sophomore season.

I think the best way to level the playing field is, just do away scholarships all together…

No money offered to any student period, the athletes have pay to play and pay equal amount.. talk about driving down the price of tuition for all students…
I don't like that at all and it's because you are punishing the vast majority of college athletes that depend on those scholarships to attend college. We're just paying attention to the high profile cases when the vast majority of college athletes aren't participating in the madness.

If you really wanted to go that route you could put a cap on NIL/Scholarship eligibility. Meaning once a player receives so much NIL in excess of their scholarship value then they no long qualify to receive a scholarship. If you're Caleb Williams out here making $6M in NIL money then you don't need a free ride.

I'm still shocked that the top 1/2 to 1/4 of the P5 aren't doing that already because it's an easy way to circumvent the 85 scholarship limit.

I was talking to a coach recently and he believes there will be a shift away from NIL in a few years, and his reasoning made sense. Instead of this money from boosters that was going to the programs, it’s now going to be going to the players. Upgrades, staff pay, equipment, etc, etc is gonna inevitably take a hit. Now granted some of the bigger programs will be just fine, but even they will be getting less money.

I don't like that at all and it's because you are punishing the vast majority of college athletes that depend on those scholarships to attend college. We're just paying attention to the high profile cases when the vast majority of college athletes aren't participating in the madness.

If you really wanted to go that route you could put a cap on NIL/Scholarship eligibility. Meaning once a player receives so much NIL in excess of their scholarship value then they no long qualify to receive a scholarship. If you're Caleb Williams out here making $6M in NIL money then you don't need a free ride.

I'm still shocked that the top 1/2 to 1/4 of the P5 aren't doing that already because it's an easy way to circumvent the 85 scholarship limit.
How about abolish all scholarships and if you wanna play you pay… how many universities would be lowering their tuition so they could get athletes, cheapest place gets a lot of attention that way…

Sports get the vast majority nowhere besides maybe bragging rights and a free steak… maybe focus, as a whole, that it needs to be less sports and more real life education like math, construction, what happens when you run out of money, how to change your oil, manage money, etc.

...a return to true amateurism! Love to see it but it'll never happen!

How about abolish all scholarships and if you wanna play you pay… how many universities would be lowering their tuition so they could get athletes, cheapest place gets a lot of attention that way…

Sports get the vast majority nowhere besides maybe bragging rights and a free steak… maybe focus, as a whole, that it needs to be less sports and more real life education like math, construction, what happens when you run out of money, how to change your oil, manage money, etc.
Which is the whole purpose of scholarships.

You want to fix the problem? Stop paying coaching $10M+ with $65-95M buyouts.

Scholarships are not what's wrong with collegiate sports.

There's too much outside money influencing. It really started to degrade once ESPN bought all the bowls. They have far too much influence on the sport which is no longer a sport as it's curated programming.

I believe all the NCAA would have to do is reinstitute the transfer rule. However instead of always having to sit out you can still freely transfer as long as you do it before the completion of your sophomore season.

That would not fly, basically that is what is being determined in the courts right now of if the anti trust Sherman law applies (personally, believe they do).

In your scenario, you are still penalizing people that might want to transfer to get the most bang with their NIL.

Legislative branch is going to have to give some teeth back to the NCAA with laws to address the matter (gone are the days of the NCAA just coming up with memos and the schools to figure it out but still have to fall in line with NCAA arbitrary rules, because it will just get held up in courts and they then decide).

Think we are still a long ways from the shakeup.
Players will end up unionizing and a collective bargaining agreement will have to come in place (there you can set rules for cap spending, penalties for tampering with players or coaches, holding players to commitments, etc.).

Which is the whole purpose of scholarships.

You want to fix the problem? Stop paying coaching $10M+ with $65-95M buyouts.

Scholarships are not what's wrong with collegiate sports.

There's too much outside money influencing. It really started to degrade once ESPN bought all the bowls. They have far too much influence on the sport which is no longer a sport as it's curated programming.

It was gone once the courts ruled in favor of Oklahoma against the NCAA on media rights in 1984. Oddly enough referencing anti trust laws Sherman act and Clayton act.

That would not fly, basically that is what is being determined in the courts right now of if the anti trust Sherman law applies (personally, believe they do).

In your scenario, you are still penalizing people that might want to transfer to get the most bang with their NIL.

Legislative branch is going to have to give some teeth back to the NCAA with laws to address the matter (gone are the days of the NCAA just coming up with memos and the schools to figure it out but still have to fall in line with NCAA arbitrary rules, because it will just get held up in courts and they then decide).

Think we are still a long ways from the shakeup.
Players will end up unionizing and a collective bargaining agreement will have to come in place (there you can set rules for cap spending, penalties for tampering with players or coaches, holding players to commitments, etc.).
I'm not sure that's the case. The NCAA has already ruled that you cannot transfer freely multiple times. That you only get one now. The NCAA and the schools can do whatever they want regarding educational benefits and eligibility. What they can't do is do anything regarding a player's financial opportunities. There can be not cap or restriction on how much they can earn or where they earn it from and there can be no incentives put into NIL offers.

Also because of the way college sports are structured and the avenues of entry to the sport a players union would do nothing. If all the current players went on strike today they'd just be ending their careers because there are thousands of high school players at the ready to take their spots. You'd have to get every single player in America to agree not to cross the picket line and that simply isn't happening.

The only realistic thing at this point is to ride this wave out and these companies and donors start to see how horrible the ROI is and the NIL deal dry up except for the select few visible stars. This stuff of giving a school millions to buy a recruiting class will stop eventually because Texas A&M is proof that it doesn't equal a title. That and the when someone gives a player six figures and then he dips with your money. Local businesses will still give the Rakeem Catos and Pat Whites money to do commercials for them and the Caleb Williams level players will still get the corporate endorsement deals, but I think we'll see the endless money to buy rosters drying up.

It was gone once the courts ruled in favor of Oklahoma against the NCAA on media rights in 1984. Oddly enough referencing anti trust laws Sherman act and Clayton act.
From what I've always understood that to be a net positive for teams as a whole as the NCAA wasn't the lone decision maker.

I'm not sure that's the case. The NCAA has already ruled that you cannot transfer freely multiple times. That you only get one now. The NCAA and the schools can do whatever they want regarding educational benefits and eligibility. What they can't do is do anything regarding a player's financial opportunities. There can be not cap or restriction on how much they can earn or where they earn it from and there can be no incentives put into NIL offers.
It is absolutely the case. The current transfer rules prohibit players from monetizing the most out of their NIL (having to sit out a year is currently being argued you are not able to make the most out of your nil and the NCAA is collectively penalizing those people).

The NCAA could not give a reason either of why a person is not penalized for transferring once, but are for a second time (unless the ncaa approves that transfer, which was an arbitrary answer).

It is also why the NCAA had to suspend their transfer rules because it is being reviewed by the courts if it violates anti trust laws.

Doesn't matter, the courts will decide by the end of the spring semester and then everyone will go from there.

Last edited:
From what I've always understood that to be a net positive for teams as a whole as the NCAA wasn't the lone decision maker.

It depends, so now instead of the NCAA deciding who gets put on national tv, conferences and schools can make the deals with the networks (cough like ESPN). Thus the forming of these super conferences for tv revenue and killing off historical conferences.

Last edited:
Since scholarships are awarded on an annual basis, I am unclear how funds could be wasted on them. It's important to recognize that universities have the flexibility to adjust or revoke scholarships as needed, based on factors such as performance, team needs, or academic standing. Similarly, student-athletes also have the choice to not return for another year.
Giving a scholarship for a guy to redshirt so he can save his eligibility for another team is wasted funds.

In this era I would not redshirt anyone for any reason. Odds are very few players are going to be here 4 years. If you get them here and find out you missed on their potential just boot them after the season. Why pay for 5 years when the only guys that would be here 5 years are the ones not good enough to play or transfer?

No way Danny can cogitate well enough to lure any D1 talent. Can you imagine his sales pitch?
DD: “Deandre’, I learned from the best - my Daddy & Big E…”
D: Elvin Hayes??
DD: “No siree. Ellis Johnson. He was an All America for Adolph”
D:Hitler?
DD: “No! Rupp. And that system still works if you have the right players.”
D Sorry Coach. My agent just called with a $250k offer from Cal.”
DD: Coolidge?

I am sure the big donors who love Dan have made it known they want him to return. If we were flush with money, I bet he would have been fired the day after the last game. jmho. Very similar to when the Gibsons hired Snyder.

No way Danny can cogitate well enough to lure any D1 talent. Can you imagine his sales pitch?
DD: “Deandre’, I learned from the best - my Daddy & Big E…”
D: Elvin Hayes??
DD: “No siree. Ellis Johnson. He was an All America for Adolph”
D:Hitler?
DD: “No! Rupp. And that system still works if you have the right players.”
D Sorry Coach. My agent just called with a $250k offer from Cal.”
DD: Coolidge?
Hahahahahahahaah....laugh or cry is really about all we have left!

Agree with costing us money… mediocre ball and lack of winning at a cost of 600k+

I know I could do a better job for 600k, 500k would buy me a lot of players and still afford to live in Chesapeake…..

You have a roster of guys on your radar to recruit, you should know others do too. With a mere $500K, you could enter a bidding war for one or two, where the competing school will outbid you, just to simply prevent you from getting that player.
You also can't just hope a player takes your offer, there's gotta be more than that.

Even if you got a decent roster, what's your plan to coach them? What sort of drills or changes from the current regime do you think will set your program apart and win? All the while, avoiding being on places like this, with people telling you that you suck at your job and that they can do better?

I'm legit wondering what approach you would take that would turn MU into a winner.

See Utah State this year. Every player that scored for them the previous year moved on, thus an entire new team and won the MWC regular season.
Many also fail to recall that during the past season Utah State also fairly easily dispatched of Danny's collection of so-called "talent" in one of those tournament games out in one of those islands off the Atlantic coast!!

You have a roster of guys on your radar to recruit, you should know others do too. With a mere $500K, you could enter a bidding war for one or two, where the competing school will outbid you, just to simply prevent you from getting that player.
You also can't just hope a player takes your offer, there's gotta be more than that.

Even if you got a decent roster, what's your plan to coach them? What sort of drills or changes from the current regime do you think will set your program apart and win? All the while, avoiding being on places like this, with people telling you that you suck at your job and that they can do better?

I'm legit wondering what approach you would take that would turn MU into a winner.
Let’s assume I bought 3 players at 400k that can play, 1 6’9-7’ guy for 100k that sucks but can shoot layups, and anyone else that will not shoot 25 3 pointers a game.

Drills are just conditioning, basically they run till I start sweating…

Changes from the current regime that would set them apart is coach them 1 play, that is all.

Then after my 3 studs take me to the big dance it no longer matters how good of a coach I am, straight cash homie!! . Just need 1 play 3 studs a 6’9-7’er and anyone else looking to dribble and pass it to 1 of the 3 studs….

And I still would have a 6 figure income!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT