ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Players Entering The Portal

You have a roster of guys on your radar to recruit, you should know others do too. With a mere $500K, you could enter a bidding war for one or two, where the competing school will outbid you, just to simply prevent you from getting that player.
You also can't just hope a player takes your offer, there's gotta be more than that.

Even if you got a decent roster, what's your plan to coach them? What sort of drills or changes from the current regime do you think will set your program apart and win? All the while, avoiding being on places like this, with people telling you that you suck at your job and that they can do better?

I'm legit wondering what approach you would take that would turn MU into a winner.
So under this belief system, no team that is bad has a chance to get better?

Here’s the real problem for anyone blaming anything but the person running the program - the WBB team. From perpetual suck age to regular season and tournament champs in one year. Not just champs, but 20-1 against conference teams and 22-2 in their last 24 games. What is the difference in competitive position and relative resources for both teams? What changed for the women between last season and this season?

Last edited:
Let’s assume I bought 3 players at 400k that can play, 1 6’9-7’ guy for 100k that sucks but can shoot layups, and anyone else that will not shoot 25 3 pointers a game.

Drills are just conditioning, basically they run till I start sweating…

Changes from the current regime that would set them apart is coach them 1 play, that is all.

Then after my 3 studs take me to the big dance it no longer matters how good of a coach I am, straight cash homie!! . Just need 1 play 3 studs a 6’9-7’er and anyone else looking to dribble and pass it to 1 of the 3 studs….

And I still would have a 6 figure income!

You might be the first HC to directly relinquish salary in exchange for paying his players.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
So under this belief system, no team that is bad has a chance to get better?

Here’s the real problem for anyone blaming anything but the person running the program - the WBB team. From perpetual suck age to regular season and tournament champs in one year. Not just champs, but 20-1 against conference teams and 22-2 in their last 24 games. What is the difference in competitive position and relative resources for both teams? What changed for the women between last season and this season?

Well, every year there is a Cinderella story, where a team out of seemingly nowhere, enters the NCAA tournament and either makes a big run or eliminates a heavy favorite.
Thing is, we don't hear much from them again, because to remain consistently competitive or even win, involves a little bit of a Perfect Storm; a smart HC, decent talent, getting streaky late.
Coach Caldwell has all of this, it seems, right now.
I won't/can't say much about the actual players on the team or how much of a change in terms of stats that has caused them to win versus previous seasons. It's great they're in and her previous coaching experience has given her an idea of how to win right off the bat. She's smart enough to know what strengths/weaknesses her players have and utilizes them accordingly.
The issue is retaining that sort of progress with MU's relative lack of resources, the competitiveness of the conference, and the temptation for more money and prestige at a different program...which isn't just for the HC as players can (and do) go elsewhere if the price is right.

In direct reply to 'So under this belief system, no team that is bad has a chance to get better?'

Well, if that weren't the case, nobody would have such pessimistic views of college sports, given the increasing gap between the "have's and have not's." Because it's easy to just find a HC who can accomplish what Coach Caldwell can, in a year, every year.

I am sure the big donors who love Dan have made it known they want him to return. If we were flush with money, I bet he would have been fired the day after the last game. jmho. Very similar to when the Gibsons hired Snyder.

The cycle continues...

Which is the whole purpose of scholarships.

You want to fix the problem? Stop paying coaching $10M+ with $65-95M buyouts.

Scholarships are not what's wrong with collegiate sports.

There's too much outside money influencing. It really started to degrade once ESPN bought all the bowls. They have far too much influence on the sport which is no longer a sport as it's curated programming.

The funny thing is those programs complained about not having enough money at times.

But you have to imagine how difficult it would be to tell a very wealthy, long time donor to your program, "no" when they not only want to pay the next HC several million to be hired, but will cover the buyout if needed.

I doubt any AD would ever want to put out THAT much money for someone (example Jimbo and Texas A&M), but then again, how much of it is actually the AD's money vs. some rich donor(s) who want to play football team owner?

Did Perkins get banned and have to change his username to Herdguy04?... Same lack of basic college sports knowledge, same condescending attitude, same "woe is us, little ole Marshall" mindset when one of our teams sucks.

All Im saying, has anyone seen Perkins and Herdguy04 at the same time?

Did Perkins get banned and have to change his username to Herdguy04?... Same lack of basic college sports knowledge, same condescending attitude, same "woe is us, little ole Marshall" mindset when one of our teams sucks.

I actually think its GHMY with a new handle.

You could give Dan a $1 million for NIL, but I doubt you would see much improvement for the team. Dan can't recruit and he can't coach. Look at his recruiting record. Greg White talked Dan into taking Elmore. Dan was looking at Cam Brooks-Harris when an assistant coach finally convinced him to sign Kinsey who was playing at the same time. Taylor was available due to a lot of problems. Micah only had offers from YSU; Presbyterian; American and Jacksonville. The rest of his recruiting history speaks for itself. A good player like Micah will leave Dan in a NY minute to play for a better coach.

Dan is not a good coach. I watch him play against Indiana and he was lost after halftime by the adjustments by the IU coach. Dan didn't have the sense to go a zone. That was when I realized he couldn't coach. Dan doesn't realize that college basketball has changed in the 60 years since he played. You hire a high school coach, you get a high school coach.

The Clowntoni fans love him and his family is holding Marshall hostage. A sad situation. We need a new coach.

You could give Dan a $1 million for NIL, but I doubt you would see much improvement for the team. Dan can't recruit and he can't coach. Look at his recruiting record. Greg White talked Dan into taking Elmore. Dan was looking at Cam Brooks-Harris when an assistant coach finally convinced him to sign Kinsey who was playing at the same time. Taylor was available due to a lot of problems. Micah only had offers from YSU; Presbyterian; American and Jacksonville. The rest of his recruiting history speaks for itself. A good player like Micah will leave Dan in a NY minute to play for a better coach.

Dan is not a good coach. I watch him play against Indiana and he was lost after halftime by the adjustments by the IU coach. Dan didn't have the sense to go a zone. That was when I realized he couldn't coach. Dan doesn't realize that college basketball has changed in the 60 years since he played. You hire a high school coach, you get a high school coach.

The Clowntoni fans love him and his family is holding Marshall hostage. A sad situation. We need a new coach.
Dan has to step down if he has any love for MU!

Well. The dumbest thing about your post is you somehow think Perkins ever treats MU in some "woe is me" negative way.
When in the hell has Perkins ever said anything bad about MU, ever?

Dude has somehow managed to describe the men's BB season as some good thing.
Perkins will never acknowledge Marshall sucks at anything.

Hindsight helps. At the time, Dan was seen as a revolutionary coach in that MU was completely changed in its approach using a European style.
Fans liked him because he was media friendly and I imagine the players liked him as well.

I remember when people were just happy MU "looked good and exciting" even though they lost.
I kept saying that isn't going to work and Dan isn't going to improve by, actually winning.

Dan just used the plan Mike devised when he applied for the job years ago. Mike submitted a written plan using to the then MU AD with the offense and he plan to recruit a lot of Europeans to play. Obviously, Clowntoni didn't have the ability to make the plan successful.

Dan just used the plan Mike devised when he applied for the job years ago. Mike submitted a written plan using to the then MU AD with the offense and he plan to recruit a lot of Europeans to play. Obviously, Clowntoni didn't have the ability to make the plan successful.
Everyone loved it the brief time it was working.
Wasn't that what got MU into the NCAA tournament?

Well he had his one shinning moment 6 or 7 years ago. It appears he caught lightening in a bottle once and he never made back to the post season. He is going to be 78 years old in a few months and you can't expect a person that age to be high energy coach. Like ole Dan, his dannites live in the past.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Great stuff

Players win
Coaches lose

Never the other way around

I swear the same folks making posts are great, and then seeing the same know it alls liking this posts - EPIC!!!

Great comedic relief on here.

Keep up the good work

• Sad
I honestly like Dan, with love for Marshall and the WV hype but when you can’t put together a basketball team that actually looks like a basketball team and having Zero in game adjustments, not hating on the kids because they are just playing pickup ball, it’s time someone pulls the plug and find anyone else looking to move up the ranks…

Gray white put together some talent but couldn’t get it done, Ron Jirsa again had some players but sucked, Donnie Jones was a pretty good coach and moved on, Mark Snyder sucked, Doc Holiday sucked, Tom Herrion was trying but wasn’t great, Coach Huff has an opportunity I hope he takes it, and then we have Dan Dan, Sucks… let’s move on..

Let's just look at the facts of Marshall MB. The team finished with a 10th place tie in low mid major league that is very weak. This season's record is 13-20 and The NET ranking is #245 out of 326 DI teams which means MU was in the bottom one third of all teams.

Opinion; this result is a combination of untalented players and a bad coach.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Well he had his one shinning moment 6 or 7 years ago. It appears he caught lightening in a bottle once and he never made back to the post season. He is going to be 78 years old in a few months and you can't expect a person that age to be high energy coach. Like ole Dan, his dannites live in the past.

Unfortunately, the past is also where college sports was a more even playing field.

Apparently Dan has given a walk-on, Pruett, a scholarship. Nothing against the young man, but Dan had better find some players that can elevate the team. What a mess.

Great stuff

Players win
Coaches lose

Never the other way around

I swear the same folks making posts are great, and then seeing the same know it alls liking this posts - EPIC!!!

Great comedic relief on here.

Keep up the good work
When a coach is around for many seasons and only wins a season or two with a specific group of players, but no other time, then yes, you can attribute the success to the players. Doc with Cato at QB is an example just like Dan with Elmore.

Conversely, you have Pruett who won every year. People thought yeah but he has Moss. Moss leaves, yeah he wins because he has Pennington. Pennington leave, yeah but he has Leftwich. He just won because he could coach and recruit.

That Elmore group won despite Dan and even they couldn’t overcome his deficiencies their senior year.

Yeah, + he screwed up & didn’t stay in contact with Peneva, lost him in the summer. He was a huge loss the next season.

Penava signed with a Eruoleague team...which is the style Dan had him playing in prior.
It's not a screw up for a head coach to get his player to the professional level.

Penava signed with a Eruoleague team...which is the style Dan had him playing in prior.
It's not a screw up for a head coach to get his player to the professional level.
Once again, you are wrong. Peneva (as I recall) hired an agent, which made it impossible to return for the next season. Not getting any interest from The League, he signed with a Euro team. He’s doing well over there…..
important point - Dan had nothing to do with it. Peneva came to Marshall with talent.

Once again, you are wrong. Peneva (as I recall) hired an agent, which made it impossible to return for the next season. Not getting any interest from The League, he signed with a Euro team. He’s doing well over there…..
important point - Dan had nothing to do with it. Peneva came to Marshall with talent.
Peneva was not good when he came to Marshall

Why do you think anyone hires an agent?
You don't think Dan, or the team, didn't try to keep him?
Can't make an athlete stay...and we all know he sure af wouldn't listen to you.

Just because you don't like what Dan is doing now, doesn't mean you have to be immature and negate what he actually did do.
Next thing we know, you'll be saying, "Well...Dan is lucky the refs didn't give MU a Technical Foul in the final seconds of the CUSA tournament final or else we would have lost."

Why do you think anyone hires an agent?
….He hired an agent because he thought he was good enough to get drafted, dumbass. By the time he realized he had overestimated his chances, he was ineligible to return to college. The Euro option was his only choice at that point.
Dan didn’t communicate with Aiden. He assumed he was coming back.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
….He hired an agent because he thought he was good enough to get drafted, dumbass. By the time he realized he had overestimated his chances, he was ineligible to return to college. The Euro option was his only choice at that point.
Dan didn’t communicate with Aiden. He assumed he was coming back.

So a head coach believes a player isn't ready to hire an agent, doesn't presume there to be a risk of he leaving.
Penava leaves because he listens to the wrong people.
Somehow that's Dan's fault?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT