ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball rumor

How would his NIL deal change
I can't give the specifics, but what I was told we offered him a month ago to stay was not was we eventually gave him. At that time he had an SEC school offering him a really good amount and our counter plus loyalty kept him here. Then we failed to follow through. Now it looks like that other team is back in the picture because we dropped the ball.

Bigger news... Taylor declared for the NBA draft? Does that mean the Nicaraguan Basketball Association?

He has as much chance of playing in the NBA as I do.

Reactions: Jartard
I can't give the specifics, but what I was told we offered him a month ago to stay was not was we eventually gave him. At that time he had an SEC school offering him a really good amount and our counter plus loyalty kept him here. Then we failed to follow through. Now it looks like that other team is back in the picture because we dropped the ball.
Man - that just doesn’t sound like the Brad Smith way…..

Who’s we?? NIL is supposed to be separate from the University and coaches

Who’s we?? NIL is supposed to be separate from the University and coaches
When the SEC school made an offer about a month ago we made a counter offer that Andy agreed to.

I don't know all the details surrounding the latest go around, but from what I have gathered what we pledged to him a month ago was eventually reduced.

Now it sounds like someone stepped up and made it right.

Also you know good and well the university is facilitating the NIL stuff to land recruits and retain players.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Man - that just doesn’t sound like the Brad Smith way…..
What is the "Brad Smith Way"? He's been here for less than a year. We don't know what his way is just yet. Also I would assume it's more of a staff decision than a school president decision.

I think we also need to let the tenure of Brad Smith play out before we make him some kind of Marshall Hero. He may be and he may not be. Time will write that story.

Reactions: The Real SamC
What is the "Brad Smith Way"? He's been here for less than a year. We don't know what his way is just yet. Also I would assume it's more of a staff decision than a school president decision.

I think we also need to let the tenure of Brad Smith play out before we make him some kind of Marshall Hero. He may be and he may not be. Time will write that story.
I’ll tell you what the Brad Smith way is. The Brad Smith way is that you don’t allow a promise made to one of our student athletes to be broken. Just like in business, which I think he knows a little about, you don’t promise an employee a raise then reduce it.
Brad Smith didn’t have to take this job on, but since he did I believe he is going to give it 110%
Of course time will tell, Bleeds! I’m willing to bet he will go down as the best we ever had.

I’ll tell you what the Brad Smith way is. The Brad Smith way is that you don’t allow a promise made to one of our student athletes to be broken. Just like in business, which I think he knows a little about, you don’t promise an employee a raise then reduce it.
Brad Smith didn’t have to take this job on, but since he did I believe he is going to give it 110%
Of course time will tell, Bleeds! I’m willing to bet he will go down as the best we ever had.
Amazing to me all the rumors and statements made above that have zero basis in fact. There was no bad faith promise, University employees did not get involved. This is where the NIL Trust is to be used and it was Used properly.

Guess the arrangement with Hillbilly Hot Dogs for free dogs and chili for "life" after "negotiations" was eventually finalized!!

Reactions: sluggo72
You have a great point there geezer.
Because of the "Hayes Rule", which is attributed to former MU President Robert Hayes.

"Most people, particularly those who have never been to any college, believe the quality of a college is proportional to quality of its football team."

This is true. Ask anybody at random what they think are the best schools in the country. After a few Ivies 99% will start listing Power 5 schools. Go over to Ohio and ask anybody what the best public college and 99% will say Ohio State, which isn't in the top 5 over there. Ask anybody in WV, and they will start with USPAM, which anyone with any knowledge of the subject knows is laughable.

Schools spend on sports for multiple reasons. But one of the main ones is to convince people with no actual relationship with the school that it is somehow "us" and that its academics must be good, because the sportsball is.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Because of the "Hayes Rule", which is attributed to former MU President Robert Hayes.

"Most people, particularly those who have never been to any college, believe the quality of a college is proportional to quality of its football team."

This is true. Ask anybody at random what they think are the best schools in the country. After a few Ivies 99% will start listing Power 5 schools. Go over to Ohio and ask anybody what the best public college and 99% will say Ohio State, which isn't in the top 5 over there. Ask anybody in WV, and they will start with USPAM, which anyone with any knowledge of the subject knows is laughable.

Schools spend on sports for multiple reasons. But one of the main ones is to convince people with no actual relationship with the school that it is somehow "us" and that its academics must be good, because the sportsball is.
Would this include the Ivy League , Vanderbilt or Georgia Tech?

Imagine if all the pledged NIL money was going to college academic programs.
Could you possibly be suggesting that D1 College Athletics actually return to "Amateurism"? Ummm, believe that Ship has sailed sometimes not long after the Titanic, and also Deep Sixed during the voyage!!!

Reactions: greengeezer
There are plenty of states, including this one, where, if not for college sports, more people would know where the state penitentiary is than know where the college(s) named for the state are.

Apparently - as of Friday?
The Sheriff rode out of town !!
Once his name re-enters the portal in the a.m. ,
he will be sold to the highest bidder!!!

He got us to up & re-up our offer (truck he wanted, monthly cash he wanted), so he can get even more starting Monday….

In other words, Taylor played us like a fine 🎻

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT