ADVERTISEMENT

Black End Zones in the Joan

Sam,

But black is an absolutely approved university color.

As, according to the website, which is about directions for printshops and such on how to make logos like the university seal, the Old Main logo and the like, are colors like sky blue, orange, grey, and brick red.

People went deep into a website to call those who can read and write "ignorant" and "wrong" and other childish name calling.

When all they had to do is look at the UNIVERSITY'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE, which states clearly and in plain English without any need to go further:

Marshall’s official colors are kelly green and white.

Yet, even having been show to be totally wrong, we have at least on poster who thinks yelling "NO" really loudly is an argument.

Nope.

Links to facts win.

Actually, within the link you provided, a simple little click takes you to the official colors for BRANDING, marketing and imaging and what have you.

As the sports teams are nothing more than extensions of the BRAND for Marshall, black is a school color.

Actually, within the link you provided, a simple little click takes you to the official colors for BRANDING, marketing and imaging and what have you.

As the sports teams are nothing more than extensions of the BRAND for Marshall, black is a school color.
Wrong.

Unless orange is too.

You look foolish.

Stop.

I provided you with a link to the OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE UNIVERSITY.

You look foolish.
The official website of the university says black is acceptable so who is the one that looks foolish. You just don’t know when to shut up and take the L do you
As, according to the website, which is about directions for printshops and such on how to make logos like the university seal, the Old Main logo and the like, are colors like sky blue, orange, grey, and brick red.

People went deep into a website to call those who can read and write "ignorant" and "wrong" and other childish name calling.

When all they had to do is look at the UNIVERSITY'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE, which states clearly and in plain English without any need to go further:

Yet, even having been show to be totally wrong, we have at least on poster who thinks yelling "NO" really loudly is an argument.

Nope.

Links to facts win.

went deep? It’s literally the Marshall branding guide you dipshit

Reactions: ru4_mu2 and WV_Celt
The official website of the university says black is acceptable so who is the one that looks foolish. You just don’t know when to shut up and take the L do you

went deep? It’s literally the Marshall branding guide you dipshit
Just drop it Sam.

From the Marshall.edu website:

Secondary Palette​

The colors in our secondary palette were chosen to complement our primary palette of green, black, and white.

They need to drop the black. It's ok for pin striping the letters but that's it.

When did black come into the picture early 2000's with the back background for The Herd. In that awful lettering.

70cedbc0-dd45-413f-9998-7c5cca309efd_234591_TABLET_LANDSCAPE_LARGE_16_9.jpg

Again maybe me, but never a fan of that font.

Reactions: MarshallManiac
They need to drop the black. It's ok for pin striping the letters but that's it.

When did black come into the picture early 2000's with the back background for The Herd. In that awful lettering.

70cedbc0-dd45-413f-9998-7c5cca309efd_234591_TABLET_LANDSCAPE_LARGE_16_9.jpg

Again maybe me, but never a fan of that font.
The font and precise shape of the M comes from 2001. If you’ll recall, football wore the 90’s version of that logo (no black stripe, just a green M) with the black outline beginning in 1993.

Did you read the domain name of the website provided?

It is www.marshall.edu.

The university's OFFICAL WEBSITE.

Where it is stated:

Google? No.

The university's official website?

Yep.

You don't know what you are talking about, and have been made to look foolish.

BTW, I explained why you were wrong. Care to give YOUR explanation of the presence of orange, sky blue, and such in the link you provided.

Or better yet, just STFU.

Goddamn Sam, you may want to take your complaints here:

The only way people will be happy is if our field is 100% green. Let’s just make it all green. Lines. Letters. Logos. Turf. Same shade. Lessgoooo.

who really cares if the end zones are black.

Then Goddamn Sam and the like will complain they can't see the players, and demand Spears be fired because of such an awful idea.

Then Goddamn Sam and the like will complain they can't see the players, and demand Spears be fired because of such an awful idea.
I know. No one can win. If it’s not this, it’s that. Wait til the first dropped ball in the end zone… im sure someone will blame it on the black turf. Yadda yadda.

The end zones could be purple, and I wouldn’t care. I just want Marshall players in the end zone with the ball more than the other team.
Since, according to the website cited by these morons, purple is an "official color" along with orange, sky blue and teal, yes it could.

Or you could just read a simple sentence from the university on the subject.

Since, according to the website cited by these morons, purple is an "official color" along with orange, sky blue and teal, yes it could.

Black is also a color so fvck off and take your fandom to New Mexico state

I normally can't agree with Sam on anything but it's a stretch to say that black is a school color. The style guide is literally just approved colors to use in print services online and in print. At this point I don't really care what color they make the endzones. I just want them to win more. It's certainly nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Reactions: 19MU88 and RhinoD
I normally can't agree with Sam on anything but it's a stretch to say that black is a school color. The style guide is literally just approved colors to use in print services online and in print. At this point I don't really care what color they make the endzones. I just want them to win more. It's certainly nothing to get bent out of shape over.
This thread is just another example of how averse to change some folks are... As long as the new turf is good quality and the players and coaches like it, I'm cool with it. I see it 3-4 times a year in person so its not worth getting fired up about.

This thread is just another example of how averse to change some folks are... As long as the new turf is good quality and the players and coaches like it, I'm cool with it. I see it 3-4 times a year in person so its not worth getting fired up about.
I agree. I think the black end zone is fine. I would have been happy with gray or kelly green as well.

that said, Sam is correct about the school colors.

Reactions: MarshallManiac

Shouldn't you be worrying about the Liberty/WKU matchup in the fall?

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Sam is of course correct that the official school colors are kelly green and white. However, the website he references has an internal reference to further branding guidelines with a link where more specificity is given. The specificity states that kelly green is to always be primary with black, gray, and white used to accent and support the kelly green. The orange and purple colors that Sam mentions are clearly delineated as in a different category than gray and black which are primary accent colors. Universities have many needs including various clubs and sub-organizations that will frequently need a secondary color palette to add to the primary palette. If the only question is the organizational branding, kelly green should be primary with white, gray, and black used only in a complimentary or accent sense. Whether a black endzone or black helmet qualifies as a compliment or accent to kelly green is a matter of interpretation. Sam certainly can make a compelling argument that this violates the guideline of having kelly green front and center with the other colors in the primary palette as complimentary only. There is also a compelling argument to be made that 100 yards of the field are green with white accents, so making 20 yards black with green/white accents does not cross the line of a complimentary color when taking the field into consideration as a whole.

Reactions: FreddyReef
I just wanted to see a contrast between the playing field and the end zone. I also am wondering how the toe tap can be seen by the officials if players are wearing black shoes. White or green may show well. I guess we’ll find out against Norfolk State. We should be in the zone a lot.

Awesome design! Kelly green would be way too much for the whole field and visually not good with mixed in I don’t believe..

I just wanted to see a contrast between the playing field and the end zone. I also am wondering how the toe tap can be seen by the officials if players are wearing black shoes. White or green may show well. I guess we’ll find out against Norfolk State. We should be in the zone a lot.
Contrast between black and white is pretty much as extreme as you can get..

if a replay shows no black shoe on the white outline then he’s in bounds.. pretty black and white if you ask me….. 🔎🤔

Reactions: Herdmaster
LOVE it! Who gives a sh^t if black isn't an official "color". It's an accent color to make the Kelly Green and white pop out. I think it does just that. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, don't we have more important things to worry about?

Reactions: Jartard
The final product should put to rest anyones issues with black end zones and school colors. That 75 is a great memorialization that should have been put down when the Joan opened. Wonderful touch and classy.
Just saw some pics of the black end zones on Facebook... They look great... The new turf also looks like its a shade or two "greener" than the previous edition, more the color of actual grass. The old turf had a more muted green tint and it also faded over time, so the difference in green is pretty noticeable.

Just saw some pics of the black end zones on Facebook... They look great... The new turf also looks like its a shade or two "greener" than the previous edition, more the color of actual grass. The old turf had a more muted green tint and it also faded over time, so the difference in green is pretty noticeable.
Won't know till it's seen in person.
Cameras nowadays have filters.
Not saying it doesn't look great, anything new looks great, but I'm sure first time we see it with a team on the field, no picture will do it justice.

Reactions: Jartard
I think the turf looks fantastic. The “75” is a great touch.

Now, can we get a company to power wash the decades of filth off the bleachers and seats? (In…before the rusty urinals debate)
The only thing I’d change would be to center the “75” in line with the 25 yard line.

Totally agree that the entire stadium needs pressure washed.

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT