ADVERTISEMENT

BOG announces five finalists for MU President

Better yet offer in-state tuition to Ohio, Pa, KY, western Virginia, DC, North Carolina, South Carolina—-places where a lot of Marshall folks settled and have kids that are almost college age
You hit on a great idea -Legacy Tuition rates. If either of your parents graduated here you get in-state tuition if you live out of state. If you live in-state you get a $500 a semester “Legacy Credit”.

sell if as the University’s way of helping members of the Marshall family. Build generational loyalty, maybe the parents that don’t need the price cut would donate the money they save.

Reactions: IslandHerd1
You hit on a great idea -Legacy Tuition rates. If either of your parents graduated here you get in-state tuition if you live out of state. If you live in-state you get a $500 a semester “Legacy Credit”.

sell if as the University’s way of helping members of the Marshall family. Build generational loyalty, maybe the parents that don’t need the price cut would donate the money they save.

you two do realize that we (and most other universities) at best break even (but most likely lose money) on in-state students, right?

Reactions: The Real SamC
The blunt fact is that the J O B of Marshall University is to educate West Virginians. Particularly southern West Virginians, a place where the public schools are mediocre at best and in many cases grossly inadequate. And, in doing so, provide the state with the professionals it needs to form a civil society (or to provide those who wish to leave with the skills to do so). A job that WVU turned its back on, decades ago, and to which, with a few exceptions in a few fields, the state colleges are simply not up to.

That is an important job. Possibly the most important job of any state agency in the state.

WVU has a unique business plan. Bordering on states that have a tiered system of higher education (meaning you have to be smart to go to the big school with the sports and all of that) and states that give more aid to the students and less direct funding to the school (a product of the Catholic populations) WVU figured out that with its de facto open admissions, ultra low out-of-state tuition, massive state over-funding, and a big-time atmosphere, it could fill its seats with people thin-enveloped from their home state schools. Since the faculty is 95% not Appalachian, this had the added advantage of allowing them to associate with the people they want to teach. WVU has contempt for the very people who love it so much, which is the irony of the whole thing.

This has no application to anything Marshall is, or should want to be.

WVSU (sic) also has a unique business plan. 95% white, it is still run by the 5% and plays the race card every time it is threatened. Generations ago, the smart thing for a black person in the South to do was GTFO of the South. In WV’s case, mostly to DC. Fine. But those people, now 3 or 4 generations removed, continue to fill State’s seats by sending people who have NEVER lived here “home” to go to school. That is “legacy tuition”. WV, however, being one of the white-est states, fills the rest of the seats with Charleston kids that won’t leave mommy and daddy. All you really need to know is that State takes in about 5 freshmen for every 1 person it graduates. That is a dysfunctional and pointless institution. Educating middle class and upper middle class black DC swamp creatures and poor white Charleston kids, leaving 4 out of 5 with no degree and lots of debt.

Thank God Marshall is not like that.

The rest of the state colleges mostly churn out people who you hardly would know went to college, so little is the social and academic impact of their limited and unchallenging course work.

Which brings us to MU. Love it, but the reality is that giving out-of-state students in-state rates, absent the “them theys is usens” non-alumni loyality to WVU or the racial ridiculousness of State, is a recipe for economic failure. The other reality is that, with a few exceptions like HELP and forensic science, there is no reason for some dorm kid in some other state to attend MU over a very similar school in his or her own state.

No, the future for Marshal is pretty simple. Do its J O B . Continue to do the heavy lifting of lifting the youth of a poor and ignorant state out of poverty and ignorance.

As to growth, the key to growth, as I have said, lies in shuttering of state colleges; and in making sure that WV high schoolers understand that a Marshall diploma is worth about 100 times more than one from a state college, and the majority out-of-state students and faculty at WVU will laugh at you.

Go Herd.

you two do realize that we (and most other universities) at best break even (but most likely lose money) on in-state students, right?
The incremental cost to add one more student to a class is essentially zero. Marshall has the administrative, faculty and physical plant in place where an additional 1,000-1,500 students would require minimal capital investment and little in the way of additional operating expense.

The current issue is that we have underutilized assets and are leaving easy money on the table.

Better yet offer in-state tuition to Ohio, Pa, KY, western Virginia, DC, North Carolina, South Carolina—-places where a lot of Marshall folks settled and have kids that are almost college age
That's a terrible idea.
Your first and foremost focus should be the in-state students and have a percentage of out of state.
I do agree for some close counties not in WV but OH, KY, and even VA. Not entire states.

Why does the world need Duke football the lowest quality program in the nation perhaps? Cause they wanted it and it was good for them.

Marshall needs a law school, a good one at that, and they need to get kids in the know about highly profitable areas of law less commonly discussed, like real estate law where you can make a fortune without selling your soul as a defense attorney or gimmicky civil suit attorney
Well,

First off, real estate and WV don't mix. You need a reason for people to stay in WV before you can sell real estate.
The same with growth and infrastructure, which when combined with WV, are oxymoronic.

Plenty of MU grads go to wvu law and still help MU. It's evidenced by MU being able to have many of the programs the last 15 years that, in absolutely no way, they couldn't have had before.
MU actually does have a decent (could be better) presence in the capitol.

As Duke said, MU needs to focus on its current programs and make them really, really good.

Growing the student population would require the area to grow itself, it needs an economic driver to do this.
The state continues to slow that down and the walking Bob Evans isn't helping the situation...nor are any of the current leaders below the gold dome.

Well,

First off, real estate and WV don't mix. You need a reason for people to stay in WV before you can sell real estate.
The same with growth and infrastructure, which when combined with WV, are oxymoronic.

Plenty of MU grads go to wvu law and still help MU. It's evidenced by MU being able to have many of the programs the last 15 years that, in absolutely no way, they couldn't have had before.
MU actually does have a decent (could be better) presence in the capitol.

As Duke said, MU needs to focus on its current programs and make them really, really good.

Growing the student population would require the area to grow itself, it needs an economic driver to do this.
The state continues to slow that down and the walking Bob Evans isn't helping the situation...nor are any of the current leaders below the gold dome.
This issue is, Marshall isn't going to get help from Charleston, more than it already does. This is reflected in lower state monies coming in. If Marshall wants to grow, it must do so from within and with the help of prominent alumni. Agree, focus on the programs we are strong in and make them better. More research leads to more research dollars. Going to an R2 university is a great step up for us.
This is why I think Brad Smith would be a home run hire. Well connected, a driver and someone who doesn't take half ass as a way to get things done.
We just can't expect any help from the state, and if we do by chance get some; that's gravy.

Essay question.

You are a traditional age student with enough money to go away to college. You have no interest in forensic science, nor need of the HELP program (nor any other unique to MU program). You do not live in West Virginia, nor nearby Ohio or Kentucky. You decide to attend Marshall University rather than (here insert the name of any public university in said student’s home state) because …

(I do not think there is an answer to that question)

Essay question.

You are a traditional age student with enough money to go away to college. You have no interest in forensic science, nor need of the HELP program (nor any other unique to MU program). You do not live in West Virginia, nor nearby Ohio or Kentucky. You decide to attend Marshall University rather than (here insert the name of any public university in said student’s home state) because …

My parents both attended.
Have family that live in said area.
I love green and white.
I watched We Are Marshall
I watched You Got Mossed

Essay question.

...............because you saw the movie!!!

This issue is, Marshall isn't going to get help from Charleston, more than it already does. This is reflected in lower state monies coming in. If Marshall wants to grow, it must do so from within and with the help of prominent alumni. Agree, focus on the programs we are strong in and make them better. More research leads to more research dollars. Going to an R2 university is a great step up for us.
This is why I think Brad Smith would be a home run hire. Well connected, a driver and someone who doesn't take half ass as a way to get things done.
We just can't expect any help from the state, and if we do by chance get some; that's gravy.
The help MU has gotten, is lught years ahead of what they had gotten in the past.
Moving forward, we'll see if it continues to help MU or not.

Reactions: greengeezer
Essay question.

Let me give you a few thoughts from personal experience.

I grew up in southern Ohio. When it came time to go to college, I went to Morehead State. What reason would I have to go there? I could have gotten an apartment and gone to Marshall, or lived at home and went there. The difference was I got instate tuition to go to Morehead, so a boat load of kids from southern OH went there. Not just from this area, but a bunch from the Cincinnati area. It was cheaper for me to pay room and tuition there instead of just tuition at Marshall.

Morehead has more than doubled enrollment since those days. Marshall has been the same size forever.

next, I still live in southern OH and my daughter is finishing her second degree from Ohio University. Just wrote my 14th tuition check them a few months ago and have one more left. She would have preferred to go to Marshall, but they offer some attractive deals for high achieving students. The metro rate offered by Marshall was more than $2,000 more per semester than OU.

Unless you are looking for something very specific, there’s not a lot of difference in quality among OU, Marshall, or Morehead (or even Shawnee State for that matter). If you have 4 Ford dealerships all selling F-150s in your town, how do you decide where to buy? It comes down to price and service. So get competitive on price in your market and improve your customer experience.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The help MU has gotten, is lught years ahead of what they had gotten in the past.
Moving forward, we'll see if it continues to help MU or not.
That may be correct but I wouldn't count on an increase in state funding coming in at all. Like I said, if that happens, it's gravy.

Morehead has more than doubled enrollment since those days. Marshall has been the same size forever.

20 years ago morehead had 6159 full time undergrads. this year they have 5299 full time undergrads. it's dying. they've been laying off employees and offering buyouts for several years now.

Reactions: The Real SamC
20 years ago morehead had 6159 full time undergrads. this year they have 5299 full time undergrads. it's dying. they've been laying off employees and offering buyouts for several years now.
And they have offset in other areas. In 2002 the total student headcount was 9,390. This year it’s 9,654. When I was there in the mid 80s it was 4,500 and a third of the dorms were shuttered.

Reactions: herdit44
Marshall's endowment is roughly $134 million, which when I was there, barely cracked $100 million.
That has nothing to do with state funding. Not sure how liquid that is if we would need it in a pinch. Glad that it's growing - hopefully they've invested well.

I listened to Smith's speech/ Q&A today. He would be my choice. Higher education is at a major crossroads and he at least has a "plan on how to plan."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I wasn’t impressed with what I heard from Hannigan. She seems a better fit as a Provost at this point. Jmo

If you live in Ironton or Ashland your kids get ZERO mail from Marshall.
They get overloaded with mail from Wvu OU Morehead and lots of mail
from Universitys in Tenn
Now, tell me again how Marshall is interested in local kids.

As for who will Marshall hire?….follow the money is your answer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT