ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Women’s Basketball Coach

This is the only way I see us losing Grassie, but not to another school. I know some folks who know Grassie, and he won't leave us for another school. The man and his family are in love with Marshall and the Huntington community.

As to the MLS stuff, Charlotte FC's President and CEO when they were being stood up was Nick Kelly, a Marshall grad and friend of Grassie. Kelly gave a speech to the team when we were playing in the College Cup. This is no insider knowledge, but I have always wondered if Kelly offered Grassie any positions. At the time Kelly was trying to put together Charlotte's first coaching staff.
His wife works at Marshall as well. The latest edition of the State Journal reported his earnings for 2023 at 426K. They aren't hurting and love Huntington very much, as do their kids.

Reactions: Jbabbington
Look, here is what we do know about Kim:
Born & raised in WV
Loves WV
Loves representing West Virginians
Has called Marshall her dream job
Seems to enjoy living in Huntington
Husband employed by MU
Uses big fish in a little pond theory in recruiting players

I believe MU will increase her salary/bonuses after this season is over. She’s probably going to want increases for her staff as well.
I don’t see her leaving anytime soon.
Great post.

Okay. How does MU plan to keep her? They're going to have to bump the salary up, especially if she does well in the NCAA tournament and I imagine it would have to be a respectable one.
But, women's basketball didn't make a profit, was poorly attended, and historically hasn't been successful thus, a likelihood of a weak alumni chain.

Are you hoping she's like Grassie and "just likes it here"? Kim is young and as Sam said, she has a more room elsewhere to expand her footprint.

How does MU do it?
Poorly attended? Did you go to any of the games? This team broke the home attendance record for the women. I went to their games and they were not poorly attended.

Poorly attended? Did you go to any of the games? This team broke the home attendance record for the women. I went to their games and they were not poorly attended.
The games were well attended, especially toward the end of the season. Heck, the gals my outdraw the men next season. I hope they do. They play a great style and fun to watch.

The games were well attended, especially toward the end of the season. Heck, the gals my outdraw the men next season. I hope they do. They play a great style and fun to watch.
In addition it looked like a different crowd than what goes to the men. Seemed a little more vocal, but that could also do with the performance of each team.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
In addition it looked like a different crowd than what goes to the men. Seemed a little more vocal, but that could also do with the performance of each team.
Agree. Younger and lots of kids running around.

What Grassie did with MU could be done elsewhere if he were the head coach. Wherever "elsewhere" is, will have more than enough money and facilities to lure him. Money talks.
The culture of soccer is very different than other NCAA sports, mostly because of the European aspects of it, which value hometowns and athletes tend to base their decisions on loyalty.

Grassie could also certainly move up in the MLS ranks if he wanted. You can't tell me his credentials wouldn't give him opportunity if he really sought it out.
Grassie makes more than many MLS coaches.

Reactions: 19MU88
When women have a historically bad program, breaking an attendance record isn't something to brag about in this context.
It took the whole length of most of the season for them to gain attendance. As well as a (very deserved) media push to inform people this team is actually winning.

When women have a historically bad program, breaking an attendance record isn't something to brag about in this context.
It took the whole length of most of the season for them to gain attendance. As well as a (very deserved) media push to inform people this team is actually winning.
What’s your point?

What’s your point?

In short, don't repeat what happened with DD...because we are literally seeing the first parts of it happening.
MU and coach Caldwell (if she is even here) need to build off of the success in any way they can.
If not. You'll have the women's version of the men's basketball situation...just sitting on what happened like several years ago and "gosh darn his analytics story" BS.

Kim won't be here long. That's the reality in today's environment.
Who knows. She may be here 2-3 years, then again she may be here 6-7 years. Her second year will be tough, having to replace Beemon and Campbell, plus league teams will know a little bit more about the scheme. That said, if she can replace those 2 and add a big or two, we can roll again. She doesn't seem to be the kind to chase the money quickly.

Having Kim's husband employed here might be a deciding factor for her in leaving for more pay, if she were offered job at another school. If Dan is dismissed, then her husband will lose his job and make her more mobile. Hope she stays for several years; she is a top talent for sure.

Having Kim's husband employed here might be a deciding factor for her in leaving for more pay, if she were offered job at another school. If Dan is dismissed, then her husband will lose his job and make her more mobile. Hope she stays for several years; she is a top talent for sure.
True. I would think hubs would be picked up by an incoming staff per Brad and Christian, possibly added to her staff, or assigned to another position within the AD, like Sutherland was/is.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT