Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
April 27, 2015

By JACK BOGACZYK
HERDZONE.COM COLUMNIST

HUNTINGTON, W.Va.
-- It was the overarching question -- and most-anticipated decision -- of Marshall spring football.

Who's the Thundering Herd's new No. 1 quarterback?

Anyone who was paying attention the last two weeks of spring practice realized who likely was at the top of the pecking order. It just took some confirmation from the top.

"Michael Birdsong is our No. 1 quarterback," Herd Coach Doc Holliday said Monday. "Now, it's up to him to keep the job through the summer conditioning and August camp, but he's shown us he can do what we want and what we need."

Birdsong, a junior transfer from James Madison, stepped up to run with the "ones" in spring drills. The 6-foot-5, 242-pounder from Matoaca, Va., is following the latest Herd QB legend. Rakeem Cato was a four-year starter who threw for a Marshall career records of 14,079 yards and 131 touchdowns...

Birdsong Exits Spring As Herd's No. 1

I guess this has turned out exactly the way several thought would. Congrats to Birdsong for being named the #1 for now. Hope he continues to get better in the offseason and develops.
One thing he has over Cato is his size, which I've seen him play intramural basketball, the guy is a very good athlete for his size...it should be fun to watch him this season.
Go Herd!

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Just a couple of observations...

1. I think most of us assumed Birdsong would be the guy going into the fall and I think the coaches are taking the right approach.

2. Based on the couple of instances I saw the team this spring, our offensive line needs some major tuning no matter who is behind center. But I have confidence in Mirabal to get them together.

3. I think the offense this year will flip from passing to set up the run, to running in order to set up the pass. More power football on early downs to stay ahead of the chains. We will need Rock, Remy and Pittman to all make the most of their carries and stay as fresh as possible.

4. I know we love the IPF, but I think some of our fall practices this year should be out on the field in the rain. Football isnt played in 70 degrees and sunny all the time as evidence by the spring game. Players need to be used to the elements to hopefully reduce drops/bad snaps.

New to the forum hello everyone!

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the QB's this year, how elusive is Birdsong? If the line needs tuned as you say I'm interested in how much extra time Birdsong can buy with his legs.

Ive only seen him in action once and that was at the Greenbrier Scrimmage. He didn't have to move around much then but he did pull it down and run a couple times. I don't know how mobile in the pocket he is but he can run it if he needs to.

Reactions: GoHerdGo
I would hope that if we have concerns about our offensive line we will also cater our offense to support that fact. Real play action passes and shorter routes in conjunction with the mobility of the QB. If time in the pocket is a problem the deep balls of the past 2 years will turn out badly with some strip-sacks.

Just a couple of observations...

1. I think most of us assumed Birdsong would be the guy going into the fall and I think the coaches are taking the right approach.

2. Based on the couple of instances I saw the team this spring, our offensive line needs some major tuning no matter who is behind center. But I have confidence in Mirabal to get them together.

3. I think the offense this year will flip from passing to set up the run, to running in order to set up the pass. More power football on early downs to stay ahead of the chains. We will need Rock, Remy and Pittman to all make the most of their carries and stay as fresh as possible.

4. I know we love the IPF, but I think some of our fall practices this year should be out on the field in the rain. Football isnt played in 70 degrees and sunny all the time as evidence by the spring game. Players need to be used to the elements to hopefully reduce drops/bad snaps.

Doc mentioned your last part in his interview after the spring game the other day. He was talking about how it's great to have the indoor but they wasn't holding onto the ball well when they were out in the elements. He also said once they get into the season and they have to play the games in the weather they still need to practice outside when the weather is bad every now and then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT