ADVERTISEMENT

Boom!!

Nice, but I’d rather see a picture of the whole team with the caption “Sun Belt Champion.”
Nice…….nice?? Geezer, you’ve been around longer than most of us, so maybe you can tell us the last time the Herd had the P.O.Y. , 2 All conference 1st teamers +, + F.O.Y. ? Oh, right -
NEVER.
Enjoy the ride, my dude. Lots of good news to start ‘ship week!

Reactions: Elkview
Oh, your question about POY. Guess we would have to go back to 1989 and 1990. John Taft won it twice. Skip Henderson won it in 1988.

Last edited:
No, my ? was if the Herd ever placed 2 on the 1st team, snagged POY & snagged FOY….doubtful that has happened…
Yeah, those individual awards are GREAT! But I believe that the majority of HERD FANS would prefer TEAM AWARDS, particularly CHAMPIONSHIPS!! We have one in Danny's tenure to date. Some fans on boards like this even go so far as to "pooh-pooh" the regular season title, which is absolutely asinine. Titles mean A LOT, even the regular season ones, especially if your HEAD COACH is capable and saavy enough to use them in recruiting, promoting the program, etc. Those same fans need to read current write-ups about VCU winning the regular season TITLE in the A-10 by defeating St. Louis at home Wednesday night. How jacked up their sold-out crowd was in Richmond; how fired up the RAM players were celebrating on the floor at game's end, holding the league trophy, passing it around among teammates, etc. Yes, the A-10, an established, quality and respected basketball conference, as compared to the SBC at least, gives out a trophy for winning the regular season championship, which certainly is a better and more accurate indicator of just how well a team performed overall in a long, four-month long season.

Remember, it wasn't that long ago the mantra of MU sports, and its fan base, was "WE PLAY FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS"!! Times sure have change in Huntington, apparently. Guess we're now supposed to get all excited and giddy because our team "ball boy" was named the League's best!!

Yeah, those individual awards are GREAT! But I believe that the majority of HERD FANS would prefer TEAM AWARDS, particularly CHAMPIONSHIPS!! We have one in Danny's tenure to date. Some fans on boards like this even go so far as to "pooh-pooh" the regular season title, which is absolutely asinine. Titles mean A LOT, even the regular season ones, especially if your HEAD COACH is capable and saavy enough to use them in recruiting, promoting the program, etc. Those same fans need to read current write-ups about VCU winning the regular season TITLE in the A-10 by defeating St. Louis at home Wednesday night. How jacked up their sold-out crowd was in Richmond; how fired up the RAM players were celebrating on the floor at game's end, holding the league trophy, passing it around among teammates, etc. Yes, the A-10, an established, quality and respected basketball conference, as compared to the SBC at least, gives out a trophy for winning the regular season championship, which certainly is a better and more accurate indicator of just how well a team performed overall in a long, four-month long season.

Remember, it wasn't that long ago the mantra of MU sports, and its fan base, was "WE PLAY FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS"!! Times sure have change in Huntington, apparently. Guess we're now supposed to get all excited and giddy because our team "ball boy" was named the League's best!!
Sadly. It has.

If a league doesn’t play a round robin schedule then the “regular season” title doesn’t carry a lot of weight. Too much variance of schedule strength.

Danny has always preached that the tourney is the only thing that matters. We'll see if he has them prepared. Hope we blow through our first opponent and get the starters some rest.
Winning the conference tournament was the rationale behind the OoC schedule. It's all or nothing. Not winning the conference tournament is a failure. Period.

We made the schedule to "prepare" us for March, we have the SBC POY, SBC FOY, 2 SBC 1st Teamers, and an NBA Draft pick in our starting 5. There is no better time than now.

Danny has always preached that the tourney is the only thing that matters. We'll see if he has them prepared. Hope we blow through our first opponent and get the starters some rest.
I'm pretty sure I've heard you say it way more than DD so "preached" might be a stretch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT