ADVERTISEMENT

Bring on the Herd!

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Halloween is here! And, in year’s past, a time to put our football sorrows away and dream of round ball triumphs to come. The UPike ex resulted in a 101-70 victory. The newbies contributed, with Kevon netting 20 and Nate Martin scoring 10 while grabbing 9 boards. Cam K led all scorers with 24. Herd shot 60(!)% on 3’s in the second half, as the guys in white tallied 70 points in 20 minutes of action.
Might as well get excited about something!

Reactions: horsrman
I appreciate your enthusiasm. I really do. And, yes it is time to put football away for the year.

This is a 1.6K NAIA school. It is exhibition. We are supposed to win. As should we on Wednesday when we play 850 student D2 Lees-McRae. It is nice, but it is practice. I miss the old days (NCAA had to abolish it because it was one the myriad ways Duke, et al, cheated) when exhibitions were against either recent college graduate players (we often played the UK based Ashland Oil team) or against foreign teams.

Anyway, nice. Fine. But we have, finally, a fairly ambitious non-conference schedule.

Conference picked us mid-pack. That is about right.

And that is sad.

Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this years team, but I will reserve judgement until we are 5 or so games in. Because Sam's right we learned nothing by the exhibition against Pikeville, nor will we against Lees McRae.

The first five real games are not a cakewalk...

Queens -- Tossup
Radford -- Win
Utah State -- Tossup
Kentucky -- Loss
Miami Ohio -- Tossup

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It's late October/early November.

You can always count on two things occurring. The leaves will fall off the trees, and the faithful fanboys will get excited about the latest version of the 304 boys/hillbilly ball.

A couple exhibition/practice wins, coupled with a hot 3-1 start over teams 85% of the country have never heard of, will force the fanboys into making unrealistic season predictions, with some making plans to attend a March Madness regional game.

This whole thing is a gimmick, a sport that 100% of their conference mates play because the NCAA mandates that they make the token effort.

If nothing else, maybe follow the girls team. On paper, they at least appear to be making an effort on putting out a product and hiring a young, up & coming coach. The men's program hired a high school coach who will turn 80 in a few years.

As long as Dan is the coach there a better than 50% chance the season ends empty. Unless you're a Dannite that loves you some 5th tier pay-for-play tournaments where you fight to establish yourself as the 100th best team.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Is Lees-McRae still a junior college? Why not schedule WV State, Rio Grande or Shawnee? At least they may bring some fans and likely be a better test.

No, they have been Div 2 for quite a some time. Banner Elk is a beautiful place, a little isolated for my taste. If you like Christmas tree farms it’s your area. There is a really nice small craft airport that sits right along 194 as you come into town.

No, they have been Div 2 for quite a some time. Banner Elk is a beautiful place, a little isolated for my taste. If you like Christmas tree farms it’s your area. There is a really nice small craft airport that sits right along 194 as you come into town.
I love to go spend a weekend in Banner Elk every fall... Wouldn't want to live there due to how isolated it is, but man what a beautiful area. I will be coming through there on my way to and from App this weekend.

Lees McRae also has a bit of a Marshall connection... Troy Brown played two years at Lees McRae before transferring to Marshall, which he chose over Western Carolina.

As for questions about some of our preseason opponents in these "exhibition" games, I note that the NCAA apparently allows play BETWEEN D1 teams in preseason play. WVU just played D1 George Mason in a preseason "Charity" game up in Morganhole!! The EERS had previously done this during Huggins' tenure also.

Imagine one key is to schedule a "nearby" opponent, so their travel costs are minimized. Then I assume a school needs to find an opponent willing to travel and play the game for minimum $$$$$, meaning maybe funds covering their costs, and little else, given that the game is for a "charity". Believe WVU does/did it for the Children's Hospital up in that City.

Why couldn't MU do a similar charity event, playing a real, "legit" opponent? Contact EKU, Morehead, ETSU, VMI, etc., to see if they would be willing to play such a game. Of course, we know Coach D, would be leery of facing a foe who might just be capable of defeating MU! Specifically, such legitimate, nearby teams, e.g., Morehead, and EKU, whom, for some "strange" reason(s), we no longer play annually!!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
As for questions about some of our preseason opponents in these "exhibition" games, I note that the NCAA apparently allows play BETWEEN D1 teams in preseason play. WVU just played D1 George Mason in a preseason "Charity" game up in Morganhole!! The EERS had previously done this during Huggins' tenure also.

Imagine one key is to schedule a "nearby" opponent, so their travel costs are minimized. Then I assume a school needs to find an opponent willing to travel and play the game for minimum $$$$$, meaning maybe funds covering their costs, and little else, given that the game is for a "charity". Believe WVU does/did it for the Children's Hospital up in that City.

Why couldn't MU do a similar charity event, playing a real, "legit" opponent? Contact EKU, Morehead, ETSU, VMI, etc., to see if they would be willing to play such a game. Of course, we know Coach D, would be leery of facing a foe who might just be capable of defeating MU! Specifically, such legitimate, nearby teams, e.g., Morehead, and EKU, whom, for some "strange" reason(s), we no longer play annually!!
EKU is a damn good team and their HC played for us. Would be a great charity game, even though I think we would lose to them this year.

Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this years team, but I will reserve judgement until we are 5 or so games in. Because Sam's right we learned nothing by the exhibition against Pikeville, nor will we against Lees McRae.

The first five real games are not a cakewalk...

Queens -- Tossup
Radford -- Win
Utah State -- Tossup
Kentucky -- Loss
Miami Ohio -- Tossup

The fact that we are what... 9 years into the D'Antoni era and the game against QUEENS is a toss up, means something has gone very wrong. They were picked to finish 10th in the ASUN. Hopefully we roll them, but Dan should have been gone 3 or 4 years ago and all I can say is as Marshall fans we get what we deserve.

The fact that we are what... 9 years into the D'Antoni era and the game against QUEENS is a toss up, means something has gone very wrong. They were picked to finish 10th in the ASUN. Hopefully we roll them, but Dan should have been gone 3 or 4 years ago and all I can say is as Marshall fans we get what we deserve.
reds - stop fiddling with your Time Machine. We don’t open reg season play vs Queens for another 4 days! But thanks for playing…

reds - stop fiddling with your Time Machine. We don’t open reg season play vs Queens for another 4 days! But thanks for playing…
Reading is tough. I was pointing to the fact that Queens (who we lost to last year) is considered a toss up by our fans. I also said I hope we roll them (speaking of the game in the future).

Also we’ve looked underwhelming so far in the preseason.

Thanks for playing.

Reading is tough. I was pointing to the fact that Queens (who we lost to last year) is considered a toss up by our fans. I also said I hope we roll them (speaking of the game in the future).

Also we’ve looked underwhelming so far in the preseason.

Thanks for playing.
Please explain your statement that we’ve looked underwhelming? Scored over 100 both times, won by 30 & 18…..

We were down 18 in the first half and trailed by 9 at halftime to…. UPike.

And we were only up 2 at the half on… Lees-McRae, which I honest to God did not know was an institution of higher learning until today.

There is no way you look at those and think we were anything but underwhelming.

We were down 18 in the first half and trailed by 9 at halftime to…. UPike.

And we were only up 2 at the half on… Lees-McRae, which I honest to God did not know was an institution of higher learning until today.

There is no way you look at those and think we were anything but underwhelming.
And what final scores would have impressed you? 142-15?

Reactions: Herd1972
The final score isn’t as important as how we looked. And it wasn’t impressive. Those are not teams that should have us on the ropes at any point.
I guess we’ll see….. I’m just sensing a different vibe from Coach Dan. Like he knows he has a good team. And that the second 5 is a whole lot better than in years past. Time will tell, but could be a great season ahead. Now pulling the IV of green koolaid out of my arm!

Last edited:
Just a point of order. This is Dan's 10th season.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
. I’m just sensing a different vibe from Coach Dan. Like he knows he has a good team.
DD's act has been the same since Day One.

- Talk a good game.
- Toss in some central Appalachian rural aphorisms.
- Smile.
- Talk about how we are building for March, everything is about March.
- Throw in some coachspeak about Xs and Os.
- Tell everyone to get on that bandwagon, because there won't be room on it pretty soon.

It is what it is. DD is a nice guy. He TALKS a good game, and, unlike Huff he has neither thrown his players under the bus nor does he have his profile up on linkedin looking for the next gig. He would probably be a nice neighbor to have. Probably would mow your lawn if you mower was broken. Probably would ask you how your Mom was doing.

But he is a .500 coach, in two near the bottom conferences. But once, from 4th place, he had an 8 day run. It is, to me, impossible to determine what he is thinking about the team, because he says the same stuff all the time. Win or lose. October or March. Queens College or The University of Kentucky. Rah, rah, rah.

He will be here as long as he wants to be.

Reactions: RhinoD
DD's act has been the same since Day One.

- Talk a good game.
- Toss in some central Appalachian rural aphorisms.
- Smile.
- Talk about how we are building for March, everything is about March.
- Throw in some coachspeak about Xs and Os.
- Tell everyone to get on that bandwagon, because there won't be room on it pretty soon.

It is what it is. DD is a nice guy. He TALKS a good game, and, unlike Huff he has neither thrown his players under the bus nor does he have his profile up on linkedin looking for the next gig. He would probably be a nice neighbor to have. Probably would mow your lawn if you mower was broken. Probably would ask you how your Mom was doing.

But he is a .500 coach, in two near the bottom conferences. But once, from 4th place, he had an 8 day run. It is, to me, impossible to determine what he is thinking about the team, because he says the same stuff all the time. Win or lose. October or March. Queens College or The University of Kentucky. Rah, rah, rah.

He will be here as long as he wants to be.
Hoping your wrong this sport!!
Go Herd!

GOOOOO HERD!!!! Beat Queens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cause if you don't, THIS and other Friggin Fan Boards are gonna TOTALLY IMPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good win to start the campaign. Won by 16, 5 in 2x figures, allowed Queens back in it but then pulled away late.
Unlike football, it looks like the 3 portal players are going to make a huge impact!
And the frosh Nutter looks to have potential.
On to the Greenbrier!

First game of the season and got a "revenge" win against Queens... Some good and bad, but overall definitely positive.

Good
- Got off to a fast start
- Played a lot of guys and nobody looked overmatched
- Curfman was the leader that we are going to need him to be

Bad
- OAK has to stay on the floor. Taking him out for long stretches (rest, foul trouble, whatever) is bad news
- Perimeter defense was an ongoing issue
- We still take a ton of quick/bad shots

Radford should be a solid test on a neutral floor... They lost to UNC last night by 16, but it was a 5 point game at halftime.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. They look like they're more willing to defend than past DD teams, although they're not very good at it (yet?). All of the new guys showed up and played well, filling in some gaps. Again, I'm hopeful this group will do well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT