ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Butler

Well he is done. HD said it was 2 gay guys he beat up. Will probably be considered a hate crime. If it had been a fight he probably would be ok but beating up 2 gay men was not smart. Hate crime will get you expelled probably.

If you punch two guys in the face only to find out later they were gay, does that make it a hate crime?
Calm down and let's not jump to conclusions.

Reactions: NoPuntIntended
You can guarantee that they are going to try and come after him like it's a hate crime.. He will be accused of doing it because of their sexual orientation.. whether that was the case or not that will be the case that is made against him.

HD story said he saw the two men kissing, exited a vehicle, called them names and punched them. Not very smart. Good gawd can these kids not know this stupid stuff can end their careers? UGH!

Reactions: rugger47
If you punch two guys in the face only to find out later they were gay, does that make it a hate crime?
Calm down and let's not jump to conclusions.

No, but stopping your car to beat up two dudes because their kissing offends you is a hate crime. He needs to be gone immediately if true.

He needs to go. That they were gay is not even relevant. DL from WVU needs to go to. You won't hear me having a double standard.

WV hate crime laws do not include crimes based on sexual orientation or gender identity. So he can not be "technically" charged with a hate crime on the state level. That does not mean the couple's sexual orientation wasn't the basis of the assault, though. All the evidence presented to this point appears to suggest the couple's sexual orientation was the basis of the crime.

We've only heard one side of the story so far so I urge caution, but, if the story is true as it's being presented in the media today, the football program and the university do not need to be associated with this player. It is uncivilized and totally reprehensible behavior.

Even if the two men were not gay, I'm not sure I could support/cheer for a person that would jump out of a car and just punch some random person anyway.

I certainly hope the allegations, as they have been presented today, are not true. I saw Butler at the Greenbrier scrimmage last month and he finally looked primed to have a breakout season. But, if they are, I hope justice is served for the victims.

Last edited:
Regardless of your thoughts on the gay community, do you really want to deal with LBGQT protesters at the games this fall if he's kept on the team?

In this country, a person is innocent until proven guilty. At this point all we have are allegations made be people of unknown verasity. The legal system (the state legal system) will run its course and all lovers of democracy will ACCEPT its judgement and all lovers of democracy will STFU until said judgement is rendered.

WV has no so-called "hate crime" law. Assault is assault, whatever your motivation. The chances of, literally, making a federal case out of a simple assult are really quite slim.

In time we will find out what actually happened.

In this country, a person is innocent until proven guilty. At this point all we have are allegations made be people of unknown verasity. The legal system (the state legal system) will run its course and all lovers of democracy will ACCEPT its judgement and all lovers of democracy will STFU until said judgement is rendered.

WV has no so-called "hate crime" law. Assault is assault, whatever your motivation. The chances of, literally, making a federal case out of a simple assult are really quite slim.

In time we will find out what actually happened.

WSAZ reports that somebody in the football program has already seen the video. They certainly have the right to kick Butler off the team before he goes through the legal system.

Regardless of your thoughts on the gay community, do you really want to deal with LBGQT protesters at the games this fall if he's kept on the team?
That is precisely how "they" (any vocal minority) want you to think.

To be clear. Unprovoked violence against any people should not be tolerated. A person's sexual orientation does not make it better or worse.

Have them fill out their protest request, and set up their area under the bridge in guyandotte.

Thats a good way of getting a lawsuit against the city and university, as well as a DoJ investigation over 1st amendment rights issues.

That is only true in a court of law, NOT PUBLIC OPINION. So you can stfu

i for one would like to hear all of the facts first before i decide on this one. lots of moving parts. :eek:

People should remember that college athletes aren't legally considered employees (yet) - Butler's scholarship has to be renewed by the school every year. If he is given the boot, he has no legal recourse against Marshall. It would be in Marshall's best interests to be proactive in this case, as there is going to be a deluge of negative publicity against the school, Huntington, West Virginia, and each and every one of us with a degree from there as a result of Butler's actions.

The inanity of this is appalling - we are really going to subject ourselves to this so we can give "due process" to a backup running back with one year of eligibility left, who has spent half his career at Marshall on the bench or suspended for a variety of reasons apparently bad enough for the coaching staff not to disclose them.

Whether you like it or not.. This is a PR nightmare and regardless of his guilt or lack there of in the court system Butler is probably going to have to be gone for the school to be able to save face publicly.. Again, it's not about agreeing with that, and it's not that I agree with it but it is often how it is and you can bet that the people PR department at the Marshall's head's are already starting to spin thinking about this situation.

All I am saying is the IF the story is true, he needs to be gone (whether the guys were gay or not). That said it's also not fair to jump to conclusions until all the facts come out.

If the kid hadn't been arrested multiple times before coming here, I could see this as "jumping to conclusions." If he hadn't spent half his time here in trouble with the coaching staff, I could see this as "jumping to conclusions." Does anybody really think this is going end with us finding out Butler had been framed?

Really?

They have video one of the victims videoed with this phone. He is toast. Sperry said it was filled derogatory things towards them. I don't condone the beating and all that but you are in WV and if you are 2 males kissing in public it's gonna cause problems. You can expect it at some point. Most of the US is not accepting of that publically.

Even if it were not completely Butlers fault he would be let go because of the backlash it would cause with the gay community. The negative press would be too much. He is done as a player for the Herd. Too bad because he was talented.

I don't condone the beating and all that but you are in WV and if you are 2 males kissing in public it's gonna cause problems. You can expect it at some point. Most of the US is not accepting of that publically.

Uhm I would say it sounds like you do condone that, like it was their fault that they were attacked, like they deserved it for not hiding their sexual orientation. And when you say most of the country, are you talking about land mass or population? Because I'm pretty sure the majority of the country (including West Virginians) lives in a state where gay marriage is legal.

And to correct some of the above posters - you're right, sexual orientation is not included on the state's books as a protected class, but in Huntington it is. Its what the state legislature was trying to peel back (unsuccessfully) in this last session.

Uhm I would say it sounds like you do condone that, like it was their fault that they were attacked, like they deserved it for not hiding their sexual orientation. And when you say most of the country, are you talking about land mass or population? Because I'm pretty sure the majority of the country (including West Virginians) lives in a state where gay marriage is legal.

And to correct some of the above posters - you're right, sexual orientation is not included on the state's books as a protected class, but in Huntington it is. Its what the state legislature was trying to peel back (unsuccessfully) in this last session.

Thunders gonna Thunder. AMIRITE?

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan

Thanks for pointing that out. That is a pretty important distinction.

They have video one of the victims videoed with this phone. He is toast. Sperry said it was filled derogatory things towards them. I don't condone the beating and all that but you are in WV and if you are 2 males kissing in public it's gonna cause problems. You can expect it at some point. Most of the US is not accepting of that publically.

59% of the US supports gay marriage. I'd wager that even a large chunk of the 41% who don't are at least over two dudes kissing on the street.

Reactions: BamaBlazer
All I am saying is the if the story is true, he needs to be gone (whether the guys were gay or not). That said it's also not fair to jump to conclusions until all the facts come out.

Fixed it for you. That "if" was way too big for this situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT