ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING C-USA Releases Tentative Football TV Schedule

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
FOX Sports, CBS Sports Network Announce Conference USA Football Television Selections
First eight Thundering Herd television appearances released

IRVING, Texas --
Eight of Marshall Football's television appearances were announced Monday afternoon by the Conference USA office, following FOX Sports and CBS Sports Network completing their round of selections for the 2015 football season.

CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) will air Marshall's Oct. 9 matchup with Southern Miss at 7 p.m.The Herd will have seven dates that will air on a FOX Sports network.

The first game will be Sept. 6 versus Purdue at 3 p.m. on FOX Sports 1, followed by the entire back half of the Thundering Herd's regular season schedule...

HerdZone.com link

Pretty good coverage by FOX, and CBSCS. The best 8 are on national TV. Thank God we aren't at the mercy of ASN and their chicken wire streaming networks again this year! I'll say it again, with this coverage and no mid week games, especially empty stadium MAC Tuesday night games, I'd argue that the move away from ESPN was a good one for Marshall and CUSA fiscally and coverage wise.

Pretty good coverage by FOX, and CBSCS. The best 8 are on national TV. Thank God we aren't at the mercy of ASN and their chicken wire streaming networks again this year! I'll say it again, with this coverage and no mid week games, especially empty stadium MAC Tuesday night games, I'd argue that the move away from ESPN was a good one for Marshall and CUSA fiscally and coverage wise.

Optics wise, for sure, but I wonder what the money situation is. I'd almost have to assume that the money makes it worth the terrible optics.

Mostly agree, but many of the "Fox TBAs" are going to end up on a regional FSN channel, that's not really national tv. Hopefully they pick up a few more on FS1 from those.

Actually FOX was/is a winner in dollars paid out too. It was significantly more than ESPN along with better coverage and times than what ESPN would have asked for. Dan Shoe says FOX is still "learning" college football. I'd agree with that assessment. Just watch ESPN Game Day and some of the pre game shows FOX has tried to do since their college football inception, one can see ESPN clearly is way ahead. However last year in terms of announcers, big games offered (PAC12 Conf is FOX too), quality of content and announers, I think FOX made a jump. If they could put a decent Game Day show together like ESPNs it really would help the perception of their move into college football's foray. There's too many really good knowledgeable announcers and commentators out there for them NOT to be able to do this. If I'm FOX I go get Brando and build my game day around his content.

Still I've been very happy with their treatment and coverage of CUSA.

the online ASN feeds last year were better visual quality than several of our "TV" games over the last few years...

Remember the two @ MAC games' TV rights belong to the MAC and will be released whenever the MAC releases its schedule. Expect at least Ohio to be on TV, maybe both.

Expect ASN to pick up the ODU game, as Sinclair (the owner of WCHS/WVAH and the Herd's third tier rights and of ASN) owns a station in the Tidewater as well.

And I do not think many, or any, of the Fox Group games will go down to the Fox Sports Net level if we have the kind of year I think we will. Even so, it is not like that is a hard set of channels to pick up.

Fox Sports Net channels are actually extremely easy to get and widely distributed.

I agree.

Actually FOX was/is a winner in dollars paid out too. It was significantly more than ESPN along with better coverage and times than what ESPN would have asked for. Dan Shoe says FOX is still "learning" college football. I'd agree with that assessment. Just watch ESPN Game Day and some of the pre game shows FOX has tried to do since their college football inception, one can see ESPN clearly is way ahead. However last year in terms of announcers, big games offered (PAC12 Conf is FOX too), quality of content and announers, I think FOX made a jump. If they could put a decent Game Day show together like ESPNs it really would help the perception of their move into college football's foray. There's too many really good knowledgeable announcers and commentators out there for them NOT to be able to do this. If I'm FOX I go get Brando and build my game day around his content.

Still I've been very happy with their treatment and coverage of CUSA.

I think Fox has made a quantum leap in its College Football coverage. They do an excellent job on Fox Sports1 and most of the FSN games are quite well done and have studio support. The laggard for Fox are the FCS games. Fox College Sports or the "Fox Digi-Nets" are still hard to find, poorly distributed in many areas, Digital tier in others and often SD only. But all in all, I think they do an excellent job. CBS-SN coverage (game production) is also excellent, just a much smaller distribution and look for ASN to add first and ten line to much of its coverage this year.

I think Fox has made a quantum leap in its College Football coverage. They do an excellent job on Fox Sports1 and most of the FSN games are quite well done and have studio support. The laggard for Fox are the FCS games. Fox College Sports or the "Fox Digi-Nets" are still hard to find, poorly distributed in many areas, Digital tier in others and often SD only. But all in all, I think they do an excellent job. CBS-SN coverage (game production) is also excellent, just a much smaller distribution and look for ASN to add first and ten line to much of its coverage this year.

I agree dshoe, I think the games on FS1 and most on FSN are great. I really enjoyed having coverages on those networks. Fox College Sports aggravates me because there is no HD at least for me on Directv there isn't any. I thought ASN did a fine job in their first year. The first and 10 line missing was an issue but getting to watch the game was better than nothing. I thought their Web stream was great as well when I watched it. I ran it across my TV with no issues just ESPN3 and it was almost like watching regular coverage.

I agree dshoe, I think the games on FS1 and most on FSN are great. I really enjoyed having coverages on those networks. Fox College Sports aggravates me because there is no HD at least for me on Directv there isn't any. I thought ASN did a fine job in their first year. The first and 10 line missing was an issue but getting to watch the game was better than nothing. I thought their Web stream was great as well when I watched it. I ran it across my TV with no issues just ESPN3 and it was almost like watching regular coverage.
I agree, ASN did a great job for a startup.... will be interesting to see what they can grow into.

ASN did football okay, but when they post their men's basketball games as stream able and then don't follow through on what their sked says it looks bad and quite frankly really pissed me off. I went out bought a chromecast just to throw marshall games up on the plasma and then they never did what their sked stated.

My take ASN needs to get its act together. They have real potential and are a most interesting format with OTA and streaming distribution combo, but 2 things need to happen.

1. Get your OTA stations to put your content on. (ASNs Atlanta affiliate would broadcast jeopardy reruns instead of a top 25 marshall team!?!?)
2. If your going to post youll be streaming the Marshall v La Tech men's hoops game, then stream it!!!!! Some people really are expecting you to do what you say.

Okay, I'm done w my rant! Lol. Obviously Dan they need help, go print up some vista business cards and put consultant on them and make a call on ASN!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT