ADVERTISEMENT

Cabins

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
My realtor knows that I am looking for a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Most things that pop up are in the middle of a desert on flat land with no trees near Joshua Tree National Park, but this one that just hit the market today is different.

About three hours from Yosemite, three hours from Orange County, and only about 20 part-time neighbors within a five mile radius. Put a hot tub and outdoor television on the porch, do some light changes on the inside, and I think we may have another property to add to the portfolio. 2.5 acres is enough for me to be able to piss off of the porch like you hillbillies, and the price is magnificent:

And more rustic but on 26 acres with views to kill:

Last edited:
Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Last I knew, the unabomber's cabin was still for sell just outside of Lincoln, Montana. Located just a few hundred yards into the woods, making it a short walk to the quaint town. If I can recall, it was a one bedroom cabin, with awesome front porch views of the local foliage.

Contact your local FBI office for additional details on this one of a kind property.

If it were me, I would look in the Blue Ridge, GA area, or even outside of Boise, Idaho. Black Mountain, NC as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: herdfan06
That looks nice. Great find.

Would the drive out there bother you (ie that far away)?

Or I guess this would be a STR?

I've been passively looking for something like that my family could use but also do a little STR with it. It doesn't need to be cash flow positive because if we used it as a family I wouldn't consider it a full "investment" if we really enjoy it. I'm so busy with work that I can't do as much due diligence as I'd like...and I'd also probably have to use a property manager which cuts back some revenue too.

So many tax benefits to STR but the airbnb volume/prices/rental occupancy seem to be coming down quickly across the country but there are still some hot spots.

...I'd think pulling that carpet and putting in some fake hardwoods, put a hot tub on that porch, and maybe a little fire pit area by the creek would be all relatively easy things that would increase appeal in a STR.

Hot tube water chemistry/maintenance may be tricky though somewhere so remote.

...I'd think pulling that carpet and putting in some fake hardwoods, put a hot tub on that porch, and maybe a little fire pit area by the creek would be all relatively easy things that would increase appeal in a STR.

Hot tube water chemistry/maintenance may be tricky though somewhere so remote.
Yeah, but it would still be missing something. Perhaps a separate shed with a makeshift home gym?

I think the first one would be a better STR, but I guess more risk of losing privacy if more stuff starting coming up in the area since it's "only" 2 acres.

I think the first one would be a better STR, but I guess more risk of losing privacy if more stuff starting coming up in the area since it's "only" 2 acres.

The first one, it's hot as hell, you would not be able to generate electricity from panels to cool that place down.

Second, you are buying land more than the cabin itself. Buy the land, go somewhere like Sierra Log Homes and have them get you the supplies, plan, and labor.

SLH fairly economical.

The first one, it's hot as hell, you would not be able to generate electricity from panels to cool that place down.

Second, you are buying land more than the cabin itself. Buy the land, go somewhere like Sierra Log Homes and have them get you the supplies, plan, and labor.

SLH fairly economical.
screw log homes, they're a maintenance nightmare.

SLH fairly economical.

Gotcha. Yeah I don't know anything about that part of the country. But it had an HVAC unit I saw...are you saying the electric bill would be insane to cool it off?

Gotcha. Yeah I don't know anything about that part of the country. But it had an HVAC unit I saw...are you saying the electric bill would be insane to cool it off?

Personally, don't know that area, Weldon. But he mentioned Joshua Tree; anywhere in the Mohave. Is going to be insanely hot.

Looking again, Central Valley is fairly hot. Ev. is only 2.4k. Not sure what type of grid they have there.

Whats your negative experience? Where is it located?

The only negative I hear is when it is in a very humid environment.
my negative experience is that i've lived in one for going on 20 years. huge pain in my ass. had to have the entire structure sandblasted and restained around 4 years ago because the water based stain i originally put on it back in 2004 had given up and it had been discontinued not many years after i originally stained it, thus the reason for waiting so long to have it redone. i went with sikkens this time and it needs a clear coat reapplied every 3 to 4 years. next year is the year as i had two coats put on it, one coat per year the first two years. cost is around $6 grand total to have it applied between stain and labor. stain is $475 per 5 gallon and it takes roughly 3 of them. add likely another 2 buckets for the garage on the left as it's getting log siding to match.

bore bees. bastards will eat a log home to pieces. i have spots, mainly facia that have had to be replaced because they swiss cheesed the heck out of it. overhangs where roof logs come through are a haven for bats. bees (wasps/honey) absolutely love it.

z1ofpLyoKs9r.jpg

Reactions: ohio herd
Personally, don't know that area, Weldon. But he mentioned Joshua Tree; anywhere in the Mohave. Is going to be insanely hot.

Looking again, Central Valley is fairly hot. Ev. is only 2.4k. Not sure what type of grid they have there.
I lived in the Mohave area in Fort Mohave , Arizona for four years. Summertime not unusual to hit 125 degrees.

That looks nice. Great find.

Would the drive out there bother you (ie that far away)?

Or I guess this would be a STR?
It’s about a 3.5 hour drive, which isn’t bad for a weekend getaway. I don’t plan on using it as a rental.

I’m just worried that I’ll never use it. I’m only in California about half of the month, and when I’m there, I usually want to stay at my house. So that place will probably sit empty except for one weekend a month.

SLH fairly economical.
Why would it be hot with A/C? It has electricity and is a small place to cool.

The second one is a nine hour drive. Not happening.

He must have married the midget on game of thrones. I don't think I've ever made love to a midget, but I once laid a short fat woman down Tech. Took two hours, since I had to walk to the dollar store to buy a bag of flour.
At least you did not need to purchase a rubber because you were not able to get beyond her inner thighs.

My realtor knows that I am looking for a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Most things that pop up are in the middle of a desert on flat land with no trees near Joshua Tree National Park, but this one that just hit the market today is different.

About three hours from Yosemite, three hours from Orange County, and only about 20 part-time neighbors within a five mile radius. Put a hot tub and outdoor television on the porch, do some light changes on the inside, and I think we may have another property to add to the portfolio. 2.5 acres is enough for me to be able to piss off of the porch like you hillbillies, and the price is magnificent:

And more rustic but on 26 acres with views to kill:

Still a braggart. You haven't changed much. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT