Southern Utah
Charleston Southern
Presbyterian
FIU
Hampton
St. Francis

(I’m updating as I find others)

I bet someone will come up
with a player from Quinnipiac that resembles the Real Silent Sam......

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

When will the bracket be released?

20 team tournament - 4 teams get a bye through to the round of 16.

There is no bracket, they just make new matchups with every round, and the number of teams is just how many ever wish to pay to play. This year 26. They give byes at different rounds to make it work out to an not-really-elite eight at the end.

Monday
Quinnipiac @ New Jersey Tech
Tuesday
Cornell @ Robert Morris
Texas Southern @ New Orleans
Indiana Purdue Indianapolis @ Marshall
Wednesday
Grambling @ Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Presbyterian @ Seattle
Wisconsin-Green Bay @ East Tennessee State
Thursday
Florida Atlantic @ Charleston Southern
Saint Francis NY @ Hampton
Cal. State Bakersfield @ Cal. State Fullerton
Kent State @ Louisiana Monroe
Friday
Drake @ Southern Utah
Saturday
Florida International @ Texas State

Some early round games are on watchcit.com, including our titanic strugle.

Second "rounds" are the 28-31, Semis are the 2nd or 3rd (websites differ) Finals are the 4th or 5th. CBSSN.

Winner gets a "We are #117" tee shirt.

There is no bracket, they just make new matchups with every round, and the number of teams is just how many ever wish to pay to play. This year 26. They give byes at different rounds to make it work out to an not-really-elite eight at the end.

Monday
Quinnipiac @ New Jersey Tech
Tuesday
Cornell @ Robert Morris
Texas Southern @ New Orleans
Indiana Purdue Indianapolis @ Marshall
Wednesday
Grambling @ Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Presbyterian @ Seattle
Wisconsin-Green Bay @ East Tennessee State
Thursday
Florida Atlantic @ Charleston Southern
Saint Francis NY @ Hampton
Cal. State Bakersfield @ Cal. State Fullerton
Kent State @ Louisiana Monroe
Friday
Drake @ Southern Utah
Saturday
Florida International @ Texas State

Some early round games are on watchcit.com, including our titanic strugle.

Second "rounds" are the 28-31, Semis are the 2nd or 3rd (websites differ) Finals are the 4th or 5th. CBSSN.

Winner gets a "We are #117" tee shirt.

Sam - your info is always solid. Appreciate you putting this up!
WS

Reactions: kdbherdon
If we win Tuesday, we would play again in the quarterfinal next Tuesday. Then the semi's the following Tuesday April 2 and the final on Thursday April 4

As one of the 4 seeds, we would not have to play a 2nd round game but move straight into the quarterfinals.
That information is straight from the basketball staff.

Reactions: Always The Herd
This certainly is a convoluted setup. As I understand it, 26 teams play head-to-head, which eliminates 13 teams, leaving 13 teams. 3 of those teams then receive a bye in the next round and proceed to the qtrs. The other 10 play to eliminate 5 more teams. 5 surviving teams plus 3 byes play in the qtrs. Who knows how they pick the byes (or do they put that out for bid?). This tournament could last until Easter. No matter, just show up and watch Jon make history. Go Herd!

This certainly is a convoluted setup. As I understand it, 26 teams play head-to-head, which eliminates 13 teams, leaving 13 teams. 3 of those teams then receive a bye in the next round and proceed to the qtrs. The other 10 play to eliminate 5 more teams. 5 surviving teams plus 3 byes play in the qtrs. Who knows how they pick the byes (or do they put that out for bid?). This tournament could last until Easter. No matter, just show up and watch Jon make history. Go Herd!
See my post above. Finals are Thursday April 4

Reactions: Always The Herd
My info came from CIT website. Mathematically you can't have 4 byes when 13 teams are left after the first round. Final on April 4 I'll agree.

You are correct. 26 yields 13, then 3 byes so 10 yields 5, 5+3 = 8. 4, 2.

Who gets the byes seems to be a secret. Looking at previous years, they were not the best teams and seemed to be used to keep the travel reasonable more than anything else.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Just a wild "guess", but I imagine that a real healthy turnout at the CAM tomorrow together with a big "W", would go a long, long way ensuring the Herd another home game in the next round or the quarterfinals, whichever it may be.:)

You are correct. 26 yields 13, then 3 byes so 10 yields 5, 5+3 = 8. 4, 2.

Who gets the byes seems to be a secret. Looking at previous years, they were not the best teams and seemed to be used to keep the travel reasonable more than anything else.

Sam,
I asked this in another thread....
Also: who did Skip pass to become the current holder of the record for points scored by a men’s basketball player? How far into his senior season did he become #1??
Thanks....
Would you be able to get the answers? I have struck out trying to Google it.....

Sam,
Also: who did Skip pass to become the current holder of the record for points scored by a men’s basketball player? How far into his senior season did he become #1??
Thanks....
Would you be able to get the answers? I have struck out trying to Google it.....

I’m not going to research it but wouid think it was Leo Byrd or Russ Lee.

Last edited:
& R. Lee only played 3 seasons, correct?
Leo Byrd career total 1705 (3 seasons

Yes three varsity seasons. You can probably eliminate Leo. I would say he played under 70 varsity games as seasons were shorter and Marshall didn’t play in a conference tournament in the 50’s.

And Lee & Byrd didn't have "the three". That should tell you how much better they were than Jon Elmore. But we have to make sure we don't hurt anyone's feelings so we can get him a trophy….lol

Reactions: sistersville
And Lee & Byrd didn't have "the three". That should tell you how much better they were than Jon Elmore. But we have to make sure we don't hurt anyone's feelings so we can get him a trophy….lol
I don’t think it’s that simple ATH. Every era has advantages / disadvantages. Very difficult to compare. For instance, Byrd had an amazing 3 seasons, yet finished at 1705. He would have to have scored 800+ points in the 4th year to be close.
The most amazing feat in my opinion is what Moss did in 2 seasons. Wow.
I do take exception to your last comment. No one can say Jon hasn’t worked his ass off to be in the position he is in. And to also have the assists AT record? Only 2500/750 man in college basketball history - who thinks that one will be shattered in the next 30-40 years? Not me....

Sam,
Thanks....
Walt Walowac held the record with 1,982 (played 1950-54) Lee was next with 1,815

Walt Walowac held the record with 1,982 (played 1950-54) Lee was next with 1,815
So Skip basically slaughtered the record! I mean, he bested it by 700+ points. And then Taft right behind him, in the same 8 year time period. No wonder it’s not been broken before now....
Thanks rvntx....Texas based?

Hope the Herd can win this thing. Not a strong field. Guys and trannies I know without a doubt that John Taft was a better all around player than Skip Henderson. Played against them both.
The overall field isn't strong but there are a couple of programs that can bring it, specifically ETSU and Drake. If we face any of those two, gonna be tough.

Just a wild "guess", but I imagine that a real healthy turnout at the CAM tomorrow together with a big "W", would go a long, long way ensuring the Herd another home game in the next round or the quarterfinals, whichever it may be.:)
As the #1 seed, we are guaranteed homes games all the way through the tournament. We would NOT go on the road for any game.
A win would get another home game next Tuesday and then Tues April 2 for the semi and finals on Thursday April 4

I don’t think it’s that simple ATH. Every era has advantages / disadvantages. Very difficult to compare. For instance, Byrd had an amazing 3 seasons, yet finished at 1705. He would have to have scored 800+ points in the 4th year to be close.
The most amazing feat in my opinion is what Moss did in 2 seasons. Wow.
I do take exception to your last comment. No one can say Jon hasn’t worked his ass off to be in the position he is in. And to also have the assists AT record? Only 2500/750 man in college basketball history - who thinks that one will be shattered in the next 30-40 years? Not me....
I don't think you are being realistic in your views.....possibly if the 3-point shot had been in place at the time of Byrd or Lee, etc. their record would be very hard to break....at least IMO.

So Skip basically slaughtered the record! I mean, he bested it by 700+ points. And then Taft right behind him, in the same 8 year time period. No wonder it’s not been broken before now....
Thanks rvntx....Texas based?
Grand Prairie. Also have Motel and Rv Park at Lake Fork, Moving there after I "retire".....

I agree. BUT, on 2 days notice, not too shabby. Now the AD has a week to promote the next game. I would hope we could get 5k for the quarter finals....
Agree, if we can get fans to come see the FU's play, we should be able to and maybe get some profit from all this. 3 schools stand out to me as roadblocks, ETSU, DRAKE, KENT. I am sure I am missing some and we struggled last night, by far not a gimme tourney unless we somehow avoid all of the decent schools.

Poor attendance for a pay for play game, guess we may have broke even. 3k and change......lowest all year maybe?
Actually with 3700 tix sold Marshall most likely made some money.

Nobody expected 5-6k. Remember many season tix are sold to businesses and there would be no way they would renew all of them for a tournament.
Considering the quick turn around I thought it was very good. Also I noticed that since these were all people that actually bought their tickets we had REAL fans there. It was VERY loud for the crowd size.
Danny mentioned that the refs at the game commented about how great the crowd was. It was definitely a boots to the team last night.

Reactions: herdinatl
Agree, if we can get fans to come see the FU's play, we should be able to and maybe get some profit from all this. 3 schools stand out to me as roadblocks, ETSU, DRAKE, KENT. I am sure I am missing some and we struggled last night, by far not a gimme tourney unless we somehow avoid all of the decent schools.
I wouldn't overlook NJIT. With 22 wins in a decent A-Sun conference they won't be a pushover.
They had an 8+3 road record with wins over Duquesne by 11 and Fairleigh Dickson by 10 who won an NCAA game last night.

I wouldn't overlook NJIT. With 22 wins in a decent A-Sun conference they won't be a pushover.
They had an 8+3 road record with wins over Duquesne by 11 and Fairleigh Dickson by 10 who won an NCAA game last night.
True, Liberty was kicked out of the big south and got into the ASUN, ruled it in it's first year. Only reason NJIT is not in the NCAA, is because of Liberty.

I don't think you are being realistic in your views.....possibly if the 3-point shot had been in place at the time of Byrd or Lee, etc. their record would be very hard to break....at least IMO.
I doubt the 3 pt. shot would have helped Lee. As I remember he was more of a banger inside. Randy Noll and Mike D. Were the outside shooters.

I doubt the 3 pt. shot would have helped Lee. As I remember he was more of a banger inside. Randy Noll and Mike D. Were the outside shooters.

Russ played the 5 at 6’4 1/2” and was most effective from about 18 ft and in. Ty Collins was the best sniper at the two along with MD and Bill Mac James. Noll was a skilled offensive player and in todays game would be a 2/3 combo guard even though he was around 6’8”.
Lee was a classic tweener as his skills were best suited to the interior but his size translated to the backcourt in the NBA. Just a great college player whose game didn’t fit the pro game.

I agree. BUT, on 2 days notice, not too shabby. Now the AD has a week to promote the next game. I would hope we could get 5k for the quarter finals....
LOL...and I get an email on Tuesday morning from MU stating game prices, time, etc.....could this not have been done on Monday (or maybe even Sunday night after the known matchup)? Why "does it seem" we are always "a day late & a dollar short"?

Also, HM, the Utah Valley team in the CIT has won something like 24 games or so. Some of the tourney teams who are complete "unknowns" in WV could be pretty solid, e.g., Seattle, the California hyphenated teams, etc.

LOL...and I get an email on Tuesday morning from MU stating game prices, time, etc.....could this not have been done on Monday (or maybe even Sunday night after the known matchup)? Why "does it seem" we are always "a day late & a dollar short"?

It’s true - for many years the AD has been known as the gang that couldn’t shoot straight!
Again, I couldn’t be more proud of Mike Hamrick. Best AD we’ve had in my short lifetime. They will get the word out for next week...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT