ADVERTISEMENT

Cs Get Degrees

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Yesterday, Marshall reminded everybody that their academic standards are very low. They unveiled a program that will automatically grant admission to any Cabell County high school graduate with a 2.5 GPA, no application or fee needed.

West Virginia already has one of the worst K-12 educations in the country. Kids with a C average in a subpar, watered down educational system have already been able to glide by without much effort. Now, Marshall doesn’t just want to automatically accept them but also allow them to show even less effort by not having to complete an application?

Whatever it takes to increase enrollment numbers, eh, Bradley?

Just Tax the state to keep them funded for the next forever years so they can funnel the money to important issue like, payroll, buildings, street signs, bicycles and not basketball recruiting…..

It's not a good cycle to be stuck in right now in WV (and its not just WV, but that's where we are discussing).

High school kids perform poorly ---> State waters down public education system so it doesn't look as bad ---> Universities lower requirements to attend ---> High school kids thus have no incentive to work hard ---> High school kids perform poorly

A couple month ago when I was on campus I went and had coffee with a former professor of mine and I asked him about the state of the university... And I quote... "Enrollment is up, which is good news of course. But the students are less capable and less prepared than ever before."

It's not a good cycle to be stuck in right now in WV (and its not just WV, but that's where we are discussing).

High school kids perform poorly ---> State waters down public education system so it doesn't look as bad ---> Universities lower requirements to attend ---> High school kids thus have no incentive to work hard ---> High school kids perform poorly

A couple month ago when I was on campus I went and had coffee with a former professor of mine and I asked him about the state of the university... And I quote... "Enrollment is up, which is good news of course. But the students are less capable and less prepared than ever before."
As a spouse of a recently retired teacher of 35 years, I can say that todays kids have the least amount of support from the home/family than they ever have. Many parents in WV don't place value on an education and simply use schools as a baby sitting service. Heck, many of my wifes students were smarter than their parents, or so it seemed when she spoke to them; IF they ever showed up at school for meetings , functions or parent-teacher conference. She's had parents call her from Jail, from drug rehab, etc. WV has the highest number of kids being raised by their grandparents. We are in the top 3 of kids in foster care. 49% of able bodied adults work, 51 % suck off the government and it becomes a generational cycle.
Yeah, the system is broken and its way too top heavy at the board offices and in Charleston. There are bad teachers for sure, but the issues start at home. jmho

Last edited:
I agree 100% TwolfHerdfan. My wife and I were both Elementary teachers and some of these kids are fortunate to make it to school in the morning. I know of two kids being raised by their great grandparents. 80% of colleges are doing away with ACT/SAT requirements to enter college. I really think this is a good thing that Brad Smith is doing to not only help these kids but also to boost enrollment. I know when I took the ACT in 1978 Marshall took you no matter what you scored on the test. And no, I am not going to tell you what I scored. :)

Marshall is perfect. College for the most part is a waste of money. So if you are floating along with a 2.5 in high school don't go waste it somewhere else. Good idea on Marshall's part. it is all a scam anyway, so be less scammed. Get in and get the piece of paper and get out.

Marshall has never claimed to be the Ivy League, thank God and look at the cesspool.

I went to Marshall and popped out with a beautiful 2.68 GPA. My neighbor is a Naval Academy Grad and I pulling in more bank. Other neighbor has two advanced degrees from an ACC school and I am pulling in more bank. His spouse has a degree from one of those California schools. Teaches school.

Me? Went to Marshall and pulled a 2.68, drank beer, partied some, went to ballgames, hanging with the ACC and military academy.

Good job, Marshall. You are doing it the right way. All of is a scam anyway. Get the paper. Don't go spend 100 Grand on some fancy education where some nitwit might block you from going to the library.

Reactions: Russ Priddy
Marshall is perfect. College for the most part is a waste of money. So if you are floating along with a 2.5 in high school don't go waste it somewhere else. Good idea on Marshall's part. it is all a scam anyway, so be less scammed. Get in and get the piece of paper and get out.

Marshall has never claimed to be the Ivy League, thank God and look at the cesspool.

I went to Marshall and popped out with a beautiful 2.68 GPA. My neighbor is a Naval Academy Grad and I pulling in more bank. Other neighbor has two advanced degrees from an ACC school and I am pulling in more bank. His spouse has a degree from one of those California schools. Teaches school.

Me? Went to Marshall and pulled a 2.68, drank beer, partied some, went to ballgames, hanging with the ACC and military academy.

Good job, Marshall. You are doing it the right way. All of is a scam anyway. Get the paper. Don't go spend 100 Grand on some fancy education where some nitwit might block you from going to the library.
Based on the opinion of this Marshall alum, the quality of Marshall education has been watered down for decades.

Mods, can we remove his politically-tinged comments at the same rate that you have edited/deleted my posts within the last week?

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
Based on the opinion of this Marshall alum, the quality of Marshall education has been watered down for decades.

Mods, can we remove his politically-tinged comments at the same rate that you have edited/deleted my posts within the last week?
what is political about it? Marshall is a great value and worked for me. That's the point. That is Marshall's mission.

Reactions: 19MU88
What is political about it?
Let me see if I can walk you through it with your 2.68 GPA. Just because you don't fulfill your moderator duties on the board that I built doesn't mean the mods should ignore their duties on this board:

. His spouse has a degree from one of those California schools.
Can you imagine going to Columbia or one of these other fancy schools and a bunch of Hamas terrorist supporters out there blocking your way to class? Can't get to the library or dorm because some idiot spoiled agitator commie is out there in the way?

I am doing better than most of those Ivy League weirdos.

Why don't some good old boys just go in there and teach them a lesson.

Yeah, the system is broken and its way too top heavy at the board offices and in Charleston. There are bad teachers for sure, but the issues start at home. jmho
I hope you guys dont think I was taking a shot at public school teachers, that wasn't my intent... I fully realize that teachers are just at the end of the line of what happens in a boardroom in Charleston. I completely understand that kids home lives are worse than they've ever been. It's the same down here in rural Western North Carolina - kids being raised by one parent if they're lucky, or maybe grandma/grandpa, etc. (in reality raising themselves in lot of cases).

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
It's the same down here in rural Western North Carolina - kids being raised by one parent if they're lucky, or maybe grandma/grandpa, etc. (in reality raising themselves in lot of cases).
It's truly amazing that public school teachers, with their pay, are able to work miracles and find success with some students who are raised in the environments that they are. With childcare being so expensive, companies have had success creating their own daycare centers for the convenience of their employees. For instance, Herdman was raised in a brothel where his mom worked (I believe she just cleaned the linens and wasn't a host). Without her employer allowing him to hang out there each day, who knows how Herdman would have turned out.

He would have been perfect for this new Marshall initiative. Bambi could do his high school homework in between her dates, and without the need for an application, Herdman still could have been welcomed to campus.

I hope you guys dont think I was taking a shot at public school teachers, that wasn't my intent... I fully realize that teachers are just at the end of the line of what happens in a boardroom in Charleston. I completely understand that kids home lives are worse than they've ever been. It's the same down here in rural Western North Carolina - kids being raised by one parent if they're lucky, or maybe grandma/grandpa, etc. (in reality raising themselves in lot of cases).
No, I didn't think you were at all. I was just sharing my wife's experience. It's a broken system all the way around. No doubt.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Let me see if I can walk you through it with your 2.68 GPA. Just because you don't fulfill your moderator duties on the board that I built doesn't mean the mods should ignore their duties on this board:

you copied something from Pullman Square. I can post that stuff there so, you brought it to this forum. She did go to one of those California schools. I think it was UC Santa Clara or Santa Bárbara. I don't remember exactly which one. What is political about that. What if I said one of those Wyoming schools?

Well, it is not political when you look at the Ivy League. I said they are blocking the library which they are and at schools that are supposed to be the best. They cost a fortune to attend. Nothing poltiical about it, if you are supposed to be getting the best education for premium bucks and you can't get in the damn library.

You screened snapped stuff from Pullman and me posting there is within the rules.

It's truly amazing that public school teachers, with their pay, are able to work miracles and find success with some students who are raised in the environments that they are. With childcare being so expensive, companies have had success creating their own daycare centers for the convenience of their employees. For instance, Herdman was raised in a brothel where his mom worked (I believe she just cleaned the linens and wasn't a host). Without her employer allowing him to hang out there each day, who knows how Herdman would have turned out.

He would have been perfect for this new Marshall initiative. Bambi could do his high school homework in between her dates, and without the need for an application, Herdman still could have been welcomed to campus.

What are you bitching about? Worked for you too. They let you into play some ball.

All anybody is doing is paying for a piece of paper.

you copied something from Pullman Square. I can post that stuff there so, you brought it to this forum. She did go to one of those California schools. I think it was UC Santa Clara or Santa Bárbara. I don't remember exactly which one. What is political about that. What if I said one of those Wyoming schools?
You thanked god that Marshall wasn't an Ivy and called Ivy schools "cesspools." That belief, based on all of the posts I shared from Pullman, shows it to be politically motivated.

It would be like me bashing Trump repeatedly on Pullman, then coming here and saying that "orange, fat presidents who grab females by the pXssX, mock the military, state that they want the Constitution terminated, and instigate riots and promote election interference shouldn't be allowed in office," then claiming my comment was general in nature and not politically motivated.

What are you bitching about? Worked for you too. They let you into play some ball.
I would have received a full academic scholarship to come here regardless. Now that anybody with an WV education and a 2.5 GPA gets preferential treatment, I probably would have been given a free-ride and had unlimited free Ward's Donuts.

Last edited:
You thanked god that Marshall wasn't an Ivy and called Ivy schools "cesspools." That belief, based on all of the posts I shared from Pullman, show it to be politically motivated.

It would be like me bashing Trump repeatedly on Pullman, then coming here and saying that "orange, fat presidents who grab females by the pXssX, mock the military, state that they want the Constitution terminated, and instigate riots and promote election interference shouldn't be allowed in office," then claiming my comment was general in nature and not politically motivated.

I would have received a full academic scholarship to come here regardless. Now that anybody with an WV education and a 2.5 GPA get preferential treatment, I probably would have been given a free-ride and had unlimited free Ward's Donuts.
I have called other universities certain names as well.

Attacking people and institutions that function effectively in our democracy (not breaking our laws), can be interpreted as political. One should have reasons for making negative comments. It would be helpful to describe your reasons, leaving no room for misunderstanding. Of course, Old Fairfield & Herd Nation leadership has asked us not to do that. You are correct "herdman". Pullman does allow it.

Yesterday, Marshall reminded everybody that their academic standards are very low. They unveiled a program that will automatically grant admission to any Cabell County high school graduate with a 2.5 GPA, no application or fee needed.

West Virginia already has one of the worst K-12 educations in the country. Kids with a C average in a subpar, watered down educational system have already been able to glide by without much effort. Now, Marshall doesn’t just want to automatically accept them but also allow them to show even less effort by not having to complete an application?

Wait, why is Marshall raising their admission requirements for only Cabell County students. Seems discriminatory.

Wait, why is Marshall raising their admission requirements for only Cabell County students. Seems discriminatory.
Previously, you were accepted if you could accurately spell your name on the application. Now, Cabell kids with a 2.5 GPA don’t even have to accurately sign their name. So it’s actually reducing the requirement for local kids with a 2.5.

That’s what happens when you put an unethical businessman in charge of an academic institution. Screw the academic reputation: it’s all about numbers and revenue to start (profit will come later).

Reactions: Ninegate
You can type "Cuellar." It's allowed.
I used to like watching Cuellar pitch. That was back when the Orioles were loaded. Jim Palmer, Dobson, Dave McNally all won 20 games, something that will never be done again. Then you got Paul Blair, Brooks Robinson, Bellanger at short. Davey Johnson as well. Was Boog playing in 71?

I need to get down to Camden Yards. They might win it all this year. Think it's safe down there? Inner Harbor isn't quite like it used to be. I know why, but I'm not saying.

Reactions: Herdguy04

No Child left Behind.

(In a nutshell)

I need to get down to Camden Yards. They might win it all this year. Think it's safe down there?
I stayed at the Four Seasons in the Inner Harbor for a few nights last season when the Mets played the Orioles. That was the first game the Mets' hitting coach, Eric Chavez, realized I was everywhere they were. On the hotel elevator, he asked me if the Cohens (owners) hired me to keep an eye on the team while on the road.

That area has always been a bit sketchy. There is a lot to do, but there is always something negative going on. The Cheesecake Factory there is the dirtiest and grossest I have ever seen. You'll have no problem walking back-and-forth to Camden. Tons of people around and nothing that bad.

Inner Harbor isn't quite like it used to be. I know why, but I'm not saying.
That's typical of you. You are always scared to speak your mind and are always extremely politically correct.

Reactions: Rock98Dog
The "education" system as a whole right now is currently a joke.
I agree,
we all should be asking questions like, should we have public schools?, Are teachers paid to much? I read a book once that could help the world! It would be great guidance to mankind……

Oh well me and my family will just be the not normal ones….

I agree,
we all should be asking questions like, should we have public schools?, Are teachers paid to much? I read a book once that could help the world! It would be great guidance to mankind……

Oh well me and my family will just be the not normal ones….
Ironic post when it comes to talking about the quality of public schooling.

The biggest problem in public education from elementary on up through higher ed is the overwhelming growth of the "administrator class". We have two "instructional coaches". They don't do jack shit. There are 4 different people over my content area at the district level. We are spending on average about 14000/student in this country for what? So some former hair dresser or elementary school teacher can get a dr Jill degree and tell me how best to teach proper injury evaluation techniques.

I have a few opinions on this but, it is good to see others waking up.

Last edited:
I like this idea as long as Marshall doesn't alter its own education requirements. I knew a lot of kids in high school around that GPA level that came from broken homes, were very low income, had to essentially raise their siblings, had to work to support themselves/siblings, messed around as 14-15 year old freshman and sophomores, or any other thing that gave them a much tougher road than the rich family's kid with a stay at home parent and private tutoring.

I like it that a lot more kids get a shot. However, if the screw it up, that is on them.

Reactions: bris1112
The biggest problem in public education from elementary on up through higher ed is the overwhelming growth of the "administrator class". We have two "instructional coaches". They don't do jack shit. There are 4 different people over my content area at the district level. We are spending on average about 14000/student in this country for what? So some former hair dresser or elementary school teacher can get a dr Jill degree and tell me how best to teach proper injury evaluation techniques.
Ive wondered for the last several years how actual teachers feel about these positions... I live in a county of about 50k people. We have positions in our central office called "Elementary Curriculum Coordinator," "School Policy Analyst," "Summer Education Camp (summer school) Coordinator," "Director of Student Advancement," etc. Not to mention the regular administrators, IE superintendent, assistant superintendent, finance director, budget coordinator, IT director, etc.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Ive wondered for the last several years how actual teachers feel about these positions... I live in a county of about 50k people. We have positions in our central office called "Elementary Curriculum Coordinator," "School Policy Analyst," "Summer Education Camp (summer school) Coordinator," "Director of Student Advancement," etc. Not to mention the regular administrators, IE superintendent, assistant superintendent, finance director, budget coordinator, IT director, etc.
It's a joke. We have those types of positions as well. We have a testing coordinator position in school where their sole job is to organize state tests. It's not easy but come on it's not a full time job. They are coveted positions because they are cake jobs.

Reactions: RhinoD
As a spouse of a recently retired teacher of 35 years, I can say that todays kids have the least amount of support from the home/family than they ever have. Many parents in WV don't place value on an education and simply use schools as a baby sitting service. Heck, many of my wifes students were smarter than their parents, or so it seemed when she spoke to them; IF they ever showed up at school for meetings , functions or parent-teacher conference. She's had parents call her from Jail, from drug rehab, etc. WV has the highest number of kids being raised by their grandparents. We are in the top 3 of kids in foster care. 49% of able bodied adults work, 51 % suck off the government and it becomes a generational cycle.
I believe you nailed it here. I'll throw in my 2 cents as well since everyone else has.

My wife taught public school for 17 years before finally moving on to a different career. She couldn't handle it anymore. IMO, we are seeing the full effect of the opioid crisis that began in the late 90s/2000s. We have an entire generation of kids that are being raised by grandparents, foster parents, or aunts and uncles. All because the real parents are strung out or dead. It's a tough situation that does not have a good solution. Maybe the next generation of southern wv will do better. Only time will tell. And while I believe that Huntington as a whole is trending up, I'm not sure WV will ever get out of the hole.

My son's high school can't keep the best teachers they have, nor can they keep the best students. The ones that have parents that actually care about education pull their kids and take them elsewhere. When I showed up for a recent parent teacher conference it was a ghost town. A couple of the teachers actually look surprised when I walked in. They told me that very few parents ever show up.

All that to say, I'm glad Brad Smith is doing this for the kids in Cabell County. A lot of kids don't have the home life to succeed in high school. If they can get to college, away from the poor conditions of home, maybe it's possible for them to find success. Success they would have otherwise never found if they had to meet certain admission requirements for college.

I realize that would be the exception and not the norm. It is still worth it in my eyes.

I like this idea as long as Marshall doesn't alter its own education requirements. I knew a lot of kids in high school around that GPA level that came from broken homes, were very low income, had to essentially raise their siblings, had to work to support themselves/siblings, messed around as 14-15 year old freshman and sophomores, or any other thing that gave them a much tougher road than the rich family's kid with a stay at home parent and private tutoring.

I like it that a lot more kids get a shot. However, if the screw it up, that is on them.

This.
WV can benefit from giving more kids an easier path.
For kids that don't have an example to look at in their own family or neighborhood, it's an intimidating process start to finish.
The entire state should encourage removing barriers and letting more kids get a shot at going to college.

I see WI getting 2000 jobs and a data center from $MSFT and upstate NY getting 1000s of jobs related to chip manufacturing. WV needs a more intellectual workforce to attract some of these big investments.

Out of stater talks about low academic standards in WV while having attended, and graduated from, a university in WV....

Reactions: 19MU88
If the average person went to the state dept. of ed building at the Capitol complex, they would see the issue as well and be pissed. Bloated upper positions, support staff, etc. None knowing what the other is doing. I used to call on the state dept. of ed. back in the late 80's. It was a chinese fire drill on steroids.

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT