ADVERTISEMENT

Ever Wonder Why JMU Has Good Teams?

Dec 12, 2023
Saw this on another Marshall Board.

According to the below link, JMU subsidizes its athletic program with 78% of athletic funding coming from student fees. With an enrollment of over 20,000 students, JMU gets their money from the parents. The MAC schools also are heavy subsidized by students and Marshall athletics are also subsidized. I don't think the SEC and B10 schools have student fees due to TV contracts and high gate receipts.

Students are forced to subsidize college sports. Why?
A report by Sportico says that at James Madison University, 78% of the athletic funding comes from student fees.
https://cardinalnews.org/2024/03/27/students-are-forced-to-subsidize-college-sports-why/

This has been out there for years. It’s why I always say the most important thing to help Marshall sports is to grow enrollment.

Also, VA schools have different rules for how schools can pay for sports and how they account for it. This means that the AD receives only about $1MM in “institutional support” while the much smaller Marshall receives $16 million in institutional support.

Bottom line, if students don’t think the value is there they can go to a different school.

This has been out there for years. It’s why I always say the most important thing to help Marshall sports is to grow enrollment.

Also, VA schools have different rules for how schools can pay for sports and how they account for it. This means that the AD receives only about $1MM in “institutional support” while the much smaller Marshall receives $16 million in institutional support.

Bottom line, if students don’t think the value is there they can go to a different school.
Institutional support is just another form of student fees. Both support the athletic department and are subsidies. I was a resident in Virginia when the Cox law was passed and I am surprised that JMU still has such a high subsidy. Virginia schools still hides parts of their institutional support for athletics with creative accounting.

The article just shows how much the parents paying tuition are getting soaked by JMU.

Understand that over 1/5th of JMU students are out of state. A student who goes to school out-of-state (and, no I am not talking about somebody who lives at home in South Point or whatever and commutes, not the situation at JMU) is a rich kid. State schools who cater to rich kids are de facto private schools. They are in the great competition for rich kids that takes place all over the northeast . Hundreds of different schools, each offering its own luxury lifestyle for kids. JMU is just being a little WVU. Mediocre academics, easy admissions, big time sports. That sells to a lot of kids. Worked for WVU.

Lesson for MU? Not much. Our "state subsidy" is nearly 60%. We are not geographically in a position to play the private school rich kid game (nor should we, our job is to do the hard work WVU forsake decades ago of helping WV). Our enrollment is only going to grow if we find a governor with the balls to padlock most of our too many joke state colleges. That simple.

Understand that over 1/5th of JMU students are out of state. A student who goes to school out-of-state (and, no I am not talking about somebody who lives at home in South Point or whatever and commutes, not the situation at JMU) is a rich kid. State schools who cater to rich kids are de facto private schools.
You’re a moron. Marshall has a higher percentage of out-of-staters than JMU. Based on your claim, that means Marshall is a “de facto private school.”

You’re a moron. Marshall has a higher percentage of out-of-staters than JMU. Based on your claim, that means Marshall is a “de facto private school.”
JMU has just over 1/5 from another state. Marshall’s enrollment is 21.7% out of state.

You’re wrong and a child.

(and, no I am not talking about somebody who lives at home in South Point or whatever and commutes, not the situation at JMU) i

JMU has just over 1/5 from another state. Marshall’s enrollment is 21.7% out of state.

You’re wrong and a child.
Mental Defective:

Read before responding again. And use your own name. The mods know who you are and you should be banned for life. Their call, but really, they cannot do something about this?

Please get help. You may not think so, but recovery from mental illness is possible. You can again, or perhaps for the first time, be a productive member of society. It starts with that first step. Admit you are mentally ill. Get help. It can happen for you, as it has for many who have had the courage you lack. The courage to admit to insanity and to ask for treatment.

Mental Defective:

Read before responding again.
Last year was Marshall's first increase in enrollment in a long time. Marshall's biggest increase in segment enrollment was in the metro area (including Ohio and Kentucky). That segment increased by 20%, mostly due to Marshall matching in-state tuition for those out-of-staters in a larger metro area.

That initially seems to support your argument (commuters/South Point as your example). However, that isn't accurate nor the major influence of the enrollment increase. The major influence was that Marshall extended what is considered "metro" to 59 counties in Ohio and Kentucky. Now, do you think it's a coincidence that the enrollment finally increased the same year that tuition was lowered for far more people? Nope. Do you think that the majority of those new students are commuting considering the distance 59 counties spans? Nope.

In other words, the overwhelming majority of on-campus students making up the enrollment increase are not commuters/South Point, which hurts your argument even more.

21.7 > 20

You lose . . . again.

The metro rate is higher than in-state tuition.
This year, Marshall matched in-state tuition for those metro (59 counties) out-of-staters. In other words, if you live in one of those counties in Kentucky/Ohio, Marshall matched their tuition to what those rednecks would have paid in-state at many other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT