ADVERTISEMENT

Extension Official: DD Back For Three Years

This is a token effort.
Come on man. You just don't get it do you. Get with it. We've never been all that good so we shouldn't actually want to be any better than Dan because Dan did something 6 years ago. What he did 6 years ago hadn't been done since 1988 so that means he gets a lifetime deal. You're delusional if you think Marshall can be better than Dan and that make you a bad fan as well.

Come on man. You just don't get it do you. Get with it. We've never been all that good so we shouldn't actually want to be any better than Dan because Dan did something 6 years ago. What he did 6 years ago hadn't been done since 1988 so that means he gets a lifetime deal. You're delusional if you think Marshall can be better than Dan and that make you a bad fan as well.
Bleeds - gotta take you to task for your bad math. 6 years ago DD’s Herd played 4 games in 4 days, losing in the championship game to Middle.
5 years ago was the 8 day hot streak.

Reactions: horsrman
Bleeds - gotta take you to task for your bad math. 6 years ago DD’s Herd played 4 games in 4 days, losing in the championship game to Middle.
5 years ago was the 8 day hot streak.
This season has ended.

1 (2022-23), 2 (2021-22), 3 (2020-21), 4 (2019-20), 5 (2018-19), 6 (2017-18)

Either way. It doesn't negate how pathetic this is.

Lets be honest... Stevie Wonder saw this coming... Here is how basketball has transpired since the final game of our pathetic 2021-22 campaign.

1. DD goes on the defensive with every excuse under the sun... turmoil in the Shewey, no university president in place, kids distracted, tough schedule, etc.
2. Marshall moves to the Sun Belt (conference schedule immediately gets easier).
3. Spears is hired and hands DD a one-year "wait and see" contract extension under the guise that he needs to show improvement in 2022-23.
4. Marshall unveils the weakest basketball schedule in the history of the university.
5. MU shits the bed at Queens College (the basketball world laughs)
6. MU runs through most of the rest of the non-conference slate made up of awful teams from leagues even weaker than the SBC.
7. MU provides glimmer of hope in conference play.
8. Lose the last game of the regular season to ODU and thus an NIT bid.
9. Get beat in the first round of the conference tourney by the 11 seed.
10. Immediate messages from Spears/Smith about "having a great year," "turning the corner" and "being an NCAA or NIT team" (despite not being either).
11. Rumblings about impending contract extension, to keep DD around until he's close to 80.
12. Said contract signed, sealed and delivered.

Sam's right. No one in a position of authority gives a damn about improving the program... And now that DD is locked up for 3 more years, the results really dont matter. His check is going to cash either way.

Next year's schedule will be better, the results will not be as good, and the apologists will chirp about losing Kinsey, playing better teams, etc. and the cycle of mediocrity in the most mediocre of leagues will begin anew.

F7-EC71-D2-8046-4014-8-A0-A-CF8-A9-A72-C3-C8.png

All we can do now is hope that those posters who keep claiming that DD will do the right thing for the program are right and he will do the right thing down the road and there won’t be a buyout, but we saw how that turned out this season with the year end flop.

This decision was just about making people with old money happy.

To be fair, if I were coach Dan, and got wind of the Herd hiring Kim Stephens as the ladies coach, I'd have stayed for an additional three years as well, and even volunteered for a 50% pay cut.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Maybe it is a strategy to reduce the negotiating power of a potential candidate within the next year or two.

The Dantonis must have thrown a huge donation in the pot.
Don't think so. The other large donors or hell, donors period! is who to look too. No way the family is forcing this and they can't.

I'm disappointed and have been fine if DD left on own or was pushed out after each of the last two seasons.

He is coming back. I'll buy my tickets and send some cash to tip off club and hope for the best.

I think many of those screaming token efforts should do some self examination of their own support via ticket purchase or donations to tip off. Maybe a token effort is what we are paying for. And, while season and schedule ultimately ended up disappointing, we won a lot of games and frankly, should've /could've had at least NIT bid.

I totally get peoples frustrations and wanting him gone. Id be ok with it too. So, honestly I don't engage most of the haters, because they do have good points.

I'm just hoping DD realizes he needs 2-3 new guys ready to play with skil sets we don't have. If he doesn't address that in portal, honestly I don't know why he wants to continue.

Well, I think the issue is that’s Dan is simply just cheap and they are using the money they are saving on salary to enhance football. It’s sad we have to make these choices, but it’s our reality, which is sad.

To get a coach that is actually going to work 12 months a year, burn up the recruiting trail, and bring us into the realities of the new portal and NIL world of college sports would cost us 3-4 times what we pay Dan.

I guess I can’t blame them for thinking that being better won’t increase attendance and offset the cost because it didn’t happen with a coaching change in football.

Basketball is a sport where you can add two or three players and compete for championships. Maybe Dan can find those players this year. His frosh this year proved to be solid pick ups.

Basketball is a sport where you can add two or three players and compete for championships. Maybe Dan can find those players this year. His frosh this year proved to be solid pick ups.
He needs to find someone to try to replace Kinsey. The frosh were good but not sure they can improve enough to replace his production and consistency night in and night out. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT