ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite/ Least Favorite

Sep 19, 2022
I always wonder what other people think about this stuff... What is your favorite Marshall win of all time (football, bball whatever)? What is the game that will piss you off for the rest of time?

My favorite win is still the ECU bowl win. Watching Byron become a legend is what I think sums up being a Herd fan is.

Least favorite- It's gotta be watching us completely melt down against WVU in 2010.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview
I always wonder what other people think about this stuff... What is your favorite Marshall win of all time (football, bball whatever)? What is the game that will piss you off for the rest of time?

My favorite win is still the ECU bowl win. Watching Byron become a legend is what I think sums up being a Herd fan is.

Least favorite- It's gotta be watching us completely melt down against WVU in 2010.
Favorite..1st home FB game after the crash..beat Xavier...worst..ditto WVU loss

This is an interesting question...

For football win, I have two answers, because IMO the context of the season matters... First would be the 1999 bowl game over BYU. It completed an incredible undefeated season, the team finished ranked in the top 10 (which no one thought possible for a school that had only been DI for such a short time), etc. That season is one we may very well never see again in our lifetime.

Second, just from a single game, one day, biggest win in that brief moment... This year at Notre Dame... Going up there, being in the stadium, seeing all the history and tradition, and then pulling that upset was a hell of a fun day.

Loss that will forever be remembered and piss me off... Byron's broken leg game at Akron. He leaves in an ambulance, comes back late in the third quarter, the linemen are carrying him up the field because he can barely walk. The scene was set for just a historic effort being rewarded with a win. Then we lost... In the 30 degree, spitting snow, 35 mph wind of the shithole Rubber Bowl.

Reactions: Elkview
Two losses will always haunt me...

First ,the 2010 debacle with WVU where if our HC had a better understanding of clock management he runs three QB sneaks at the WVU 7 yard line eats up the clock kicks a 15 yard FG and puts us up three scores with 4 minutes to play instead of inserting a true FROSH cold off the bench who immediately fumbles the ball and the game away!

Second, the 2004 stunning loss at OSU which I put squarely on the back /foot of Ian O'Conner. He missed a chip shot FG in the waning minutes of the game, our defense does a great job of stopping the Bucks, we get the ball back around our 4O yard line, can't get a first down but it looks like certain OT but Ian shanks the punt and Bucks kick a 52 yard FG without moving the ball as the clock strikes 0:00!

of games I actually attended....

I'd call it a tie...Notre Dame 22, Clemson 99, Wichita State 18, and Soccer National title.

all were just a blast and such a high.

Best...because I can't pick just one.

92 National Championship
97 MAC Championship Snow Bowl vs Toledo(Wasn't THAT big of a deal but it was a lot of fun and Moss' last home game)
99 vs Clemson
99 MAC Championship comeback
99 Motor City Bowl - Undefeated and finished Ranked #10
01 GMAC Bowl
03 Kansas State
Skip ahead to 2022 vs Notre Dame. Should have been the biggest win in history and potentially the start of something very special. Then....

Worst
22 Loss to Bowling Green. Kinda spoiled what could have been the biggest win in Marshall football history.
97 Loss to WVU
98 Loss to Bowling Green. Two undefeated seasons in a row would have really changed things IMO
04 vs Ohio State. Outplayed OSU that day.
04 Fort Worth Bowl vs Cincinnati. Marshall quit that day. I believe this game started a really rough streak for the program.
10 WVU - The day I was over Doc Holliday. Biggest coaching choke job I've ever seen.

Sports other than football...

18 - Basketball vs Witchita State
11 - Basketball vs UCF - Whups Donnie Jones in his first trip back to Huntington
06 & 09 - Basketball vs WVU. Two wins over ranked WVU teams in Charleston.

20/21 - Soccer vs Clemson, Georgetown, UNC and Indiana.

Man there have been a lot of great wins. Notre Dame, KState, Clemson, BYU were all awesome as was the 01 GMAC Bowl, but I have to say one of my favorite memories was the Stan Hill game against Little Miami. I can still hear the eruption from the crowd when he scores.

Least favorite has to be 2010 WVU and any game we've choked away to the freaking bobkitties.

Best wins -
'92 Youngstown
'22 ND
'99 BYU
K-State
'97 vs. Toledo for MAC title.

Worst Loss - 2010 WVU. Grrrr! Nothing else comes close.

'21 Soccer Natty over IU will be memorable as we competed at the highest level and won.

First win over WVU in b'ball was great. First win in the Cam against them. Beating Marquette in the Cam.
Witchita St. win.

Good stuff!

Reactions: HerdFB1 and Elkview
Best...because I can't pick just one.

92 National Championship
97 MAC Championship Snow Bowl vs Toledo(Wasn't THAT big of a deal but it was a lot of fun and Moss' last home game)
99 vs Clemson
99 MAC Championship comeback
99 Motor City Bowl - Undefeated and finished Ranked #10
01 GMAC Bowl
03 Kansas State
Skip ahead to 2022 vs Notre Dame. Should have been the biggest win in history and potentially the start of something very special. Then....

Worst
22 Loss to Bowling Green. Kinda spoiled what could have been the biggest win in Marshall football history.
97 Loss to WVU
98 Loss to Bowling Green. Two undefeated seasons in a row would have really changed things IMO
04 vs Ohio State. Outplayed OSU that day.
04 Fort Worth Bowl vs Cincinnati. Marshall quit that day. I believe this game started a really rough streak for the program.
10 WVU - The day I was over Doc Holliday. Biggest coaching choke job I've ever seen.

Sports other than football...

18 - Basketball vs Witchita State
11 - Basketball vs UCF - Whups Donnie Jones in his first trip back to Huntington
06 & 09 - Basketball vs WVU. Two wins over ranked WVU teams in Charleston.

20/21 - Soccer vs Clemson, Georgetown, UNC and Indiana.
Great List! I always felt the 2004 Akron game was the beginning of the end. Remember we were 5-3 and 5-0 in Conference. Our Losses at that point were to Troy (15-17), Ohio State (21-24), and UGA (3-13). We had a 21 point lead with just a few minutes left in third quarter and were dominating. Then all of sudden we couldn't hold on to a pass, couldn't stop Charlie Frye (running and throwing), and gave up 28 points to get beat 31-28. Still remember it all going to crap thinking we better get it together in OT, then Ian O'Connor dropped the punt snap allowing Akron to kick the game winning FG as time expired.

Worse-2004 OSU, Akron, 2010 wvu
Best-Notre Dame, 92 championship, 2001 bowl comeback, 86 EKU started our climb in 1-AA
BBALL-best for me was Dec. 83 win over wvu, Huck and staff in tuxes, senior year in hs and established my Marshall Fandom

Last edited:
Reactions: RhinoD
97 Loss to WVU
This game to me is simply a great game. Randy Moss becomes a legend. Great crowd from both sides in Morgantown. Yes, it was a loss, but it was a great game and great atmosphere all around. It is what college football should be and is for a lot of rivals and programs.

2010.. not so much with the outcome, all things considered. But I have no ill feelings to the 97 game

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
This game to me is simply a great game. Randy Moss becomes a legend. Great crowd from both sides in Morgantown. Yes, it was a loss, but it was a great game and great atmosphere all around. It is what college football should be and is for a lot of rivals and programs.

2010.. not so much with the outcome, all things considered. But I have no ill feelings to the 97 game
We had the lead and the ball with about 12 minutes to go and decent Field position but Chad forced one on a third and long that got picked...I have always wondered if we win that game if we had just busted a draw play up in there and punted them back!

We had the lead and the ball with about 12 minutes to go and decent Field position but Chad forced one on a third and long that got picked...I have always wondered if we win that game if we had just busted a draw play up in there and punted them back!
One of the greatest feelings I ever had was at that 97 game. To go from listening to the crap mountaineer fans were dishing out at half time, to hearing a pin drop at the end of the third was awesome!

And as I recall, both picks were thrown low and away but still got picked. And then on the drive home we start hearing about a vehicle accident in Paris……

I would have to say the Notre Dame game was my favorite win. Got to witness it in person with my dad and brother who are also die hard Herd fans. There was something strange in the air that day that felt like a win was coming. I wish I could relive that entire day. The soccer national championship was amazing as well, I just didn’t attend.
By far the worst was 2010 WVU. It was my first Marshall home game as a student. I’ll never forget feeling on top of the world when the whole student section was singing Eminem’s “Not Afraid” together. As I watched Martinez fumble on the goal line, I knew we were doomed. I wish I could erase that game from my memory.

It was a gut punch to lose that game the way we did though. After we took the lead I thought we had it wrapped up. To me, it sucked. It was a great game but was awful to lose that one.

And as I recall, both picks were thrown low and away but still got picked. And then on the drive home we start hearing about a vehicle accident in Paris……
...and he had Gary Stills hanging off his neck. Had trouble blocking him all day, I've heard Chad he wishes he had that one back.

While the WVU loss in 2010 was the most painful to me. The most humiliating defeats had to be to WKU 66-6 and the loss to Cincy at home a few years ago. That Cincy game had me thinking how far we have fallen, we didn't even belong on the field with them. They could have scored 100 if they wanted to.

Too many to recount, but one that I personally witnessed that will always stand at or near the top of the heap in my mind will be the first, IIRC, WVU basketball visit to the CAM. The game in which MU player Charles Jones's Mom sang the National Anthem. Then in the game, Jones made a driving, from the foul circle, monster dunk that brought down the House as the HERD thumped Gail Catlett's EERS. To see Catlett leaving the Cam floor with egg on his face before a roaring throng of around 10,500 or so Kelly Green fans is a "forever" memory!! He's a very close second, to Huggy Bear, in terms of WVU arrogant, POS coaches IMO. Crowd noise during that game was the loudest that I ever experienced in decades of watching HERD roundball in person!!

Too many to recount, but one that I personally witnessed that will always stand at or near the top of the heap in my mind will be the first, IIRC, WVU basketball visit to the CAM. The game in which MU player Charles Jones's Mom sang the National Anthem. Then in the game, Jones made a driving, from the foul circle, monster dunk that brought down the House as the HERD thumped Gail Catlett's EERS. To see Catlett leaving the Cam floor with egg on his face before a roaring throng of around 10,500 or so Kelly Green fans is a "forever" memory!! He's a very close second, to Huggy Bear, in terms of WVU arrogant, POS coaches IMO. Crowd noise during that game was the loudest that I ever experienced in decades of watching HERD roundball in person!!
olde - absolutely the loudest!! An unfortunate female ‘eer fan sat next to me, and was visibly not happy as I yelled “ayyyyyyyyyy” the entire game when wvu had the ball.

My uncle worked for the HD at the time, I have a picture of that dunk.
What a great night!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT