ADVERTISEMENT

Fieldof68 says Dantoni out.

Another example of how inept our Athletic Department is. We could have done this two weeks ago and already been looking at potential coaches.

But, no. We just hire one of his assistants? If he flops, they should clean out the men's basketball program top to bottom and fire Spears too. This reeks of stupidity.

I think the fact that DD had no comment other than to confirm a change was made makes one wonder if he really had the ability to dictate Corny as the next coach.

Well, I doubt this guy will hit the tristate high school circuit the same way Dan did. I think we all know this team needs an injection of talent from everywhere.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Let’s consider for moment that this move is to give Mike DantonI time to exist the NBA and come back to be the next Head Coach. Anybody have clue what length of time is there left on Mikes present NBA contract?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Our rivals are laughing at us right now. Overall, Marshall athletics is an absolute shitshow. Thank goodness for men's soccer and women's basketball.

Anyone remember the Dwight Freeman hire? Similar situation. Looks like the AD either doesn’t know Marshall athletic history or doesn’t care or both. We get a coach for cheap.

Anyone remember the Dwight Freeman hire? Similar situation. Looks like the AD either doesn’t know Marshall athletic history or doesn’t care or both. We get a coach for cheap.
Otoh he’ll get a coach that will be very loyal to him , because let’s face it, who else would hire CJ as a D 1 HC? No disrespect meant to CJ. I hope he makes the best of the opportunity given to him

I’m still available, 600k and free Fat Patty’s

Ill buy the best I can get with 500k and live comfortably in southern Ohio.

Reactions: RhinoD
Let’s consider for moment that this move is to give Mike DantonI time to exist the NBA and come back to be the next Head Coach. Anybody have clue what length of time is there left on Mikes present NBA contract?
Mike will be 73 years old in a month or so. He has no experience in college basketball and no recruiting contacts. We just tried that experiment and it didn't work. Plus Mike has no desire to be a college coach. He was interested in the job long ago, but that ship has sailed.

Same. Only logical conclusion. My question then would be - how do you let a terrible, losing, lame duck coach dictate the terms of his demise?
Because Marshall is too poor to pay the remainder of DD's contract and this was the stipulation if he stepped down...?

Makes me think it was part of the deal. Hire Corny or I’m going scorched earth. Hire him and I’ll keep my mouth shut. FDD.
From what I've heard, Corny was Brad Smith's choice. It's been Corny for a long time and all we did is speed up the process of what was going to take place two years from now. Dan told his assistants prior to the season that he only had two seasons left in him. Brad Smith is a Dan D'Antoni fanboy and Corny has been the HCIW for a while.

The silver lining is we sped the timetable up so if Corny doesn't pan out then we can completely move on from the D'Antoni era sooner than later. I am not a fan of the hire, but at least it's a step in the right direction and we don't have to sit through 2 more years of Dan.

Let's see if the rumors of Dan turning down the good recruits that Corny and Adam were getting is true.

Mike will be 73 years old in a month or so. He has no experience in college basketball and no recruiting contacts. We just tried that experiment and it didn't work. Plus Mike has no desire to be a college coach. He was interested in the job long ago, but that ship has sailed.
Didn't he also say he wouldn't take his brother's job.

A few points here...

DD being out had to be done... It HAD to... We all (except Perkins) knew it, Spears knew it, Smith knew it, the writing was on the wall. People were not going to keep supporting the current program as it continued to derail.

I know nothing about Cornelius Jackson other than he's been an assistant here for a while. I'm willing to give him the remainder of DDs contract term to reserve my judgement. Hopefully he is adept at navigating the transfer portal and willing to recruit high school kids who live more than 3 hours from MU, because we need 10 new guys.

Not doing a coaching search is absolutely bush league. Even if you wind up giving the job to the in-house guy, you should at least make it look good for God's sake. Our athletic department is so bad at public relations its laughable and this is just another example.

A few points here...

DD being out had to be done... It HAD to... We all (except Perkins) knew it, Spears knew it, Smith knew it, the writing was on the wall. People were not going to keep supporting the current program as it continued to derail.

I know nothing about Cornelius Jackson other than he's been an assistant here for a while. I'm willing to give him the remainder of DDs contract term to reserve my judgement. Hopefully he is adept at navigating the transfer portal and willing to recruit high school kids who live more than 3 hours from MU, because we need 10 new guys.

Not doing a coaching search is absolutely bush league. Even if you wind up giving the job to the in-house guy, you should at least make it look good for God's sake. Our athletic department is so bad at public relations its laughable and this is just another example.
Yes, we bungled the way it was handled! Corny needs to re-recruit Obinna and Martin has they are the only real talent on the team. then go out and see what he can bring into the program in it's current state.

Yes, we bungled the way it was handled! Corny needs to re-recruit Obinna and Martin has they are the only real talent on the team. then go out and see what he can bring into the program in it's current state.
I'd say that's one of the reasons we went with Corny and retained Williams, Caldwell and Taylor - to keep Martin and Obinna here. Without them, we would be in really bad shape next season. Corny and Co. have a lot of work to do to bring in 3-4 kids who will make an immediate impact.

Obinna has $$$ offers on the table. Here's my deal. If the Dandy Dan Fan Donors wanted Dan or Corny then they need to pony up the money for NIL money to support Corny. If not they can shut up and go away.

I’m afraid Dan is still going to be around the program and Corny “owes him” and will let him continue to have an influence.
Not sure. Corny has two years to prove his worth and that of his staff, or he'll be out of a job. Does he risk letting Dan have too much say? I don't think Corny would be that foolish.

Last edited:
I’m afraid Dan is still going to be around the program and Corny “owes him” and will let him continue to have an influence.
Yeah.. if this happens I think we'd see an immediate statement on Spears' resignation from Marshall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT