ADVERTISEMENT

Fire D'Antoni

I certainly hope he retires to prevent the university from having to involuntarily retire him. But you can't let this kind of demise to your program go. It would look so political, and it would be. When he let his team take a 19 to 0 run, he lost me. 7 is the key number for 90% of the college coaches, I just don't know why he lets it go like he does. Even in the second half, we get a bit of a run going and then they start up. Jones takes a time out when we score five straight, it changed the entire second half. Its plainly time for a change.

HiM - I know you’re being sarcastic, but point well taken. If the players aren’t confident, play “scared” or have just lost interest - that is squarely on the head coach! Danny has plenty enough experience to realize he has lost the team. Swallow your pride, Coach & do the right thing! Last night was loss #100 - and on track to be DD’s worst since season #1. Time for an infusion of youth, energy & yes - passion!
Go Herd!

It's sad that a WV and MU guy has let the program be such a failure and can't get it corrected. Since it appears he cannot correct the situation when he must be relieved of his duties and the new incoming AD must replace him immediately.
It's really sad for me because I really like Dan, but this is the business of college athletics.

I hope DD recognizes its time for a change and the split can be done professionally and with dignity. Hate to see a legend and great family name go down the toilet by hanging on too long and getting fired.

Man this sure is a head scratcher though. All those reports that "Andy was shooting the ball well in practice" and "the team is looking really good."

Anyone willing to pay honest attention could see this coming. Maybe not to this point, but anyone that actually believed that this roster was the deepest and most talented Dan has had yet was fooling themselves. This roster isn't nowhere near the 2017-18 roster. Some of us have been calling out his recruiting for years and getting mocked for "not knowing basketball".

Dan and every single assistant coach needs to be put on notice that their employment at Marshall will end when the season is over.

I agree that a coaching change is needed... Along with a talent infusion... What we saw last night was what we've been seeing all season.

PG -- Taylor -- Turnover factory, who can't shoot, and plays with general malaise on defense.
SG -- Kinsey -- Best athlete on the team, plays hard but is currently playing injured.
SF -- Beyers -- One trick pony whose only trick isn't any good. Was 2/10 from deep last night. Plays no defense.
PF -- OAK -- Raw but athletic. Hustles and plays hard on both ends. Lacks offensive skills but shot is improving.
C -- Miladinovic -- Offers next to nothing on offense, soft, doesn't rebound and lacks defensive effort.
Bench -- A hodgepodge of guys who each have something they do well, but no all-around standouts with clear deficiencies.

Npbody's saying it so I will.

This is pathetic.
ODU won by 15 pts and MU doesn't even look like they care.
ODU had nearly an identical record as MU did and ran them out of the gym tonight.
You are correct, this is the very first time anyone on here has called for him to be fired.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
The people giving the practice reports mean well. Information about the basketball team should come from the Director of Basketball or the SID. This is why most schools have closed practice and if visitors are allowed to watch practice they are asked not to share the information with the general public. From day one Dan was described as a lazy recruiter who would rather play golf than recruit. I hope his golf game is better.

MU has the choice, right now, of telling DD it is over. That gives us a month to do a farewell tribute and end the season with a DD Night. Probably get him a new set of irons. Then get a new staff in here and run off as many players as we can.

Or doing nothing, which makes it clear that this is a token effort basketball school that is just playing because its a rule. This will alienate yet more members of the fan base.

It is time to act.

Fire DD.

Reactions: herd66
Question for the room. Has Marshall ever had a player from Huntington Prep as a member of the squad? One of the top prep programs in the country, so I understand many go on to play for top D1 programs, but just curious if Marshall attempts to recruit some of these players.

Question for the room. Has Marshall ever had a player from Huntington Prep as a member of the squad? One of the top prep programs in the country, so I understand many go on to play for top D1 programs, but just curious if Marshall attempts to recruit some of these players.
I'm sure we have.
I recall Patrick Patterson being approached by Jirsa, who basically told him he could play as long as he wanted at MU then jump to the NBA, not emphasizing education and treating Patterson like he was a 1 and done.
Patterson didn't like that.

MU's Rec gym had Huntington Prep practices and you'd always see someone like Calipari, huggins, or that bald guy from osu who was their HC.
Duke and UNC sent scouts. But every time you walked in, a high level D1 coach was just standing there...it was insane.

It's sad that a WV and MU guy has let the program be such a failure and can't get it corrected. Since it appears he cannot correct the situation when he must be relieved of his duties and the new incoming AD must replace him immediately.
It's really sad for me because I really like Dan, but this is the business of college athletics.

Just so I'm clear, this isn't a knock on the character of both.
I believe both Doc and Dan wanted what was best for MU and genuinely had a passion to elevate the school and programs.
Both seem like genuinely good people, complete social opposites, but good people nonetheless.

The kids at H Prep don't consider Marshall worthy of their time or talent. I never gave a flip about H Prep.

Justin Coleman was here for a short while under Herrion

Reactions: ohio herd
I was involved with HP for years and my wife and i were host parents to over 10 players thru the years. I can tell you that 100 percent of these kids THINK they are high D1 players. Not necessarily so. The only HP player who played for MU was Justin Coleman. I will tell you that coach D and others have wanted recruit HP but our previous AD was against it and also hiring any of their coaches. HE had his reasons which unfortunately were not accurate. Don’t blame our coaches.

I was involved with HP for years and my wife and i were host parents to over 10 players thru the years. I can tell you that 100 percent of these kids THINK they are high D1 players. Not necessarily so. The only HP player who played for MU was Justin Coleman. I will tell you that coach D and others have wanted recruit HP but our previous AD was against it and also hiring any of their coaches. HE had his reasons which unfortunately were not accurate. Don’t blame our coaches.
I have a hunch our previous AD had very good reasons for not wanting to get mixed up with that train wreck.

I have a hunch our previous AD had very good reasons for not wanting to get mixed up with that train wreck.
Would love to hear what you feel were the issues are. I will obviously respect your opinions and give you my thoughts if you wish.

Reactions: Herd1972
The conflict that Marshall faces is if they chose to deal w HP that the NCAA will scrutinize eligibility of recruits much, much harder than they would at larger schools that have deeper pockets (meaning Marshall doesn’t bring in the cash that the UK’s/Gonzaga’s of the world - they are untouchable).
The educational component of HP is suspect, at best. I’m not saying they straight up cheat. I just know, firsthand, that schoolwork is maybe 3rd on the list in importance behind basketball and working out.
What HP does is their business, obviously the parents of the players are fine with how it is structured, but I respect MU and the administration for not choosing to actively participate.

Huntington Prep's "bona fides" notwithstanding, MU needs to recruit MORE players whose levels of talent are a lot closer to that of the players at HP than players with the level of talent like those at the Hooseck School in NY where Danny and his staff have been landing all those highly talented dudes from Inner Absurdistan, and other Eastern European basketball "hotbeds"!!

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
There is a lack of leadership on this team. that’s because dd let’s Kinsey do what ever he wants for his year long nba tryout and the rest of the team is walking on eggshells

Kinsey doesn't have snowballs chance of making any NBA team. He will be lucky to make it in Europe. Yes he can jump but not impressed with him. If he were such a High NBA type player he would dominate and take over a game which we haven't seen. Against the competition we play he should be averaging 40 ppg.

The conflict that Marshall faces is if they chose to deal w HP that the NCAA will scrutinize eligibility of recruits much, much harder than they would at larger schools that have deeper pockets (meaning Marshall doesn’t bring in the cash that the UK’s/Gonzaga’s of the world - they are untouchable).
The educational component of HP is suspect, at best. I’m not saying they straight up cheat. I just know, firsthand, that schoolwork is maybe 3rd on the list in importance behind basketball and working out.
What HP does is their business, obviously the parents of the players are fine with how it is structured, but I respect MU and the administration for not choosing to actively participate.
I know several St Joe parents that have told me the same thing. HP also left St Joe without paying thousands they owed for tuition to that school.

I know several St Joe parents that have told me the same thing. HP also left St Joe without paying thousands they owed for tuition to that school.
I think this was a change in leadership. The free/discounted tuition was taking away for these athletes. Hence the demise of the St. Joe ladies basketball program, baseball team, etc....

I think this was a change in leadership. The free/discounted tuition was taking away for these athletes. Hence the demise of the St. Joe ladies basketball program, baseball team, etc....
Shannon was a better recruiter for girls baskteball players than DD has been the Herd! Lol!

HP certainly had some issues but academics and cheating weren’t two of them. ST Joe made no exceptions for HP players. My wife was academic advisor and everything they did conformed to NCAA rules. That doesn’t mean some players didn’t struggle though. I housed players who could have played for MU who weren’t recruited and they had great grades and graduated from college in 4 years. Dayton, North Florida, Akron, Penn State are but a few of low major programs chosen. I know of no NCAA investigations there.

HP certainly had some issues but academics and cheating weren’t two of them. ST Joe made no exceptions for HP players. My wife was academic advisor and everything they did conformed to NCAA rules. That doesn’t mean some players didn’t struggle though. I housed players who could have played for MU who weren’t recruited and they had great grades and graduated from college in 4 years. Dayton, North Florida, Akron, Penn State are but a few of low major programs chosen. I know of no NCAA investigations there.
It’s about HP not paying all the tuition. Nothing to do with grades

It’s about HP not paying all the tuition. Nothing to do with grades
You are correct, HP didn’t pay it all one year. For 9 straight years HP paid ST. Joe in full. Sometimes it was late but by end of school year they were always paid up. They year they didn’t was the COVID year that the seasons stopped in March. It completely stopped any income coming in for HP thru game attendance. It would have eventually been paid in full.

Man this sure is a head scratcher though. All those reports that "Andy was shooting the ball well in practice" and "the team is looking really good."

Anyone willing to pay honest attention could see this coming. Maybe not to this point, but anyone that actually believed that this roster was the deepest and most talented Dan has had yet was fooling themselves. This roster isn't nowhere near the 2017-18 roster. Some of us have been calling out his recruiting for years and getting mocked for "not knowing basketball".

Dan and every single assistant coach needs to be put on notice that their employment at Marshall will end when the season is over.

congrats. You have been calling it out for years and hear you are… many years later…finally,unfortunately, Getting to brag about being..right?…I guess?

ripping on the opinions of those that take the time to go to the open practices and give you their feedback…. How dare they

Geez.

ripping on the opinions of those that take the time to go to the open practices and give you their feedback…. How dare they

Geez.
Curious to know. Who are the posters (on this site) that attend the open practices? Are they sound basketball minds, former players, i.e., know the game well enough and non-partial enough to provide decent feedback. There's a huge difference in open practice and actual games. I once had a kid that played for me that would shoot lights out in practice, but once the lights were on and the fans were packing the gym, he would freeze up and seldom make a shot.

Curious to know. Who are the posters (on this site) that attend the open practices? Are they sound basketball minds, former players, i.e., know the game well enough and non-partial enough to provide decent feedback. There's a huge difference in open practice and actual games. I once had a kid that played for me that would shoot lights out in practice, but once the lights were on and the fans were packing the gym, he would freeze up and seldom make a shot.
Yep. A lot of guys can stand out in practice. TBH, I doubt Dan and staff have the kids go 100% in practice any way. I just don't see him requiring that.

congrats. You have been calling it out for years and hear you are… many years later…finally,unfortunately, Getting to brag about being..right?…I guess?

Geez.
My point was that those on here giving us the "Andy sure is shooing the ball well in practice" reports refused to ever be honest. Everyone's an all-star and this was Dan's deepest and most talented roster he's had since he's been here. Some of us pointed out that none of that was true, but were ignored and had our fanhood questioned.

You may think I'm arrogant for saying that, but just that claim is complete bunk. Take this roster and compare it with the NCAA Tournament team's roster. Anyone that can say with a straight face that 2021-22's roster was top to bottom better than 2017-18's has zero credibility. Zero.

Andy Taylor isn't even close to as good as Jon Elmore. The backcourt on that 2017-18 squad was far and away better than this year's team.

Then you had people actually claiming that West and Williams' departures weren't really going to hurt and actually could be addition by subtraction lol. Again at PG position I'll take West over Taylor. He's more decisive and his tenacity on both ends is was hard to match. Williams was vastly underappreciated. Especially once he was moved out of position.

Still the fluff continues to be written with zero objectivity.

My point was that those on here giving us the "Andy sure is shooing the ball well in practice" reports refused to ever be honest. Everyone's an all-star and this was Dan's deepest and most talented roster he's had since he's been here. Some of us pointed out that none of that was true, but were ignored and had our fanhood questioned.

You may think I'm arrogant for saying that, but just that claim is complete bunk. Take this roster and compare it with the NCAA Tournament team's roster. Anyone that can say with a straight face that 2021-22's roster was top to bottom better than 2017-18's has zero credibility. Zero.

Andy Taylor isn't even close to as good as Jon Elmore. The backcourt on that 2017-18 squad was far and away better than this year's team.

Then you had people actually claiming that West and Williams' departures weren't really going to hurt and actually could be addition by subtraction lol. Again at PG position I'll take West over Taylor. He's more decisive and his tenacity on both ends is was hard to match. Williams was vastly underappreciated. Especially once he was moved out of position.

Still the fluff continues to be written with zero objectivity.
I understand you completely, but it's just their opinion. I appreciate the reports but also know well enough how to form my own opinion. I look at it no different than half of the crap I read in an online article or this board. JMO

My point was that those on here giving us the "Andy sure is shooing the ball well in practice" reports refused to ever be honest.
So you are saying that the guys who went to practice and took the time to write up their opinions to the rest of us were lying to us?

That they were never ever honest in any of their reporting of the practice reports?

So you are saying that the guys who went to practice and took the time to write up their opinions to the rest of us were lying to us?

That they were never ever honest in any of their reporting of the practice reports?
I'd say they were being up front and factual. Although the Dan lovefest tends to make some embellish what they see.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
When I go to HS sports around here I have talked to my wife about a simple way to judge talent. If I have to tell you a player is good, they really aren’t that good.

The reason is that most of the players out there, be it football or basketball, aren’t that good. Really good players stick out like a sore thumb and it’s not just once or twice in a game, it’s almost constant.

Same holds true for Marshall where we aren’t blessed with high end recruits - if a player is not standing out consistently and just maybe has some great practices or games here and there, he’s just an average player. If he’s not consistently dominating our bench players he isn’t going to dominate starters on any team we play.

I think the guys who go to all the practices make the mistake of judging our players against our other players. That’s valid at UK or Duke, but not here. If we don’t have a few players that stand out - consistently - we don’t have any players.

Given the state of the NCAA, I'm not sure conforming to their standards is something to be bragging about. It's like being the nicest prisoner at San Quentin.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
HiM - I know you’re being sarcastic, but point well taken. If the players aren’t confident, play “scared” or have just lost interest - that is squarely on the head coach! Danny has plenty enough experience to realize he has lost the team. Swallow your pride, Coach & do the right thing! Last night was loss #100 - and on track to be DD’s worst since season #1. Time for an infusion of youth, energy & yes - passion!
Go Herd!
The issue with that is, going with the "we're young" excuse or movement - means another 2-3 years to see if the supposed young guys can develop into legit D1 players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT