ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Game Day Improvements

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Marshall Athletics announced Tuesday significant changes in and around Joan C. Edwards Stadium aimed at enhancing the football gameday atmosphere for fans.

Marshall’s 2021 home opener is set for Saturday, Sept. 11 against North Carolina Central. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m.

“Our objective this offseason was to explore every opportunity to improve the gameday experience for the best fans in college football,” said Jeff O’Malley, the Interim Director of Athletics. “We have implemented changes to the pre-game environment outside of the stadium and added elements to the in-game experience that we know our fans will appreciate.”

A list of the gameday improvements follows:

Thunder Street

A concert stage and food vendors highlight a new area on 20th Street between 3rd and 5th Avenue. Although West Lot pass-holders will still be able to access parking via the two 20th Street entrances, the area between those two gates will be closed to through traffic. That area will feature a concert series sponsored by West Virginia Lottery, as well as multiple food vendors, beer and an inflatable ‘M’ for fan photos. The inflatable ‘M’ is sponsored by Mountain Health Network.

Thunder Street will open four hours prior to kickoff and close 45 minutes prior to the start of the game. Through traffic on 20th Street will reopen at approximately halftime of the game.

Concessions

A new point-of-sale system will be available at all food concession vendor stands inside Joan C. Edwards Stadium. With this new technology, as well as improved operational infrastructure, there will be a substantial increase in speed of service for stadium guests. Additionally, two new vendors will occupy space within Joan C. Edwards Stadium this season: Midway Drive In, with its famous hot dogs and more, will occupy Stand No. 2 on the West concourse. Truckin’ Cheesy, with its unique scrumptious fare, will be located at Stand No. 9 on the East concourse.

AT&T Tower

As part of its continuing network investment to support growing demand for advanced wireless devices and services, AT&T is installing a new cell tower on the east side of Joan C. Edwards Stadium. This tower, when operational, will improve AT&T’s coverage throughout the stadium and in the surrounding community.

Fireworks

A new pre-game and in-game element will be fireworks and pyrotechnics. The displays will be included in the pre-game team entrance and following Thundering Herd touchdowns.

DJ Herd That

An exciting addition to the in-game environment is the debut of DJ Herd That, a student who won the opportunity to assist with in-game music selections. The DJ, sponsored by Dr. Pepper, will be located behind the student section on the walkway behind Section 119.

Additionally, the Thunder Walk will change slightly this season. Football players and staff will exit the buses on the corner of 20th Street and 3rd Avenue, walk down 20th Street toward the Thunder Street event area, and then enter the West Lot at the entrance closest to 3rd Avenue. The players will then walk through the West Lot, as in previous years, toward the northwest ramp and enter the stadium.

Re-entry will be allowed at Joan C. Edwards Stadium in 2021.

“We’re really excited about the upcoming season, not only for a chance to hit the field but also the new fan engagement opportunities that we are rolling on this season,” said Charles Huff, Marshall’s first-year head football coach. “These additions will help improve the gameday experience for all fans and make gameday here in Huntington an elite experience for everyone.”

The Sept. 11 regular season home opener will be broadcast by ESPN+. The Thundering Herd will also host East Carolina (Saturday, Sept. 18), Old Dominion (Saturday, Oct. 9), FIU (Saturday, Oct. 30), UAB (Saturday, Nov. 13) and WKU (Saturday, Nov. 27).

Reactions: caliherd
I have been very critical of our overall gameday experience over the years, so it is good to see the new administration trying to make some improvements. I don't view any of this as shooting for the moon, but rather taking an incremental step forward (which is fine). Let's keep improving the fan experience every year and not fall into the old "well, this is what we always do" trap.

My campaign for decent restrooms, a coat of paint, and the removal/upgrading of the chain link jail fence around the concourse will continue.

Other than re entry which I’ll never understand. These look great . Kudos to the aThere tic department!!
Because if they came up with a "no re-entry" policy are spoiled baby fans would pout and never come in. We already have far too many that stay in the lots watching the game on a satellite dish(I will never understand that).

I have been very critical of our overall gameday experience over the years, so it is good to see the new administration trying to make some improvements. I don't view any of this as shooting for the moon, but rather taking an incremental step forward (which is fine). Let's keep improving the fan experience every year and not fall into the old "well, this is what we always do" trap.

My campaign for decent restrooms, a coat of paint, and the removal/upgrading of the chain link jail fence around the concourse will continue.
What you would you do with the fence. I am genuinely curious.

It may be as simple as replacement with new better looking fencing... Obviously we have to keep out the hoards of people who would try to enter the stadium without tickets for football games, but the current chain link is rusted and has a cheap/juvenile detention center feel to it.

If all Marshall did was remove/cover up rust and vacuum up dust bunnies, it would improve the presentation 1,000%. I can honestly say there is nothing they could add to the gameday experience that would affect my attitude toward Marshall athletics more than a clean presentation.

If I could change one thing it's the facade of the concourse walls in the endzone. Instead of the sea green paint or even fresh paint we put some kind of stone there. That wall of that upper tier is just nasty and it looks horrible. If they hung stone there it would look so much better. If I had the money I'd write them a check and pay for it myself. That's how bad I hate it. Unfortunately I do not have that ability.

web1_4.21-MU-Stadium.jpg

With you on those

If I could change one thing it's the facade of the concourse walls in the endzone. Instead of the sea green paint or even fresh paint we put some kind of stone there. That wall of that upper tier is just nasty and it looks horrible. If they hung stone there it would look so much better. If I had the money I'd write them a check and pay for it myself. That's how bad I hate it. Unfortunately I do not have that ability.

web1_4.21-MU-Stadium.jpg

man the walkways and upper seating are having the same issue matching greens as Herd fans do

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
man the walkways and upper seating are having the same issue matching greens as Herd fans do
You can paint it every year and after a couple months the sun makes it a sea green. That's why I like the idea of a stone facade.

IMHO, on the east side, the fence should be removed and just have fences on the ends, using the IPF’s outside wall as the barrier. This would double the understand space. On the other side, likewise just move the fence out about 20 feet and pave the area. We lose a few parking spots, but we hardly sell all of them anyway. We need more understand space.

As to the rest of this, the street fair is OK, but, again, we don’t come close to selling all the parking spots so an area in the lot could have been freed up. The fireworks are nice. The rest is NBD.

IMHO, on the east side, the fence should be removed and just have fences on the ends, using the IPF’s outside wall as the barrier. This would double the understand space. On the other side, likewise just move the fence out about 20 feet and pave the area. We lose a few parking spots, but we hardly sell all of them anyway. We need more understand space.

As to the rest of this, the street fair is OK, but, again, we don’t come close to selling all the parking spots so an area in the lot could have been freed up. The fireworks are nice. The rest is NBD.

I agree it would be nice expand the concourse on both sides. As far as not coming close to selling al the spots, are you just making things up in every post today?? all lots around the stadium are sold out or wait list.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
I agree it would be nice expand the concourse on both sides. As far as not coming close to selling al the spots, are you just making things up in every post today?? all lots around the stadium are sold out or wait list.
Then how come at least a third of the spots are empty, every game? Just walk through the lot, any game, and there are plenty of empties. Dozens.

• Wow
Reactions: ru4_mu2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT