ADVERTISEMENT

Herd vs UConn in Myrtle Beach

I can see why they made us the road team. We would be on the side opposite the press box so crowd shots would be of our side mainly. It will look a lot more full from that perspective. Doubt UConn bring more than 1,000 fans.
I read on the UConn board they are confident they can sell their allotment of 8,000 seats, but they know a majority of those won't make the trip, they'll buy donation tickets.

Since the stadium holds 20,000... Im guessing they get 8k, we get 8k, and the sponsors/corporate donors/host site people, etc. keep and distribute 4k.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I read on the UConn board they are confident they can sell their allotment of 8,000 seats, but they know a majority of those won't make the trip, they'll buy donation tickets.

Since the stadium holds 20,000... Im guessing they get 8k, we get 8k, and the sponsors/corporate donors/host site people, etc. keep and distribute 4k.
Thats about right, and unless Marshall fans make up 15K butts in the seats, there will be a ton of empty chairs

Last years attendance was 6557 to watch ODU play Tulsa. I'd say this game will top that easily.
If UConn brings 2,500, we bring 6,000, and 1,500 sponsor ticket folks show up that would be 10,000... I think we can get to that number for sure. If its a good weather day we might be able to do a little better, but I would guess 50-60 percent full stadium.

It's very difficult to expand interest in games like this beyond each team's fanbase. Think of it this way. If Florida International were facing off against Ball State in the Huntington Bowl, how many local residents do you think would take the afternoon off work, and flock over to the stadium to watch in person? This same scenario plays out across the nation for probably 70-75% of all bowl games. 41 bowls, 42 bowls? Lost track, but there's too damn many, but I'll have to admit it's good for business when you're doing a bowl pick'em contest.

I predict 12,941 fans in attendance, which isn't a bad number if the stadium only sits 20,000. Sounds like it's about the same size of Laidley Field in Charleston, or whatever they call it these days, albeit probably 50x nicer.

It's very difficult to expand interest in games like this beyond each team's fanbase. Think of it this way. If Florida International were facing off against Ball State in the Huntington Bowl, how many local residents do you think would take the afternoon off work, and flock over to the stadium to watch in person? This same scenario plays out across the nation for probably 70-75% of all bowl games. 41 bowls, 42 bowls? Lost track, but there's too damn many, but I'll have to admit it's good for business when you're doing a bowl pick'em contest.

I predict 12,941 fans in attendance, which isn't a bad number if the stadium only sits 20,000. Sounds like it's about the same size of Laidley Field in Charleston, or whatever they call it these days, albeit probably 50x nicer.
This is where Myrtle Beach should capitalize on its demographics... There are plenty of retirees in Myrtle/Conway that would come out for some football (on a good weather day) if you tossed in some shrimp dinner coupons, a pre-game pancake breakfast, etc.

This is where Myrtle Beach should capitalize on its demographics... There are plenty of retirees in Myrtle/Conway that would come out for some football (on a good weather day) if you tossed in some shrimp dinner coupons, a pre-game pancake breakfast, etc.
I know a few of those retirees who have moved down to MB (from West Virgina).

Their routine:

Wake up around 5 in the morning, and perform their morning workout, which is walking to the kitchen to get their coffee, and open up the door to let the dog out.

Eat high fiber cereal at 6, drink another cup of coffee, spend an hour in the toilet, and then head out to golf with the rest of the old farts.

Drink two beers after golf, go home for lunch, which consist of a ham sandwich and potato salad. 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock is reserved for sitting in the recliner and napping.

Wake up late afternoon, and constantly scroll through the channels with their remote until dinner time, which occurs right around 5 o'clock.

Eat, workout again by going to the kitchen to get a couple scoops of ice cream, watch the evening news, wheel of fortune, and jeopardy.

Put the teeth in a glass by the bed side table, put on their CPAP mask, and sleep.

Next day, do it all over again.

Their routine:

Wake up around 5 in the morning, and perform their morning workout, which is walking to the kitchen to get their coffee, and open up the door to let the dog out.

Eat high fiber cereal at 6, drink another cup of coffee, spend an hour in the toilet, and then head out to golf with the rest of the old farts.

Drink two beers after golf, go home for lunch, which consist of a ham sandwich and potato salad. 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock is reserved for sitting in the recliner and napping.

Wake up late afternoon, and constantly scroll through the channels with their remote until dinner time, which occurs right around 5 o'clock.

Eat, workout again by going to the kitchen to get a couple scoops of ice cream, watch the evening news, wheel of fortune, and jeopardy.

Put the teeth in a glass by the bed side table, put on their CPAP mask, and sleep.

If you add "make false and meaningless comments" you could really just put this whole thing under Sam C's bio

So I made the last minute decision to buy tickets to the game....surprisingly there isn't much left on the Marshall side of the stadium and Herdzone is not directing to the Bowl site for ticket purchases. Anybody have any extra sideline seats? Recommendations on a place to buy two? I could probably just buy tickets when I get there and get better seats than what is available online currently.

So I made the last minute decision to buy tickets to the game....surprisingly there isn't much left on the Marshall side of the stadium and Herdzone is not directing to the Bowl site for ticket purchases. Anybody have any extra sideline seats? Recommendations on a place to buy two? I could probably just buy tickets when I get there and get better seats than what is available online currently.
I bought two through Herdzone previously but found out this morning that my parents want to come along, I jumped on Stubhub and bought two in the second deck for $20 each... Looks now like the cheapest tickets are $32 on there... Im fairly confident that even if the game "sells out" the actual attendance will not be anywhere near capacity (UConn people buying tickets but not actually coming to the game), so you should be able to sit around other MU people.

The fans will show up, let's hope the team will as well. Sorta shocked we haven't heard anything about someone sitting out the bowl game.

After the Bowling Green and Troy fiascos, there were many fans (including myself) that wondered if we would win another game. Now we act like we should be playing LSU in the Cotton Bowl. Fans, you have to love them.

Odd that losing yo a 11-2 conference champ by 9 on the road would be classified as a “fiasco”

Reactions: 19MU88
Odd that losing yo a 11-2 conference champ by 9 on the road would be classified as a “fiasco”
They weren’t the champs when we played them and we didn’t even push our scoring to double digits. I still consider that a “ fiasco.”

Troy ended up being better than everybody thought....Bowling Green and Louisiana were bad losses.

Now...back to the subject at hand....anybody else have thoughts on tickets?

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
ECU was never an option from what I've heard over the past week... We open next season with them and neither school (nor ESPN apparently) was really into a back-to-back, which I totally understand.

The options for Marshall, like was pointed out above we were 4th in the SBC pecking order, were the Lending Tree Bowl vs. 5-7 Rice (Better time slot, worse location for fans, worse opponent), New Orleans vs. Western Kentucky (Better matchup, worse location for fans, shitty 9:30 p.m. on a Wednesday time slot), or Myrtle Beach where we ended up.

Take Monday off work, head down to Myrtle on Friday and make a long weekend out of it... Hope for good weather... And bring home a bowl trophy... It could be worse.

Their routine:

Damn, it’s like you are watching my every move through the gramps cam. 😁

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'll just offer a different perspective. In 1994 when YSU played Boise in the 1AA Championship game, the attendance was 27K and change. Do you think it was because it was a national title game that Huntingtonians came out to watch? Because I cant imagine Boise bringing very many or Youngstown bringing more that 6k or so. I would be very wrong though. I'm just curious as to what you think.

I have 2 available.

Section 124 Row L. $150 for both.

• Haha
Reactions: putnam green
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'll just offer a different perspective. In 1994 when YSU played Boise in the 1AA Championship game, the attendance was 27K and change. Do you think it was because it was a national title game that Huntingtonians came out to watch? Because I cant imagine Boise bringing very many or Youngstown bringing more that 6k or so. I would be very wrong though. I'm just curious as to what you think.
The ANNOUNCED attendance was 27K. Back in the I-AA era, the championship game ticket was included in season ticket packages, no choice and no matter if MU played in it or not. That is how it worked. For the playoffs, every week, you had to go down to the ticket office and shell out money for a ticket, but the championship ticket you bought pre-season as a part of the season ticket package.

When MU lost the semi-finals, MU announced a deal where you could “donate” your ticket. You went by the ticket office and they gave you a tax receipt for the donation and they supposedly were giving the tickets to poor kids. They really just tossed them. This somehow allowed them to count the tickets as used. Actual attendance was maybe 12K.

IIRC, Marshall fans had to buy a package of tickets, which included the NCG. I can't imagine that I would have bought a ticket and driven 2 hours to watch a game that didn't involve MU after having gone to Boise the previous week. But I could be wrong.

ECU was never an option from what I've heard over the past week... We open next season with them and neither school (nor ESPN apparently) was really into a back-to-back, which I totally understand.

The options for Marshall, like was pointed out above we were 4th in the SBC pecking order, were the Lending Tree Bowl vs. 5-7 Rice (Better time slot, worse location for fans, worse opponent), New Orleans vs. Western Kentucky (Better matchup, worse location for fans, shitty 9:30 p.m. on a Wednesday time slot), or Myrtle Beach where we ended up.

Take Monday off work, head down to Myrtle on Friday and make a long weekend out of it... Hope for good weather... And bring home a bowl trophy... It could be worse.
Sure, being the only game on Monday matters…if it wasn’t 2:00pm EST. So the game will end just after 5pm eastern/ 2 pacific. outside of Marshall and UConn fans (all 100,000) of us are going to skip work to watch this!?
It’s a terrible time slot for our bowl game. The majority of fans can’t get down to Myrtle for 4 days right before Christmas. No one outside of our footprint is going to watch this game.

Sure, being the only game on Monday matters…if it wasn’t 2:00pm EST. So the game will end just after 5pm eastern/ 2 pacific. outside of Marshall and UConn fans (all 100,000) of us are going to skip work to watch this!?
It’s a terrible time slot for our bowl game. The majority of fans can’t get down to Myrtle for 4 days right before Christmas. No one outside of our footprint is going to watch this game.
I agree the time slot sucks, but the other two options available to us weren't any better... The Lending Tree Bowl is on a Saturday, which is great, but do you want to play 5-7 CUSA foe Rice in a wilting old south city that no fans are going to go to?

The New Orleans Bowl, which we played in last year, is on the Wednesday before Christmas at 9:30 p.m. against another former CUSA "rival." No one outside our schools footprint was going to be staying up til 1 a.m. watching that one either.

Considering how few tickets are left for our bowl game (and yes I know a lot of people buy "donation" tickets and don't show up for bowl games) it shows that Myrtle Beach is a bowl site that suits us as a fanbase. We will have a much better showing Monday than we had in Fort Worth, New Mexico, St. Petersburg, etc.

Jim Mora is a quality coach. His presence will make this a competitive game.

EVERY loss is a fiasco if you are not someone, like yourself, who accepts mediocrity. Describing the team’s mid season failures by any other name is delusional.

They weren’t the champs when we played them and we didn’t even push our scoring to double digits. I still consider that a “ fiasco.”

When your starting QB only passes for 49 yards it's a fiasco. Troy is good, but they aren't that good.

May have been 8-9 k at most in the stadium for that game. I was one of them.

Picture of team arriving. Chartered Allegiant plane? Really? Allegiant? They are uncomfortable for normal sized people. Thin seats, squeeze in extra rows by killing the leg room. Can’t imagine how a lineman fits in a seat. We couldn’t pop for a mainline carrier?

Picture of team arriving. Chartered Allegiant plane? Really? Allegiant? They are uncomfortable for normal sized people. Thin seats, squeeze in extra rows by killing the leg room. Can’t imagine how a lineman fits in a seat. We couldn’t pop for a mainline carrier?
I’ve been on Allegiant flights with an entire 3’ in front of me

The good news is the flight time is all of about an hour and 20 mins... No worse than being on a bus.

May have been 8-9 k at most in the stadium for that game. I was one of them.

Wait. Are you saying there was only 8 or 9’k at the Boise Youngstown championship game in Huntington ???

I would have to see pictures. Because I was there too and I don’t remember it being that way. That was a very nice crowd.

Wait. Are you saying there was only 8 or 9’k at the Boise Youngstown championship game in Huntington ???

I would have to see pictures. Because I was there too and I don’t remember it being that way. That was a very nice crowd.
Yeah, I don't either and I was there as well. Several shots show East side packed. I remember the West being the same.

Ok. So I’m not losing my mind. Geez that east side was completely full.

I know I was on the top row of the west side to the right of the press box. Ticked off that I was there and we weren’t playing haha. But didn’t they make us buy our championship tickets before the semis?

There’s Actually video of the entire cbs broadcast of the game on you tube and the crowd looks pretty large to me. Definitely way more than 8 or 9 K

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT