ADVERTISEMENT

Home Football Game Means

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Rain. Seriously. Long range for next Saturday’s home game with Georgia State. Slight chance now and a week away and cool temps for an afternoon game. Fingers crossed that no rain and warmer temperatures.

It can't be any worse than last week... The second half against App was damn cold and that drizzle just wouldn't quit all the way.

Mother Nature has not done us any favors this season. It's been unseasonably cold/raining all year.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Where did you get that forecast, the day looking great for the end of November football game.....​

Sat 26 | Day​

42°

24%
WSW 11 mph
Cloudy skies. High 42F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
  • Humidity72%
  • UV Index2 of 10
  • Sunrise7:22 am
  • Sunset5:10 pm

Sat 26 | Night​

32°

24%
WSW 9 mph
Considerable cloudiness. Low 32F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
  • Humidity77%
  • UV Index0 of 10
  • Moonrise10:36 am
    Waxing Crescent
  • Moonset7:45 pm

It can't be any worse than last week... The second half against App was damn cold and that drizzle just wouldn't quit all the way.

Mother Nature has not done us any favors this season. It's been unseasonably cold/raining all year.
I got one of these for my birthday and stayed nice and toasty all game long. The best thing about this vest is it uses their M12 battery instead of generic battery packs like the other heated garmets do. More power, longer life, and the batteries are much easier to get.

Milwaukee Men's Large M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless AXIS Black Heated Quilted Vest (Vest Only)
SKU# 320271342

Reactions: RhinoD

Where did you get that forecast, the day looking great for the end of November football game.....​

Sat 26 | Day​

42°

24%
WSW 11 mph
Cloudy skies. High 42F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
  • Humidity72%
  • UV Index2 of 10
  • Sunrise7:22 am
  • Sunset5:10 pm

Sat 26 | Night​

32°

24%
WSW 9 mph
Considerable cloudiness. Low 32F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
  • Humidity77%
  • UV Index0 of 10
  • Moonrise10:36 am
    Waxing Crescent
  • Moonset7:45 pm
Yes it has now improved

giphy.gif

What will be the BIGGEST factor on the crowd size at the JOAN at noon on Saturday, November 26th, (a) the WEATHER or (b) the AAA playoff game at 1:30 pm on Saturday between #2 Huntington High School and #3 Martinsburg HS at the HHS stadium??

What will be the BIGGEST factor on the crowd size at the JOAN at noon on Saturday, November 26th, (a) the WEATHER or (b) the AAA playoff game at 1:30 pm on Saturday between #2 Huntington High School and #3 Martinsburg HS at the HHS stadium??
(c)?

hope the weather changes - looks like 60% chance of rain at 50 degrees. The weather for home games this year has not been good!

Two days after Thanksgiving, one day after Black Friday, same day as high school playoffs, students on break. Rumor is the concession stands are only cooking 50 hots and they fear that might be too many.

It is on pay internet, which is not exactly TV, But anyway EVERY GAME PLAYED in Division I-A this year has been on some form of video, TV, free internet or pay internet. EVERY ONE.

The sixties are over, it was in all the papers.
If it was in all the papers, the 60's ain't over lol.

hope the weather changes - looks like 60% chance of rain at 50 degrees. The weather for home games this year has not been good!
MU football is a "mudder"... We look our best in crappy conditions.

I have Thanksgiving Family plans in Carolina. I sent my 2 football season tickets to my brother in WV...or I would be present Saturday! Get your BUTTS in the SEATS! I watched the basketball game last night (ESPN +). It looked like about 3300 fans at best! Note: I recall when The CAM was packed for "any" opponent that visited Huntington!!! I am aware the students are on Thanksgiving break.....but for the love of John Marshall.....why are fans not in The Cam????......Danny has a good product on the court! The players DESERVE MORE from the folks in/near Huntington!

I have Thanksgiving Family plans in Carolina. I sent my 2 football season tickets to my brother in WV...or I would be present Saturday! Get your BUTTS in the SEATS! I watched the basketball game last night (ESPN +). It looked like about 3300 fans at best! Note: I recall when The CAM was packed for "any" opponent that visited Huntington!!! I am aware the students are on Thanksgiving break.....but for the love of John Marshall.....why are fans not in The Cam????......Danny has a good product on the court! The players DESERVE MORE from the folks in/near Huntington!
Ive been around MU basketball for 20 years, drawing 3,000 fans on a Monday night for a no-name opponent is, and has been, the norm over the past two decades... We can debate the quality of the product another time.

Good lord, this shouldn't ever be a factor.
HHS won't seat enough to make a dent in MU's attendance. You also have the collective of every other HS in the area who isn't in the AAA championship game, who'd more than make up the difference.

Weather shouldn't be a factor either. Same with the idiots who post complaints about how cold it is. It has been this way since humans existed and somehow everyone forgets it is cold and rainy this time of the year.
But then again, older fans brag about their dedication to the program after the crash but shelter in place if a drop of rain falls or the temp is below 40°.
Just be there Saturday...

The same for Doc and football (in more ways than what I'm about to say).
People looked at the schedule and demanded a more notable opponent.

No, Danny really doesn’t have a good product on the court. He has a team that lost to a de facto D2 preacher college and which is now playing one of the absolute weakest schedules in the country. This is a community that knows basketball and cannot be fooled. People understand that these teams are crap and most understand, and all will soon enough, that SBC basketball is 80 to 90% crap teams as well. DD is a .500 coach. The teams we play are crap.
Good lord, this shouldn't ever be a factor.
HHS won't seat enough to make a dent in MU's attendance.
True. But, remember that in WV, the visitors pick the time, and there was a time that, even for the eastern panhandle teams, MU would call a guy in Charleston and the word would get down to the HS coach that he wasn’t picking a time against MU.

WVU did the same thing, for the whole north central part of the state, In fact, since the home team picks the venue, WVU would let teams play at the Puss rent free, meaning the game had to be on Friday night, since the stadium was unavailable on Saturday.

No, Danny really doesn’t have a good product on the court. He has a team that lost to a de facto D2 preacher college and which is now playing one of the absolute weakest schedules in the country. This is a community that knows basketball and cannot be fooled. People understand that these teams are crap and most understand, and all will soon enough, that SBC basketball is 80 to 90% crap teams as well. DD is a .500 coach. The teams we play are crap.
Hamrick and Doc are gone. I know that it hurts, but taking out your anger on others will get you nowhere.

I'll say this. I was at the MU v Chicago St. game. The students do not show up anymore. Even if some of you say its because of holidays. No, it isn't. They don't show up at all, for any sports. No school spirit anymore. My co-worker today asked me this question "What happens in ten years when all the fanbase ( fans between 50-70) stop coming due to age?" When I Looked around the stands on Monday night, there was not a demographic of fans in the 16-30 range. Nowhere to be seen. Its pretty scary tbh. It affects the quality of recruits whether the students know it or not. Half empty stands with only the die hard fan base is seen by new recruits. Great fans, but not electric youth the players want to see. I was around for the glory years as a kid. I want to see Marshall be great like I used to. I want to see the stands packed like I used to. But this younger generation, didn't see the glory days. They don't know what its like to be a championship team. They don't want to wait in line for anything. Its not cool to be there for support for a struggling team. They can't bring themselves to sacrifice three hours of their life to cold weather, or rain. They can't cheer for a team unless they are winners. They are soft. Just drive down 5th Ave before a game. Nobody is tailgating at the frat houses anymore. Must be too far a walk to the stadium. Maybe it rained the day before. Supporting your ALMA MATER is why you go. Supporting your friends, who may be on the field. Remembering the 75, the ones that can't be there. If they knew why it was so important to be a fan, maybe they would show up. When I go to the games in the cold I think to myself, how thankful I am to be able to attend. How small of a thing it is I am there, the spec on the video screen in someone's home.. But I'm there for the 75. I'm there for my dad, RIP. I'm there for my friends. I'm there for the players. I'm there, because I am Son of Marshall.

Last edited:
I'll say this. I was at the MU v Chicago St. game. The students do not show up anymore. Even if some of you say its because of holidays. No, it isn't. They don't show up at all, for any sports....
The sad thing is the apathy goes way beyond just sports... What are we going to do as a society when the most entitled, self-centered, arrogant, generation of people become adults? -- I don't know, but we are going to find out in the next 5-10 years (and I say that as a step-dad of 3 current teenagers).

As for MU athletics, basketball has not had a following in 20+ years. I remember my buddies and I would walk over from the dorm during the Jirsa years and wander down into the first 5-10 rows of seats. There were never more than a few dozen students at the games (not counting the pep band and cheerleaders).

Football used to pack students in, but now it barely draws any. Especially at the end of the year when the weather is questionable... The first 2-3 home games you can get the students out with giveaways, pregame concerts, a student beer garden, etc. Once it drops below 60-65 degrees, forget it.

Reactions: Sunshine2269
It doesn’t matter in the “big picture” how old you are, or if you went to Marshall, or if there is something else going on, like a competing high school game, or anything else that will determine the size of the crowd. Everyone has their own personal priorities for what they will be doing at game time. Nobody has any obligation to do anything , nor should they, if they don’t want to. Whether you are the Cincinnati Reds, the New England Patriots or anyone else, the responsibility is yours to create the desire to show up, by winning or at least being exciting enough to make your fans show up. Nothing else!

Marshall's attitude toward fans has always been - donate, buy tix, and STFU. That's why things are the way they are. No attempts to reach out and build the fan base, no attempts to make a connection with the students.
I dread to see what our attendance will look like in 5-10 years. Hell, by that time, Huntington may have 30K people, with more than half living in recovery houses.

Marshall's attitude toward fans has always been - donate, buy tix, and STFU. That's why things are the way they are. No attempts to reach out and build the fan base, no attempts to make a connection with the students.
I dread to see what our attendance will look like in 5-10 years. Hell, by that time, Huntington may have 30K people, with more than half living in recovery houses.
so just a few emails and phone calls, maybe a bill board or two and those fans will start pouring in? I agree, a strategy needs to be in place and something needs to be done but just reaching out isn't going to do it.

No, you are wrong. Mike Hamrick, one time, had the attitude of donate and buy tickets then we can talk. And that was after being pressed against the wall over and over.

Fact remains, Marshall fans as a whole scream and cry over a lot of stuff. They want change. They promise that if change is made, they will come back. Then they never do. Because the change wasnt done the way they wanted, or the person they wanted wasnt chosen etc.

Now, does that happen with all fan bases? Probably, but this is the only fan base I follow and care about.

What I have realized over the past couple years is there is simply no answer.

Giveaways, lower tickets, commercials, etc, etc, etc, none of that works. Winning games? Only works if we are winning games in an entertaining fashion. When we were scoring a ton of points, fans ripped on our defense. Now our defense is incredible, we are winning games, but the offense is boring.

There is no way to satisfy people. I feel sorry for the folks that are in charge of making it happen.

No, you are wrong. Mike Hamrick, one time, had the attitude of donate and buy tickets then we can talk. And that was after being pressed against the wall over and over.

Fact remains, Marshall fans as a whole scream and cry over a lot of stuff. They want change. They promise that if change is made, they will come back. Then they never do. Because the change wasnt done the way they wanted, or the person they wanted wasnt chosen etc.

Now, does that happen with all fan bases? Probably, but this is the only fan base I follow and care about.

What I have realized over the past couple years is there is simply no answer.

Giveaways, lower tickets, commercials, etc, etc, etc, none of that works. Winning games? Only works if we are winning games in an entertaining fashion. When we were scoring a ton of points, fans ripped on our defense. Now our defense is incredible, we are winning games, but the offense is boring.

There is no way to satisfy people. I feel sorry for the folks that are in charge of making it happen.
You have your opinion and I have mine. I am not wrong. I'll say Marshall does a solid job of communicating with donors and BG members, we get the emails, and such. It's the average fans they need to really focus on - they need to make a hard push in this area. Those of us who on the boards, donors, etc - have bought in. We don't need coddled. As to the students, it is an issue, they need to do something. We can both agree, it is not easy but they better bust their ass and try. Look at what other schools are doing, big and small. See what works and what doesn't. Hopefully Spears has some ideas. The new blood was needed. Our fan base is dwindling due to several factors. Hell, I sit in 211 at the Cam. As I said in another post, I may be the second or third youngest in the whole section, and I am 60. That's not good.

Reactions: ru4_mu2 and RhinoD
People are easy to satisfy. Present company excepted, Marshall fans are sophisticated and knowledgeable about both football and basketball. They know what this team is and who it should and shouldn’t beat. WIN GAMES. Play teams that matter. That is all people want in either sport.

People are easy to satisfy. Present company excepted, Marshall fans are sophisticated and knowledgeable about both football and basketball. They know what this team is and who it should and shouldn’t beat. WIN GAMES. Play teams that matter. That is all people want in either sport.
This x 1,000

If you were at the Notre Dame game, you had a glimpse of what Marshall football can be... We showed extremely well for ourselves as a road team in terms of attendance, even with the considerable drive time. There were more MU fans at that game, seven hours from Huntington, then there have been at a couple of our home games this season (actual butts in seats).

Next year fans will pack the Joan for Virginia Tech and we will have a very strong contingent for NC State, given our big alumni presence in the Carolinas.

Fans can get behind coming to the games when we play our "new rivals" App, JMU, Coastal... As long as the team is decent and the weather isn't total garbage... Fans, excluding the 60-70 diehards on here, are not going to go out of their way to watch Norfolk State, Gardner Webb, or any of the MAC/CUSA/SBC bottom feeders. They just aren't.

As for basketball, play anyone with a pulse. This year's schedule isn't just weak, it's embarrassing. We are 4-1 and haven't beaten a team in the TOP 250 in RPI.

Fans, excluding the 60-70 diehards on here, are not going to go out of their way to watch Norfolk State, Gardner Webb, or any of the MAC/CUSA/SBC bottom feeders. They just aren't.
And this is why we will never be a top tier program. We are a fanbase of "too's": It's too cold, too wet, too old, too poor, too boring, too expensive, stadium bathrooms too dirty, ran out of hot dogs too early, band is too small, stadium is too far....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT