ADVERTISEMENT

Huntington is a sh*thole.

ThunderCat98

Platinum Buffalo
Jun 23, 2007
Started a thread on the main board about my trip to Huntington this weekend. Thought I would move the topic here to see if I could get some additional thoughts/input.

Went to the game this weekend. My first since the collapse against ECU. Terrible football aside, what the hell has happened to Huntington? Everything outside of campus looked rundown and dirty. There were homeless people with shopping carts full of trash everywhere downtown. Campus and the area surrounding the stadium smelled like raw sewage.

Huntington has always had its problems, but it was disgusting. Won't be going back anytime soon. There's no way in hell I'd let my kids go to school there.

Did we just have a bad experience, or is this the new norm?

All cities, small or large, or shitholes. Pretty much if you have 20,000 or more, and the population contains a mixed bag of beans, then put them in the skillet and cook yourself a turd.

Call Steve Williams and tell him we need more drug houses. That'll do the trick.

Hell, I was in St. Louis last week for a meeting. That place is a run down, nasty town. I'll take Huntington. I was shocked driving from Lambert into downtown how many burned out, ran sacked, sub standard houses lined the highway. I was looking to see if any place had Honky Lips written on it. Not many places are immune to a nasty area, homelessness, drugs, these days.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
No, but it didn't seem quite as bad. It's like the city has deteriorated significantly over the last year.
I dont think its really any worse. Granted, I usually stay on the Southside when I come into town now. I drove through my old neighborhood in the east end this trip. I haven't done that in a while...It was surprisingly not as bad as I had seen it in years past.

1. The stink is no rain, there's dried up shit in the sewers. It's every city in this region, hopefully here the half inch of rain yesterday will help, not sure what Huntington got.

2. Rust Belt cities are late stage capitalism in action. Predicting this is the one thing Marxists got right, but their solutions are garbage. Not that I have the solutions either...bigger cities can reinvent themselves, but cities the size of Huntington are probably screwed. Fixing global trade would help, but man the brain drain in WV has been tremendous.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I just walked a few blocks downtown and not a whiff of any bad smells... but it did finally rain last night.

Things got a little rough around 2016-2017 but things seem to have been steadily improving since. A lot more local dining and entertainment options. There has been a significant drop in the druggies just wondering around. They've also torn down a ton of dilapidated houses/buildings.

Of course it has it problems, like literally every city big or small, but Huntington has definitely been on an upswing.

It is sad that the industries that made Huntington prosperous are now gone or dying, but the city does still have potential.
There has been some revival in the downtown area, Ritter Park is an attractive area, the Huntington Museum is probably the best in the state, and of course there is Marshall.
My dream would be to see Huntington as a technical/medical/research region with Marshall as its hub.

Started a thread on the main board about my trip to Huntington this weekend. Thought I would move the topic here to see if I could get some additional thoughts/input.

Went to the game this weekend. My first since the collapse against ECU. Terrible football aside, what the hell has happened to Huntington? Everything outside of campus looked rundown and dirty. There were homeless people with shopping carts full of trash everywhere downtown. Campus and the area surrounding the stadium smelled like raw sewage.

Huntington has always had its problems, but it was disgusting. Won't be going back anytime soon. There's no way in hell I'd let my kids go to school there.

Did we just have a bad experience, or is this the new norm?
Like most cities it is run by Democrats. Let's be honest. The cities of America are turning into shitholes. Next Dems will ruin the suburbs.

Everything they touch turns to shit and it soon will smell like it.

Hate to be blunt but, look at the cities.

1. The stink is no rain, there's dried up shit in the sewers. It's every city in this region, hopefully here the half inch of rain yesterday will help, not sure what Huntington got.

2. Rust Belt cities are late stage capitalism in action. Predicting this is the one thing Marxists got right, but their solutions are garbage. Not that I have the solutions either...bigger cities can reinvent themselves, but cities the size of Huntington are probably screwed. Fixing global trade would help, but man the brain drain in WV has been tremendous.
NC is turning into California. Just give it time. Getting expensive, getting liberal in the major metro areas and burbs. It won't be the affordable place it once was. GA same way.

I won't stay in NC. Why? Because it is turning into California. I probably wouldn't move here again. Gettting too expesnive and the libs just ruin it. Don't go to Charlotte much anymore but, people tell me it is turning into a shit hole. Raleigh will be an over priced tech valley soon.

I hope SC can hang on and I go down there one day or maybe Florida if they can keep guys liek DeSantis running things. GA? ruined. VA? ruined. WV? Too darn depressing now. If Montana was near the ocean and warmer I might go there.

I actually went to the grocery store to pick up some beer and some stuff the the other day and there are still turds wearing masks around here. Damn liberals.

Last edited:
NC is turning into California. Just give it time. Getting expensive, getting liberal in the major metro areas and burbs. It won't be the affordable place it once was. GA same way.

I won't stay in NC. Why? Because it is turning into California. I probably wouldn't move here again. Gettting too expesnive and the libs just ruin it. Don't go to Charlotte much anymore but, people tell me it is turning into a shit hole. Raleigh will be an over priced tech valley soon.

I hope SC can hang on and I go down there one day or maybe Florida if they can keep guys liek DeSantis running things. GA? ruined. VA? ruined. WV? Too darn depressing now. If Montana was near the ocean and warmer I might go there.

I actually went to the grocery store to pick up some beer and some stuff the the other day and there are still turds wearing masks around here. Damn liberals.
If some libs are enough to make you leave a place with a fair climate and great economy, go for it. Just understand that you will likely make less money, and play golf on shittier courses.

SC? Any decently populated area will have libs. Florida? Are you nuts??? MILLIONS of libs, and so densely populated you can't get away from them. You need to look at very rural places if this is what is important to you. But you mention WV is depressing, well that is what most of rural America is, boring and no economic development. You are addicted to the things a good sized city offers.

Oddly, you people claim I am a closet lib, but I am the one moving to very rural America.

You ever consider the people still wearing masks have health issues, or maybe a baby at home?

This is the problem…. People flee California etc and move to places like NC or NOVA. They don’t realize it was their shitty politics that caused the reason for them to leave in the first place and then bring those same shitty politics to their new state.

Leaving high ass everything? Move to NC but then vote Republican instead for a change and it can prevent being another California

Reactions: ThunderCat98
This is the problem…. People flee California etc and move to places like NC or NOVA. They don’t realize it was their shitty politics that caused the reason for them to leave in the first place and then bring those same shitty politics to their new state.

Leaving high ass everything? Move to NC but then vote Republican instead for a change and it can prevent being another California

Reactions: raleighherdfan
If some libs are enough to make you leave a place with a fair climate and great economy, go for it. Just understand that you will likely make less money, and play golf on shittier courses.

SC? Any decently populated area will have libs. Florida? Are you nuts??? MILLIONS of libs, and so densely populated you can't get away from them. You need to look at very rural places if this is what is important to you. But you mention WV is depressing, well that is what most of rural America is, boring and no economic development. You are addicted to the things a good sized city offers.

Oddly, you people claim I am a closet lib, but I am the one moving to very rural America.

You ever consider the people still wearing masks have health issues, or maybe a baby at home?
Damn right I am out of here. Can't take it forever. My wife is a teacher and she was listening to the local school board meeting this evening. 2 hours or more talking about gender equity, transgenders, etc. for over 2 damn hours. With all the damn problems in the world and they are talking about that crap, Liberalville. Get me out of here.

Florida are not these type libs. This is California left coast shit now. Northeast crap. Too expensive here and getting worse.

SC is way different than NC now. I hope it can hold on. My buddy who lives down in GA near Atlanta says they have done the same thing down there. Native and he wants the hell out of there. Mountains? Asheville NC is fruit cake city. Don't get me wrong NC has some great areas but, The Triangle and Charlotte are being ruined.

No, those people wear those masks because they are lunatics.

Some mothers don't want to pass any nasty germs to new infants, and it's flu and RSV season...and covid isn't exactly a walk in the park either. Masks might not be 100% effective, but it's better than nothing.
Are you serious? What? Haven't worn masks for 50,000 years and now they don't want to? It is a wonder they got pregnant to start with. What a bunch of stupid idiots.

You're not a closet lib. It's pretty much out in the open...

Your following posts are proof of that finishing with Asia good, US bad...

Some mothers don't want to pass any nasty germs to new infants, and it's flu and RSV season...and covid isn't exactly a walk in the park either. Masks might not be 100% effective, but it's better than nothing.

Not for me. Hell, Asians have been wearing masks since forever.

Haven't worn masks for 50,000 years
50k years??? Next time you are sick we will put the leeches on you. Maybe some bloodletting, and we will sacrifice a virgin so the Sun God will heal you.
Asia good, US bad...
That's really what you got out of that? You know what else the Asians were good about? Not using shitty cameras on vacation. I remember when it was a joke they would have these fancy 35 mm cameras on neck straps when they came to the US on vacation. Meanwhile Americans were taking the shittiest photos ever with an Instamatic.

So you think it is a bad idea to try some things to maybe not get an infant sick?

That's really what you got out of that? You know what else the Asians were good about? Not using shitty cameras on vacation. I remember when it was a joke they would have these fancy 35 mm cameras on neck straps when they came to the US on vacation. Meanwhile Americans were taking the shittiest photos ever with an Instamatic.

Back when we could still have a sense of humor a friend of mine who was 6'7" and couldn't dunk dressed for Halloween as a Japanese tourist, complete with 35 mm camera around his neck...😂

So you think it is a bad idea to try some things to maybe not get an infant sick?

I think natural immunity is the best option out there but I also know there are compromised immunity and other health issues that need special considerations.

Take for example peanut allergies. Had you ever heard of that before a few years ago? If it wasn't for PB I would have starved during childhood. Several years ago our local school district went overboard and made everything peanut free, including the football stadium.

This seems to have left the front page so to speak but I have asked a few people in the health care field about it. They seem to believe it is because of a lack of immune system development (a couple thought side effects of vaccinations). Kids today don't play outside and if they do it is on a rubber mat playground, don't eat dirt, don't drink out of a water hose, carry hand sanitizer on their backpacks, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I think natural immunity is the best option out there but I also know there are compromised immunity and other health issues that need special considerations.
Kids should get play outside, get dirty. They will get sick. But I totally understand if parents want to cut risks of giving one of the nastier viruses to an infant. I believe COVID has opened up some minds that there are little things we can do to better those odds. Like I said, not perfect, but every little bit helps. The little fvckers are going to get sick enough once they start pre-school.

And I never ate dirt, that's just weird. But I absolutely played in swollen creeks that in hindsight likely had sewage in them lol.

Reactions: KyMUfan
We didn't eat mudpies but getting tackled in a sandlot football game or sliding headfirst into third like Pete Rose did gave me a lot of mouthfuls of dirt...

We replaced sliding headfirst with participation trophies... No wonder the barista is crying in the bathroom...

"There is identical prohibition on a runner sliding head-first while advancing (in the Major division and below) in both Little League Softball and Little League Baseball."

And a link for you Raoul...

We didn't eat mudpies but getting tackled in a sandlot football game or sliding headfirst into third like Pete Rose did gave me a lot of mouthfuls of dirt...
So many violent wrecks in the woods riding BMX bikes 🤣 Things that should not break, like Diamond Back handlebars and Tuff Whee Il mags? Yeah, they can break, trust me.

• Haha
We replaced sliding headfirst with participation trophies... No wonder the barista is crying in the bathroom...

"There is identical prohibition on a runner sliding head-first while advancing (in the Major division and below) in both Little League Softball and Little League Baseball."

And a link for you Raoul...

Baseball hell, kickball was brutal. Catcher at home with the ball? Hit that motherfvcker like you were Jack Tatum, full speed. And that was in gym class, never mind how rough it got out in a field or a big back yard.

• Haha
I believe we may have isolated the issue.
59MYRY.gif

• Haha
Reactions: herdfan06
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT