ADVERTISEMENT

Idea for Myrtle Beach Bowl

You seem to lack basic English skills. I will help you.

A “take” is an argument. A viewpoint.

What you post isn’t anything. “End of story” and “because it should” are not arguments. They are the childish spew of a child like mind.

It does us no good to get our ass kicked by them in football for the umteenth time or blown out in b'ball like our last game. It's a no win for them. They know that. Move on.

Spears can schedule some good G5 and P5 to come here and get great interest and attendance.

You seem to lack basic English skills. I will help you.

A “take” is an argument. A viewpoint.

What you post isn’t anything. “End of story” and “because it should” are not arguments. They are the childish spew of a child like mind.

Maybe it is childish, and thats fine. Because I am talking about games...kids games played by older kids, and supported by adults who like to watch a game because in a way it reminds us of being kids.

So that is fine, this game should take place in all sports, every season.

It does us no good to get our ass kicked by them in football for the umteenth time or blown out in b'ball like our last game. It's a no win for them. They know that. Move on.

Spears can schedule some good G5 and P5 to come here and get great interest and attendance.

Really? He can schedule games that draw great interest? Who? What good G5 school is going to bring crowds here.

What G5 schools are going to cause an entire state to talk about one game the entire off season.

Sorry guys, ANY and ALL reasons given at any time to NOT play this game against this school is simply lame. LAME

Really? He can schedule games that draw great interest? Who? What good G5 school is going to bring crowds here.

What G5 schools are going to cause an entire state to talk about one game the entire off season.

Sorry guys, ANY and ALL reasons given at any time to NOT play this game against this school is simply lame. LAME
I am on the side that the games between the two schools being played (in all sports), but it takes two willing sides to want it. WVU obviously doesn't want to play football unless the games are played in Morgantown. WVU obviously doesn't want to play basketball, because, well Huggins is still the coach and he runs the roost up there in basketball. As for bringing in other high quality opponents, I don't think there's anybody else out there that can come in and automatically fill the football stadium, unless it's a big name opponent whose fans travel well. Obviously, WVU would be a sellout each and every time. I do believe there's G5 schools you could schedule that would draw 30,000 fans to a game (assuming it's not raining). Maybe teams like Boise or even Navy, but at the same time, it seems that 25,000 fans, give or take a couple thousand is your true ceiling when it comes to conference games and/or top G5 teams from other conferences. P5 teams like Va Tech, Pitt, Indiana, etc could get that number to 30,000 to maybe even 35,000, but more than likely, only WVU coming to down would sell it out, predicated on many fans showing up in the visitor colors, just as Marshall fans have greatly helped them sell out their home games with the Herd. Kentucky would be another name that could probably sell out the stadium.

Reactions: RhinoD

Your myopic fantasy land must be a fun place to reside... Think about the situation from WVU's perspective. There is Zero reason for them to play us in football. None. It's not like they are offering and we are saying "no thanks."

Next year we are playing VT at home, which will yield us the same sellout WVU would... And all of this is a moot point anyway, since our schedules are filled through 2027.

WVU has renewed the Backyard Brawl every year with Pitt, the have future series lined up with Penn State, Alabama and Tennessee... The rest of their schedules will be home games against FCS teams and bad MAC teams because those are essentially guaranteed wins they are going to need every year since they are going to be getting their asses kicked by the aforementioned real P5 teams.

We are not going to play WVU in football in the next 5 years, at least (more likely ever again).

The WVU vs Marshall ship has sailed its course. It is over with. Maybe it could happen again in basketball down the road. That seems more likely than football but, that won't happen as longs as the two coaches are in place at both schools.

Move on from it.

Last edited:

Spears can hopefully schedule Pitt. We've done Purdue, VaTech, UL. Don't see any reason we can't continue with those type games. I get what you are saying, but they aren't gonna schedule us. For us to keep bringing it up makes us sound like jilted school girls.

100 percent. There's plenty of teams to choose from in that regard. I don't care if we ever play WVU again. I used to think differently, but if the powers that be don't want to roll with it, then we move on.

I am on the side that the games between the two schools being played (in all sports), but it takes two willing sides to want it. WVU obviously doesn't want to play football unless the games are played in Morgantown. WVU obviously doesn't want to play basketball, because, well Huggins is still the coach and he runs the roost up there in basketball. As for bringing in other high quality opponents, I don't think there's anybody else out there that can come in and automatically fill the football stadium, unless it's a big name opponent whose fans travel well. Obviously, WVU would be a sellout each and every time. I do believe there's G5 schools you could schedule that would draw 30,000 fans to a game (assuming it's not raining). Maybe teams like Boise or even Navy, but at the same time, it seems that 25,000 fans, give or take a couple thousand is your true ceiling when it comes to conference games and/or top G5 teams from other conferences. P5 teams like Va Tech, Pitt, Indiana, etc could get that number to 30,000 to maybe even 35,000, but more than likely, only WVU coming to down would sell it out, predicated on many fans showing up in the visitor colors, just as Marshall fans have greatly helped them sell out their home games with the Herd. Kentucky would be another name that could probably sell out the stadium.
I too am for the games but I'm also for solving world hunger. WVU will never agree and very little we can do about it except move on.

Your myopic fantasy land must be a fun place to reside... Think about the situation from WVU's perspective. There is Zero reason for them to play us in football. None. It's not like they are offering and we are saying "no thanks."

Next year we are playing VT at home, which will yield us the same sellout WVU would... And all of this is a moot point anyway, since our schedules are filled through 2027.

WVU has renewed the Backyard Brawl every year with Pitt, the have future series lined up with Penn State, Alabama and Tennessee... The rest of their schedules will be home games against FCS teams and bad MAC teams because those are essentially guaranteed wins they are going to need every year since they are going to be getting their asses kicked by the aforementioned real P5 teams.

We are not going to play WVU in football in the next 5 years, at least (more likely ever again).
Can’t wait for Wells to throw TD passes to the green and white!

I have moved on from the two schools ever playing again. It is rather sad because almost every state I can think of has their two top dogs play one another: Virginia-Tech, NC-NC State, Florida-Florida State, Alabama-Auburn, S Cal, UCLA . . .
And it really has nothing to do with winning and losing. I believe I read where Kansas State once had a twenty two year losing streak to Kansas in basketball. Of course the reverse is true in football.

your opinion, although your own, is wrong.
NO!, the fact that we can beat the most storied program in all of college football in front of 77,622 fans in their stadium and millions more on TV, WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM WVU, proves me RIGHT! WE DON'T NEED WVU! PERIOD! Why don't you just quit your wvu obsession? It would make you a much better and happier person. You'd be better off being a chain smoking alcoholic with terminal cancer than being the wvu obsessed monster that you are. Just stop it for God's sake!

I have moved on from the two schools ever playing again. It is rather sad because almost every state I can think of has their two top dogs play one another: Virginia-Tech, NC-NC State, Florida-Florida State, Alabama-Auburn, S Cal, UCLA . . .
And it really has nothing to do with winning and losing. I believe I read where Kansas State once had a twenty two year losing streak to Kansas in basketball. Of course the reverse is true in football.
Difference being, those schools are all within a 'members-only' society known as P5. One can argue whether WVU belongs in such a society, but since they're a member of said society, they look down on Marshall, as they're not a member of the society. It's like the the maintenance people that work the grounds of the country club. Big feeling members can't be seen mingling amongst the poor sap that mows the fairway at dawn. Marshall is below WVU, and WVU cannot be seen mingling amongst them. No games for WVU, unless it's involving a sport where 300 or fewer people attend the event on a week day night.

NO!, the fact that we can beat the most storied program in all of college football in front of 77,622 fans in their stadium and millions more on TV, WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM WVU, proves me RIGHT! WE DON'T NEED WVU! PERIOD! Why don't you just quit your wvu obsession? It would make you a much better and happier person. You'd be better off being a chain smoking alcoholic with terminal cancer than being the wvu obsessed monster that you are. Just stop it for God's sake!
Funny you should mention the Notre Dame game. Posters on the Morgantown school board used that loss as an example as why our two schools should never play. That is part of the problem, they think they are Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Difference being, those schools are all within a 'members-only' society known as P5. One can argue whether WVU belongs in such a society, but since they're a member of said society, they look down on Marshall, as they're not a member of the society. It's like the the maintenance people that work the grounds of the country club. Big feeling members can't be seen mingling amongst the poor sap that mows the fairway at dawn. Marshall is below WVU, and WVU cannot be seen mingling amongst them. No games for WVU, unless it's involving a sport where 300 or fewer people attend the event on a week day night.
Great analogy. When I was working, I always enjoyed hanging out with the custodians and the cafeteria staff more than I did my other coworkers. They were way more fun. Not a bunch of tight asses.

Funny you should mention the Notre Dame game. Posters on the Morgantown school board used that loss as an example as why our two schools should never play. That is part of the problem, they think they are Notre Dame.

Its not just them. Many Marshall fans thought we shouldnt play Queens for the same reason. Scared to lose?

Its not just them. Many Marshall fans thought we shouldnt play Queens for the same reason. Scared to lose?
Yep, the “I’m better than you” syndrome. Happens on all levels. I just feel sorry for the school who can’t claim superiority over anyone. UMass maybe?

Do what? No body thought we shouldn’t play de facto D2 Queens College, in their ridiculous tiny gym, nor many of the other cupcakes on DD’s joke schedule, including Glenville State of all things, because we were “scared to lose” to such lousy competition. We, unlike CS and DD, demanded BETTER for the Herd. Taking on a legitimate and reasonable pre-season schedule where we test ourselves against our equals, and also larger programs. Not because we are scared to lose, but because we want the victories to mean something.

DD’s No Effort November doesn’t mean a thing.

Reactions: HerdyGurdyMan
Well, no reason to even discuss competition in revenue sports with WVU as long as the egomaniac and bow-tied bigot and kook, E. Gordy Gee(k), is at the helm. Check out exactly what kind of POS this quack really is on Metro New straight from the mouth of the EERS just departed (fired) AD, Shane Lyons!

Same goes in basketball. As long as Fat Boy Huggs is in charge, no chance for any competition. Danny D.'s typical off-the-cuff flippant remark(s) apparently chaffed Huggy's expansive rear end and the series' continuation went kaput ASAP! Short of Huggy finally having an "event" described by Fred T. Sanford as the "big one, Eiizabeth", chances of WVU-MU meeting in basketball, in Charleston, Huntington, Motown, Wheeling or Welch, are SLIM and NONE!! Of course, if D'Antoni's teams had managed a win or two in actual competition on the floor against the EERS, he might have had a stronger reason to mouth off. But as we all know, and his record clearly shows, D'Antoni hasn't managed even ONE regular season win over WVU or any other MAJOR foe during EIGHT+ years as the HERD head man. Hence, we see the Queens, the Glenville's, the Newberry's, Rio Grandes, etc., year after year in the CAM, where, if the empty seats aren't being used by or available to our expanding crowds, at least they are being used by a growing number of industrious spiders constructing an increasing amount of COBWEBS!!

Reactions: greengeezer
I think the people over at Sports Illustrated are stoned, they are projecting a Marshall vs Coastal Carolina matchup.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Your last line of that post is all I need to know to formulate an opinion on someone about sports. Not playing a game because of “reputation”. Geez. What happened to the anyone anywhere anytime mantra.
To translate for you. The EERS were such "CRAP" this season, that playing them, such as they PRESENTLY are, with an AD fired already, basically due to the Crappy state of the EER football program and with a Head Coach apparently with one foot out the door, how could playing, and beating, such a foe, albeit a hated in state one, in a bowl, enhance the status of our program? Especially with 2 victories already against mediocre and FCS teams.

Clear now, A-ron?

BTW, the 5-7 teams with the best APR are Rice, then UNLV, and then Auburn. WVU isn’t in the top 30, of course. New Mexico State, which is 5-6 with a game cancelled is asking to be treated as 6-6 and thus cut out Auburn, but we all know how ESPN/NCAA will rule on that. Akron and Buffalo are making up the snowed out game on Friday, which if Buffalo wins, and they should, will take them to 6-6.

The official bowl eligible list is out.

The NCAA granted New Mexico State a waiver. It was 5-6 due to a game being cancelled. It is playing a I-AA this weekend, so it will almost certainly be 6-6.

That leaves one certain extra spot for a 5-7 team. The team with the best APR is Rice.

Akron is playing Buffalo tomorrow in a game that was snowed out a few weeks ago. If Buffalo wins, and it should, it is 6-6 and in. If not, the next team in APR is UNLV.

Auburn, third in APR, has been eliminated. WVU was never a part of the discussion, far down the APR list.

• Haha
Reactions: raleighherdfan
The official bowl eligible list is out.

The NCAA granted New Mexico State a waiver. It was 5-6 due to a game being cancelled. It is playing a I-AA this weekend, so it will almost certainly be 6-6.

That leaves one certain extra spot for a 5-7 team. The team with the best APR is Rice.

Akron is playing Buffalo tomorrow in a game that was snowed out a few weeks ago. If Buffalo wins, and it should, it is 6-6 and in. If not, the next team in APR is UNLV.

Auburn, third in APR, has been eliminated. WVU was never a part of the discussion, far down the APR list.
Congratulations Sammie. Go State Go

Well, people may have been right in assessing Queens in basketball. After our first Seven games our opponents' records are: Akron, 3-4; Coppin St., 3-6; Tenn. Tech, 3-5; Miami, 3-4; Morehead, 4-4; Chicago State, 2-6; and Queens, 6-2. SIX and TWO!! Why in the world would an experienced coach like D'Antoni agree to open the season with a game against a POWERHOUSE like Queens?? And on the road, to boot!! BRILLIANT!!

Well, people may have been right in assessing Queens in basketball. After our first Seven games our opponents' records are: Akron, 3-4; Coppin St., 3-6; Tenn. Tech, 3-5; Miami, 3-4; Morehead, 4-4; Chicago State, 2-6; and Queens, 6-2. SIX and TWO!! Why in the world would an experienced coach like D'Antoni agree to open the season with a game against a POWERHOUSE like Queens?? And on the road, to boot!! BRILLIANT!!
I'm confused...which is it DD no effort November and a lame schedule, or bad scheduling by going on the road to powerhouse Queens.

Do the MB bowl teams/players get $100 gift certificates to Wings/Eagles to get a stuffed gator head and some cool t shirts?

Why play a team with a losing record? They should keep their a$$ in mohole that is all they deserve. The HERD doesn't need there sorry a$$! GO HERD!

Why play a team with a losing record? They should keep their a$$ in mohole that is all they deserve. The HERD doesn't need there sorry a$$! GO HERD!
there-their-they-are.gif

Now that everyone on here has mastered this post, MU officials will quickly bypass its basic "Bonehead" English course and ENROLL the entire board in an on-line class of English 101. Any of you who are still struggling, well, it's "Bonehead" for you guys!!

Last edited:
Reactions: herdfan06
Basketball - We simply are not at WVU’s level. We were way ahead of WVU from the late 60s through when they finally started playing us, and were about even for more than two decades.
While I agree with your first sentence, I must question your second. In the late 60s, Marshall had two NIT appearances (1967, 1968). Meanwhile, WVU went to the NCAA tournament in 1967, and also went to the NIT in 1968. Not sure how that puts MU "way ahead" of WVU. Now I will recognize MU's superiority in the early 70s.

Now let's look at the second part of that sentence where you state that the two schools "were about even for more than two decades" after the series started up in 1978. I'll go decade by decade.

Late 1970s
Neither school played in the postseason those years. The two schools met 4 times with WVU winning all 4.

1980s
WVU reached the NCAA Tournament 6 times in the decade and won 3 tournament games. WVU also reached the NIT 3 times that decade including an NIT Final Four in 1981.

Marshall reached the NCAA Tournament 3 times that decade and went 0-3. MU went to the NIT once and lost in the first round.

Head-to-head, the schools played 11 times that decade, with WVU winning 6.

While WVU has a slightly stronger record in the 1980s, I'll give you the "were about even" sentiment.

1990s
WVU went to the NCAA Tournament twice that decade including a Sweet 16 in 1998. WVU also got 4 NIT bids and won 5 games in those tournaments.

MU never reached the postseason in the 1990s.

Head-to-head, the schools played 9 times that decade, with WVU winning 7.

WVU was clearly stronger than MU in the 1990s.

2000s
WVU went to the NCAA Tournament 4 times that decade with two Sweet 16s (2006 and 2008) and an Elite 8 (2005). WVU also had 3 NIT berths and won 7 games including the NIT Championship in 2007.

MU never reached the postseason in that decade.

Head-to-head, the schools played 10 times that decade, with WVU winning 7.

WVU was clearly stronger than MU in the 2000s.

Overall
WVU has had 30 NCAA Tournament appearances and has a 32-30 record in those games including 2 Final Fours. MU has 6 NCAA Tournament appearances and is 1-6 in those games.

WVU has played in the NIT tournament 16 times with a 21-16 record including 2 NIT Championships. MU has 5 NIT appearances and is 2-6 in those games.

Head-to-head, the schools have played 45 times; WVU leads the series 34-11.

Now I ask you, where are the "more than two decades" when the schools were about even?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT