ADVERTISEMENT

If ESPN is dropped…

Sep 26, 2002
By Disney, will they stay an independent network as before? Will they chop bowl games? Will they hitch themselves to the new playoffs and more into the new NCAA? (This conversation is due to Wells Fargo prognosticating that Disney will drop ABC and ESPN.)

c182e949-afd2-4a3c-a444-b04ed724a485.jpg

Disney don't need WF money.

c182e949-afd2-4a3c-a444-b04ed724a485.jpg

Disney don't need WF money.
ESPN has lost Disney a lot of money recently. In addition, Disney has "struggled" recently. There are hoset of reasons. They seem to have lost their way and focus. Wouldn't surprise me if they start dumping things like ESPN.

Some things turn to shit. Even at Disney if you let it.

By Disney, will they stay an independent network as before? Will they chop bowl games? Will they hitch themselves to the new playoffs and more into the new NCAA? (This conversation is due to Wells Fargo prognosticating that Disney will drop ABC and ESPN.)
I’ve seen HULU bundles advertised that do not include ESPN already.

This story has been floating around the financial world for maybe a year. This is the deal:

- Not that long ago "everyone" had cable (or a dish). Every package had the ESPNs, and the competitors, whether they watched it or not.
- The price paid for ESPN is a whopping $8/month. Add in the other sports channels, including the very expensive regional sports networks (Bally Sports Ohio, etc) and "everyone" was paying nearly $20/month, just for sports channels.
- Now there is streaming. People that really don't like sports can get by with the estrogen soaked melodrama on things like Peacock or HBO Max.

That leaves far less than "everyone" now paying for ESPN, et al.

ESPN remains insanely profitable, right now, but the trend is clearly there.

Meanwhile, Disney lost a BILLION AND A HALF dollars just in the last quarter, on its streaming deal (ESPN Plus, Disney Plus, Hulu). Streaming may be one of those great entertainment ideas, that just cannot make any money. Almost all streamers bleed money like a stuck pig.

So what is Disney to do?

Just sell ESPN as a streaming service. Can't. It violates Disney's contracts with all the cable and dish companies. And, who would continue to pay for cable if they could get ESPN and the other channels they wanted "a la carte", so that just kills cable. And, most analysts think that a stand alone ESPN would have to charge about $50/month to just break even, based on the number of subscribers that actually watch sports.

So these analysts see ESPN as a future "toxic asset" and want Disney to get rid of it.

I don't see it happening. Nobody yet has figured out how to make money at streaming, and until they do, it is all just discussion.

Disney is going the way of the dinosaur because of it own criminal actives. How about child trafficking for starters? I am not joking! Much more will be coming to light soon as the flood gates of disclosures will completely bankrupt more than Disney. AT&T already got rid of toxic CNN. DirecTV is next. Even AT&T itself is questionable for the future. Wells Fargo was indicted for Mortage fraud and lost to the tune of 63T which is now restructured. The whole world of banking is on the verge of collapse! Our government is like a whore with an open credit line. Giving B’s to a criminal actor in Ukraine WTF! How criminal is this Biden Admin? Very!

As eluded to in my above post, Disney and ESPN are hurting financially because they have gone woke. Every Disney show or movie now has to push some leftist alphabet agenda and when you turn on ESPN they want to talk politics a wokeness instead of sports. These are supposed to be two sources of escape from all that mess. Instead I turn on ESPN and hesr about how Lebron is mad no one reached out for comment about a picture that has surfsced of a 15 year old Jerry Jones watching his school being integrated.

Both have veered out of their lanes and they're paying the price.

• Love
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Back to the OP...

There is talk heating up about bowl games being eliminated in the near future. Some ideas that have been floated by the FBS commissioners, playoff committee, TV people, etc are --

• Cutting 6-7 of the small bowls outright. Just cancel them and move on. Have 35 bowls total. If some 6-6 teams get left out, oh well.
• Change the bowl eligibility requirement to 7 wins (with one FCS win counting). Which would naturally get rid of about 8-10 bowl games by eliminating 6-6 teams.
• Allow teams to host "lesser" bowl games if they are bowl eligible (to try to bring in fans/money). Basically, the Myrtle Beach Bowl, for example, would just be the closest eligible team to MB hosting another eligible team, whether that's Coastal, South Carolina, ECU, etc hosting doesn't really matter.

I dont know what the answer is, or if ESPN's rights have anything to do with it, but the bowl system is going to be changing in the next few years following the expansion of the playoffs.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT