ADVERTISEMENT

IF We Loose to Arkansas State

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Will the AD Spears honestly evaluate Huff and his staff or just let him finish out his contract next year and hope (gulp) that the football program gets righted?

If we come out loose and ready we will be fine against Arkansas State and we will be bowl eligible by 8pm Saturday night!!

And Mr Spears will still evaluate the Head Coach and the Head Coach will in turn evaluate his staff.

Contrary to popular belief, Coach Huff wants to win and has been successful his entire life.

Reactions: riflearm2
If we come out loose and ready we will be fine against Arkansas State and we will be bowl eligible by 8pm Saturday night!!
Absolutely no one else believes we will back into bowl eligibility, and absolutely no one else cares about playing in a meaningless pre-Christmas bowl game against an equally hapless MACer or whatever.
And Mr Spears will still evaluate the Head Coach and the Head Coach will in turn evaluate his staff.
Will he use a criteria different than your own, since you have never found anything with the word Marshall on it that you don't think, childishly, is the bestest ever.
Contrary to popular belief, Coach Huff wants to win
Ahh, so that is the secret. You have to WANT to win. And CH knows this magic secret!!!

And here all along dumb ole me thought he wanted to lose. Thank you for setting me straight.
and has been successful his entire life.
No, he has been the HFC at Marshall the last three years, and has failed totally at the job.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.

Will the AD Spears honestly evaluate Huff and his staff or just let him finish out his contract next year and hope (gulp) that the football program gets righted?
What makes you think Spears has anything to do with this? Huff answers to the president and the board, they will make decision not a lawyer

Absolutely no one else believes we will back into bowl eligibility, and absolutely no one else cares about playing in a meaningless pre-Christmas bowl game against an equally hapless MACer or whatever.

Will he use a criteria different than your own, since you have never found anything with the word Marshall on it that you don't think, childishly, is the bestest ever.

Ahh, so that is the secret. You have to WANT to win. And CH knows this magic secret!!!

And here all along dumb ole me thought he wanted to lose. Thank you for setting me straight.

No, he has been the HFC at Marshall the last three years, and has failed totally at the job.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.
We know Sam doesn’t know much, and still spends majority of his time looking for the baseball stadium permits but you mean the same pre-Christmas bowl we’d be playing in that we’ve always played in regardless of our record??

Huff will be back... He will get a pass on "one bad year" and he will get rid of an assistant or two on the offensive side of the ball, and possibly the special teams coach.

Here is my assessment of this mess, five quick thoughts.
1. Huff didn't recruit well for high school kids to fill his pipeline, as he had hoped he could...talent wise, at the end of his first year and had no talent he liked in the pipeline.
2. Huff fell prey to the "giitter" of the portal to fill the void, 35+ new players on the team this year, perhaps more talented than he'd recruited before, but with little to know knowledge of Marshall, his staff or his paths/process; and mostly his offense and defense.
3. He and his staff failed miserably at incorporating those players into this program. They came here for a chance to play and some money from the NIL. The problem is they weren't playing where they were; 4 and 5 star recruits should at least be playing a bit where they're recruited to, even the elite programs. I'm betting their problem wasn't physical talent, more ability to consume information and execute on the field.
4. Injuries, and a pathetic schedule provided to him by the AD and conference, made "learning on the go" in hostile environments a necessity; it wasn't accomplished.
5. Huff is a good guy, a talker perhaps more than a doer, but yet a good man. He wants good things for his players, his community and Marshall University. BUT his ambition isn't matched by his experience and understanding of "Getting it Done" at lower levels of collegiate athletics. His "good guy" approach has allowed him to make really illogical choices in leadership positions in coaches the last go around. He was fortunate early because some really experienced people needed jobs. He replaced them with really inexperienced ones. That, along with abandoning the kids who chose Marshall for Marshall, were his two major mistakes. And they are big enough for him to move on. His organizational mistakes are huge, and fully the expectation of what a Head Coach in the SBC has to get right.

I read the title, then dug up my Marshall degree that I had previously torn up and buried just so I could burn it . . again.

Reactions: johns1124

Contrary to popular belief, Coach Huff wants to win and has been successful his entire life.
That doesn't answer the question. 6 and 6 is not good enough. We are not keeping up with peers in our division or conference.

I am sure he does want to be succesful but, business is business. You are giving an emotional BS response. That has nothing to do with it.

That being said, I think he gets one more year. Probably gets fired after next year unless he gets half of the SEC to transfer into Marshall. He is so far behind App State, Coastal, Troy, South Alabama, and James Madison to name a few, it is not even funny.

Last edited:
I have said before on several occasions that he will return next year. Spears would be wise to sit on an offer of an extension IMO.Without sounding like i am trying to speak ill of coach Huff I just do not at this time have any confidence that we will bounce back next year.I wish him well but believe next year will be his last with us.

I have said before on several occasions that he will return next year. Spears would be wise to sit on an offer of an extension IMO.Without sounding like i am trying to speak ill of coach Huff I just do not at this time have any confidence that we will bounce back next year.I wish him well but believe next year will be his last with us.
they had offered Huff an extension during the season, he declined.

You’d be successful on the staffs he was on. On his own, he’s bad. As Doc’s players graduate or leave, and his players come into the system, it’s not a good result.

Honest question here. Does a win this weekend help or hurt the program long term?

I think Huff gets another season, but he's likely gotta clean house of coordinators.

Doc didn't get fired after 2016 and MU improved significantly.

I think the question is what is realistically expected of the team next season.
I'd ask for your opinions but some of you are so delusional and lack logic, it's likely a waste of time.

I think Huff gets another season, but he's likely gotta clean house of coordinators.

Doc didn't get fired after 2016 and MU improved significantly.

I think the question is what is realistically expected of the team next season.
I'd ask for your opinions but some of you are so delusional and lack logic, it's likely a waste of time.
I’d look into the FCS level and maybe even the D2 level for coordinators, otherwise we are getting retreads. Let’s get someone hungry that has the experience.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I’d look into the FCS level and maybe even the D2 level for coordinators, otherwise we are getting retreads. Let’s get someone hungry that has the experience.

Same thing MU fans said about a new HC...

I have always said the FCS and lower level divisions would best suit MU over a P5 coordinator.
For those who have been at the true top level of college football, like Huff, have a more difficult time adjusting to a place like MU. It's basically downsizing everything they are used to.
Then you have an FCS HC who has never had the facilities MU has, and somehow could win without them.
More money, larger stadium, expansion of power, etc., it absolutely can motivate them better.

Yep. It creates the illusion that the program is in good hands & headed in the right direction, when it’s crystal clear that the opposite is happening. No Ali next year, a wip at QB1 & atrocious coaches in all phases.
But, hey - the culture is great!!

Arkansas State just put up SEVENTY-FOUR points in ONE game, last week versus Texas State!! Not sure Huff's Offensive juggernaut has put up 74 points TOTAL in ALL of its SBC games to date.

Pretty clear that our sputtering KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Offense is not ready and able to successfully engage in an Offensive shootout in game 12!!!

Arkansas State just put up SEVENTY-FOUR points in ONE game, last week versus Texas State!! Not sure Huff's Offensive juggernaut has put up 74 points TOTAL in ALL of its SBC games to date.

Pretty clear that our sputtering KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Offense is not ready and able to successfully engage in an Offensive shootout in game 12!!!
Hey! We have 63 as a TEAM over the past 5 games!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Are we talking about not winning a game, or your wife? If we are talking about not winning a football game, it is "lose".

Huff will survive for his last year of his contract but will fire Trickett as a scape goat. He will go after the transfer portal in a big way since I has one season to keep his job.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT