ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Baseball this weekend versus Arkansas State

Jul 27, 2021
Marshall will host Arkansas State this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 6,3, and 1. They were extremely competitive last weekend on the road against Southern Miss who won the conference last year and made a Super Regional. The weather will be solid all weekend. If you have kids Little League day is Saturday. These boys could use a big home crowd getting rowdy and giving them a push. Come see the team and the park this weekend.

Baseball will benefit this year from the stadium being shiny and new... The question is, what will attendance look like next season if we don't improve the on-field product.

I think we were all aware this season would be a total rebuild, with a new coach coming in at the 11th hour, and not having much in the cupboard. Hopefully the young guys keep getting better and our new staff can recruit hard this offseason.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Baseball will benefit this year from the stadium being shiny and new... The question is, what will attendance look like next season if we don't improve the on-field product.

I think we were all aware this season would be a total rebuild, with a new coach coming in at the 11th hour, and not having much in the cupboard. Hopefully the young guys keep getting better and our new staff can recruit hard this offseason.
Agree. Need to recruit and develop. At the same time people need to show up and support the current team. It is a good, cheap afternoon/evening of entertainment.

Marshall will host Arkansas State this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 6,3, and 1. They were extremely competitive last weekend on the road against Southern Miss who won the conference last year and made a Super Regional. The weather will be solid all weekend. If you have kids Little League day is Saturday. These boys could use a big home crowd getting rowdy and giving them a push. Come see the team and the park this weekend.

I'll be there Saturday & Sunday.

This isn't Beals first team here, though. This is his second. I was hoping we'd be a bit better than we are this year with the promise of the new stadium. We're really bad, though.

Also, almost all of our best players are seniors/grad students. That includes Calin Smith, Owen Ayers, Gio Ferraro, Jack Firestone, Kebler Perralta, Caiden Kaiser, Drew Harlow, Carter Lyles, Chad Heiner and Cole Agemy. The only underclassmen getting any meaningful PT is AJ Havrilla.

Beals has to pull in a hell of a recruiting class with some high impact JC/transfer this year or 2025 will be much of the same.

I'm not bailing on Beals but next year will be his third at MU. I get that the SBC is very good in baseball but he has the facilities to make us competitive and the needle needs to start pointing up for our baseball program.

This isn't Beals first team here, though. This is his second. I was hoping we'd be a bit better than we are this year with the promise of the new stadium. We're really bad, though.

Also, almost all of our best players are seniors/grad students. That includes Calin Smith, Owen Ayers, Gio Ferraro, Jack Firestone, Kebler Perralta, Caiden Kaiser, Drew Harlow, Carter Lyles, Chad Heiner and Cole Agemy. The only underclassmen getting any meaningful PT is AJ Havrilla.

Beals has to pull in a hell of a recruiting class with some high impact JC/transfer this year or 2025 will be much of the same.

I'm not bailing on Beals but next year will be his third at MU. I get that the SBC is very good in baseball but he has the facilities to make us competitive and the needle needs to start pointing up for our baseball program.
Beals first team wasn't his to getting hired so late. He didn't step foot on campus til January of 23 and they were playing games six weeks later. This is his first recruiting class. In reality he really can't be judged on it either since he became coach so late in the process. Underclassmen receiving playing time are Harthem, Blevins, Havrilla, Miller, and Secular. You should probably go check out the stats as well. I do think Beals will put an improved product on the field next year. I believe the team is better this year. They competed last weekend against Southern Miss who won the conference last year and made a super regional. They easily could have taken 2/3 games. No it isn't a finished product and it will take time but I believe Beals and his staff will get the job done.

Yeah I can't hold last year against Beals, he inherited a bad roster and had six weeks to get them on the field.

This year has been disappointing for sure though, and it's not looking up, because the SBC is a very good baseball league and we are its worst team it appears.

Bad teams find ways to lose, and that's what we have been doing all year... If we manage to score 5-6 runs, we give up 8... If we pitch well and hold the other team to 3-4, we dont score.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Beals first team wasn't his to getting hired so late. He didn't step foot on campus til January of 23 and they were playing games six weeks later. This is his first recruiting class. In reality he really can't be judged on it either since he became coach so late in the process. Underclassmen receiving playing time are Harthem, Blevins, Havrilla, Miller, and Secular. You should probably go check out the stats as well. I do think Beals will put an improved product on the field next year. I believe the team is better this year. They competed last weekend against Southern Miss who won the conference last year and made a super regional. They easily could have taken 2/3 games. No it isn't a finished product and it will take time but I believe Beals and his staff will get the job done.
Beals was the coach last year. Yes, he gets a pass for 2023 because he came in so late but to suggest he gets a complete pass this year is a reach IMHO.

Point is, this team is dominated by seniors/GS who won't be returning next year and we're sitting at 6-14. Playing USM tight for a few games was a good sign but WVU absolutely embarrassed us Wednesday night.

We need to show well against Arkansas State this weekend. They're not great this year and were voted to finish 14th in the SBC preseason poll. Need a series win.

Beals was the coach last year. Yes, he gets a pass for 2023 because he came in so late but to suggest he gets a complete pass this year is a reach IMHO.

Point is, this team is dominated by seniors/GS who won't be returning next year and we're sitting at 6-14. Playing USM tight for a few games was a good sign but WVU absolutely embarrassed us Wednesday night.

We need to show well against Arkansas State this weekend. They're not great this year and were voted to finish 14th in the SBC preseason poll. Need a series win.
I agree need to get some wins this weekend. WVU was embarrasing agree there as well. Most teams are dominated by Juniors, Seniors and GS. Most teams typically do not play many Freshman or Sophomores. Has just gotten worse with Covid/players getting 5th years. I believe this years Seniors are the last group that got the covid bonus. Because Marshall has so many Seniors there should be alot of scholarship money coming free which obviously is a key component of recruiting. In my opinion the kids he brings in this offseason are really his first true class. With the incoming class he has now had 14 months as the Head Coach to identify and recruit and wasn't at a significant disadvantage due to when he was brought in.

He definitely gets a pass for 2024. Baseball recruiting classes are typically complete by Dec of the prior year (so for 23/24 season, recruiting classes are already complete by Dec 2022). He can influence it some by pulling in from transfer portal and JUCO transfers during summer of 2023 (I don't know enough about the roster to know if he did or not). As for recruiting for the 24/25 class, the class is looking decent. I have to add that it was still a little challenging to recruit before (or while) the facilities are still being built (rather than being able to show a finished product). But it's definitely a big improvement compared to recruiting w/o any facilities being built.

Team is starting to hit some now
Based on one game?

The offense is horrendous. Plate approach is poor across the board. The middle infield continues to be bad defensively. They appear to not understand that hard ground balls on turf will stay low as opposed to having bigger hops on natural grass, and the decision making is poor.

Pitching has been solid.

It would seem like the athletic department would want to showoff the new stadium instead of leaving only an artist rendering of the stadium on the facilities page:

It would seem like the athletic department would want to showoff the new stadium instead of leaving only an artist rendering of the stadium on the facilities page:

Herdzone is a nightmare... I have a new high-end MAC laptop for work, and the pages don't load, the graphics are wrong for the sport you click on, etc. That's aside from information being old/inaccurate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT