ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read re: WVU's financial woes.

Marshall University Cyber Security

WVU with a 45 Million dollar deficit and steadily declining enrollment , meanwhile THE Marshall University getting a 45 Million dollar National Hub for Cyber Security and no real deficit and record enrollment.

I think we all know who the real flagship of the state is.

Marshall University Cyber Security

WVU with a 45 Million dollar deficit and steadily declining enrollment , meanwhile THE Marshall University getting a 45 Million dollar National Hub for Cyber Security and no real deficit and record enrollment.

I think we all know who the real flagship of the state is.

Marshall’s financial statements are equally as bad, if not worse. They just haven’t chosen to act yet...at least not publicly.

Last edited:
Maybe Brad Smith will save them by "combining" them like they did in PA, and become the President of Marshall North and Marshall Main.

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
We all know what the real issue is in higher education, and until it’s tackled things will never improve. WVU (and many others) are doing what private companies all across the country do when their financial performance starts to slip. It forces you to make tough decisions. Marshall won’t be far behind if they’re smart.

Higher education was really exposed during Covid. Plus, half of the classes are useless and they are promoting just a rot gut agenda to young brains of mush at the parents and taxpayers expense. Throw in the govt getting involved in college tuition loans and is a headed towards a meltdown.

Laugh all you want but, Liberty probably has the right model. No i am not taking about their religous affiliation. I am talking the way they run it. You have your on campus people getting degrees but then you have thousands of on-line enrolled. No need to run big massive brick and mortar buildings anymore.

I beleive Troy University does the same thing with the military(among others).

If Marshall were smart they would become an on-line diploma mill serving thousands of people across the country. Who gives a shit about "tainting the degree". Marshall is not going to be Harvard or Yale or MIT anyway. Nobody gives a shit how you get the piece of paper.

We all know what the real issue is in higher education, and until it’s tackled things will never improve. WVU (and many others) are doing what private companies all across the country do when their financial performance starts to slip. It forces you to make tough decisions. Marshall won’t be far behind if they’re smart.
Marshall is not experiencing the woes WVU is. Our enrollment is up so much so that they’ve had to re open an old dorm that was scheduled to be demolished. That’s what happens when you have real leaders instead of bow ties.
#Flagshipped.

Marshall University may have to shutter its soon to be satellite campus in Morgantown like AB

Churning out worthless degrees while significantly increasing the cost of college...

"If the cost of going to college increased consistently with the U.S. inflation rate over the last 50 years, students would be paying anywhere from roughly $10,000 to $20,000 per year to attend public or private universities respectively."

Meanwhile ignoring the value of actual jobs in demand...

"While some degrees are worth millions of dollars in return on investment — computer and engineering programs, for example — others have no net financial value or even a negative return on investment."

Churning out worthless degrees while significantly increasing the cost of college...

"If the cost of going to college increased consistently with the U.S. inflation rate over the last 50 years, students would be paying anywhere from roughly $10,000 to $20,000 per year to attend public or private universities respectively."

Meanwhile ignoring the value of actual jobs in demand...

"While some degrees are worth millions of dollars in return on investment — computer and engineering programs, for example — others have no net financial value or even a negative return on investment."
It’s the liberal way. Womens studies degrees from private expensive colleges and then demand the government relieve you of your student debt cause you work at a coffee shop

Is it really any worse than having someone pay for a 4 year degree in Philosophy?
Considering that any four year degree requires basic science education, yes.

Philosophy is the search for truth and wisdom. Certainly it is better than actual lies.

And I do not understand you people that denigrate classical education. Part of me thinks your team does not want folks educated in logic, history, etc. It's easier to control such folks.

I'm not going to tell you a philosophy degree is super marketable (though I'd rather hire a philosophy grad than another cookie cutter business grad any of the week), but we do need people who can teach others the basics in the classics. I just looked this up: .3% of college graduates major in philosophy...it seems we are not overran with these folks.

I think the Founding Fathers would be puzzled by "philosophy bad", their understanding of Locke, Paine, etc was critical to our nation....hell, it still is.

Do we really want a nation of nothing but technically educated robots? Doesn't seem like a good idea for a vigorous democracy. It sounds....rather Chinese to me.

It’s the liberal way. Womens studies degrees from private expensive colleges and then demand the government relieve you of your student debt cause you work at a coffee shop
Liberals like Raoul want this nonsense. It's the perfect young liberal mill for churning out millions of brainwashed liberals with no useful skillset and therefore will depend and support the need for big government to take care of them.

Philosophy is the search for truth and wisdom. Certainly it is better than actual lies.

And I do not understand you people that denigrate classical education. Part of me thinks your team does not want folks educated in logic, history, etc. It's easier to control such folks.

I'm not going to tell you a philosophy degree is super marketable (though I'd rather hire a philosophy grad than another cookie cutter business grad any of the week), but we do need people who can teach others the basics in the classics. I just looked this up: .3% of college graduates major in philosophy...it seems we are not overran with these folks.

I think the Founding Fathers would be puzzled by "philosophy bad", their understanding of Locke, Paine, etc was critical to our nation....hell, it still is.

Do we really want a nation of nothing but technically educated robots? Doesn't seem like a good idea for a vigorous democracy. It sounds....rather Chinese to me.
Just because you got liberal arts degrees doesn't mean everyone else should.

I mean seriously, your profile says doctorate of journalism - I've never asked if you're joking or seriously have that or if such a thing even exists. Regardless, clearly you aren't using it.

I mean seriously, your profile says doctorate of journalism - I've never asked if you're joking or seriously have that or if such a thing even exists.
Do you also think I live in the California desert?

It's a Hunter S. Thompson thing. Raoul Duke is his alter-ego. Hunter purchased a Doctor of Divinity degree from one of those weird "churches" that anyone can be a minister of. And thus Dr. Thompson, and then his alter-ego had a doctorate too but in journalism.

Why Thompson? I like his writing. I wanted to use a screen name referring to someone from the Louisville area. And I wasn't going to call myself Jim James, I mean it's Jim fvcking James, it would almost be disrespectful 😆

But they're not teaching that. YOu think they're teaching Hayek or Neitchzke or (my favorite) Karl Popper on the same ground as those listed below?

No. They're teaching Foucault (the most cited of all) and Rousseau (we see his fingerprints all over the blood lust of the far left academics on campus - we see it in the current celebration of Hamas on campus)...or at least the pragmatic aspects of them. Pigment diversity (over viewpoint diversity) is celebrated as some kind of virtue and power dynamics are stressed.

There is no longer the pursuit of truth on campus...pursuit of justice/activism has taken over. There is no absolute truth, there is only "my truth."

I'm not sure it is a net benefit to have a society "educated" in the current iteration of four year liberal arts colleges. Sure, if it was a pure education maybe, but what you get in 2023 produces a "credentialed" class that is under employed, marinated in post modernism, and in major debt...a recipe for a destabilization of the republic.

Last edited:
Shit if I know, I only took intro.

Hell, they are teaching Ayn Rand in the business colleges. Counter-peogramming on both sides maybe.

in my experience the business schools and engineering schools are a bit more open to rightward/libertarian takes...especially if they have ties with the off-campus world. At a recent food event I had dinner with a hot shot financial industry CEO that is very involved with a big state school (for anonymity i won't mention, but this is a MASSIVE school not in WV) and he and his company were very involved in the business school...from helping with curriculum to internships, even in the admissions world.* No way you're seeing that in the soft sciences, philosophy depts, etc....they are so far removed from real world.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the whole US involvement in this Isreal/Palestine stuff...but the stuff coming out from the overall campus environment/milieu should shock a lot of people that weren't aware of how far gone academia/the campus has become.

* not a left vs. right issue, but college admissions now is crazy due to tech being so simple to just apply to multiple schools at once with a click of a mouse. They're trying to filter through thousands upon thousands of applications. It's almost an impossible task...especially if you're de-valuing a standardized test.

Nothing like paying for a degree that says you were taught the Earth is 7k years old.

Perhaps if Marshall would teach this we could find our own 35k rubes flush with Uncle Sugar education money.
You are missing the point. Marshall can teach the "normal classes" but, do what Liberty is doing in terms of getting the number of students. They don't have to follow Liberty's doctrine.

You are missing the point. Marshall can teach the "normal classes" but, do what Liberty is doing in terms of getting the number of students. They don't have to follow Liberty's doctrine.
Not really. Liberty gets 35k online students because they agree with Liberty's focus on religion. It is what sets them apart from the competition.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Not really. Liberty gets 35k online students because they agree with Liberty's focus on religion. It is what sets them apart from the competition.
Yes, but I have cusomters and associates taking on-lne classes through all kinds of univesities from all over the country.

The day of brick and mortar will shrink significantly. That is what Marshall has to figure out.

These schools can fight it all they want but, it is going to grow and grow. The college degree is not once what it was.

Arizona State has over 33,000 on-line students.

Remember when Marshall played Grand Canyon University in basketball? 40,000 on-line students.

Brick and Mortar is expensive. Expensive to maintain.

If I were going to college now, no way I would go and spend 4 years on a campus somewhere. Frankly, the best way to do it NC is to go to one of the community colleges for 2 years and then transfer over. Saves a ton of money. Oh and the community college in our county? Is bigger than Ohio State.

Yes, but I have cusomters and associates taking on-lne classes through all kinds of univesities from all over the country.

The day of brick and mortar will shrink significantly. That is what Marshall has to figure out.

These schools can fight it all they want but, it is going to grow and grow. The college degree is not once what it was.

Arizona State has over 33,000 on-line students.

Remember when Marshall played Grand Canyon University in basketball? 40,000 on-line students.

Brick and Mortar is expensive. Expensive to maintain.

If I were going to college now, no way I would go and spend 4 years on a campus somewhere. Frankly, the best way to do it NC is to go to one of the community colleges for 2 years and then transfer over. Saves a ton of money. Oh and the community college in our county? Is bigger than Ohio State.
I have nothing but my observations to note here, no hard stats.

Grand Canyon is also a religious school. BYU has a big online presence....religious.

But it really seems like a lot of the key players in this market are not, you know, "real universities". What the hell is Southern New Hampshire? A little private college. Marshall's mission is to be a regional research university educating mostly Appalachians. I am wary of mission creep...which is a big thing that got WVU into trouble.

ASU, how many of those online students are in-state? Arizona has over 7 million residents. How exactly would MU differentiate itself from other players in this market to people not from the region?

I have nothing but my observations to note here, no hard stats.

Grand Canyon is also a religious school. BYU has a big online presence....religious.

But it really seems like a lot of the key players in this market are not, you know, "real universities". What the hell is Southern New Hampshire? A little private college. Marshall's mission is to be a regional research university educating mostly Appalachians. I am wary of mission creep...which is a big thing that got WVU into trouble.

ASU, how many of those online students are in-state? Arizona has over 7 million residents. How exactly would MU differentiate itself from other players in this market to people not from the region?
Yes.

Getting into the online game is not some new niche market Marshall can jump on. ASU was an early adoptor. The other ones have heavy religious mission/pipelines.

IMO the schools need to get away from teh facilities arms races, fire about 3/4 of all the admins/associate deans, still offer an on campus experience (there is still value in living/interacting with 18-22 year old peers and dare I say it "finding yourself), and go no frills facilities and keep costs as low as possible. Get the legacy costs down as much as possible - meaning no expensive buildings that need maintained, no pie in the sky retirement plans (defined benefit plans), minimal administration. Utilize online resources/libraries and cut the science faculty that doesn't want to teach because it's not like they're churning out major scientific breakthroughs at WVU or Marshall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT