ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall basketball history and how DD stacks up

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
I like to look at numbers so here re a few to consider. These come from sports-reference and wiki.

Marshall joined the division 1 level in 1953 so I will limit these numbers to the past 69 seasons. Of course that excludes some good players and season under the legendary Cam Henderson.... sorry mates!

In 69 seasons we have 45 with a 500% or better record, 24 with less.
We have 16 seasons with at least 20+ wins
We have 6 NCAA Tourney appearances with a 1-6 record
We have 5 NIT appearances with a 2-6 record there.
We have 4 conference titles, 3 while in the Southern Con and 1 while in the MAC ( 1955-56)
We have been ranked on two occasions in the AP poll during the regular season ( 1955-56/1971-72) and ended up ranked in the final poll once #12 in 1971-72.
During this time period we have had 20 players drafted by the NBA.

I say this to remind us that we have a nice history but certainly not a blue blood past. I agree we should shoot for the stars and swing for the fence, but try to have a long term perspective. It is my view that having DD one more year will not drag us down and cause us to become a bottom dweller. It does seem to me that his time here has run its course . However, I support Smith and Speers in their decision to retain him. If he hits the portal and strikes gold who is to say that he might just right the ship next year.

DD has done a solid job here during his tenure, especially when you measure it by our past. An NCAA invite, a CIT title and (3)20+ win seasons, and a possible 4th last year had the season not been shortened due to COVID. He has brought in some of our better players based upon on the court performance.

Elmore and Burkes , Peneva , Williams and West have all been at the top in statistical all time leaders in points, rebounds, blocked shots and steals.

Sometimes you can't measure success by the record alone. What I think DD has done is to stabilize the program. He has done this by recruiting good people. He has also tried to link the present to the past in a way that only Stu was able to do. I would wager that his time here is near the end but I feel he will hand the keys over to the next guy a program that is much better off than it was when he arrived.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herd1972
You are what your record says you are.

In the last three years, that is 17-15 15-7 and 12-21 against the very bottom of the Division. No coach in MU history has turned in three years DEEP into his tenure and been retained. Almost no coach anywhere has been. Very different from coming in and chalking up some losses with the previous guy’s recruits and such. This is DD’s mess, 100%

You are what your record says you are.

If he strikes gold in the portal he will have to know what to do with them on the floor. Hopefully no more hillbilly ball or street ball but some offensive and defensive organization.

DD “strike gold” in the portal? He would have to find player/s who are completely disgruntled at lack of playing time and see greener grass here or perhaps getting closer to home. Realistically how many kids choose to transfer to a losing program unless they really think they can make an immediate impact?

DD has done a solid job here during his tenure, especially when you measure it by our past. An NCAA invite, a CIT title and (3)20+ win seasons, and a possible 4th last year had the season not been shortened due to COVID. He has brought in some of our better players based upon on the court performance.

Elmore and Burkes , Peneva , Williams and West have all been at the top in statistical all time leaders in points, rebounds, blocked shots and steals.

Reads like another sport I know.

But the people on here held it to the same standard basketball should be held to...

"1 conference title since he's been here."

"All the numbers won't change that DD's a mediocre coach and we are doomed forever as long as he is here."

Reads like another sport I know.

But the people on here held it to the same standard basketball should be held to...

"1 conference title since he's been here."

"All the numbers won't change that DD's a mediocre coach and we are doomed forever as long as he is here."
I understand what you are saying. However we do not have a strong basketball history here like we have had in football since the late 80's. All I am saying is DD will be gone after next year if he fails to produce. I do not share your view on how he has performed while here. As a matter of fact if you re -read my post and compare the history of marshall basketball you will see that he has done a decent job while here. Good Lord we have only been ranked in the AP poll one time in our entire history. It's not like he took over a Blue Blood program like Duke or UK with a proud history and ran it in the ground. I haven't read about scandal's during DD tenure here. I haven't read about players being arrested . I have heard of players going to class and graduating. Maybe his role here is to stabilize the program and the next guy can take us to the next level. All I know is he is still our coach and I wish him all the best.

I understand what you are saying. However we do not have a strong basketball history here like we have had in football since the late 80's. All I am saying is DD will be gone after next year if he fails to produce. I do not share your view on how he has performed while here. As a matter of fact if you re -read my post and compare the history of marshall basketball you will see that he has done a decent job while here. Good Lord we have only been ranked in the AP poll one time in our entire history. It's not like he took over a Blue Blood program like Duke or UK with a proud history and ran it in the ground. I haven't read about scandal's during DD tenure here. I haven't read about players being arrested . I have heard of players going to class and graduating. Maybe his role here is to stabilize the program and the next guy can take us to the next level. All I know is he is still our coach and I wish him all the best.

Thing is, DD literally erased the decades long underachieving in 8 days...so to use our basketball history as some sort of excuse for his inability to remain consistently good, is not a good hill to die on.
Could he have used more funding? Of course. All programs could. But DD wanted a whole new arena not even on the campus, for a single 8 day stretch.
He then blamed everything else but himself for the lack of production on the court.
Good lord, he has an NBA caliber player and can't even use him correctly.

In DD's level, coaching really matters and he isn't it. Sure, a feel good story and consistency in the classroom is nice, but the NCAA doesn't share your moral compass, and will gladly leave you behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT