ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Men’s Basketball Finalizes 2019-20 Non-Conference Schedule

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
https://herdzone.com/news/2019/8/28/mens-basketball-finalizes-2019-20-non-conference-schedule.aspx

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The Marshall Thundering Herd men's basketball program finalized its 2019-20 non-conference schedule on Monday.

The 15-game non-conference slate has nine home matchups, including two exhibitions, five-road contests, two against power-five programs, and one at a neutral site.

Marshall begins the season with exhibitions against Glenville State and Rio Grande on Oct. 29 and Nov. 2, respectively.

The Herd begin the regular season with a pair of home games facing Robert Morris on Nov. 7 and Toledo on Nov. 10 as part of the 2019 Men Against Breast Cancer Invitational.

MU then travels to Indiana on Nov. 15 to play ACC foe Notre Dame as part of the MABC, before returning home for matchups with the College of Charleston on Nov. 19 and its final MABC contest with Howard on Nov. 21.

Marshall returns to action on Black Friday (Nov. 29) as it heads to Gainesville for a contest with Southeastern Conference powerhouse Florida.

Action returns to the Cam Henderson Center for the Herd's first game of December with Akron Zips on Dec. 4, but quickly head back on the road to face Toledo on Dec. 8.

MU then alternates home and road games as it plays host on Dec. 11 to Bluefield State and travels to Morehead State on Dec. 16.

Marshall's final home non-conference contest will be against Eastern Kentucky, who is led by Marshall alumnus A.W. Hamilton, on Dec. 19, with the final non-conference road game coming at Northern Iowa on Dec. 22.

The Herd returns from Christmas break for its final non-conference matchup coming up on Dec. 29 against Duquesne at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, home of the Cleveland Cavaliers, as part of the Cleveland Classic. The game will be the second of a double-header at the Cleveland Classic with Ohio State and West Virginia being the first game of the day beginning at Noon.

2019-20 season ticket renewals are available online by clicking here or by calling the box office at 800-THE-HERD.

All home tip times are TBA and broadcast information will come at a later date.

Reactions: pdbailey
Looks mediocre. Playing Bluefield State in the regular season is embarrassing. Two solid step up games versus True Majors. Six fellow mid-majors, and four bus and gym bottom feeders. The economics of the Duquesene game still make no sense to me, but, heck, take the $$ and get back on the bus. Should never play the same team non-conference twice in a year.

OK, but just OK.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
Looks mediocre. Playing Bluefield State in the regular season is embarrassing. Two solid step up games versus True Majors. Six fellow mid-majors, and four bus and gym bottom feeders. The economics of the Duquesene game still make no sense to me, but, heck, take the $$ and get back on the bus. Should never play the same team non-conference twice in a year.

OK, but just OK.
If you mean Toledo twice. we had absolutely no choice. We had them scheduled as game 4 of the series on the road. Then when we ended up in the same tournament as them we get them at home along with Robert Morris, Howard and the road game with Notre Dame.
As for Bluefield. they tried and tried to get a D1 home game. Absolutey no takers. The final shot was Stetson with Donnie Jones. It seems Donnie wanted none of that. We struggled to get the last 2 home games but were able to pull off the home and home with C of C. That was a good pickup.
Duquesne was a no brainer. we had them scheduled to be here and a promoter came in and offered money to play the game in Cleveland. Duquesne said they would honor the game here in the next season.

Reactions: herdfan93
Duquesene. Yeah, it ain't my money. If some promoter wants to pay us good $$ to play on the moon, take the money. I don't see what is in it for him, but he ain't my problem. It is a single-admission doubleheader in the 19.5K Cavs arena. First game is Ohio State - WVU. We follow after an hour break. You would think Ohio State versus anybody semi-legit (and WVU looks to be OK this year) could sell 19.5K seats in Cleveland, Ohio on a Sunday. The guy sitting around NE Ohio who is waffling about buying tickets but buys in because he get Marshall - Duquesene as a bonus I want to meet. But, hey, it ain't my $$.

BSC. I just find it hard to swallow that out of 351 schools we could not find some Big South or MAAC type team willing to take some $$ and bus in and out. But BSC is not only DII, it is probably the smallest time of the WV small colleges. No dorms. No fans. At least Harvey High or State would have brought 100 folks to the game and Tech has that name, but Bluefield State?

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Isn't Bluefield State the annual game during finals week (Dec. 11) where we play some team that we absolutely do not have to prepare for?... If so, I am okay with them being on the schedule because its a meaningless win to break up the monotony of eight days of practice between Toledo and Morehead.

The rest of the schedule looks pretty good... I like playing Florida (always a solid team and the Billy Donovan connection) and of course any time you get to play Notre Dame in football or basketball its a big game... Toledo, Akron, Morehead, Duquesne, C of C - all fine non-power opponents... Howard and EKU should be easy wins.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Duquesene. Yeah, it ain't my money. If some promoter wants to pay us good $$ to play on the moon, take the money. I don't see what is in it for him, but he ain't my problem. It is a single-admission doubleheader in the 19.5K Cavs arena. First game is Ohio State - WVU. We follow after an hour break. You would think Ohio State versus anybody semi-legit (and WVU looks to be OK this year) could sell 19.5K seats in Cleveland, Ohio on a Sunday. The guy sitting around NE Ohio who is waffling about buying tickets but buys in because he get Marshall - Duquesene as a bonus I want to meet. But, hey, it ain't my $$.

BSC. I just find it hard to swallow that out of 351 schools we could not find some Big South or MAAC type team willing to take some $$ and bus in and out. But BSC is not only DII, it is probably the smallest time of the WV small colleges. No dorms. No fans. At least Harvey High or State would have brought 100 folks to the game and Tech has that name, but Bluefield State?
I'm sure that Mark Cline would love your assistance. Maybe you should ask him to let you help him next year.

Hopefully, we shouldn't be completely overmatched in any of our OOC games unlike last year versus Virginia, Texas A&M, and Maryland. Although Florida should be strong and has recruited well under HC Mike White, formerly at Louisiana Tech. Notre Dame under Mike Brey struggled badly last season. The Irish should be better this year, but far from a power house. Overall, this is a pretty reasonable schedule, IMO, for a Herd team that has a lot of new comers and inexperience and which lost a tremendous amount of firepower/offense after last season!

Reactions: chuck1069
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT