ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Men’s Basketball Unveils 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Marshall released its 2021-22 men’s basketball non-conference schedule on Monday. It features eight games, in addition to a pair of home exhibitions.

“Our non-conference schedule has a good mixture of games that will give our team enough variety to help us grow and perfect our play,” Marshall men’s basketball coach Dan D’Antoni said. “It’s highlighted with many top schools that will compete for their conference championships with games at home against Northern Iowa, Wright State and Duquesne, among others that will bring exciting games to The Cam. When you add in road trips to Indiana, Ohio and Toledo with others mixed in makes for an exciting 2021-22 season. We are ready and hoping our fans come back to The Cam and follow The Herd.”

The Herd begins the campaign with exhibitions against Davis & Elkins on Oct. 31 and Pikeville College on Nov. 7 at the Henderson Center.

MU then has five straight home games to begin the regular season with contests against Wright State (Nov. 12), Milligan University (Nov. 15), Campbell (Nov. 18), Jackson State (Nov. 21) and Louisiana (Nov. 23).

Marshall’s first road game will be against Big Ten foe Indiana on November 27 at Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Following that game, the Herd travels to former Mid-American Conference rival Akron on December 1.

The Green and White return home on December 4 to host Duquesne and December 8 when it hosts Bluefield College.

The Herd goes back on the road for a pair of contests, starting with EKU on December 11 before heading to Athens, Ohio, play the Ohio Bobcats on December 15. Ohio reached the second round of the 2021 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament last season.

MU then plays host to Northern Iowa on December 18 for its final non-conference home game of 2021 at the Henderson Center.

Marshall then concludes non-conference play at 2021 NIT qualifier Toledo on Dec. 21.

All tip times and broadcast information is TBD.

SEASON TICKET RENEWALS

The men’s basketball season-ticket deadline has been extended until next Tuesday, Sept. 21.

SCHEDULE

October 31st vs. Davis & Elkins (Exh.)

November 7th vs. Pikeville College (Exh.)

November 12th vs. Wright State

November 15th vs. Milligan University

November 18th vs. Campbell

November 21st vs. Jackson State

November 23rd vs. Louisiana

November 27th at Indiana

December 1st at Akron

December 4th vs. Duquesne

December 8th vs. Bluefield College

December 11th at Eastern Kentucky

December 15th at Ohio

December 18th vs. Northern Iowa

December 21st at Toledo

Can't agree with you on that statement. 3 road games at MAC opponents won't be easy (at all), road game at Indiana, and Wright State at home will be a tough one. 7-6 would be awful, but 8-5/9-4 is more likely.
Indiana is a likely L... We should be able to win 2-3 against the MAC teams. Even if we lose 2-3, there is no excuse to lose any of the others... We beat Wright State by 20 last year and they lost their best player to graduation. The rest of those teams are not good, so I guess 10-3 should be the baseline.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
SCHEDULE

Who cares?
Who cares, but they changed the name of the school to the University of Pikeville.

TEN YEARS AGO.
Loss.
NAIA school with 1100 students.
Toss up.
WIn.
Win.
November 27th at Indiana
40 point beatdown.
December 1st at Akron
30 point beatdown.
Toss up.
NAIA school with 1000 students.
Win
December 15th at Ohio
Loss
Loss
December 21st at Toledo
Loss.

Sam: I know the animus you hold for the basketball program. But you're predicting 7-6?

Also - lifting a comment you just made in the conference rumors thread, I cleaned it up & here is what was stated:

Until the rotten Superfans understand that THIS is where we are RIGHT NOW and that to appreciate MU BASKETBALL is to respect it, and those it plays, we are doomed.

In basketball, where we are right now, which is in a conference formed by football schools all wanting to play football at the same level, about a third of which do not try at basketball and another third of which do not have the resources to try at basketball, is a place where the conference is right there to be grabbed by the throat and dominated. Very different from football, where everyone is here to try to be on the same level.

Reactions: herd66
Not a single top 50 NET team from 2020.

Two D2 games.

That ain’t bustin anything.
Don’t disagree with the sentiment, but actually both 912 student Bluefield College and 1335 student Milligan “University” are members of the Appalachian Athletic Conference of the NAIA. Which is two levels below D2. Two levels below D2. The lowest level.

We could have kept the money in state, and stepped up the level of competition by playing State or Glenville or some such. Heck, back the GW era, we would play at Shepherd and, I’m told, since we have alumni in the eastern panhandle, and certainly a lot around DC, actually had a nice turnout, held an alumni event, and tossed some cash to a little brother.

NAIA.

Sad.

Reactions: RhinoD
Don’t disagree with the sentiment, but actually both 912 student Bluefield College and 1335 student Milligan “University” are members of the Appalachian Athletic Conference of the NAIA. Which is two levels below D2. Two levels below D2. The lowest level.

We could have kept the money in state, and stepped up the level of competition by playing State or Glenville or some such. Heck, back the GW era, we would play at Shepherd and, I’m told, since we have alumni in the eastern panhandle, and certainly a lot around DC, actually had a nice turnout, held an alumni event, and tossed some cash to a little brother.

NAIA.

Sad.
I have always thought the same thing... If we are going to play some lower division team during finals week just to get a cheap W, why don't we play a small school that is in state. Not saying we should be playing lower division teams at all (certainly not 2 a season) but if you are going to do it, give a small school from WV the bigger stage.

Reactions: The Real SamC
To be fair, he's comparing the Herd OOC to Duke, so it likely does look ball busting to him.

I mean, Duke has Army, Gardner-Webb, Lafayette, The Citadel, South Carolina State, Appalachian State, and Cleveland State on the slate.
Duke surprisingly hasn’t already shut down. Coach K will want to play that schedule.

NAIA.

Sad.
Uh, Uh, Uh, now Sam! Let's be truly accurate here! Bluefield is now "Bluefield UNIVESITY" for about 2 or 3 weeks now! If you don't believe me, like that Mike Rowe fella says, "you can look it up"!

Sam: I know the animus you hold for the basketball program. But you're predicting 7-6?

Also - lifting a comment you just made in the conference rumors thread, I cleaned it up & here is what was stated:

Until the rotten Superfans understand that THIS is where we are RIGHT NOW and that to appreciate MU BASKETBALL is to respect it, and those it plays, we are doomed.
Looks like Sam nailed it. Seems he typically is right when it comes to these things.

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Marshall released its 2021-22 men’s basketball non-conference schedule on Monday. It features eight games, in addition to a pair of home exhibitions.

“Our non-conference schedule has a good mixture of games that will give our team enough variety to help us grow and perfect our play,” Marshall men’s basketball coach Dan D’Antoni said. “It’s highlighted with many top schools that will compete for their conference championships with games at home against Northern Iowa, Wright State and Duquesne, among others that will bring exciting games to The Cam. When you add in road trips to Indiana, Ohio and Toledo with others mixed in makes for an exciting 2021-22 season. We are ready and hoping our fans come back to The Cam and follow The Herd.”

The Herd begins the campaign with exhibitions against Davis & Elkins on Oct. 31 and Pikeville College on Nov. 7 at the Henderson Center.

MU then has five straight home games to begin the regular season with contests against Wright State (Nov. 12), Milligan University (Nov. 15), Campbell (Nov. 18), Jackson State (Nov. 21) and Louisiana (Nov. 23).

Marshall’s first road game will be against Big Ten foe Indiana on November 27 at Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Following that game, the Herd travels to former Mid-American Conference rival Akron on December 1.

The Green and White return home on December 4 to host Duquesne and December 8 when it hosts Bluefield College.

The Herd goes back on the road for a pair of contests, starting with EKU on December 11 before heading to Athens, Ohio, play the Ohio Bobcats on December 15. Ohio reached the second round of the 2021 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament last season.

MU then plays host to Northern Iowa on December 18 for its final non-conference home game of 2021 at the Henderson Center.

Marshall then concludes non-conference play at 2021 NIT qualifier Toledo on Dec. 21.

All tip times and broadcast information is TBD.

SEASON TICKET RENEWALS

The men’s basketball season-ticket deadline has been extended until next Tuesday, Sept. 21.

SCHEDULE

November 27th at Indiana

December 1st at Akron

December 15th at Ohio

December 21st at Toledo

Gonna suck for Dan when he'd still coach and 3,318 are watching the team try to go above .500.

Uh, Uh, Uh, now Sam! Let's be truly accurate here! Bluefield is now "Bluefield UNIVESITY" for about 2 or 3 weeks now! If you don't believe me, like that Mike Rowe fella says, "you can look it up"!
oldeherd you are confused. Bluefield State College is in Bluefield, WV while Bluefield University is in Bluefield, Birginia - two different institutions. As you told one poster you can look it up. Of course I am posting this way past when the game was played. Behind in my reading.😃

oldeherd you are confused. Bluefield State College is in Bluefield, WV while Bluefield University is in Bluefield, Birginia - two different institutions. As you told one poster you can look it up. Of course I am posting this way past when the game was played. Behind in my reading.😃
Birginia? Did southern Virginia finally split away and form their own state?

bb, you need to check who is confused. Bluefield "College" in Virginia, whom we played, became Bluefield "University" this past fall, prior to the game. Just as I said. They are a private, Baptist, IIRC, school. We did NOT play Bluefield State College, a state supported school in Bluefield, WEST VIRGINIA!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT