ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball

All we heard before the season started was "this is a great group of players we have put together and will win a lot of games".
Toward the end of the season we were told wait until the tourney, we are going to show up and play great basketball.
Well we didn't win a lot of during the season.
We won one tourney game. ONE!!!
Now we get to listen to the broken record all over again. Wait untill next year.
Is Marshall basketball really that irrelevant?

Are we expected to have to sit through another season of Dan Dan’s failures?
Yes, yes you are. The cabal loves DD, and DD, not CS, is in charge of men's basketball. You will pay your money, you will sit in the half of the arena that isn't tarped off because it is unsellable. You will do as you are told.
We got excited with their run of wins on conference play, then they proved it was a joke,
There is no reason to ever be excited about this token effort. It is fool's gold.
Please someone fire this guy…!
Unfortunately, non-leader CS is "in charge". He took the job on the condition that DD stays in fantasy camp as long as he wants. CS is not a leader.
Ten Years has been long enough!!
The cabal thinks differently. And once, from 4th place, he got on an 8 day hot streak. It might happen again some day.

Marshall doesn't care about Men's Basketball. It doesn't even try. Sadly a couple assistants will be scapegoats and we'll get some more D-II players added and we'll get some of Dandy Dan's justifications of why he's struggling in a conference that he himself was a downgrade.

I heard there is some tall lanky kid in Estonia that's averaging 9 points a game for his travel team that would love to come be teammates with a couple kids from Southern West Virginia. That should turn it around for next year.

Marshall doesn't care about Men's Basketball. It doesn't even try. Sadly a couple assistants will be scapegoats and we'll get some more D-II players added and we'll get some of Dandy Dan's justifications of why he's struggling in a conference that he himself was a downgrade.
His statements are comical in hindsight... Remember when it was announced that we were going to the SBC and he started whining about how it wasn't as good of a league in basketball, less talent, less fans, etc. Now we are a barely mid-pack team in the league DD thought was a joke when we joined.

So what happens to Justin Caldwell if D'Antoni would not be brought back? I wonder what that arrangement is like.

So what happens to Justin Caldwell if D'Antoni would not be brought back? I wonder what that arrangement is like.
With absolutely no knowledge of what was said to Caldwell when he was hired, my guess would be if DD is not retained and the new coach didn't have a position for him, that Caldwell would be reassigned to a different position in the athletic department.

I heard there is some tall lanky kid in Estonia that's averaging 9 points a game for his travel team that would love to come be teammates with a couple kids from Southern West Virginia. That should turn it around for next year.

His statements are comical in hindsight... Remember when it was announced that we were going to the SBC and he started whining about how it wasn't as good of a league in basketball, less talent, less fans, etc. Now we are a barely mid-pack team in the league DD thought was a joke when we joined.
Indeed. With his attitude then we should have walked right in and took over. Instead we've gotten worse

I honestly don’t care if Dan stays or not. The reason has nothing to do with whether he should come back or not. He shouldn’t, (should have been fired years ago) but it’s just the fact that we don’t put an effort into men’s basketball. If Dan doesn’t come back we won’t try to hire Greg Marshall or John Brannen or The guy from Morehead State or even Huggins.

We will hire some non excitable hire that nobody will give a crap about and we will be ready to fire after 3 to 4 mediocre seasons. So honestly who cares if Dan comes back or not. It’s not like anything will change.

Might not matter…..Kim’s name one of a few already being mentioned in Lexington for the UK job that became open today when they fired their women’s coach.

Might not matter…..Kim’s name one of a few already being mentioned in Lexington for the UK job that became open today when they fired their women’s coach.
The women’s basketball coach at UK just made 400K. It’s not like she makes Calipari money. Does UK have a great history in women’s basketball? The reason I say it is I would be much more worried to losing her to a power women’s team not just a team that plays in a power conference.

If she turns Marshall into a mid major power she could get one of the plum jobs in women’s basketball when one of the top coaches retire. Women’s basketball is not like men’s basketball or football where if you go to a power school you will get a 7 or 8 figure salary

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I honestly don’t care if Dan stays or not. The reason has nothing to do with whether he should come back or not. He shouldn’t, (should have been fired years ago) but it’s just the fact that we don’t put an effort into men’s basketball. If Dan doesn’t come back we won’t try to hire Greg Marshall or John Brannen or The guy from Morehead State or even Huggins.

We will hire some non excitable hire that nobody will give a crap about and we will be ready to fire after 3 to 4 mediocre seasons. So honestly who cares if Dan comes back or not. It’s not like anything will change.
Sadly this is probably correct. With the exception of Billy Donovan, we've never really tried to hire anyone that's excitable. It's someone with Marshall ties or someone we can get on the cheap.

My #1 choice would be Gregg Marshall. Someone posted that he could be taking the Coastal job and that would suck.

If not Marshall then I would like to do what we did for WBB. Go down to a lower level and hire a proven winner.

Either Marshall or a lower level winner would be out of the box moves that show that we're actually trying to get the program to a championship level.

I do not believe that anything is going to be done though. Much like the end of football season when so many of us thought we'd see Huff sent packing, there's absolutely no smoke about Dan stepping down or being fired. He's already talking about the players he's going to sign and excited about next year.

Sadly this is probably correct. With the exception of Billy Donovan, we've never really tried to hire anyone that's excitable. It's someone with Marshall ties or someone we can get on the cheap.

My #1 choice would be Gregg Marshall. Someone posted that he could be taking the Coastal job and that would suck.

If not Marshall then I would like to do what we did for WBB. Go down to a lower level and hire a proven winner.

Either Marshall or a lower level winner would be out of the box moves that show that we're actually trying to get the program to a championship level.

I do not believe that anything is going to be done though. Much like the end of football season when so many of us thought we'd see Huff sent packing, there's absolutely no smoke about Dan stepping down or being fired. He's already talking about the players he's going to sign and excited about next year.
Coastal hired Western Carolina's coach.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Coastal hired Western Carolina's coach.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

The women’s basketball coach at UK just made 400K. It’s not like she makes Calipari money. Does UK have a great history in women’s basketball? The reason I say it is I would be much more worried to losing her to a power women’s team not just a team that plays in a power conference.

If she turns Marshall into a mid major power she could get one of the plum jobs in women’s basketball when one of the top coaches retire. Women’s basketball is not like men’s basketball or football where if you go to a power school you will get a 7 or 8 figure salary
"With her base salary, multi-media deal and endorsement money, Elzy was to receive $775,000 for the 2023-24 season, $800,000 for the 2024-25 season, $825,000 for the 2025-26 season and $850,000 for the 2026-27 season.10 hours ago"

This was in the Lexington Herald today, you have to subscribe to read the article.

Ummm, let's see. MU basically "discharged" one of D'Antoni's assistants over an alcohol-car driving incident a few years back. But now some want to hire and bring in Bob "make it another double, Bartender" Huggins!!

Strange. Very Strange!!

Reactions: raleighherdfan
"With her base salary, multi-media deal and endorsement money, Elzy was to receive $775,000 for the 2023-24 season, $800,000 for the 2024-25 season, $825,000 for the 2025-26 season and $850,000 for the 2026-27 season.10 hours ago"

This was in the Lexington Herald today, you have to subscribe to read the article.
That’s interesting an article I read today said her base salary was 400K. But I would definitely think the lex herald would know what they are talking about. Thanks for sharing!

But even with that I still think it’s not earth shattering money to go into a program where you will be very low on the pile vs men’s basketball and you can easily get fired. The current coach signed an extension in 2022. They owe her well over 2 million dollars.

I just think if Kim continues to do what she’s doing and turns Marshall into a mid major power she will get a life changing contract from a school where she could win a national championship.

Ummm, let's see. MU basically "discharged" one of D'Antoni's assistants over an alcohol-car driving incident a few years back. But now some want to hire and bring in Bob "make it another double, Bartender" Huggins!!

Strange. Very Strange!!
I wish we would have hired Huggins when he went to Kansas state. I can’t stand him. I don’t like him as a person, but he’s a heck of a basketball coach.

He would win immediately at a high level at the school I love.

I care about winning. All of Huggins problems have been self inflicted. He drinks way too much. But stories I’ve heard he’s dropped weight, curtailing the drinking, and he’s really wanting to coach and we could get a hall of fame coach to coach Marshall basketball.

I’ll never understand the cookies and milk crowd that everybody has to like the coach. The coach has to be a choir boy. I don’t care at all if the coach is a good old boy who is really nice. If he can’t win that does nothing for me. Jim Donnan was super arrogant, and in my opinion not that nice of a guy but I LOVED him as our head coach.

Huggins Marshall or Brannen all have baggage and they all would come in here and make Marshall a winner like we haven’t seen probably ever.

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
I wish we would have hired Huggins when he went to Kansas state. I can’t stand him. I don’t like him as a person, but he’s a heck of a basketball coach.

He would win immediately at a high level at the school I love.

I care about winning. All of Huggins problems have been self inflicted. He drinks way too much. But stories I’ve heard he’s dropped weight, curtailing the drinking, and he’s really wanting to coach and we could get a hall of fame coach to coach Marshall basketball.

I’ll never understand the cookies and milk crowd that everybody has to like the coach. The coach has to be a choir boy. I don’t care at all if the coach is a good old boy who is really nice. If he can’t win that does nothing for me. Jim Donnan was super arrogant, and in my opinion not that nice of a guy but I LOVED him as our head coach.

Huggins Marshall or Brannen all have baggage and they all would come in here and make Marshall a winner like we haven’t seen probably ever.
HUGGINS hates Marshall with a passion!! He's such slime that one could easily see where he would deliberately "tank" if he was given the Head Job in HERD Men's basketball!

If we lose Martin and Obinna, one or both, we are in a world of hurt next season. Our bench guys and signed recruits won't come close to replacing their production. Jmo

Dan will be forced to hit the portal for 2-3 kids

- Speculation about the "next coach" is pointless. DD isn't going anywhere, and will handpick his successor. Non-leader CS is not in charge.

- DD will, as always, "find" recruits that no one else wants. It is the lazy way. These simply are not D1 level athletes.

- A good game will be talked up, the results will be the same.

- There was a very brief window for Thugins at MU, when he was fired for drunkenness at Cincinnati and was looking for a job. He wanted things (airplane, better team travel, $$, facility upgrades) we could not afford at the time. We dodged a bullet, the man is a POS. That chapter has ended.

- The Spamites are in a total meltdown over their basketball failures this year. A portion want Thugens back (he will be 71 this year). They have fallen off a cliff, and cannot figure out how to get up. Great.

- Our next coach, which is to after DD retires, CS is finally fired, DD's handpicked successor is fired, and we finally get to pick a proper coach in an ordinary way, sad to say, will be either some retread loser no one has ever heard of, or yet again someone with MU/WV ties who "will never leave us".

This is a token effort.

- Speculation about the "next coach" is pointless. DD isn't going anywhere, and will handpick his successor. Non-leader CS is not in charge.

- DD will, as always, "find" recruits that no one else wants. It is the lazy way. These simply are not D1 level athletes.

- A good game will be talked up, the results will be the same.

- There was a very brief window for Thugins at MU, when he was fired for drunkenness at Cincinnati and was looking for a job. He wanted things (airplane, better team travel, $$, facility upgrades) we could not afford at the time. We dodged a bullet, the man is a POS. That chapter has ended.

- The Spamites are in a total meltdown over their basketball failures this year. A portion want Thugens back (he will be 71 this year). They have fallen off a cliff, and cannot figure out how to get up. Great.

- Our next coach, which is to after DD retires, CS is finally fired, DD's handpicked successor is fired, and we finally get to pick a proper coach in an ordinary way, sad to say, will be either some retread loser no one has ever heard of, or yet again someone with MU/WV ties who "will never leave us".

This is a token effort.
Sam, you are blind, deaf & dumb if you deny that BS can single handedly end this….

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green
HUGGINS hates Marshall with a passion!! He's such slime that one could easily see where he would deliberately "tank" if he was given the Head Job in HERD Men's basketball!
Not true. Well the part about tanking us on purpose. One of my coworkers is close to Huggins and told me that he's pretty pissed at WVU and would love to coach here to stick it those in Morgantown. He would come in here and turn us around just to spurn them for firing him.

Also someone with the coaching reputation that Huggins has isn't going to tank a job on purpose and damage their own reputation. Now would he jump ship at the first chance? Almost certainly.

I think it's difficult for most fans to grasp the fact that coaches and players do not view sports the same way a fan does. It's their job. Which is why players and coaches can change teams like they do.

My thing is this. Because Marshal MBB has been such a basement dweller for so long, I'd be perfectly find selling out souls for some very good championship seasons. I wouldn't be going into this with blind fandom thinking all the sudden that Huggins would be a Son of Marshall.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
If we lose Martin and Obinna, one or both, we are in a world of hurt next season. Our bench guys and signed recruits won't come close to replacing their production. Jmo

Dan will be forced to hit the portal for 2-3 kids
Don't know who/what Coach D is recruiting, but pretty clear that our BENCH is well stocked with D-2 caliber "talent", if that!!

Reactions: RhinoD
Don't know who/what Coach D is recruiting, but pretty clear that our BENCH is well stocked with D-2 caliber "talent", if that!!
We have two DI basketball players... OAK and Martin lined up for next year.

If the two of them bounce (and why wouldn't you) we could have zero DI talent.

DD will cobble together a roster of high school kids from within a 2 hour drive of Huntington, a transfer or two from smaller programs (the way we ended up getting Curfman), and a flame out from a bigger program that will be touted as "a great addition." ... And we will finish 10th in a 14 team league again next year.

But if results don't matter, and it appears they don't, why would DD or anyone else involved with the program bust their asses to improve?

I would suggest we schedule down to get more wins, but we already play a joke of a non-conference schedule, and sit in a league outside the top 15 in RPI (18th out of 32 leagues). We can't really schedule anymore "down."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
If Huggins is pissed maybe he should take a long look in the mirror.
I mean true. The relationship has been souring for a whole though and if we got to capitalize on him trying to stick it to them then good.

It's not most likely never happening though.
1. We're not hiring Huggins
2. Dan most likely isn't going anywhere.

Strange. Very Strange!!
Only strange if you dislike being guaranteed a winner… He would dominate in the Sunbelt. But you are right, I am sure having a winning program that actually has a competitive chance to win titles and gain NCAA bids would clearly be strange to many Herd basketball fans.

That is laughable. He may not be a big D’Antoni fan, but he does NOT hate Marshall. And to think he would “tank” the program on purpose (and diminish his place in the college basketball world)? Silly.

Reactions: Herdguy04

Nailed it. Will be no different with the new hire. MU just doesn’t care about winning in men’s bball, which makes no sense. You can make a lot of money by making the tournament and a lot of press also.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT