ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri State?

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
Springfield MO paper (paywalled) is reporting that Missouri State (formerly South West Missouri State, the governor is an alumni and de-directionaled it, much to the objection of the other directional Missouris) is contemplating moving up to I-A and the SBC.

The school has 20K students, has a 17.5K seat football stadium built in the 40s renovated in the 00s; play basketball in and arena that also functions as the town’s civic center (11K seats, built in 2008), has a separate soccer stadium, and shares the baseball park with the Cardinals AA team.

Two NAIA basketball championships in the 50s, moved to Div I in the 80s, 6 NCAA tournaments, getting as deep as the Sweet 16, none since 99. 16 women’s NCAA appearances. Four I-AA playoff appearances, only won one game once. Coach is POS Bobby Petrino.

Springfield is the #74 TV marker (Huntington - Charleston is #75).

Pass. Apply to CUSA.

The only way you add Missouri State is if you hook a big fish in the East and "need" to add a team in the West to round out a 16-team conference.

There has been some talk about ECU being unhappy where they are (back in original CUSA essentially)... If the SBC were to poach the Pirates (think of that East Division) then maybe Missouri State has been informed that they are also on the league's radar.

That said, CUSA should have definitely looked at Missouri State over some of their choices... But as usual, they made poor decisions.

The Belt at 14 should only add a team if the team brings a big brand and/or adds value to league. I'd be fine shrinking to 12 team before desperately adding a school like that.

potential longer term value adds if the landscape continues to change or teams tire of the widespread conference they are in - - ECU, UAB????

Reactions: MUTHFAN
The Belt at 14 should only add a team if the team brings a big brand and/or adds value to league. I'd be fine shrinking to 12 team before desperately adding a school like that.

potential longer term value adds if the landscape continues to change or teams tire of the widespread conference they are in - - ECU, UAB????
The two teams I have heard being "displeased" with the current realignment as it is unfolding are ECU and USF... And of course they'd never say that publicly, just some message board banter and some veiled statements.

Reactions: 19MU88
The only way you add Missouri State is if you hook a big fish in the East and "need" to add a team in the West to round out a 16-team conference.

There has been some talk about ECU being unhappy where they are (back in original CUSA essentially)... If the SBC were to poach the Pirates (think of that East Division) then maybe Missouri State has been informed that they are also on the league's radar.

That said, CUSA should have definitely looked at Missouri State over some of their choices... But as usual, they made poor decisions.
Agree. If ECU joins the east then Mo state is a no brainer for the west

I personally have zero interest in Missouri State. 14 teams is a big conference and 16 teams is a big big conference. You only add to 16 if it upgrades the conference, Missouri state would be one of the weakest teams in the conference.

ECU would be an obvious candidate worth expanding for and there are better candidates to bring with them to even the west or set up a 4 team pod system; namely USF, UAB, Tulane, MTSU or WKU.

ECU made a huge mistake in joining the AAC. Arseco’s snake oil has always been that being in a big city means being significant in a big city. AAC 1.0 was that, and got raided when the Little 8 need to restock as a mid-major conference when the Big 2 moved up, and the AAC raided CUSA purely on market size, not team quality and announced to the world that he was doubling down on the P6 idiocy.

Who doesn’t belong? In AAC 1.0 or 2.0? ECU. ECU isn’t in a city. It is in a small town in the Carolina Sand Hills, that belt of poverty that lies between the booming Piedmont and relaxing coast. While Arseco is trying to sell the snake oil that ECU= Raleigh-Durham or even ECU=North Carolina, no body, not even ECU’s most drone like supporters buys that.

Memphis, Tampa, Dallas, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Tulsa, Birmingham, West Palm Beach, Charlotte, Dallas again, Houston, San Antonio. And Greenville, NC. Which doesn’t belong.

So, probably ECU is unhappy.

Too bad. You made your bed. Lie in it. Enjoy the snake oil.

Who doesn’t belong? In AAC 1.0 or 2.0? ECU. ECU isn’t in a city. It is in a small town in the Carolina Sand Hills, that belt of poverty that lies between the booming Piedmont and relaxing coast. While Arseco is trying to sell the snake oil that ECU= Raleigh-Durham or even ECU=North Carolina, no body, not even ECU’s most drone like supporters buys that.

Memphis, Tampa, Dallas, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Tulsa, Birmingham, West Palm Beach, Charlotte, Dallas again, Houston, San Antonio. And Greenville, NC. Which doesn’t belong.

So, probably ECU is unhappy.

Too bad. You made your bed. Lie in it. Enjoy the snake oil.
I lived 40 mins from Greenville, NC for about 7 years after I graduated from MU... The running joke always was that the Raleigh/Durham TV stations would show ECU highlights with the "other" small schools around the state and not with Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest. They'd have a package for the ACC, then go to commercial, come back, and show clips of the "others."

People east of I-95 in NC, love ECU... They have a very active alumni group, they sell a ton of merchandise (being the Pirates and being a couple hours from the beach is great for marketing) and they get a lot of support. Once you cross I-95, everything turns to the four ACC teams.

Springfield MO paper (paywalled) is reporting that Missouri State (formerly South West Missouri State, the governor is an alumni and de-directionaled it, much to the objection of the other directional Missouris) is contemplating moving up to I-A and the SBC.

The school has 20K students, has a 17.5K seat football stadium built in the 40s renovated in the 00s; play basketball in and arena that also functions as the town’s civic center (11K seats, built in 2008), has a separate soccer stadium, and shares the baseball park with the Cardinals AA team.

Two NAIA basketball championships in the 50s, moved to Div I in the 80s, 6 NCAA tournaments, getting as deep as the Sweet 16, none since 99. 16 women’s NCAA appearances. Four I-AA playoff appearances, only won one game once. Coach is POS Bobby Petrino.

Springfield is the #74 TV marker (Huntington - Charleston is #75).

Pass. Apply to CUSA.

Goddamn Sam, as a representative of CUSA and secret hater of new MU head coaches, AD's, and ideas, how does Missouri State fit into CUSA?
As someone with little/no experience with SBC and had been rallying against it, I am shocked you claim to have such profound knowledge of the SBC.
I would cite links but you went into the archives and deleted your posts, which is a Judy-like approach to trying to look competent.

So, I ask, why is Missouri State good for CUSA?

Reactions: raleighherdfan
So, I ask, why is Missouri State good for CUSA?
Not to defend Sam here... But I would take Missouri State over Jacksonville State.

Missouri State is the second largest university in Missouri, in a relatively nice small city, and would be only the second FBS team in the state... JSU is the fifth largest university in "economically challenged" Alabama and will be the fourth FBS program (and lets be honest, after Bama and Auburn, no one really gives a damn).

Not to defend Sam here... But I would take Missouri State over Jacksonville State.

Missouri State is the second largest university in Missouri, in a relatively nice small city, and would be only the second FBS team in the state... JSU is the fifth largest university in "economically challenged" Alabama and will be the fourth FBS program (and lets be honest, after Bama and Auburn, no one really gives a damn).
I’d agree with that. Compare it to Coastal Carolina. The 3rd FBS program in a relatively small state, newer program so not as many fans or alumni, plus there are several FCS programs in SC.

I agree 100%. Mo State is all you said and a nice add for some conference. I went to school in Springfield for Seminary so I agree it is a nice smaller city not far from Branson Mo a nice tourist spot.

If ECU joins then you take WKU imo.
I would be excited to see that, but I also kind of have a feeling if ECU were to come to the sun belt; 1 the money has to be right, with the sun belt getting better or equivalent tv deals and 2 ECU brings with them whomever they want to bring. I’m not sure what their motives would be other than maybe trying to bring a Florida school. I think that’s the state with the third largest amount of alumni for them.

Pass. Apply to CUSA.
Seeing how he went after that newspaper reporter for "hacking", I do not think you have worry about his competency to wiggle them into the conference.

I would be excited to see that, but I also kind of have a feeling if ECU were to come to the sun belt; 1 the money has to be right, with the sun belt getting better or equivalent tv deals and 2 ECU brings with them whomever they want to bring. I’m not sure what their motives would be other than maybe trying to bring a Florida school. I think that’s the state with the third largest amount of alumni for them.
ECU has absolutely no bargaining power.
"We're ECU, we're at the bottom of the AAC and have been forever. We have the weakest budget too. Let us in, oh and we demand ________ school comes to."

The SBC would laugh them out of the room.

The SBC knows what its doing. They'd extend an offer to whomever they felt was worthy and would add value to their already valuable brand.
I doubt ECU is it.

For now, the SBC is fine with their additions, and ECU is still stuck at the bottom of their crap conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT