ADVERTISEMENT

New Indiana Law bad for business?

Chevy1

Platinum Buffalo
Oct 26, 2002
This Indiana law has created a huge stir. Bands cancelling appearances, businesses tabling expansion in the state with CEOs requesting the legislature "De-Nut" this bill because it's bad for business. The mayor of Indianapolis has also requested the bill get $hitcanned because organizations and events that would consider Indianapolis as a convention spot have put that location on the back burner (which is too bad because Indy is a great town).

Thought the below article was a good viewpoint on the Law.

Interesting article in The Atlantic on this issue.

Now I see why libs are so upset. "For Profit Corporations" have been given more latitude in the religion context according to this article. The outrage is still hilarious. Faux outrage.

Bad for business????????? Tell that to Texas and the millions that keep moving there for the very reason that business is booming. The only "nuts" are the ones that seem to have gone off the deep end on a law that took the media several days to find 2 minor differences in a law that will result in nothing different in future outcomes when actually compared to the numerous laws that resemble it.

Welcome to election season. Dems needed a different media template to move past the fact Hillary is a felon. Just like every 4 years we hear..... Christian Zealots, Conservative bigots, right wing nuts. The political play book is the same. Next up......Repubs will take away abortions, republicans are for the rich, blah, blah, blah.

The only thing this is bad for is exposing the hypocrisy of the Left who cared so much about this that they didn't boycott other states with similar (and in many cases more strict and more encompassing) laws. The mob Left is beginning to be a dangerous thing in our democracy.

The author of this article is gay and is a big proponent and defender of gay marriage, but I guess he must be self-hating, or whatever the gay version of an Oreo is...

"You Didn't Say Anything about the Gay Stuff.

That's because the words "gay," "lesbian," and "sexual orientation" don't appear in any of the RFRAs. Until now, the most controversial RFRA case was last year's It doesn't.)

This big gay freak-out is purely notional. No RFRA has ever been used successfully to defend anti-gay discrimination, not in twenty years of RFRAs nationwide.
Why Is Everyone So Mad about Indiana's RFRA, Then?
The fear is that it could be used to deny service to gay people in places of public accommodation like businesses and restaurants. But, as discussed above, no RFRA has ever been used that way before. Also, Indiana does not have a public accommodation law that protects against anti-gay discrimination, meaning there's no state law in Indiana preventing anti-gay discrimination in businesses even before the state RFRA was enacted. Notably, despite the lack of such a law, nobody can point to any Indiana businesses that were discriminating against gays.

That's what makes this an informed attribute. Gay marriage is on many people's minds lately, for obvious reasons. In truth, though, Indiana is merely catching-up to states that have had RFRAs for decades-like Illinois, for example, which got its RFRA with the help of a young state senator named Barack Obama. Unfortunately, Indiana is now caught in the cultural cross-fire."

Link

Indiana Republican says bill targets gays, and will give lawyers lots of revenue (surprise, surpise!).

Senate Bill 101 may have signaled "religious freedom" to the vast majority of his Republican peers, but to state Rep. Ed Clere, it said something else entirely.
"Do we want our sign to say 'Welcome?' " the New Albany Republican said Friday. "Or do we want our sign to say 'Closed for Business?' Or 'Certain people aren't welcome?' Or, as some have suggested, 'We don't accept fill-in-the-blank?' "
Clere is one of just five Republicans in the Indiana General Assembly who bucked their party line and voted "no" on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
Four of the five - all members of the Indiana House - spoke to The Star about their votes last week, as Indiana was thrust into a heated national discussion about whether the bill protects religious rights or promotes state-sanctioned intolerance.
Signed into law Thursday by Republican Gov. Mike Pence, RFRA sets up a new litmus test for Indiana courts, prohibiting state or local governments from "substantially burdening" a person's ability to exercise religion, unless the government can meet certain criteria.
Religious conservatives hailed the bill as providing a much-needed check against government forcing those who have strong faiths to violate their principles. Opponents fear it will be used as a license to discriminate, because it might encourage business owners to cite their religious beliefs if they wish to refuse service to someone.
Much of the focus of the debate has been the implications of whether the bill sent a discriminatory message to gays and lesbians and same-sex couples.
Clere said there's no doubt it did.
He said that while his fellow Republicans have tried to downplay that aspect, "it's impossible to separate it" so soon after a failed Republican-led push to amend the state's constitution to ban same-sex marriages.
"I know supporters of RFRA have said it's not about gay people or gay rights, but it's unavoidable," Clere said.
Clere said he also couldn't support the bill because no one really knows what it actually can or can't do.
"The only sure thing about this legislation from a legal standpoint is it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and will provide work for a lot of attorneys," he said.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/03/30/meet-indiana-republicans-voted-rfra/70568776/

Originally posted by pj(HN):
All Indiana has to do is put into place Anti-Discrimination laws that protect the Gay community and this is such a non-issue...
Or the gays could just go on about their business and stop demanding that people like them. If a guy doesn't want to sell them a cake find somebody who will. You can't make people like you.

I fire customers all the time.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke MU:

Originally posted by i am herdman:

I fire customers all the time.
I call BS. Why would you drop a commission? And anyway, you don't fire them because God told you to, right?
I am serious. I have been doing this too long. I don't need the headache past a certain level. Sometimes there are folks who are not worth dealing with. I don't think God cares about my commission nor the amount I sell.
This post was edited on 3/31 5:51 PM by i am herdman

Don't let political ideology obscure the facts. The republican mayor and republican CEOs are coming out against the law. They fear a discriminatory law will impact hiring....plus, they don't want to subject their employees to discrimination.....neither do organizations who might desire to hold a meeting or event in Indianapolis. Simple fact is, the law is getting in the way of conducting business....maximizing profits and minimizing losses. Tough to realiize profit maximization when people don't want to conduct business at your location.

Indiana's a fine state and Indianapolis is a first class city. Hope they get it right. In the meantime, cracks about "libs" screwing this up is simply regurgitating Rush Limbaugh's talk points. The facts are the facts....apparently, there are some conservative republicans who know a turd when they smell it....and are demanding change.

Originally posted by GeauxHerd:
How is it really going to affect anyone? Like for real. Not being able to buy flowers or a cake from a store doesn't count either.
I don't get it either. How does it really affect anyone? And, could you order a freakin' wedding cake without anyone knowing you are gay? Dang, they are just an overpriced white cake made up all fancy with towers and flowers.

The libs are trying to get the republicans to back down. It's a power play is all. Gays won't have to ride on the back of the bus or drink from a gay only water fountain (shaped likes penis)

Chevy honest question. Do you not think the liberal faux rage has anythig to do with the republicans "backing" down?

Absolutely. Is it "faux rage"? Is it rage at all?

What elevated this more in the public eye were comments from NCAA and sports media since the final four is scheduled there next week. Pretty tough for a national event to take place where discriminatory laws are in place. Maybe, if this issue wasn't signed into law on the heels of the Final Four then it would have been just another Sunday paper editorial. Who knows?

Originally posted by Chevy1:

What elevated this more in the public eye were comments from NCAA and sports media since the final four is scheduled there next week. Pretty tough for a national event to take place where discriminatory laws are in place. Maybe, if this issue wasn't signed into law on the heels of the Final Four then it would have been just another Sunday paper editorial. Who knows?
For the NCAA to hop up on their high horse & act like they have any moral superiority is complete horseshit. They're still punishing the state of South Carolina over a damn flag that doesn't even fly on the capital anymore.

No one living in Indiana is going to go to a business there because the state passed a law that doesn't discriminate against anyone? No one is going to conduct business with companies in a state because a govt granted a law that insures individual freedoms in that state? With Chevy's logic the other 19 states with this law should have boarded up their states long ago and America as a country might as well implode because the constitution doesn't mean a thing. The hypocrisy goes beyond the lefts fake outrage and misrepresentation of the law itself. The fact that the usual anti corporation whiners now use the excuse that big businesses are also against this as proof of this being discriminatory is also pretty hilarious and pathetic. The belly aching and bitching about this says more about the discriminating subconscious thoughts and actions of the left than it does about the facts of the law or its intention.

The one consistency I do see is the clear fact that anytime a law is passed that happens to protect the (religious) rights of citizens from govt interference, lefties will go to the mats to destroy it. Even if they have to shut their eyes and hold their nose when using a made up excuse that it's "bad for business".

How much money is the NCAA making off the black man while not fairly paying him!

Slave Labor!

How is it really going to affect anyone? Like for real. Not being able to buy flowers or a cake from a store doesn't count either.
I guess along that line of thinking, it didn't affect any of those colored folks to not get served, either.

Perhaps one day someone will treat you as less than an equal human being and then you can get back to us.

Originally posted by raleighherdfan:

protect the (religious) rights of citizens from govt interference
I have yet to see the government tell anyone they cannot worship the god or spirit (or frog or star or whatever pleases them) of their choosing. Hell, if Scientology (a scam) is still legal there is still pretty damn near absolute freedom of religion.

"Political notions"? I choose to focus on the ignorant premise by those that suggest simply because a law is passed with the word "Religion" in it, that businesses all across the state of Indiana are suddenly going to start profiling their customer's sexual orientation and stop selling their goods and services to the ones who are gay.

Suddenly you guys take what a republican CEO says seriously too??? That is as rich as their bank accounts you usually complain about.

Suddenly you guys take what a republican CEO says seriously too??? That is as rich as their bank accounts you usually complain about.
First, merely reciting what has appeared in the news. However, I suppose the CEO's employees might listen-up....or businesses that serve as a supplier...or rely on the CEO's employees to maintain a business may pay some attention. Gainful employment normally generates interest.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
The left and GOP chamber of commerce elites will do business with countries that stone gay people to death, but won't do business with Indiana. #logic
That's true. Is that really an acceptable reason to allow this bill to continue as written?

It's obvious that leftists like pj only support the rights of people on their side, while they couldnt care less about the rights of those whom they don't agree with. Why are gays a protected class but Chrisitians aren't? Why force someone to act against their beliefs?

This isnt a gay/Christian thing. Its a freedom thing. Liberals hate freedom, period. They want the government to force its will on those of whom they disagree in order to get the things they want. Typical authoritarians.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say indy doesn't lose one dollar over the of the final four based on this law. If someone wants cancel their tix and hotel stay, I know about 10,000 people just across the border in KY that would be happy to take their place.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Not getting served cupcakes doesn't count as being less of a human being. Black people suffered real desrimination (separate facilities, not being able to eat at a restaurant, sprayed with water cannons, harassed into not being able to vote, lynched etc) gays get politely told no thanks it's against our faith to make this cake for your wedding and then it goes all keeping it real goes wrong. And the libs start protesting in the street and pretend it's like a real civil rights march like their liberal grand parents talked about. And then are like "this is our chance maaaan". "gotta be on the right side of history maaaan".

BS. History is what you make it. There is no right or wrong side.

Someone show me a New Testament Biblical scripture where a Christian shouldn't bake a cake or make a flower arrangement, etc for a gay couple. OK, time's up. There are none. What happens with all this religious freedom controversy if Christians simply follow the commandment of Jesus to love everyone and treat them as they'd like to be treated?

the CEO's employees might listen-up....or businesses that serve as a supplier...or rely on the CEO's employees to maintain a business may pay some attention. Gainful employment normally generates interest.
Huh?

You are making about as much sense as a Sistersville post. Just admit to actually believing a law will magically turn a majority of Indiana businesses (who don't discriminate) into bigots so those of us that actually own businesses and run them effectively can laugh at you. Your premise is absurd while also demonstrating where the real bigotry is formulated and promoted.

Actually I got this thing figured out. The gays (employer) wanting these Christian businesses to make their cakes etc. are creating a hostile work environment for the employee (bakery owner) and are therefore in violation of the civil rights act 1964 title vii. Making someone perform work against their religion (which is a protected class versus homosexuals which are not) is violating their civil rights.

Originally posted by extragreen:
Someone show me a New Testament Biblical scripture where a Christian shouldn't bake a cake or make a flower arrangement, etc for a gay couple. OK, time's up. There are none. What happens with all this religious freedom controversy if Christians simply follow the commandment of Jesus to love everyone and treat them as they'd like to be treated?
as usual, Greed misses the larger point of this debate. The opponents of this law care nothing about what a particular Christian reads or doesn't read in the Bible unless they can mock its use in anyway. In fact, most opponents laugh at the whole premise of the Bible as word of God to begin with. Lets not even get into their whole (non) belief of Jesus/son of god aspect. (By the way. What bible verse describes the use of e meters during auditing??)

Second, and IMO, the more important absurdity being asserted in this discussion, is the suggestion that business owners like Greed (if operating in a state with this law implemented) would suddenly begin denying the sale of kitchen cabinets to gay chefs and their spouses (despite the law permitting no such discrimination on such a broad scope).

So what right or priviledge does this law afford that isn't already provided by the US Constitution? Why is this law so important to the Religious right?

Originally posted by extragreen:
What happens with all this religious freedom controversy if Christians simply follow the commandment of Jesus to love everyone and treat them as they'd like to be treated?
It all goes away.

"Political notions"? I choose to focus on the ignorant premise by those that suggest simply because a law is passed with the word "Religion" in it, that businesses all across the state of Indiana are suddenly going to start profiling their customer's sexual orientation and stop selling their goods and services to the ones who are gay.

One is too many.

Given a choice between the religious right segment of the GOP and the CEO segment, I'll take the CEO segment any day. While many of them care more about the dollar than their country, that is capitalism in a nutshell. A bear can't help shitting in the woods.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
The left and GOP chamber of commerce elites will do business with countries that stone gay people to death, but won't do business with Indiana. #logic
I guess they figure the savages cannot help themselves. Given the nature of pure capitalism the federal government should have the stones to block such trade if the people are offended by it. Fact is, that trade is believed to be good for national security...I would argue that point, but it is what it is.

Not getting served cupcakes doesn't count as being less of a human being. Black people suffered real desrimination (separate facilities, not being able to eat at a restaurant, sprayed with water cannons, harassed into not being able to vote, lynched etc)
What is "real discrimination"?

Why this fascination with cupcakes? Are you a cupcake? Anyway, you said gays not being served by a business is different than blacks not being served. That doesn't even make sense.

The last three things you listed are not discrimination; that stuff was terrorism.

No right or wrong side to history? I don't know what that means, either. Do you mean history does not judge the actions of people? Since when is that the case?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT