ADVERTISEMENT

New York Choke Hold Case

There is 100% agreement on this from conservative and liberal pundits on twitter.

This is a disgrace (and yet another Democrat District Attorney failing at his job)

So does everyone get how, even if the Michael Brown case was decided correctly, people might think that it may not have been looked at seriously?

Hokies, people no matter how thoroughly explained will always question something if it doesn't fit with their world view. The Brown shooting is no different.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Right, but it's a lot harder to say 'a fair process decided he didnt do anything wrong' when examples like this show that the process is not fair, at least or expecially when it involved cops.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
Right, but it's a lot harder to say 'a fair process decided he didnt do anything wrong' when examples like this show that the process is not fair, at least or expecially when it involved cops.
Again. What was "not fair" about Brown's case?

Grand juries have a lower burden of proof in order to make an indictment and potentially deliver justice in the first place. Anyone suggesting grand juries "are not fair" are demonstrating their complete ignorance in the process. Simply continuing to say..."not fair, not fair, not fair" perpetuates the lazy ignorant and intentional misinformation of what the facts actually showed in Ferguson.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
The problem is that in the Brown case there were multiple black people testifying to the grand jury sides of the story that completely supported the officers perspective. Brown robbed a place then the shit hit the fan.

This guy in New York was on video, he did nothing at all wrong. He was being questioned for selling loose smokes. The video tells the story and it was way over the top police aggression.

Your worried about a fair process for Brown, when it was, and completely ignoring the tarnish that Brown put on this case.

It's an absolute disgrace that this cop isn't being charged with murder.

The Brown case is completely different.

Originally posted by murox:
It's an absolute disgrace that this cop isn't being charged with murder.

The Brown case is completely different.
That's exactly right, Rox. And I'm glad there are people who understand that.

What I've witnessed over the last couple of weeks is just mind boggling to me. The grand jury investigation in the Ferguson shooting was one of the most thorough I've ever seen in my life. The rallying cry of "Hands up, don't shoot!" not only was exposed to be a lie, it actually proved that a lot of people will blatantly make stuff up or lie to make a situation far worse than it actually is. But now, Brown's been made out to be a martyr when nothing could further from the truth. And a LOT of people resent the fact a town burned over a fallacy.

With the Garner death, no one is saying the cops didn't use excessive force. But people are ignoring everything that came out in the Brown shooting & trying to use this death to justify their anger in Ferguson. Given what people now know between Brown's death & Garner's homicide, which one would have actually warranted the outrage? But you know why his death isn't going to get the true outrage it deserves? Because that crowd chicken-littled the shit out Ferguson & now they're gun shy.

I am not familiar with this case. Did he resist arrest? What lead to this? Had he already been told he was going to be place under arrest? Was he just breaking up a fight? I never really heard of this case before.

herdman, here are two videos on the incident. i hadnt seen the second one until today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ka4oKu1jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYSnp1UGVGc

Originally posted by wisemaniac:
Hokies, people no matter how thoroughly explained will always question something if it doesn't fit with their world view. The Brown shooting is no different.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
This has been something I've been preaching for a while now. People allow their previously held belief system and subscribed ideology to dictate how they interpret things even if it means they have to stretch the boundaries of intellectual honesty and rational thought to do so. It's almost embarrassing for me to see otherwise intelligent people twist the obvious in order to score points or some kind of perceived victory for their team. If the facts of the case (Ferguson) was presented to this board without the identification of race and isolated from the opinion of those they consider their adversary, I guarantee you opinions would be very similar.

The most liberating decision I've ever made (probably more of an evolution than a decision) was to completely remove myself from the shackles of ideological thinking. At some point you have to figure out that if you continue to pour facts and events into the mold of of ideology, no matter what you put in, when it sets it will always come out looking the same.

This post was edited on 12/4 5:55 AM by GK4Herd

Ok, now you know I am going to raise a few eyebrows, but please don't take this the wrong way. You probably will anyway, at least some pe0ple.

If you can't breath how can you be saying, "I can't breath"? Several times.

I bet this is how the cop got no indictment. Not saying I agree with it at this point and time, but looking at it objectively.

I am guessing that is the angle his attorneys used.

It played out like this:

1)Guy says he broke up a fight. But from what I have read there were other circumstances involving the illegal sale of tobacco products. Maybe he did break up a fight, but there were other circumstances as to why the cops where there.

2)This wasn't his first rodeo.

3)He was problem told he was going to be taken in and that was what the debate was about in the video.

4)It was obvious he was a little distraught.

5)They had to take him in and it some point it had to come to that conclusion

6)they move in for the arrest and the "hold" took place. We really don't know if it was a choke hold, cobra clutch, sleeper, or technique used to make a guy comply with commands.

7)Dude had the opportunity to comply and obey command, whether he agrees with it or not. It is probably best to let your attorney fight the battle. Again, that is just my advice.

8)Hold takes place until he goes down

9)Dude is a big man and expires.

Now, I bet the cops attorney played the angle of what type of hold it was, training, protocol, guy wasn't complying, etc.

I bet there is more to the story. I have witnessed this stuff first hand. My neighbor came over and told me something about a case that involved someone I knew. I knew all the details. You would be surprised as to how things get twisted, bent, retold the wrong way. Some intentional and some fabrication.

You also have to ask yourself and this is how it works. I have sat through the class and had police and attorneys tell me:

What would a reasonable person do it that situation after reviewing all the facts? That is the other angle. You have to put yourself in the cops or whoever, doesn't have to be a cop.

Anyway. I think this is how the cop got out of it. For the record, I am not condoning it just saying how he got out of it. I would have to know all the facts to make a conclusion and not just a video on you tube.

For the record, I generally don't trust cops. I don't trust most people unless I really know them.

So, my advice to you is get a freakin' lawyer if you need to. I don't like them too much either, but you have to know when to call a professional in.

I thought Wilson was self-defense but this cop got away with murder. He should have been indicted, no excuse for this guy to walk.

The one thing that hopefully comes out of this is an expose on how idiotic these "sin taxes" are and how they disproportionately hurt minorities and the poor.

And that the "let's make more laws" crowd understands who enforces these inane laws.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
The one thing that hopefully comes out of this is an expose on how idiotic these "sin taxes" are and how they disproportionately hurt minorities and the poor.

And that the "let's make more laws" crowd understands who enforces these inane laws.

Won't happen keep. Don't you know the nanny state knows best

Originally posted by i am herdman:

So, my advice to you is get a freakin' lawyer if you need to. I don't like them too much either, but you have to know when to call a professional in.
Those who lawyer up are guilty, those who don't are fools.

If this was a fat white guy who died like this, we would never hear or know anything about it. It's all race war bullshit and an extra excuse for some people to feel good about getting welfare checks.

I don't think they should have choked the guy to death, but I also think Fat Albert should have just shut the hell up from the very beginning. Mouthing off to the cops is the thug way. I've dealt with cops before. Was scared to death and just shut the hell up and let them aggravate the hell out of me. They didn't choke me or shoot me.

This post was edited on 12/4 7:29 PM by Walden Pond

Originally posted by i am herdman:

7)Dude had the opportunity to comply and obey command, whether he agrees with it or not. It is probably best to let your attorney fight the battle. Again, that is just my advice.
That is the smartest thing to do.

I can't see enough from the video to make a judgement call. I have heard the autopsy did not show an injury to the throat. I honestly can't say anything unless I had all the evidence.

And I don't care if chokes are banned from the NYPD. They can fire the cop if they wish, if that is the case. I know it isn't easy to get a 400 pound man down to the ground.

Raoul,

I heard an interview with Rudy Guianliani yesterday. He brought up the points that you and I did. He believes this is why the cop was not indicted. Rudy was a former prosecutor before politics. He said exactly what I did. This guy did not comply and brought the situation on himself. Two, how can you be choking when you are talking. You are not. He said if the officer had a legitimate choke on the guy he would have not been able to breathe.

Now, yes the laws might be stupid in regard to selling the cigs or whatever, but this guy should have complied. Gone in for questioning and not been belligerent. As soon as the cops moved in and reached out to take him in when he moved and shuffled he brought it on himself. Being 400 pounds they were going to take him down and it wasn't going to be easy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT