ADVERTISEMENT

NHR - Not trying to be mean, but...

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
This is the photo on the front of UConn's football website... I know its supposed to be a cute pic of the mascot, but showing off the "Big 'ol girl" cheer team and a 85% empty stadium is hilarious to me.

Cropping is important.

crop

This is the photo on the front of UConn's football website... I know its supposed to be a cute pic of the mascot, but showing off the "Big 'ol girl" cheer team and a 85% empty stadium is hilarious to me.

Cropping is important.

crop
I caught a few of their games on TV, Liberty and UMass. They are a decent team but the fan support was pitiful - especially for an area as big as Hartford.

Reactions: RhinoD
Connecticut just is not a college football state. No non-alumni there thinks of the school named for the state as having some sort of relationship with himself. It is mostly an MLB place. That and the college that the people there actually went to.

Reactions: RhinoD
Connecticut just is not a college football state. No non-alumni there thinks of the school named for the state as having some sort of relationship with himself. It is mostly an MLB place. That and the college that the people there actually went to.
Its really the whole Northeast culturally just isn't that into college football... I grew up on the PA/NY border and when I was a kid the sports world revolved around the Knicks/76ers, Yankees/Mets, Steelers/Bills/Giants. Those were the teams my grandpa and his buddies, all my unlces, all followed religiously.

College basketball had a pretty decent following -- Syracuse, St. Johns, Pitt, etc. but not as big as the NBA.

They didn't give a rats ass about Syracuse, Rutgers, Boston College, etc. football... The one exception was Penn State.

Penn State joining the B1G, along with three rounds of the Big East being watered down pretty much lead to the demise of northeastern college sports.

UCONN is a basketball school. I am not even sure why they sponsor football anymore let alone FBS level football. Especially after going independent.

UCONN is a basketball school. I am not even sure why they sponsor football anymore let alone FBS level football. Especially after going independent.
Same with UMass... There is no way in the world football can be breaking even at UMass... Getting railed by 40 against any team with a pulse doesn't exactly help drum up fan support. lol

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Same with UMass... There is no way in the world football can be breaking even at UMass... Getting railed by 40 against any team with a pulse doesn't exactly help drum up fan support. lol
Back when Blake transferred I kept tabs on him. He was a good kid that was hard not to root for. Anyways I remember reading back then that they were having several meetings about either dropping down to FCS or dropping football all together.

This also is why further expansion of the FBS is asinine. So many of these member institutions are either unable to or choose not to make much of a committed effort to be a championship level football program.

To quote that great American philosopher, Hi-C "Big Girls Need Love Too."

On another note, The Athletic did a nice article on Jim Mora and the UConn program. They're building and they have a Penn State transfer at QB who is hurt and a freshman from St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida who will be the starter. They beat both BC and UMass and declared themselves the "Kings of New England."

To quote that great American philosopher, Hi-C "Big Girls Need Love Too."

On another note, The Athletic did a nice article on Jim Mora and the UConn program. They're building and they have a Penn State transfer at QB who is hurt and a freshman from St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida who will be the starter. They beat both BC and UMass and declared themselves the "Kings of New England."

That's like claiming to be the tallest midget.

We simply cannot lose to a northeast Yankee team. Do not let us choke to a Yankee team.

Reactions: Elkview
Factually at Connecticut there are only two Legitimate D1 College Sports: Women's Basketball and Men's Basketball!

Factually at Connecticut there are only two Legitimate D1 College Sports: Women's Basketball and Men's Basketball!

Their baseball program is extremely successful. Eight Regional appearances over the past 12 years. Last year, they were one game from the College World Series.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Must have forgotten women’s field hockey were they won 5 National championships

Not hard to forget, 72. Like the rifle program at WVU, how extensively is women's field hockey played throughout D1 college sports? 12, 15, 20 or so schools, perhaps, sponsor such sports. Maybe like "beach volleyball" also, played in Florida, CA and Hawaii, and totally ignored in the other 47 States. WVU goes bat crap crazy over a NCAA rifle title, when only a dozen, maybe two, schools have such programs. Same with women's fh, I'm pretty sure!

Reactions: The Real SamC
Not hard to forget, 72. Like the rifle program at WVU, how extensively is women's field hockey played throughout D1 college sports? 12, 15, 20 or so schools, perhaps, sponsor such sports. Maybe like "beach volleyball" also, played in Florida, CA and Hawaii, and totally ignored in the other 47 States. WVU goes bat crap crazy over a NCAA rifle title, when only a dozen, maybe two, schools have such programs. Same with women's fh, I'm pretty sure!

or 80 programs.

Easy way to find the answer.

WVU goes bat crap crazy over a NCAA rifle title
Few remember that in 2002 or 2003 wvu cut the rifle team in order to save money. Even though its operating costs weren't all that much, it was about as much as an assistant's football coach's salary, so why keep it around? Nobody cares about this sport. Then everybody got all butthurt about the rifle team being eliminated, even though nobody ever gave a damn about it despite it being the best in the country. Now the rifle team is something they are very proud of. To be fair, I don't blame them. It's pretty cheap. As cheap as women's bowling. It's an Olympic sport. I love rifle and pistol competition. However, the fact is, they never cared about it before their athletic department decided to get rid of it to save money. Now they are like "oh, our rifle team is the best in the world, etc. etc, etc...." Everyone else is exactly the same way they themselves were before 2003, "who the hell cares about rifle anyway?"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT